PDA

View Full Version : oaklawn

lamboruns
01-30-2005, 06:17 PM
how did any of you guys fare at oaklawn today? I always find it a good place to handicap. Any pointers for this particular track?

Zaf
01-30-2005, 06:27 PM
I could use some pointers, I historically do lousy at OP.

ZAFONIC

cj
01-30-2005, 06:37 PM
I've only been playing it since Wednesday, and have done pretty well. Not on a % basis, but definitely in the +.

Its like anywhere else, find the bad favorite, and take advantage. The fave in the finale was coming off a 9 month layoff, drew the rail, and was going a mile today without an edge in the numbers. The 6 and 7 were at least as fast on paper, but more fit. Nothing else looked competitive to me.

A lot of races have layoff horses in the race this time of year at OP, study them closely is my advice.

lamboruns
01-30-2005, 06:48 PM
did ok today.. hit exacta in the 5th.. 103.20.. tri twice in the 6th.. bad payoff.. and Exacta in the 9th... Lousy yesterday though.. i always seem to pay off more on the smaller fields...maybe betting strategy..Just lost a tri at SA by a nose. Next time guys!!!

kingfin66
01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
First of all, welcome to the board. It's always great to have some fresh meat, oops I mean, new members around. Welcome.

Like CJ said regarding OP. It also applies to any other track. Look for value.

cj
01-30-2005, 06:56 PM
One thing I've noticed, every time the OP announcer calls the wrong horse the winner, I win...2 for 2, one Saturday, one Sunday, he's struggling.

Trevor called the wrong horse 2nd in the 7th today at SA. Must be in the air...

lamboruns
01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
yeah terry wallace at OP calls wrong horses sometimes!... the announcer did call it wrong in the seventh.. i had.. 6,7/ALL in that race on a tri.. i new i should have boxed the 6 and 7... i think the 6 horse got injured..anyone catch that?

garyoz
01-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Terry Wallace is an Oaklawn Institution. So he makes an occasional mistake, that's part of the charm. He's good guy, answers his email, loves the game and loves Oaklawn. Oaklawn wouldn't be Oaklawn without his calls. Enough of the corporate sounds of CDSN and Magna. Lighten up. Oaklawn is a great place to play. They also cut off some sleazy rebate shops and try to protect the betting public.

BIG HIT
01-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Had two play's there today.They were the angle horse's they were talking about in other thread one scr out and the other ran 2and in 8th race 26 to1 he just failed late.Personely like early horse thier but don't play much whish had more to offer

Figman
01-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Years ago....many, many years ago, Terry Wallace lightened up the now defunct Great Barrington Fair in Massachusetts with his calls.

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 09:13 AM
dont get me wrong. Terry wallace and oaklawn are great. My favorite place to play. Just making an observation. I am not a great capper... but have better luck at oaklawn than any other track. I love going there.. always a lot of friendly people that like to talk racing. also some good smart money. If the tote goes from 10-1 to 3-1 or lower all of a sudden. wouldnt bet against it!!!!! Had a great time watching Smarty Jones in 04. Great place!!!

keenang
01-31-2005, 10:12 AM
I GO THERE JUST ABOUT EVERY DAY. GREAT PLACE. WHEN I LIVED IN LAS VEGAS GORDON JONES USED TO SAY IT WAS THE EASIEST TRACK TO WIN MONEY. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT. I DO KNOW IT VERY MAY HAVE THE YOUNGEST CROWD IN RACING (ON WEEKENDS)
GENE

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 10:20 AM
i agree... its good that its a young crowd.. it is good place.. i am younger but like to think i am better at capping than the masses! also a good place to people watch when u dont have a vested interest in a few races on the card. what do you think is the best value wagers at OP? i have had succes on Exa and Tri's using art wheels.. and betting say a 6-1 shot against the field on exa.. ( a longshot sneaks in there a lot of times for good payoff on say 8-10 dollar bet.
Race 5 was a good show of that with the 1 horse... bet the field.. moderate payoff! i havent had much luck on the late DD or pick 3's. everyone tells me the late DD is the best value usually.

Valuist
01-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Hawthorne shippers have done very well so far at the meet.

Bobby
01-31-2005, 10:46 AM
A LOT OF fine women on the weekends.

I wish they'd add a turf course with all that money they're getting from the "parimutuel" slots. that's what OP is missing. when OP had that election for REAL slots management said they'd add a turf course if they won it. well, they lost.

