PDA

View Full Version : Cal Expo to get new operators

trying2win
02-11-2005, 01:56 AM
I just read this article online:

http://www.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=7727&z=1

Looks like it'll be similar to the operations here in Alberta at Northlands Park and Stampede Park...i.e a racetrack run by a not-for-profit organization.

I wonder if the new management that will take over at Cal Expo, can do something about the quality of harness horses there? I suppose the quality of horses that Cal Expo can attract in the future, depends a lot on slot machine revenue. I don't even know if they have slot machines at Cal Expo at present. Does anyone know?

I haven't played the harness races at Cal Expo for awhile. Fuller, better-quality fields in the future at Cal Expo, might make me return to being a regular bettor there again.

T2W

Zman179
02-14-2005, 12:48 PM
The tough thing about Cal Expo is it's location. In the world of harness racing, it is a very isolated place, almost like it's on a desolate island. The nearest harness track (Fraser Downs) is 900 miles away. I don't personally see the field sizes getting bigger there considering it's isolated location, that and short fields seem to be the norm there with both breeds. BTW, Cal Expo doesn't have slots.

Capitol Racing is essentially a victim of it's own success. Before Capitol took over, they would be lucky to get $100,000 in total handle per night. You couldn't bet the signal anywhere in Southern California, even at Los Alamitos when they shared a harness racing circuit. Capitol took it and turned the operation into a success. The horsemen were very happy with Capitol. Now, everybody wants a piece of the action at CalX and Capitol just couldn't hold off the competition.

Capitol is now looking to take over Les Bois Park in Idaho. Might not be the last time you hear from Capitol.