PDA

View Full Version : Which Sport can go?

sq764
01-28-2005, 09:59 AM
If a professional sports league went under for good and never played one more game, which one would bother you the least?

Doc
01-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Definitely the NHL. I'm glad it's DOA for this season.

A close second would be the NBA. I can't stand watching all those thug players that make obscene amounts of money act like prima donnas.

betchatoo
01-28-2005, 10:14 AM
I voted for soccer, which I never watch, but i haven't even noticed the NHL was on strike, so I could have voted there, too.

JustRalph
01-28-2005, 10:54 AM
You should have been able to select more than one...........I am sure there are several people who would have checked more than one.......

sq764
01-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Good point.. Maybe PA can change it to allow multiple votes

hurrikane
01-28-2005, 11:23 AM
you left some off.

pga
lpga
senior pga

curling

wwf

and a few others.

not that I would vote against them...well, ect curling and wwf

sq764
01-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Figman, what the???? :confused:

cj
01-28-2005, 12:24 PM
USTA = tennis? Say what?

sq764
01-28-2005, 12:41 PM
USTA = tennis? Say what?
www.usta.com
??

ceejay
01-28-2005, 12:51 PM
cj,

The USTA is the largest tennis organization in the world, with 17 regional sections over 640,000 members, thousands of volunteers and a professional staff dedicated to growing the sport http://www.usta.com/aboutus/default.sps?iType=920&icustompageid=1139

I think that they run the US open, and a developmental "pro circuit." I think that the "major league" circuits are the ATP and WTA.

cj
01-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes, I know what it is. The professional tour is the ATP for men, WTA for women. The USTA is a national organization that runs a tournament.

sq764
01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Yes, I know what it is. The professional tour is the ATP for men, WTA for women. The USTA is a national organization that runs a tournament.
Um, ok.. I think everyone got the idea though..

ceejay
01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Sorry, 1A. No intent to offend!

cj
01-28-2005, 12:57 PM
To be honest, its tough to put individual sports on the list with team sports. Where is golf? Boxing, which would have been my pick if it were available, since it stinks now.

As for team sports, I could do without all of them except the NFL and NCAA Hoops. Does anyone actually miss the NHL? Baseball is great, for about a week to start the year and a month to end it. Same with the NBA, the playoffs are good, sometimes, but who really watches the regular season?

cj
01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Sorry, 1A. No intent to offend!

Not offended, we posted at the same time! I was responding to sq.

sq764
01-28-2005, 01:31 PM
To be honest, its tough to put individual sports on the list with team sports. Where is golf? Boxing, which would have been my pick if it were available, since it stinks now.

As for team sports, I could do without all of them except the NFL and NCAA Hoops. Does anyone actually miss the NHL? Baseball is great, for about a week to start the year and a month to end it. Same with the NBA, the playoffs are good, sometimes, but who really watches the regular season?

I could do without ever seeing another NHL or NBA game..

NFL is boring until the AFC and NFC CHamp games..

Baseball is great to go to see live.. And to see Sportscenter highlights for 8 months..

The only time I really watch golf is during the Ryder Cup.. (Still remember Justin Leaonard hitting that huge putt)

Tennis - Once Jimmy Connors retired, that was it for me

Soccer - I would rather get a rectal exam by an angry ex-girlfriend than watch any portion of any soccer game

Boxing - I don't watch lame reality shows, why start with this..

Zaf
01-28-2005, 05:19 PM
I could do without the soccer, tennis & NBA.

ZAFONIC

Equineer
01-29-2005, 02:22 AM
Our Brightest & Bravest Kids Love Hockey

There is a reason many folks call TV the "boob tube" when it comes to correlating TV ratings to viewer demographics.

Except for tiny Jefferson in St. Louis, all of these top five prep schools are famous for their hockey traditions and teams.Prep Schools Ranked By Best Average SAT Scores:

Rank School Type Grades Average SAT Score Students
1 Thomas Jefferson School Co-Ed 7-12 1415 57
2 Phillips Exeter Academy Co-Ed 9-12 1390 1,052
3 Phillips Academy Andover Co-Ed 9-12 1363 1,083
4 Groton School Co-Ed 8-12 1360 354
5 Milton Academy Co-Ed 9-12 1360 680

The 2002-3 national average college preparatory SAT score was 1026.Both Exeter and Andover enroll more students than the average U.S. high school (i.e., 752), and they richly deserve their superior academic reputations among all schools graduating more than 200 seniors per year.

It is also a myth that Andover/Exeter students are all rich "legacy" brats. At Andover, 39% of students are financial aid recipients, compared to 34% at Exeter. Both schools have increased their emphasis on ethnic/cultural diversity in recent years.

As one Exeter coach put it, "Squash and ice hockey are tough and demanding sports, both physically and mentally. They are ideal sports for our Exeter boys and girls as they mature and prepare themselves physically and mentally for leadership roles in the adult world."

Young folks who definitely are NOT marginally intelligent sissies love hockey! At the Naval Academy, our Mids are determined to claw and fight their way from the obscure status of a club hockey program to the Division-I level and an annual game with Division-I Army.

Money wasted to support banal WWF theatrics or spoiled NFL/MLB/NBA players could be better spent donating to the proposed construction of a new intercollegiate hockey facility for the Naval Academy.

Here is the current Dahlgren Hall facility... already rich in tradition from club games and more recently ECHA competition, but short on seating by Division-I standards, and the coaches are still unpaid volunteers.

hurrikane
01-29-2005, 06:53 AM
seem like the right sized facility for Dahlgren...

