PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food Nation

46zilzal
01-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Upton Sinclair's THE JUNGLE was required reading in history and Teddy Roosevelt's reading it at the turn of the century CHANGED laws on food inpsection....well whoever's is at the helm should read this one and they will be outraged....Found out about the book on one of the extra's on the DVD "Supersize Me" where the author of that piece has a conversation with the author of this book.

School lunch program meats are NOT tested for Salmonella, the meat packing conglomerates claim NO connection to otubreaks of E. Coli....and like other coroprate fat cats, they are getting away with it.

The description of automatic hide removers (and not cleaning off the fecal matter..which by the way often drops ino the production line) or how they have to eviscerate the animal without allowing the Coilioform bactera-laced GI contaminants into the meat production line will make you think twice about eating another fast food hamburger. And these meat packing houses are pushing for faster and faster production with less and less control...and you can damn well guess WHO is in favor of LESS GOVERNEMENTAL INSPECTION. Quotes Bush I, Reagan and Bush II as totally corrupt in appointing the same clowns that run the meat packing businesses with policing themselves.

Then he reviews how these same bastards claimed NO responsibility for turning a six year old's brain to MUSH via a virulant strain of E. coli after he suffered three heart attacks..age 6, then mercifully died.

A real eye opener.

toetoe
01-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Zilz,
Which book is "this book?" Wasn't made clear in post.

JustRalph
01-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Do you just wake up in the middle of the night and decide to post this crap?

Jesus! Take a another pill

46zilzal
01-25-2005, 12:09 PM
FAST FOOD NATION is the name of the book by Eric Schlosser

chickenhead
01-25-2005, 04:01 PM
I've read the book...

the initial revulsion passed after a few weeks and I continued again with my once a week fast food treks....I figure a steady low level dosage of E-Coli keeps the ol' immune system running at full tilt anyway..

the one thing that did stick with me (at least I think it was from that book) was that due to how unsanitary and unsafe our raw chickens are, it would actually be safer to your health to eat out of your toilet than to eat something that has dropped into your sink.

Is that true? Hell if I know, but the comparison was enough to keep me from retrieving items from the sink, they now go into the trash.

Also put me on to buying only the free range organic chickens and eggs...I doubt they are really any more sanitary, but I found that they taste better and that's mostly all I care about.

Another book you might like 46zizal is "My Year of Meats"....(if my sink reference wasn't in FFN than it is from this one) the gal who wrote that wrote another one about potato farmers that was interesting as well, they are novels rather than non-fiction, but interesting along the same lines.

Tom
01-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Does anyone else see the irony of reading a post about eating raw chickens from a guy named Chickenhead?
:D

chickenhead
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
:) :D :)

Well, I guess I should know what I'm talking about then!

:)