PDA

View Full Version : Why do we all love to hear a tip?

BetHorses!
01-30-2005, 11:54 PM
We hear them everyday. Trainer likes his horse or a friend knows an owner who is betting or maybe a jockey agent says his guy is "live". Some might know clockers others might know tellers or bookmakers that took big action on a horse in the 5th.

I hear many things but i've learned how to sort that info but it took me many years and sometimes I'm still a sucker. Below are some of my general rules that I try to follow but for some odd reason its still difficult.

First, why is it a tip? It must be a firster or off a layoff, if not what can they possibly tell me that my own numbers cannot.

2) Who is the source? Is it credible? Have I had success with him/her in the past. What's the story? Are they telling me they found a problem with the horse that is now "fixed". Does it make sense?

3) After passing rules 1 and 2, if we get to rule 3...as with everything else Price! I tend to disregard the shorter priced horses and will only bet the tip if its long (10-1 or higher works for me) but it also depends on the story. ;)

The Tips can kill you, some of us recognize it, most do not. We all hear them but make sure you know which ones to listen too.

jotb
01-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Hello BetHorses:

The word "tip" around the racetrack is generally used by the racing public which is filtered down by someone on the backside. I've been around the backside from time to time and I can tell you that most of the time, most of the information from the backside is correct to an extent and that's because these so call touts forget that the horse is facing others in a race. For example, someone at the track like an exercise rider has been gallopping a horse for some time now and he in turn tells the trainer the horse is really sharp right now. Now the trainer tells his owner and the exercise rider tells his best friend. The owner tells his family members and the best friend tells his friends and by the time race day comes the horse is a "lock" at the racetrack for the race. Now the horse runs the race and finishes 4th and loses the whole race by 3 lengths. The horse was "live" but so were the other 3 horses that finished in front of him. So, what we have here is just exagerated truth.

All horseplayer's are looking for that "edge". We get that "edge" through our knowledge of handicapping or from outside sources on the backside. If I had to incorporate a backside source into my selection process, I would use the following:

1- Only invest on a FTS if the youngster is working in company with older horses and dusting them.

2- Invest if the trainer is changing a piece of equipment for the first time and the horse is responding to it in the mornings but make sure the horse has decent running lines.

3- Invest on a horse that has been working bullets in the morning only if the horse worked before the first break or the last work after the second break.

4- Invest when a trainer "claims" a horse that noticed the horse had back end problems and then got into his stiffles and hocks. This will make a big difference on performance.

5- Invest when a horse shows run in it's last race but bled through lasix as long as it's a 3 or higher on a scale of 5.

I hope this information was helpful.

Joe

kenwoodallpromos
01-31-2005, 02:48 PM
I assume all tips from the backside, if correct, decreased the payout for those who originate it.

fmhealth
01-31-2005, 09:44 PM
I LOVE to get tips. As soon as I do I immediately cross out that horse. I try to remember "TIPS SPELLED BACKWARDS ARE WHAT THEY'RE WORTH".

BetHorses!
01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
I LOVE to get tips. As soon as I do I immediately cross out that horse. I try to remember "TIPS SPELLED BACKWARDS ARE WHAT THEY'RE WORTH".

fmhealth

Very good - TIPS worth SPIT

I must admit never heard that before

thoroughbred
02-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Let's assume that you even get a tip from a reliable source.
For example, you have a good friend who knows a trainer who gives him truthful information. Now the trainer tells your friend that the horse called, "Hopeless" is now ready, and in "top form" and your reliable friend passes this information on to you.

What you still don't know, even with this tip:
What are the other trainers saying about THEIR horses!

And you still have to do the analysis of the horse to know what "top form"
means for "Hopeless."

In other words, the tip doesn't usually tell you very much that is usefull; and is really essentially worthless

hurrikane
02-01-2005, 11:07 AM
that is pretty good....spit.

There are a couple of smibs at rosecorft that are always on the phone with this owner/trainer in DEL getting the 'Inside tips' on the horses.

They always bet the hell out of them, as do all the fools in earshot of their conversation. The horses almost always lose - as is noted by the trns 8% win record - and then they are on the phone..it's always great
'horse doesn't like to be crowded'
'horse doesn't like to run fast'
'horse doesn't the surface'
'jockey didn't follow the plan'.

and on and on and on.....

I think the people that like the tips simply dont' have enough confidence in their own work to make it happen. Then they think it is crooked and the only way to win is inside info.

Actually, you hear a lot of that bs up here too. surprising really.

keenang
02-01-2005, 11:09 AM
REMEMBER THE GUY IN "LET IT RIDE" HE MADE ALL HIS MONEY ELIMINATING ALL THE TIPS HE GOT. GREAT MOVIE.

GENE ;)

kingfin66
02-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I always figure that if some really great "inside" info makes its way to me then it must not be too good.

Case in point. I have a friend who has a friend who coaches high school football in the area where we live. This high school coach is very good friends with a position coach at a major university (he coaches the college coaches son). The head coach at the major university was very, very embattled, to the extent that players were complaining directly to the university president. The position coach at the college told the high school coach, my friend's friend, that their team would be blown out in this particular game as the season was a disaster and half the kids didn't even want to play. They were the underdog anyway, but not by that much. We naturally played against them. A funny thing happened on the way to the blowout, however, as the underdog with the embattled coach kicked ass on the favorite. So much for information!