PDA

View Full Version : Suff: Violette Q&A

saratoga guy
02-03-2005, 04:07 PM
DRF's Violette Q&A linked at www.equidaily.com today (Thursday 2/3). Currently top of the page -- scroll down middle column if checking on Friday or beyond...

PaceAdvantage
02-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I can't find it anywhere on the page....

cj
02-04-2005, 03:47 AM
I like the idea of the page, but I couldn't find it either. Site needs a better layout in my opinion.

saratoga guy
02-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Not sure what the problem was -- but give it another try, it's there.

Link reads: "DRF Q&A with trainer Rick Violette..."

Still at the top of the page (Friday morning).

cj
02-04-2005, 05:21 AM
I see it now, I even searched for "Violette" yesterday on the entire page, and it wasn't there...who knows, LOL?

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2005, 10:25 AM
It's on the NY Breds website, in PDF format....

Here is the direct link:

http://www.nybreds.com/articles_drf/violette.pdf

Suff
02-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for Finding that Link SG. CJ , did you read it? Whats your initial thoughts on his views. I only have 10 minutes, but I'm going to get back to this thread tonight when I get home.

2 quick points. Show me one spot in that Interview where he mentions teh Bettor? The people that Pay the bills for all those wonderful ideas he has

and, Do I hear him right when he talks about the VLT's? He basically says.. hey, we put slots in, and we don't have to do anything to make more money. He staright out says, We can offer the same product we offer now and get paid more. Damn.. Howzabout a Lower Takout?

Read the Piece from a Bettors view and You come away thinking.. This guy has no clue and is dangerous to my interests.

i'll get back to this later

cj
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Hey Suff,

I read it, I wasn't impressed to be honest. As usual, no mention of the bettors, just how to put more money in the horsemen's pockets. "We need the first quarter in the slots" or something close? Same old, same old...

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2005, 01:13 PM
He's a trainer. Why would he be concerned with interests other than his own and his owners? Those are the folks he is in charge of taking care of.....

Don't blame him for looking out for his top priorities.....if you were him, why would you put the bettor at the top of your concern list? No, you'd be looking out for trainers and owners....

Figman
02-04-2005, 02:17 PM
It's all Suff's fault!

Suff didn't educate Rick Violette when Violette was a regular trainer on the Rkm-Suf circuit before becoming a full-time NYRA trainer.

cj
02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
He's a trainer. Why would he be concerned with interests other than his own and his owners?

Are you serious? Umm, maybe because without bettors, there would be no purses to race for, that's why! I certainly understand that without owners, there would be no races to bet on, but its just typical of anyone who doesn't bet to ignore those who do.

GeTydOn
02-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Are bettors concerned about trainers and/or owners? Or anything else but bettors and what bettors are entitled to?

Human nature is to look out for yourself and what's important to you first. Most people do not look at the grand scheme of things.

betchatoo
02-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Are bettors concerned about trainers and/or owners? Or anything else but bettors and what bettors are entitled to?

Human nature is to look out for yourself and what's important to you first. Most people do not look at the grand scheme of things.

I don;t agree with you. If you read threads here you will find a lot of people are concerned about all aspects of the game, not just the betting part

Even if that weren't the case, horse racing is a business and the bettor is the customer. And if you don't serve the customers, you're out of business.

Valuist
02-04-2005, 05:25 PM
I think some humans have been dipping into the Lasix or other drugs when they write that Qualified Opinion is a Derby contender. :rolleyes:

GeTydOn
02-04-2005, 05:41 PM
horse racing is a business and the bettor is the customer.

Yes the bettor is the customer. It is the tracks who are the provider though so the tracks themselves need to set the example. Should this trainer have been more considerate of the bettor? Maybe. But the trainer can not make life better for the bettor so to criticize them individually or as a group is unfair. And maybe this guy was talking from a trainer's perspective that doesn't mean there is no regard for the bettor. And maybe there were portions left out for whatever reason that would have made more bettors happy.

PaceAdvantage
02-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Are you serious? Umm, maybe because without bettors, there would be no purses to race for, that's why! I certainly understand that without owners, there would be no races to bet on, but its just typical of anyone who doesn't bet to ignore those who do.

I'm damn serious. You criticized Violette for not mentioning the bettor, and I'm explaining why, and why it's understandable.

He's a trainer who represents horsemen in some offical capacity. Who do you expect he is going to talk about in an interview?

Now, if this were an interview with someone from track management, that's another story....

Valuist
02-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I guarantee you he wasn't taken out of context. Trainers would love to run races in private, with no betting, and with mechanical jockeys. The only group they dislike more than bettors and owners is jockeys. But they sure are good at coming up with excuses. They should be happy several speed figure services have popularized the "bounce" theory; it gives them one more home-made excuse.

Storm Cadet
02-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Point 1> Rick answered the questions asked of him. He was never asked about the interests of gamblers/players!

Point 2>Maybe he was asked, but not all of any interview is ever published!

Point 3> I know Rick personally as he has been my trainer for 2 colts and he is one of the classiest and professional guys on the backstretch. EVERYBODY back there respects him...he's not a slease ball ...he's not a crooked guy! He doesn't cheat!

And as a horse owner...I don't think that any trainer should care anything about betters...they are paid by owners like me to train, care for and race our horses, our investments...let NYRA run the betting operation...thats they're business.

