PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Russel Baze, but................

fouroneone
01-24-2005, 06:00 PM
a few questions first -

Why does he NEVER leave GG/BM ?

Are all the Bazes' Related? Mike, Terry, etc?

Will he Get the #1 Spot?

NoDayJob
01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
He took his tack to SOCAL a number of years ago. He had a tough time getting decent mounts, so he returned to NORCAL where he once again became the big fish in the little pond. He has ridden horses out of state a few times for Jerry Hollendorfer, I believe.

NDJ

toetoe
01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Baze held his own in So. Cal. (no, they didn't have to be surgically reattached; he just, y'know ... held'em). 10 or 12% winners and some injury time, I think. It was not even three years later that he returned north and picked up where he had left off. Besides hating that Ron Hansen was demolishing the field @ GGF/BM (We have a new leader, and his name is RON HANSEN, and he's STRAIGHTANDSTRONG! Ladies and gentlemen, Ron Hansen to CRRRRRRU-U-USH!!!!!!), he saw that he wasn't going to get a Derby horse any more easily down south. Figured he'd come back and @ 400 wins/year eventually get to no. 1.

kenwoodallpromos
01-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Bazes are related and come from Wash state.
I think Russell likes the Bay Area, brother-in-law trains. He can ride the races and months he wants and does not have to take cheap longshots.
The bay area jocks know each other's moves and with smaller fields probabvly there is less risk of injury. There is not very many bugs so regulars pick up many rides during the week. They usually take time off in June when the fairs start. He is smart enough to ride off the pace lately when the track is not as fast as usual instead of gunning for the lead.

kenwoodallpromos
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Jurisdiction: CA Track/Commission: PACIFIC AT GOLDEN GATE
Fine: $800
Infraction Date: 12/18/2004
Ruling Text: WHIPPING VIOLATION.

SAL
01-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I'll bet you that isn't the first time he's paid THAT type of fine! :D

Dan Montilion
01-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Ray Harris (agent for Baze) once mentioned that Eddie Delahoussaye told him that Russell may not be the best rider he has faced but he was the hardest trying.

Dan Montilion

toetoe
01-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Danny M.,
Will you agree that Ray Harris is the best agent? What a great tandem they are.

Valuist
01-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Wasn't Hansen murdered? I can't remember all the details but it sounded like he was.

toetoe
01-26-2005, 11:23 PM
The joke @ GGF/Bm was that Hansen had come up the rail too often against Baze. NOBODY passes The Rustler on the rail at Golden Gate Fields or Baze Meadows.