PDA

View Full Version : BejranoSuspended

Suff
02-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Maybe I missed it... But Other than the NY POST.. I didn't see Bejrano's 10 day suspension get much Press. (reduced to 7 when he wiaved his right to appeal)

10 Days, Careless Riding. He got it Saturday.. But I saw him riding Sunday? He's probably out all this week.

BillW
02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
I think I read that he is taking it starting Wed.

cj
02-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm sure you saw the thread, I think it was a total BS dq, but maybe I can see the days. The horse did come in, just don't think it affected the placings.

Edit:

Upon further review, to tell a man he can't earn a living (and his agent too) for 10 days is crap for that ride in my opinion.

Valuist
02-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I wonder if it was Migliore or Velazquez or a veteran who's been riding in NY for years if the suspension would've been the same. I doubt it.

the little guy
02-07-2005, 05:19 PM
I called it here at the time, every time the stewards make a bad call they also suspend the jockey, because in their perverse thinking this justifies them.

AQUEBUCKS
02-07-2005, 06:08 PM
NY Stewards are by far the most incoherent/surreptitious in the business. If I had a nickle for every rider (Bridgmohan, Espinosa, Coa) just to name a few, who fail to ride out their horses to the line (on short odds horses after they're beat). I can recall several instances, often egregious from the naked eye, and they let it go on, time-after-time.

They ought to adopt the policies of the Singapore thoroughbred system where they suspend a Jockey for 12 Months for allegedly not riding a horse out to the wire. A majority vote by the stewards while examining a trend of similar instances, with a no appeal option. It happened to Donnie Meche in La., and I'm sure he learned his lesson. This would be an eye opener for some, but rest assured, the crooks in NY would never adopt such apolicy. I understand that they risk their lives everyday to fund their 2 million dollar Garden City, homes, but where do you draw the line?

PaceAdvantage
02-07-2005, 06:20 PM
"Ride Out" can be a very subjective term at times. Some people think a jock has to be whipping and slashing every 1/2 second to qualify for riding out....others realize being ridden out can have many more subtle qualities.

I'm sure the stewards understand this....

Hey aquebucks, how'd ya get so cynical?

BetHorses!
02-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I thought it was a BS DQ also. Agree with CJ, did not affect the outcome. And they put up Arroyo. How do you like that?? Go figure

toetoe
02-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Aque,
Singapore is too Draconian to model ourselves after. I know it's not a legal issue, but we're tough enough over here, just not CONSISTENT. Look at Pat V., for one example.

midnight
02-08-2005, 05:22 AM
The DQ was bogus, as I said in the thread devoted to it, but not because Bejarano was without fault. It was bogus because the interference didn't affect the outcome of the race. The horse interfered with was beat at that point, still got second, and wouldn't have won anyway.

I agree with some action being taken against Bejarano, as he didn't make due effort to keep his horse straight. I believe that seven days is too harsh. Three days would be more in line, or perhaps a fine of some sort. On the other hand, a seven day suspension might get the point home better.

Valuist
02-08-2005, 09:33 AM
If any of us made a mistake at work would we not be allowed to work for xx number of days? Its ridiculous. Fine them.

AQUEBUCKS
02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Must be that New Yorker in me. Sometimes I hear things I shouldn't hear. Ya hear me?

AQUEBUCKS

GeTydOn
02-08-2005, 12:36 PM
If any of us made a mistake at work would we not be allowed to work for xx number of days? Its ridiculous. Fine them.

How many of us do work that's as potentially dangerous as what these jocks do? If any of us made a mistake at work, would we be fined?

Suff
02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Many times, Unbeknownst to us, Jockeys have been informally, or formally warned. Its a daily Occurence that Stewards call Jockeys into the film room in the Morning. They go over the types of things that are being discussed here. You and I maybe be unaware that Bejarno had been called on the carpet 2 or 3 times previous to this, without consequence. Then Finally, on a marginal call like this, the stewards drop the Hammer.

You'd like to think that each and every DQ and/or Suspension is elvaluated on its own components. But People are Human and these things play out as such. When we see a DQ on a marginal call, it may have other Moving Parts that are being played out in the course of day to day operations of Running a Race Track.

CryingForTheHorses
02-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey guys!. Its just as hard on the poor owner who has maybe waited weeks to run his horse, NOT to mention the countless dollars getting him there so y'all can cash a ticket.The stewards are a different bunch,They think different then you and I.They are GOD
!!This guy may have had a few warnings like Suff said and the stewards decided to make a case out of this certain race.Also someone said it was unfair to not let a agent make money for 10s day, All the agent has to do is have another rider.A GOOD agent watchs his jock ride every race and can also tell his rider what he think he is doing wrong. Everyone suffers when a horse gets disqualified from a race

the little guy
02-08-2005, 07:29 PM
McSchell, you can't actually believe a " good " agent critiques his rider and tells him when he's doing something wrong ( as if they would even know). An agents job is to get mounts, mend fences and babysit the little pinheads. The best agents are the ones who do this the best and keep their mouths shut when speaking to their riders. One of my closest friends is one of the top agents in the business and, believe me, I am pretty much repeating what he would say. Agents do NOT tell jockey's how to do their job, and a smart rider won't tell his agent ( assuming he has a competent one ) how to do his.

I understand with a young and inexperienced rider, an agent could perhaps help in the manner you described, but more likely a trainer would do this. And, in this instance we're talking about Bejarano, who believe me isn't interested in his agent's opinion about his riding tactics. And, considering in the situation being discussed, Bejarano didn't do anything wrong, what could his agent possibly say?

Kreed
02-08-2005, 08:32 PM
WHO gives manure? i say stomp jockeys now, before they start wearing
Florida OJ emblems on their caps. Face it, most of them stink. When no
real art or skill is called for, they are fine, but at tight holes or saving ground
or (you name it) MOST of them are just suitable functionarys. No more.
and prima donnas when it rains too hard. RE: DQs, i hate them. Yet face it,
sometimes a horses' # MUST come down. It should be like pulling a tooth,
a last resort.

BetHorses!
02-08-2005, 09:06 PM
WHO gives manure? i say stomp jockeys now, before they start wearing
Florida OJ emblems on their caps. Face it, most of them stink. When no
real art or skill is called for, they are fine, but at tight holes or saving ground
or (you name it) MOST of them are just suitable functionarys. No more.
and prima donnas when it rains too hard. RE: DQs, i hate them. Yet face it,
sometimes a horses' # MUST come down. It should be like pulling a tooth,
a last resort.

I think you should show the jockeys a little respect. Stink or not they risk their lives every time they get up on a horse including morning workouts.