PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice instructions

kenwoodallpromos
01-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Are apprentice given common routine instructions, like "stay wide and avoid trouble" or "just rate the horse if you cannot get the lead"?

hurrikane
01-24-2005, 08:23 AM
probably.

'let see if you can get all the way around the track without falling off." :D

Valuist
01-24-2005, 09:50 AM
How about:

"Would you be willing to pack a buzzer?

gillenr
01-24-2005, 10:41 AM
In the USA, "turn left".

JustRalph
01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Here is a can of Nair....if you get a chance, rub some on PVal's Head
http://www.naircare.com/products/cream/cream_glide.gif

CryingForTheHorses
01-24-2005, 06:43 PM
LMAO you guys are funny.
A trainer will ride a "bug" for several reasons, The main reason being the weight factor! You will see "the bug' named on old class horse, Cheap horses, Speed horses and lastly, You will see a bug rider on them sore horses cause they let them run. There are also lots of different instructions you can give him.The main thing you ask is that he stays clear of any problems, The horse will dictate where he will be in the race, If he is a speed horse, All you can hope for is a clean break and the fastest horse. If your bug has to come from behind, All he has to do is urge his horse as again the horse will dictate when he moves.I love to ride the bug! They really try for you, No matter what kid of horse they are on.

jotb
01-24-2005, 07:03 PM
They really try for you, No matter what kid of horse they are on.[/QUOTE]

So, what you are saying is, you would rather have a "bug rider" on your sore horse even though the apprentice may jeopardise his or her career. That's interesting!

Joe

kenwoodallpromos
01-24-2005, 11:04 PM
I understand. I have seen older jockeys coming back from injuries lose some of their agressiveness for awhile; And I see some horses favoring a leg in the post parade who just need to stretch and warm up and then run fine; maybe some bugs give a horse a little extra push it needs without wasting it.

CryingForTheHorses
01-25-2005, 04:39 AM
Im not saying falling down sore, Lots of old horses get stiff and arent as smooth as they used to be, I myself have ridden these type!, Kind of like a old car..If a horse is that sore before his race, The jock does have the choice of either riding him or having him scratched at the gate. Its his/her choice

jotb
01-25-2005, 06:11 AM
[QUOTE=McSchell_Racing]Im not saying falling down sore, Lots of old horses get stiff and arent as smooth as they used to be, I myself have ridden these type!, Kind of like a old car..

I guess what you are saying is, the journeyman rider is not as experienced as the apprentice rider, when it comes to knowing the difference between a sore horse and a bad legged horse.

Let's get something straight here McSchell. There's a big difference between horses that have a "knee" or an "ankle". Yes, the apprentice rider will allow a horse to run if he has a "knee" but once the apprentice is involved in a spill because a horse had a "knee", I'm sure their thinking changes for the future. The problem with the apprentices in this country is their lack of experience with the thoroughbred. Most of the apprentices do not learn from the ground up.

Joe

Brian Flewwelling
01-25-2005, 08:39 AM
[
... but once the apprentice is involved in a spill because a horse had a "knee", I'm sure their thinking changes for the future. The problem with the apprentices in this country is their lack of experience with the thoroughbred. Most of the apprentices do not learn from the ground up.

Joe

So Joe, you are saying that they learn from the Saddle-down-to-the-ground
rather than from the ground up
:D

Fleww

CryingForTheHorses
01-27-2005, 04:34 AM
[QUOTE=McSchell_Racing]Im not saying falling down sore, Lots of old horses get stiff and arent as smooth as they used to be, I myself have ridden these type!, Kind of like a old car..

I guess what you are saying is, the journeyman rider is not as experienced as the apprentice rider, when it comes to knowing the difference between a sore horse and a bad legged horse.

Let's get something straight here McSchell. There's a big difference between horses that have a "knee" or an "ankle". Yes, the apprentice rider will allow a horse to run if he has a "knee" but once the apprentice is involved in a spill because a horse had a "knee", I'm sure their thinking changes for the future. The problem with the apprentices in this country is their lack of experience with the thoroughbred. Most of the apprentices do not learn from the ground up.

Joe
Yes Joe Lets get something straight!
Lots of these bug riders gallop their mounts in the morn, I have seen them get on a horse they will ride for weeks before the race, Not like its the first time they have ever been on the horse!. You must also remember a horse with problems will take care of themselves,Lots of horses have problems and there isnt too many without them. The agent for the bug is the guy lining up the bugs mount, Its also up to the agent to know what horse is what!..Eddie Castro has the smartest agent in the business here at Calder, That guy can tell you who will be in what race and whethr he wants to ride your horse or not.Also if a horse is that sore he wont pass the state vet exam on the morn prior to the race.

jotb
01-27-2005, 06:58 AM
I have seen them get on a horse they will ride for weeks before the race, Not like its the first time they have ever been on the horse!. You must also remember a horse with problems will take care of themselves. The agent for the bug is the guy lining up the bugs mount, Its also up to the agent to know what horse is what!..Eddie Castro has the smartest agent in the business here at Calder, That guy can tell you who will be in what race and whether he wants to ride your horse or not.Also if a horse is that sore he wont pass the state vet exam on the morn prior to the race.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the apprentice rider will get on a horse in the mornings before they ride in the afternoon but most of them still don't know if a horse is right or not. Keep in mind that most apprentices in the country have a hard time speaking the language and because of this problem they rarely ever give feedback to the trainer except for the smile and the usual nod that everything is good with the horse.

Yes, horses will take care of themselves but it's the ones that run on heart that usually pay the price if they are hurting.

As far as Eddie Castro's agent, I'm sure he is not the only agent that can tell you about every horse on the grounds and it's the agents job to look ahead knowing where the trainer is heading with their stock. The agent's responsiblity is to get the best mount for his or her rider but there are many times when it does not happen that way especially, if the agent honors their calls. The agent will have to, on occasion ride the horse that might not be the potential winner and this depends on the racing outfit.

Joe

CryingForTheHorses
01-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Good post Joe and very true,The biggist thing is to know what kind of horse you have and where and who will ride them, A good trainer no matter big or small will have the agents trust.You do have many agents who "spin" you at the draw. They would only do that to me 1 time and will never ride another horse. Look at it this way. If your horse is ready and is in the proper spot any jock could win on him/her

jotb
01-27-2005, 04:07 PM
You do have many agents who "spin" you at the draw. They would only do that to me 1 time and will never ride another horse. Look at it this way. If your horse is ready and is in the proper spot any jock could win on him/her

Absolutely true, as the saying goes, "you are only good as your mount". Usually agents do not spin at the draw they usually touch base with you when the overnight comes out but a good agent should not be in that situation if he or she does their homework. