PDA

View Full Version : Questions Re Computer Power Surge Protectors

trying2win
02-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Awhile ago, some of my computer parts got fried after a power surge. At least that's what a computer repairman surmised what happened. My questions to all the computer experts out there are:

--What kind of power surge protector for my computer do you recommend?

--Don't these computer power surge protectors come with some kind of number attached to them?...i.e. the number on them designates the level of protection etc. If this number is one of the keys to computer protection, what is the minimum number I should look for on the product?

--Are certain brand names of computer power surge protectors better than others?

Thanks,

T2W

chickenhead
02-10-2005, 01:30 PM
I recommend:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE500U

JustRalph
02-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Surge protectors come with a "joules" rating. It is all crap and the warranty is hardly ever invoked.

I am with the chicken on this one. Great product.

Sam's club sometimes has great deals on these UPS items........

andicap
02-10-2005, 02:59 PM
what about the need for those battery backup terminals (about $60-$70) for laptop computers?

Are they necessary as well?

gillenr
02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
A UPS usually can protect your phone line also.
If you get power outages, the UPS lets you save your work.

JustRalph
02-10-2005, 05:54 PM
what about the need for those battery backup terminals (about $60-$70) for laptop computers?

Are they necessary as well?

The laptop has a somewhat built in backup.........it actually runs off of its own battery, even while plugged into the wall. This is the same concept the UPS uses. You really aren't drawing the current from the wall.......you are getting it from the battery which is being recharged by the wall outlet. Although......... I have seen close lightning strikes smoke a UPS and the attached computer equipment. In close lightning strikes...........nothing will save you.........

I went on a service call where lightning struck a tree 50 feet out in the backyard. I started checking the computer equipment and when nothing would power on except the lights in the office.........I found the garage door opener was toast........all the phones in the house..........the dish washer and the Hot tub were all smoked. The guy really got pissed when the big screen TV wouldn't come on.......:eek:

BIG RED
02-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I no this is off topic but it is a computer question. I just opened with Internet Explorer and went to my favorites to watch night racing. I can't even open faves, keeps stating send error report. All my sites are in there. I hope I didn't lose them. One good thing is I downloaded firefox last week and have the same faves there. I could easily transfer everything over if I have to, BUT I still can't open faves in IE. Been having problems with IE, thats why I dl ff! I need IE right now because I haven't figured out how to run video(racing) within ff yet.
And thanks Ralph, that other thing is working out fine.
Just a venting TOM

JustRalph
02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
And thanks Ralph, that other thing is working out fine.
Just a venting TOM

Your welcome

trying2win
02-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Chickenhead -- Thanks for the link.

JustRalph -- Thanks for you help as well. If I remember correctly, I think I saw different 'joules' ratings stamped on powerbar surge protectors, that I viewed at a department store a few months ago. In your opinion, does that mean these powerbar surge protectors sold at department stores are not reliable?

T2W

JustRalph
02-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Chickenhead -- Thanks for the link.

JustRalph -- Thanks for you help as well. If I remember correctly, I think I saw different 'joules' ratings stamped on powerbar surge protectors, that I viewed at a department store a few months ago. In your opinion, does that mean these powerbar surge protectors sold at department stores are not reliable?

T2W

not worth a damn.........they only stop the slightest jolt........and they do no line conditioning at all.........check out the page below for more info than you probably want to know.......just read about the benefits of UPS's and how they qualify as a seperate power source........that is what makes the difference

http://www.carebase.com/WP-Benefits-Of-Isolation-Transformers-In-UPS-And-Line-Conditioners.htm

trying2win
02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
JustRalph,

In your last post on this thread, you listed a link to some more info on power surge protectors. Unfortunately, when I click on it, an error message comes up on my computer screen..."PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED" blah, blah, blah.....Got any other good links?

Thanks,

T2W

JustRalph
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
This article actually goes after small ups systems and criticizes them. But, they are the best most of us can do........unless we want to re-wire our houses etc. But it does give the appropriate points that I wanted to make.

The Benefits Provided By UPS And Line Conditioners With An Isolation Transformer

Dedication And Isolation
By Nam Paik, TSi Power

http://www.carebase.com/images/slate-wp-benefits-isolation-transformer-tsi.jpg

With the recent proliferation of low-cost standby UPS products which claim to "solve all the AC power problems", a false sense of security seems to exist among users who purchased and installed these basic non-isolated UPS for their PCs, fileservers, network/telecommunication equipment, point-of-sale terminals, etc. Such a false sense of security and confidence is often rudely challenged by equipment glitches, crashes, and malfunctions that persist even after installation of these non-isolated UPS products. The answer to this unexplainable failure of UPS to provide 100% protection against AC power problems can be found in an "Isolation Transformer" based UPS or Line Conditioner.

Experienced electrical engineers have known this limitation of non-isolated UPS, line conditioners, surge protection devices and EMI/RFI noise filters for a long time - and their answer has been a "dedicated circuit" which is a separate AC wire run all the way to the main electrical panel located next to the building’s power transformer. Since the high neutral line voltage and high levels of spikes and transients are caused by devices such as air conditioners, heaters, elevators, copiers, laser printers, etc., bypassing all the sub-panels that feed these "dirty" devices by installing and using a "dedicated circuit" usually solved the problems.

However, installation of a dedicated circuit can be very expensive and time-consuming, especially when it is a large or high-rise building. Installation of a dedicated circuit also requires an approval and permit from a licensed professional engineer (PE.), the building wiring diagram and the final drawing and work must be inspected and approved by a local county or city electrical inspector. The cost of a single dedicated circuit can be several thousand dollars and may require several weeks (or months) from start to finish.

The high cost and long installation time of installing a dedicated circuit can be eliminated by using an ISOLATION LINE CONDITIONER or ISOLATION UPS system, however. Because of the integral isolation transformer, each isolation line conditioner or UPS qualifies as a "Separately Derived Power Source" under National Electrical Code 250-5D. Isolation Conditioner and UPS also complies with the U.S. federal government’s FIPS Publication 94 requirement of neutral and ground bonding for elimination of any problems caused by the presence of neutral voltage or common-mode noise/transients.

Additional Benefits Provided by an Isolation Line Conditioner (or UPS):

Regeneration of power using the isolation transformer at the point of use means that it is a truly ideal power source (It is like moving the building transformer to within a few feet of sensitive equipment). The power from an isolation transformer is both DEDICATED and ISOLATED.
Multi-stage surge protectors and EMI/RFI noise filters are also built-in.
ISOLATION CONDITIONER sizes ranging from 90 VA to 5.5 kVA allows optimized performance vs. cost product selection. UPS size ranges from 400VA to 2,100 VA.
Installation is immediate and no permit or approval is required. (Conditioners are also available in sizes up to 36 kVA, and it is recommended they be installed by a licensed electrician).
Cost of the unit is only a small fraction of a dedicated circuit installation cost.

trying2win
02-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Ralph,

I just got around to reading your latest post in this thread. Thanks for the enlightenment on this power surge protector topic.

T2W

Equineer
02-13-2005, 01:20 AM
I recommend:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE500URight now (2/12/2005), Dell has the APC 500 marked down to $53.06 (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0109555&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external) and the APC 725 Broadband marked down to $80.96 (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0109557&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external), plus a free shipping offer good through March 3rd on the APC 725 model makes it an outstanding buy.