I'm a trainer in a different business, (and I know that my business doesn't depend on gamblers $$$) but one that is also bet by many, many people. Many $$$$ are bet every three days on my team. Do I or my coaches care a rats ass about those gamblers and people that bet on my team. No way...we each have our jobs to do for our owners and bosses!

cj
02-05-2005, 03:54 AM
I didn't criticize Violette! Not sure where that came from, as I was saying the article, as a whole, didn't do anything for me. You think I don't know by now that horsemen want slots?

I was asked what I thought of the article, not of the trainer. FIrst, I couldn't care less about the the first two questions about show jumping. Then, he is asked about how a big horse helped his career and does he want to get back to the Derby...WOW, there is a tough question.

Next, he talks a little about NYRA, then says we need slots, then with the money, new barns would be nice. Who'd ever guess a trainer would want these things?

Finally, we move on to the super trainers, and drug testing in NY. He does offer some decent comments there, such as perception is reality and that cheaters need to get more than their hands slapped. Still a softball interview, as I would have asked next what type of punishments he would favor, but it goes by the board. The interview finishes up with a question about the jockey weight thing, which was a joke from the start.

So, all in all, like I said, "the article" didn't do much for me. How this is criticizing Violette?"

cj
02-05-2005, 04:04 AM
Strorm:

1) Exactly, which is why it didn't do much for me.
2) Possible, but I only care about what did get published.
3) I never said one bad word about Violette, and certainly didn't even imply he was sleazy or a cheater.

As for a trainer not worrying about bettors, I'd agree, except for this:

Violette is president of the National Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association

This is a group of trainers and owners. Do you think owners should care about the bettors?

Your analogy is way off base. In college sports, betting is illegal and you would get paid the exact same salary whether $0 or $1,000,000,000 are bet on the games. Not so in racing. With no betting, how many races do you think Diligent Gambler wins this year? More important, how much money?

Storm Cadet
02-05-2005, 08:06 AM
College sports betting is ILLEGAL?????

The only people that CAN NOT BET on college sports are the people that work in the NCAA setting and the athletes!!!!!!

Your kidding about betting on NCAA sports is illegal right? Go to VEGAS and look at the sport book and ALL the NCAA games are listed and eligible to be bet! The lines are posted each day in most papers and you can bet them through most on-line gambling accounts also!

I can't but you can! :rolleyes:

cj
02-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Its illegal in 99.9% of the US. Even if it were legal everywhere, it wouldn't change the fact that people betting on the game has nothing to do with whether you get paid or not. Basketball will have a fan base with or without betting, and you will have a job.

How many people going to tune into TVG if there is no betting, or head out to Philly Park in January?

Storm Cadet
02-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Why didn't you think of putting me in as a new client for Bet America....you could have had a quick $50 into your account?

We on this board should do it for each other!!!

Anyway...my horse Dilligent Gambler have ANY chance today moving up at AQU 7th? I have him coming in no better than :( 6th

cj
02-05-2005, 10:11 AM
I use BRIS for the video, but don't bet much with them. It didn't even cross my mind, though it should have.

As for DG, he's a tough horse and always puts in a nice effort. Not many come from the 11 hole to win 1 1/16 races on the inner, I'd tell the jock to take it easy on him today, probably needs a race anyway.

joeprunes
02-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Storm Cadet, have your horse stay with work with me #12, you could cash..jp

Suff
02-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm damn serious. You criticized Violette for not mentioning the bettor, and I'm explaining why, and why it's understandable.

He's a trainer who represents horsemen in some offical capacity. Who do you expect he is going to talk about in an interview?

Now, if this were an interview with someone from track management, that's another story....

I think everyone knows he's a trainer and his thoughts would be Centered on his interests. And what else he may have said that was edited out. No one knows.

But It really is self centered to the extreme.

If I worked for Gillette in some middle Management capacity and I did a Public interview.. and what was printed was.

I want a raise with no increase in reponsibilites
I want a New Company Car
I want my Office renovated

And as far as the new technology that raises Gilletes revenues.. Well I want some of that money while not increasing my efforts or production.

Thats essentially what he is saying. He wants more for less, or the same.

Of Course he's a Horsemens Rep.. and it commnets should reflect that. But the fact he seems obvlious to where the money comes from is a real stick out...

I need to reread it,... because when I read it the other day A few other things he said interested me.

Not all of what he says is Bad. he says some great things. I'm not knocking his legs out just because his interests are polar to mine. But I think he needs to be a bit more concilatory to the revenue source... e.g ME

cj
02-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Why didn't you think of putting me in as a new client for Bet America....you could have had a quick $50 into your account?

We on this board should do it for each other!!!

Anyway...my horse Dilligent Gambler have ANY chance today moving up at AQU 7th? I have him coming in no better than :( 6th

I couldn't believe it when I looked at my figures and saw DG was best along with the 5. Of course it didn't hurt the 1-1 fave dumped the rider, but damn, 9-1 was very nice. Congrats again on your win machine! I didn't bet him to win, but the exacta box will pay very nice I'm sure.

joeprunes
02-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Hey Storm Cadet I told you if your horse runs with the #12 he would cash but my horse ran with your horse 1 , 2 start to finish. Congrads...jp

WINMANWIN
02-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Samyn sent him to the lead and it was LIGHTS OUT :cool: I had no idea he would go for the lead today, but I liked the result. Had him in the PICK 4'S
:D Forget that, and had the EXACTA as the Dutrow steed got 2nd, they ran together last outing and TODAY WAS NO DIFFERENT :cool: If I woulda read
your Posts earlier STORM, you woulda threw me off :o Congrats on a Nice Victory today !