PDA

View Full Version : Diligent Gambler

Buddha
02-05-2005, 03:24 PM
The horse starts 2005 where he left 2004, winning races. Congrats Storm Cadet. Nice race, and a hell of a claim. 4th win in 6 months for you guys.

Observer
02-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Generous price, too. Congrats!

Zaf
02-05-2005, 04:25 PM
WOW, What a warrior. Congrats Storm Cadet !

ZAFONIC

Storm Cadet
02-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I missed the race but just watched it on TIVO..better lucky than good some days!

Observer
02-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Not to take anything away from Diligent Gambler .. but Seeking the Glory sure ran a pretty good race .. even if it was without his rider .. loved the way Seeking the Glory dug in when Diligent Gambler got real serious in the lane.

It amazes me how well some of these horses can run for themselves, the way they can place themselves, the way they battle when challenged .. amazing!

I recall Starrer in the Coaching Club American Oaks .. dumped McCarron out of the gate, and ran an incredible race anyway, catching up to the field by the first turn, where she moved up along the inside .. then just proceeded to romp.

Kreed
02-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I almost forgot ... CONGRATS SC ... hehe ... i got into the WR about Race 5 ...
as i worked up to Diligent G. i asked the guys, hey, isnt DG a horse w/ WR
connections ... hehe ... what a great Samyn ride & what Fun it musta been 2
you ... now what? how would you describe your mood after you won? DereK

Kreed
02-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I AGREE its AmazING ... how they run through the wind --- with like ~115 lbs
LESS. AH, the TB is a natural athelete, but weight on is a different game than
NO WEIGHT ON. lol ... come to think of it, I really am not convinced that
WEIGHT is a real factor, in the usual race. What do YOU THINK ;;; is WEIGHT
a Factor of consequence? CRAIG, CJ -- KEILAN -- IRISH--HAMMER-- GAME T--
FORMULA-- BIG RED, BR -- now, STU & MEL, u 2 Sulky LOvers, are used to
bigger weights, LOL. (MEL ... your harness knowledge is cool, and after my
medowlands soiree, I NEED YOU, lol , a great dinner + a Donation. anyways,
see u WR regs tomorrow, Sunday. derek

keilan
02-05-2005, 08:21 PM
PA --- Just wanna let you know that Kreed was talking to his li’l make believe friend again (toetoe), this time in the WR. He carried on like he didn’t have a care in the world, was really something to experience :cool:

kingfin66
02-05-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm missing something here. Why are you all congratulating Storm Cadet for Diligent Gambler's winning ways. Is Storm Cadet the owner or trainer, or otherwise connected to the horse?

keilan
02-05-2005, 08:40 PM
It's customary to congratulate the winning connections owner, trainer, and jockey when in their presence. It doesn’t cost anything and makes everyone feel good. :)

toetoe
02-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey Just Kreed,
First you leave me off your murderers row roll call, then goodie two-shoes finks on us to Teacher. I'm gonna hold my breath forEVER. Too bad I can still type with breath held -- hehe. By the way, what did we do? I'll plead guilty, but what was it again?

Observer
02-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Obviously carrying 110+ pounds less than the competition is an advantage. Trainers cry over 1 or 2 pounds!

HOWEVER:

My comments were regarding HOW some horses run their races without a rider, as in position, working out a trip, etc.

In the case of Seeking the Glory, you could see him dig down and reach in the lane when hooked with Diligent Gambler. It was great seeing a horse that knew exactly what he was doing out there .. without any bit of encouragement .. without anyone flailing away on him with a whip. Of course, tripping at the start was a big OOPS.

Migliore is a rider who knows what he's doing .. and he's riding in pretty good form right now .. but sometimes a rider can do more harm than the 110+ the horse has to carry.

BillW
02-05-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm missing something here. Why are you all congratulating Storm Cadet for Diligent Gambler's winning ways. Is Storm Cadet the owner or trainer, or otherwise connected to the horse?

Owner

BTW - congrats Ron, the DG train keeps rolling :cool:

Buddha
02-05-2005, 11:39 PM
the DG train keeps rolling :cool:

And picking up more fans from the PA board.

Pace Cap'n
02-05-2005, 11:47 PM
HOWEVER:

My comments were regarding HOW some horses run their races without a rider, as in position, working out a trip, etc.

In the case of Seeking the Glory, you could see him dig down and reach in the lane when hooked with Diligent Gambler. It was great seeing a horse that knew exactly what he was doing out there .. without any bit of encouragement .. without anyone flailing away on him with a whip. Of course, tripping at the start was a big OOPS.

I have often wondered how many of the horses in a race have a sense of what is expected of them.

Say in a 10-horse race, how many understand they should strive to get to the finish line first?

It seems the riderless horse always "wins". I once commented to a friend "Why do they need a jockey?" and he replied "Because the horse doesn't know how long the race is.". Kinda makes sense, I guess.

kingfin66
02-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Owner

BTW - congrats Ron, the DG train keeps rolling :cool:

That's awesome! Somehow, I missed that as it seems to be very common knowledge to all but me. Congrats.

