PDA

View Full Version : Afleet Alex

Bobby
02-11-2005, 12:01 PM
I heard from a person whom I consider knowledgable that Afleet Alex still has sore feet, and that's why he hasn't had a single work since his defeat in the Breeders Cup. Does that sound right?

He supposed to run in the Rebel in 5 weeks and no works. Somethings wrong.

Suff
02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
I heard from a person whom I consider knowledgable that Afleet Alex still has sore feet, and that's why he hasn't had a single work since his defeat in the Breeders Cup. Does that sound right?

He supposed to run in the Rebel in 5 weeks and no works. Somethings wrong.

Johhny V and Angel Coderro Made the decison to get off Gallopong Grocer and get on Afleet ALex just recently. I'd be surprised and I'm sure they would be as well, if something was substanially wrong they had'nt been told about. Alot people said JR would regret taking Off Galloping Grocer to Ride AA. Cordero said it was all Business and they had to go with the 170 Horse Stable. I'm not sold on that reason. Because I do think JR could FLIP Pletcher with out Consequence if it was to pick his DERBY horse.. and also.. He FLIPPED pletcher in the first place to get on GG at saratoga. Pletcher had a Firster in GG's Debut race. Matter of fact, Pletchers Firster was the ML FAV. And JR went to GG. So it makes no sense what they are saying now. They feel Afleet Alex has the best chance of getting to , and winning the Derby.

Bobby
02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
ALEX GETTING CLOSE

While Rockport Harbor was commanding all the attention this morning, Tim Ritchey was hard at work preparing another potential 3-year-old superstar's training schedule.

Afleet Alex (pictured), runnerup to Declan's Moon for 2-year-old honors last year, has not had a published work since arriving at Oaklawn six weeks back, causing concern in some quarters, notably at Daily Racing Form.

"Alex has been galloping well," Ritchey said during the break, "and we plan to gallop him Sunday at a two-minute lick. He'll have his first work next Thursday or Friday, depending on the weather, and he'll go three-eighths or a half-mile. He'll have three or four works in all before the Rebel."

Ritchey plans to run Afleet Alex twice at Oaklawn -- in the Rebel and Arkansas Derby, which will be run on closing day April 16. John Velazquez, the 2004 champion jockey, will be in from Florida to ride Alex in those two races.

"There's no question," said Ritchey, "that the toughest road to the (Kentucky) Derby this year leads through Arkansas."

As of this writing, the Big Four for the Rebel are Rockport Harbor, Afleet Alex, Greater Good and Going Wild, a two-time California stakes-winner from Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas.

"Wayne's picking a tough spot," says Ritchey.

Incidentally, the AP continues to rank Afleet Alex No. 1 in its Kentucky Derby Top Ten poll.

"It's good that my horse is getting some recognition," Ritchey said, "but now he will have to live up to his high rating. Being No. 1 at this point has nothing to do with how we're bringing him up to the Derby. I won't do anything different because he's No. 1."

Bobby
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
here's some more OP propaganda. from oaklawn.com

ROCKY 'PERFECT'
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. -- A day after trainer John Servis made it official that Rockport Harbor will skip next Saturday's Southwest and wait for the March 19 Rebel, Rocky went to the Oaklawn Park track this morning after the break for a five-furlong work.

With regular exercise rider Bobby Velez on his back, Servis watching from the backstretch on his pony Jinks, and an audience of horsemen and horseplayers looking on, Rockport Harbor stepped five-eighths in 1:01 3/5 (pictured) over a fast strip, the third fastest of the 57 horses timed at that distance.

Rocky's splits were :13, :25, :37 and :49, and he galloped out three-quarters in 1:15.

"Rocky went picture perfect," Servis said back at the barn. "I was glad that Bobby was able to slow him down the first part. He levelled off fine and galloped out good. He's coming up to the Rebel just right. We'll probably keep him on a weekly work schedule."

This was Rocky's third five-furlong move over the Oaklawn strip, all with Velez up, and the veteran exercise rider raved about the work.

"This was Rocky's best work yet," Velez said. "He's getting real fit. John told me to take it easy the first part, but I didn't want to take too much hold.

"At the three-sixteenths pole, I switched hands to let him roll a little. He galloped out good and pulled up great. I loved the way he went."

"That horse is like a Cadillac," said Tim Hooper, who trains Michael Gill's string here. "He does everything so easily. He covers a lot of ground effortlessly. He seems more intense each time I see him. He's a very nice horse."

Informed by the author of Notes and Quotes that Rockport Harbor was listed at 50-1 in the Las Vegas futures, Servis' face lit up.

"Sorry, John," said N&Q. "That's for the Breeders' Cup (Classic)."