cj
01-29-2005, 09:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1978241

Valuist
01-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Good riddance.

Show Me the Wire
01-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah good riddance, I will pay $75. to see Jerry Hairston play, LOL.

All that the Samster has done for the Cubs and the Cubs are willing to take Jerry Hairston? Dusty did you pose for Boxcar's avitar?

Valuist
01-29-2005, 07:31 PM
It frees up $17 million in payroll for this season. Hendry isn't finished. He's going after a LH bat in the outfield and a closer, probably Dotel.

Show Me the Wire
01-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Freeing up all that money is great! When Dusty manages (if you could call what he does managing) the Cubs out of the play-offs again, he will only have Hendry to blame. Won't be able to blame Chip (poor play-by-play anyway), Stone (superb baseball color guy and Cy Young pitcher), and Sosa.

If I was Dusty, I would have kept Sosa for a scapegoat, because Hendry won't fit the role. Bye, bye Dusty you were the pawn to get rid of Sosa's contract and now your usefullness is over.

toetoe
01-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Valuist,
Is that closer's first name Dontask?

LutherCalvin
01-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Sammy Sosa is a selfish bum. His records are as suspect as Barry Bonds and for a while he used a cork bat. He wore out his welcome with Cubs fans this past year by his failure in clutch situations, and refusing to play the final game after the Cubs were eliminated from the playoffs. He proceeded to leave the final game 13 minutes after the game started (he was caught on videotape) and later lied, saying he had left during the 7th inning. Sosa blamed the manager for dropping him to 6th batting position after he agreed to the move. Sosa also falsely claimed that the manager was blaming him for the late season collapse of the Cubs. The guy is an idiot who in the past has hit his wife over the head with a bottle during an argument. He is chronically late to spring training, and thinks that the world revolves around him. He has no class and may be one of the most narcissistic ballplayers of all time. Baltimore will get tired of his antics. For Chicago fans, it's been a long time coming. We're tired of his mugging for the camera, blowing kisses to his family. He can shove his 18 million dollar contract up his ass. Goodbye, Sammy! Good riddance!!!

headhawg
01-31-2005, 10:06 PM
It frees up $17 million in payroll for this season. Hendry isn't finished. He's going after a LH bat in the outfield and a closer, probably Dotel.

I think the Cubs will be responsible for $10-12 million of Sosa's contract this year. I'm not sure about the next year, which I thought was an automatic option for $18 mil.

Valuist
02-02-2005, 01:00 PM
You are correct about the 12.5 million. They're going to have to replace Sosa and Alou's production but Sammy was going to be leaving in another year anyways. Its one thing to be a cancer when you hit 60 HRs and drive in 140 but when the numbers get cut in half and the BA falls to .250 and you make plenty of bad plays in the outfield then it doesn't get overlooked. They're still hoping to sign Maggs.

betchatoo
02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
I think they've pretty much given up on the idea of signing Ordonez and are going to announce the've signed Burnitz as soon as the Sosa deal is official.

Valuist
02-02-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm not real high on Burnitz. He may hit 30 HRs but he probably won't top .230 in BA and will fan at least 150 times. I thought Aubrey Huff from Tampa was a possibility; I'd much rather have him than Burnitz.

betchatoo
02-02-2005, 03:41 PM
The one positive on Burnitz is that he has always hit well in Wrigley. The big negative is that he strikes out as much as Sammy. But from what I've heard, it's a done deal

Valuist
02-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Check out Burnitz' home and road splits from last year. Exactly 270 at bats each. Shows just how big a joke Coors Field is:

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5061/splits

Valuist
02-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I guess Baltimore/Washington is becoming Chicago's dumping grounds for its aging stars: first Albert Belle, then MJ, now Sammy. Can Urlacher be far behind?