PDA

View Full Version : Penn National Tonight

sq764
01-26-2005, 08:35 PM
What was with the cancellation after race 3?? "The jockeys told management they voted to not ride the rest of the card"??

What is that about?

breakage
01-26-2005, 10:58 PM
They quit after the second race due to cold weather. The question would then be, who didn't know it was going to be that cold? Maybe they should watch the weather channel. They're usually right on with temps and wind speed.

sq764
01-26-2005, 11:20 PM
The crazy part is it was colder on 1/21 and they raced the entire card.. Odd..

breakage
01-26-2005, 11:33 PM
There was more wind tonight than that night making it feel colder.

cj
01-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Think about it for a second guys...these jocks are at Penn. Not exactly the major leagues, no slots. If they don't ride, they don't get paid. It must have been damn cold, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

sq764
01-27-2005, 11:14 AM
But was it like 70 and sunny at 7:20 then 4 degrees after race 2??

Does anyone think about the patrons that drive out there to watch live racing, then get it stuck up their asses over and over? Mnr does it best, but Penn is close..

Big wonder why attendance is shit anymore

Valuist
01-27-2005, 11:26 AM
I agree. If they could ride the first 2, as long as the surface was safe, there's no reason to cancel.

I remember driving to Cincinnati in January in the days before simulcasting. Turfway cancelled a couple days cause it was about 5 below. I just drove straight for Columbus because there's no way Beulah would cancel. And they ran with the 5 below and wind chills of 25 below.

sq764
01-27-2005, 11:30 AM
I agree. If they could ride the first 2, as long as the surface was safe, there's no reason to cancel.

I remember driving to Cincinnati in January in the days before simulcasting. Turfway cancelled a couple days cause it was about 5 below. I just drove straight for Columbus because there's no way Beulah would cancel. And they ran with the 5 below and wind chills of 25 below.
I think the lithmus test is to have an assigned jockey each day drive to the track with his head out the window.. If it's too cold for the drive, it's too cold to race..

breakage
01-27-2005, 01:50 PM
I think the GM at Penn was a little peeved at the jockeys and decided to cancel live racing until further notice.

sq764
01-27-2005, 02:11 PM
http://www.pennnational.com/headlines/news/1106792057.shtml

Weird to see such animosity, since they just signed a 7 year pact with the horsemen 2 weeks ago..

Steve 'StatMan'
01-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Penn's also cancelled the Friday 1/28 card.

cj
01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
But was it like 70 and sunny at 7:20 then 4 degrees after race 2??

Does anyone think about the patrons that drive out there to watch live racing, then get it stuck up their asses over and over? Mnr does it best, but Penn is close..

Big wonder why attendance is shit anymore

I guess I've been doing this a long time, and have become a bit soft. I've been at Philly Park when it was so cold and windy, I honestly could not stand on the track apron and watch the whole race, and yet they ran the whole card. I have no idea how they did it.

It does tend to get colder at night the later it gets, maybe wind picked up, I don't know, but what good reason would these guys have not to ride if conditions weren't horrible? They don't want to be paid?

sq764
01-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Well it sounds like there may be more to the story than just jocks not wanting to ride b/c of it being cold..

Sounds to me like a calculated move by the jocks that's turned into a war with management..

I have to say, I have the most respect for harness drivers in Canada.. They drive in some of the worst, coldest conditions I have ever seen.. And they rarely cancel..

Valuist
01-27-2005, 03:25 PM
What was the deal at the Big A today? I heard they cancelled. Was it track conditions or cold? If it was cold, it had better been below zero before the wind chill.

OTM Al
01-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Wasn't just the cold but there was a very strong wind as well. Wind chill well below 0 today. Look at the splits on the first race. Never seen them that slow even on the inner track. It was just plain nasty out there today and I don't blame them. Not safe for man or horse out there

takeout
01-27-2005, 06:42 PM

My vote is for CT for the undisputed leader in canceling and canceling late. I would put their record for the last handful of years up against anyone’s, including tracks in Canada.

takeout
01-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Well it sounds like there may be more to the story than just jocks not wanting to ride b/c of it being cold..

Sounds to me like a calculated move by the jocks that's turned into a war with management..

Yeah, management sounds POed. “Until further notice” sounds like “we can hold out longer than you can.”