Equineer
01-29-2005, 09:19 AM
seem like the right sized facility for Dahlgren...Yeah, but moving it 60 miles will be quite a chore after the new rink is built. :cool:

Kreed
01-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Baseball --- I love Being at Shea & Yankee Stadium on warm nights. Great fun.
Playoffs & Finals are great on TV. Ditto for NBA action. Love it but when it
gets down to the Finals or when their is some team/player hatred. I play
Tennis & Golf --- not 2 well --- but they're fun, but watching them is boring.
Boxing ... ah I boxed in school, but that was The Sport of Boxing, not what
these brain-damaged pit bull-thugs do professionally. I NEVER watch it on TV.
(well, maybe LaHoya once) .... HOCKEY live is F'in SENSATIONAL --- and
SOCCER live, especially when my beloved WopS play, well, let's just say I'm
transported. After a great hockey or soccer game I can't sleep for 2 days.
LOL, what's the Question? Oh yeah, I'd dump Boxing first, then Tennis, then
Golf .... and bring back HOCKEY NOW. There's nothing like hearing a Rib Crack.

toetoe
01-29-2005, 08:39 PM
My peeve is with basketball, because it COULD BE such a great game. It stinks, and the fools who pay for it (those with tickets and/or basketballvision) have no right to bitch about what a sad, sad affair it has become. It's time to come up with some new sports. Maybe they'd be good for a few years before being corrupted by the hucksters and sharpies. I'll dream on.

JustRalph
01-30-2005, 12:00 AM
I agree that basketball could be much more. I just don't view it as a team sport anymore. I hearken backto the days of Havlicek and some others of that era. When it was still a team sport.

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/img/johnhavlicek1.JPG

sq764
01-30-2005, 12:16 AM
NBA players can't shoot anymore, period.. It's horrendous to even watch an entire game where you can see both teams run up and down court 4-5 times without making a jumpshot..

The few times I flip through, I get to see Allen Iverson shooting 5 for 20.. It's disgusting

BetHorses!
01-30-2005, 02:19 AM
I can do without Soccer

unless they bring out a 2nd Ball :)

rmania
01-30-2005, 09:07 AM
I voted for the NBA. IMO the "pro style" game has been ruined. And I think the reasons are quite obvious.

Take this poll 3 or 4 years from now and I'll vote for the NFL. IMO it's heading down the same road as the NBA.

sq764
01-30-2005, 09:17 AM
I voted for the NBA. IMO the "pro style" game has been ruined. And I think the reasons are quite obvious.

Take this poll 3 or 4 years from now and I'll vote for the NFL. IMO it's heading down the same road as the NBA.
I agree, NFL is running out of stars.. They try to overhype the players they think are stars now and it ruins the game.. You cannot keep promoting Moss, Vick, Manning and others and having them fizzle out and not produce when the money is on the line.. All the while, they let real big time superstars fly under the radar..

rmania
01-30-2005, 01:23 PM
My view of the NBA and NFL really has nothing to do with the stars (or lack of). It has to do with the "It's all about ME" attitude that is displayed with virtually every basket made in the NBA and an increasingly number of touchdowns scored in the NFL.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, it's like these professional athletes act like it's the first time they've ever made a touchdown, a sack, or a mildly important basket in their whole careers! Geeze! Down by 20 points, and they have to strut because they tackled someone. BFD!

Zaf
01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I can do without Soccer

unless they bring out a 2nd Ball :)

Thats a great idea, with one ball its like watching paint dry.

ZAFONIC

BetHorses!
01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Zaf--

I swear I've been saying that for years. It really is a good idea though.

Tom
01-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Soccer.....with two balls. Different sizes. And ball bats. Now THAT has possibilities. :eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
01-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Soccer.....with two balls. Different sizes. And ball bats. Now THAT has possibilities. :eek:

If they aren't careful with those ball bats, some players may end up with two different sized balls! :eek: :D ;)

sq764
01-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Yes, it's like these professional athletes act like it's the first time they've ever made a touchdown, a sack, or a mildly important basket in their whole careers! Geeze! Down by 20 points, and they have to strut because they tackled someone. BFD!
Like Barry Sanders said: "My dad told me when I score, act like you've been there before"

He handed the ball tot he ref and ran off the field.. I miss that guy

freeneasy
02-10-2005, 11:34 PM
i love it all. ping pong, curling, sailing, soccer, log throwing, barrel racing, dog racing, bb, fb, bb, hockey, golf, wrestleing, beer drinking, no lets take that one back, i mean theres so much sports going on how can you not love it all. take curling, you watch these people, i mean that game is all effort, their nuts but i love em. ever seen a logger's olympics. ya cant beat it, noth'n in the world like it. i guarantee you if your ever lucky enough to catch one of those things on the world wide sports events you will not regret it. they got log rolling with two guys on a log foot-spining this big ol' log backwrds and forwards trying to roll each other off and into the water. you got the one man and the two man log sawing, unbelievable. you got the tree climb where, man, those guys can strap and climb their way up to the top of a two hundred foot tall tree so fast it'll make your head spin, and iam here to tell ya that all that stuff is some serious do'n's. bowling, absolutely facinating. bird calling, thats a sport i think.... yeah thats a sport, hey man i dont how these guys and girls get so good at it but they do, they even have bird calling teams, you know like duets. amazing. and soccer, man all you have to do is just pay a little bit of attention to it and believe me it gets real exciting when your teams got the ball close down to the goal. everybody has their favorites and i have mine but all in all, i love it all