PDA

View Full Version : Bay Meadows On the Block?

NoDayJob
02-11-2005, 02:35 PM
It looks as if Bay Meadows will be sold and a commercial development will be the replacement. There's a meeting in San Mateo, later this month, regarding its fate. Unless an Indian Tribe gets in on the act, Bay Meadows is dead meat in my opinion. That leaves only Golden Gate Fields and the remaining fair tracks in NorCal. This may be a blessing in disguise for the overworked horses.

NDJ

chickenhead
02-11-2005, 03:21 PM
This could work out great for me, Sonoma is already looking to pick up the Solano dates, if they could get the BM fair dates as well they could run from July 14th-Aug. 23.

pmd62ndst
02-11-2005, 04:11 PM
They've been talking about that since 1992. In fact, here's a quote from Bay Meadows President Jack Liebau in a Feb 2nd article from the San Francisco Chronicle:

The thing that is so ironic about the situation is that when I came in 1992, there was a plan to move all of Bay Meadows' racing dates to Golden Gate Fields and sell this property. That led to discussions and proxy fights between two factions, and ever since then, there always has been this concern that this is Bay Meadows' last year. I still take that with a grain of salt some 12 years later.

Here's the full article about how the Bay Meadows Group bought out Magna to form their own independent operation:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/02/SPG7QB49811.DTL

Have you gotten any information in the last week or so that would have changed their situation?

PMD

NoDayJob
02-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Have you gotten any information in the last week or so that would have changed their situation? PMD

The meeting later this month will disclose the future of Bay Meadows. The group was counting on slots to save the track from redevelopment. Many of the track employees will be at the hearing. That tells me they have a pretty good idea what's going to happen to their jobs. There may not be any after this year. I believe impact studies have been done and approved. If so, that's another nail in the coffin.

NDJ