PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence or Betting Ploy?

CamptownRaces.com
04-06-2002, 12:02 AM
Coincidence or Betting Ploy?

I was charting the odds at Bay Meadows today and caught something that you only notice every once in a while.

An 8-1 shot on the Morning Line opened as the betting favorite at 8/5. It had 1,400 + in the win pool, which in turn had the Morning Line Favorite overlayed to 10-1. Yeah, okay, that happens...But...

I decided to record not only the minute to minute odds, but the Win, Place, and Show pool totals as well. Just as I had suspected, somebody started slowly pulling their money off of that horse that was at 8-1 on the ML. They watched the general public, chase this bet down horse, and tried to time the pulling of their money perfectly, so not to disturb the low odds, and tip the general public off that something wasn't right.

Again, I've recorded the pool totals and the odds... Take a look at what you can see if you know what to look for!

Bay Meadows
Race 5
16 mins. to Post
------------M/L---Odds---Win----Place---Show
#2---------8-------9/5---1740-----881-----302

Bay Meadows
Race 5
15 mins. to Post
#2---------8-------9/5---1715-----887-----302

Take a close look... The WIN Pool is LOWER than what it was, AFTER a full 60 seconds of the public pouring their money into it.

Bay Meadows
Race 5
14 mins. to Post
#2---------8-------8/5---1942-----910-----304

Bay Meadows
Race 5
13 mins. to Post
#2---------8-------9/5---1873-----908-----310

And AGAIN!!! The WIN Pool is LOWER than what it was, AFTER a full 60 seconds of the public pouring their money into it.

The general public doesn't really watch the pool totals, and were still fooled by the low odds of this possible Wagering Ploy. They continued to pour their money onto this bet down horse.

Bay Meadows
Race 5
12 mins. to Post
#2---------8-------9/5---1986-----916-----310

Bay Meadows
Race 5
11 mins. to Post
#2---------8-------9/5---2207-----926-----314

It looked to me that right about the post parade wagering lull, is when the person, or people that may have created this false favorite had successfully withdrawn all of the money that they had bet to originally fool the public.

The Public just continued to bet on this so called Value Horse, which in turn inflated the ML favorites odds to well over what it should have been. I'm glad to say that the one or ones that may have created this phony favorite, probably missed cashing their new win ticket as the ML favorite ran second in a close photo finish.

The "Bet Down" horse didn't even hit the board!!!

Don't fall for the Wagering Ploys that some folks are real good at creating!! Pay attention and they can't fool you most of the time!! They do this to take the attention off of the Favorite that they intended to play all along! If they had made their bets up front on the ML favorite, the general public would have followed their lead and knocked the ML favorites odds down to even money or lower! This way the ML favorite goes off as an overlay, as this one did. The ML was 5/2. The last odds that I saw on this horse were 4-1...

So you tell me...

Coincidence or Betting Ploy?

Please understand that the Track has nothing to do with this. This is a bettor, or group of bettors that know how to manipulate the general publics wagering tactics...

The track really has no way of controlling this either... You have to be able to change your ticket before the race runs.....What if you really did just make a mistake?

Don't think that Racing is crooked either!

If everyone knew what to watch out for, we'd have the manipulators out on their ear!!

Good Luck,
Play Smart,
Charles

smf
04-06-2002, 12:17 AM
CTR,

This happens everywhere. Even a small guppy like me has done this before. At LS you could make as many $200 bets as you like and exchange 'em back to the same teller w/ 4 mtp, no problem.

I quit doing it b/c it didn't produce the desired effect/ results.

CamptownRaces.com
04-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by smf
CTR,

This happens everywhere. Even a small guppy like me has done this before. At LS you could make as many $200 bets as you like and exchange 'em back to the same teller w/ 4 mtp, no problem.

I quit doing it b/c it didn't produce the desired effect/ results.

I KNOW that this happens all over and quite a bit... Just hard to catch most of the time on the board.

I'm just trying to let those that don't know this, that it's a good idea to take a couple of minutes and watch the win pool to make sure they're not going to chase a phony favorite...

Charles