PDA

View Full Version : What about the horse ? ? ?

karlskorner
01-28-2005, 09:01 AM
With everybody taking personal affronts to the cancellations by the North East tracks due to weather, an interesting side bar from the Trentonian.

Bensalem.Pa. Winter racingt at Philadelphia Park presents some unique challenges to trainers, especially when a snowstorm hits.

Last weeksend's blanket of white caused the cancellation of three live cards at the Bensalem oval from Saturday through Monday. While Sunday's cancellation was expected, horsemen had to prepare their horses on Saturday and Monday as if they were going to race, which necessitated the administration of pre-race medications and changed feeding schedules.

For trainer Mark Fusco, the scrapped cards left his horse A Bit of Luck, thinking that he was going to compete and feeling pretty darn good.

"When a horse gets pre-race shots from the veterinarian, it's a signal to the horse that he's "in" that day" sid Fusco, who enjoyed the best season of his career in 2004. "The old vets, they'll get their "game face" on. But when management cancels, it's confusing to the horse. They get so high and then you've got maniacs on your hands"

Such was the case with A Bit of Luck whom Fusco wanted to stretch-out, or run his first route race. That race was scrapped, and then Fusco entered him back to race in a six furlong. or sprint event, which was cancelled on Saturday.

Again, Fusco entered A Bit of Luck going on Tuesday. By post time. he had only walked, not been to the racetrack for exercise for three days.

"I would never train a horse for his first route race that way" said Fusco. "Thats how you train when you race a Charles Town, when they're going four and a half furlongs. But I was at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Fusco thought A Bit of Luck had a good chance to win Tuesdays sixth race, a mile and 70 yard test for horses with a claiming price of $15,000. But he began having doubts.

"He was a lunatic" said Fusco "He got loose from the groom and ran outside and ran right into a snowdrift. I said to the valets "Please go saddle this horse while he's standing in the snowdrift" He agreed, so we got the saddle on him and by then he was breathing fire. I honestly thought he was going to drop the jockey (Harry Vega) in the post parade.

Fusco said when he walked back into the grandstand after saddling A Bit of Luck people were asking if they could go to the window and bet on him

"Bet on him?" Fusco said with a laugh " This horse just got loose and ran into a snowdrift and they were asking whether they could bet on him. I said I don't know"

Fusco's fears were quicly put to rest once the race began, however, in large part due to veteran skill of Vega.

"He was raring to go at the start and luckilly Vega was able to keep him out of a speed duel and then he got the lead in midstretch and drew off" said Fusco.

kenwoodallpromos
01-28-2005, 07:13 PM
We will count that as you placing an ad for Fusco. But it sounds like he's trolling for clients.