Good place, solid horses and look what Smarty did for that place. Mgmt spent $5 million for the bonus and will probably get $20 million back.

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 10:50 AM
i agree... also the capping service i use as a guidline sometimes... seems to do good for OP...sunday... of its top 3 on the service the winner was in there 7 times... and it picked the winner outright 4 times.. pretty good for a 9 race card..except all the picks where the chalks.... except sleetwood mac in the 5th... nice exacta with moving michael... it also picked the 60-1 shot to place in the 7th. YES lots of fine fine women on the weekends i agree

Bobby
01-31-2005, 11:04 AM
yea some of those women are so fine, I'm like Where in hell did you come from. it's like a damn sorority house in there on the weekends (well, maybe not quite, but u know what I mean)

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 11:06 AM
there are two universities within 30 miles.. one is a church school... its a good excuse to go and drink beer! and the sheltered church girls like to cut loose i think! its a good place to go on the weekend

Bobby
01-31-2005, 11:16 AM
back to handicapping . . .

i've had some success rating workouts. the vast majority of OP horses are coming off layoffs, and sometimes long ones. So i look mainly at workouts and recency of workouts.

In the past, you can nail a longshot with shippers. I like to look at specific trainers. Some of those Remington trainers specifically (e.g., floyd fenimore)

plus, u know steve asmussen is going to win his share. he won at like 33-34% last year. that is probably a flat bet profit. i don't know though.

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 11:23 AM
i look hard at days since a race as well.. do you have luck with the rolling pick 3's I have never have had good luck with them. are they a better value on average than tri's?

Bobby
01-31-2005, 11:28 AM
i bet to win only.

well, occasionally an exacta.

although i wouldn't bet a superfecta, I can't believe OP still only has 1 superfecta race

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
i never bet to win .. occasional place or show.. on a long odds horse...i.e. E's beautiful to show in the 7th his speed numbers looked good.. yes i dont understand only one super a day.. also dont know why they dont have rolling DD's

Bobby
01-31-2005, 11:50 AM
they've always been ancient in regards to betting trends. the trend now is superfectas.

I didn't realize how many horses Michael Gill claims. I bet he's already claimed 12-15 horses and OP's only raced 6 days so far. I don't the specific number. i mean that guy is a claiming machine.

BIG RED
01-31-2005, 12:05 PM
One thing I've noticed, every time the OP announcer calls the wrong horse the winner, I win...2 for 2, one Saturday, one Sunday, he's struggling.

Trevor called the wrong horse 2nd in the 7th today at SA. Must be in the air...

Yup, he tried to take that exacta away from me sunday, cj. I knew what I was watching, but had to wait to make sure because of what he called.Made it interesting.

BIG RED
01-31-2005, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Bobby]A LOT OF fine women on the weekends.

That will always draw a young crowd! :cool:

Whitehos
01-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Oaklawn and Keenland are the 2 tracks I can't ever win at so I quit playing them some time ago. Evidently my style just dosen't fit. There are lots of other tracks I can bet without concern.

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 12:47 PM
it seems there are times at oaklawn that a lot of longshots get into the mix. but i better there than any other track! Santa Anita always gives me hell... i dunno what it is.

Bobby
01-31-2005, 01:07 PM
there's going to be a lot of good horses running. Ghostzapper (probably) Ashado, Island Sand, Rockport Harbor, and Afleet Alex.

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 02:04 PM
dont forget Greater good

Pace Cap'n
01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Great facitlty in a great town with a wonderful ambience.

Lots of smart money at times.

If you see a horse trained by Cole Norman, Steve Assmussen, or Robert Holthus as the odds-on favorite, be very wary about trying to beat it. No matter what the form says.

The trainer Kenny Smith will have a $100 horse sometime during the meet.

Track's been there over a hundred years and no winner's circle. Or turf.

Be sure to eat at Mrs. Millers.

lamboruns
01-31-2005, 08:07 PM
i agree with you.. an assmussen horse.. and a holthus horse as favorites are hard to bet against. The holthus horses with long odds sneak in the money lots of times. the only gripe i have with oaklawn is the shortness of the season 55 racing days... i would like to see a late summer/early fall season as well.

toetoe
01-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Lambo Field,
What is an art wheel?

lamboruns
02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
PART* Wheel... key slipped on me

keenang
02-01-2005, 11:15 AM
PACECAP

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS ABOUT OUR TOWN.