PDA

View Full Version : What Sports events have had an impact on the USA or the world??

sq764
01-31-2005, 09:02 PM
I was watching one of those countdowns on Comcast - something along the lines of the biggest upsets.. #1 was the US beating Russian in the Olympics..

Got me to thinking.. What sports moments/games have had national or worldy impact? (Affecting non sports fans as well)?

I was thinking of some:

Obviously the USA beating Russia
Namath delivering on his prediction
Muhammed Ali/Joe Frazier
Secretariat's Triple Crown
Jesse Owens in the Olympics

I know I am missing some glaring ones.. And ones before my time..

kingfin66
02-01-2005, 01:56 AM
I think you got the first one dead on right. The Miracle on Ice is huge.

the '69 Jets...I don't don't know if it that big of an affect, although it was a great moment in sports.

The women's World Cup soccer victory was pretty cool too.

Baseball:

Miracle Mets
Mark and Sammy - sterioids, or no sterioids, it made for a great summer of baseball.

Football:

Miami Dolphins undefeated season

Olympics:

Jesse Owens as you said
Mark Spitz
'72 Olympic basketball team gets screwed over

Basketball:

Michael Jordan
Villanova beats G'town
Magic announces HIV

dav4463
02-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Texas Western beating Kentucky in college hoops. All black team beat an all white team.

Namath's guarantee... changed pro football forever, put AFL on a par with the NFL so I believe it is one of the truly great moments and had a huge impact.

58 Colts/Giants title game on television...went into Overtime, made pro football the sport to watch on TV instead of baseball.

women's world cup soccer !!?? c'mon now !!! had about as much impact as the 4th race at Delta Downs !!!.....