BillW
02-06-2005, 12:36 AM
That's awesome! Somehow, I missed that as it seems to be very common knowledge to all but me. Congrats.

DG was a beast last year on the NYRA circuit. A real winning machine. Apparently he hasn't slowed at all :)

There are a few threads on the site discussing his races.

Storm Cadet
02-06-2005, 10:15 AM
OK guys...here's how yesterday went...

Friday morning I visited DG in the barn and all is good...brought him some baby carrots as good luck! Trainers said he's ready but outside post was bad with the tight turns. :rolleyes:

Got up yesterday at 7AM because we've got a 12 noon game vs. ranked U Conn on TV. So I log onto the comp in the hotel room to see if anybody likes DG's chances. The guys on the NYRA board all think he's too far outside to get it done with 2 turns. So I answer them with the usual maybe he needs this race as a tightener since he has not raced since 50 days ago.

I run the equisim on the race and it has him no better than 6th..so I figure today's not going to be pretty! :mad:

Then I log onto CJ's site where his speed fig is good enough to win...now I'm thinking should I play him to win???? :confused:

So I head to Gample Fieldhouse at U Conn and I come to find out there's no cell service in the downstarirs area of the arena. No cell, no wireless comp signal...nothing. I'm in blackout not getting any info and it's not like I can excuse myself to leave the court and make a call... :eek:

So as we end up getting whipped by the Huskies I finish up what I have to do in the locker room and try to get upstairs to the team bus to get some race info...finally get through to my 12 YO who is home TIVO-ing the race for me. He's pretty race savy already as he tells me with 2 minutes to post that there are numerous scractches and DG is still 8-1. Amazing. :eek:

Now I have to decide do I try to call NYRA and get a bet in and miss the race call or just such it up and listen...so my son hold's the phone next to the speakers as the race goes off and I listen to the race on the team bus home.

Damn, didn't get a bet in but still got purse $$$, my luck...usually when I bet my horses they lose, don't bet they win...so that's it...you guys bet... :) and again, if any of you guys want to meet this horse let me know, we'll hook up at the barns one morning...bring the kids and carrots and camera...the trainer said this morning that he came out of the race great...can not even tell which of his knee was the bad one! :) And let's hope he is still healthy come Saratoga time!

Suff
02-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Not to take anything away from Diligent Gambler .. but Seeking the Glory sure ran a pretty good race ..

It'll never happen, But these races should be deemed non-races and all money refunded...IMHO.

Seeeking the Glory was riderless, and got himself mixed in with the field, and was a strong presence in the stretch. No Jockey was willing to make a move to win the race. Especially in the stretch when Seeking the Glory can do anything, Move right or left sharply, Bite, Kick.. anything.

Its an unforunate part of racing, but the reality. Jockeys fall, Horses get loose and races get blown.

Has anyone ever been on the backside when a horse gets loose?.. Its llike a Fire Alarm... People screaming, LOOSE HORSE! It is considered very dangerous to people and the horse when one gets loose. ESPECIALLY when he has any kind of TACK on. Bridles, Reins, Shanks etc... can get caught on anything, Even the animal can get step on his SHANK or Reins if they get loose in front or below them.. and thats a Nightmare.

Very few Jockeys will risk thier own lives, or thier mounts by pushing themselves into the Picture. Big races, Probably different. A winter race on a Ho-hum Card at Aqueduct? I don't think so.

Storm Cadet
02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
And there's one for you Suff of the loose horse running with DG: enjoy!

http://www.quarterpole.com/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=album10

Zaf
02-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Really nice photos !

ZAFONIC

Suff
02-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Debroha Kral was at the BIG A yesterday huh? I woulda figured her for Gulfstream and the Donn. She takes good photo's. Same Photog that took The great photo's of Rockport Harbors foot injury and Galloping Grocer...

You know my point is valid.. Don't you? I mean.. You still woulda got Purse Money. Nothing against your Horse who may have still won... But If you watchg the race.. No One is Moving, And the fractions are slow. And You could just see that all the Jocks were jus trying to stay out of trouble. Just my OP

Storm Cadet
02-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Sure Mike...I agree and the way that 2 horse ran, he problably wires the field and wins too! We come in 2nd or 3rd at best....you get my PM about sox tickets?

cj
02-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I was more impressed with DG than the loose horse. Carrying around 115 pounds more, he dug in and passed that horse late, without much urging. This horse doesn't like to be behind!

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2005, 02:15 PM
I remember Debbie Kral from the ol' Prodigy horse racing bulletin board days. Very nice lady, and she takes a hell of a picture. Back then, I don't think she was doing it as a profession.

Suff
02-06-2005, 02:23 PM
...you get my PM about sox tickets?

yea.. I'm on it.

If Your by Yourself or with another guy... I can Just about always get you in the park. No seat.. but I do have friends at the gates that'll waive us in.. No good if you got your kids in tow...I know.. But If your with a buddy. No prob.. Your in.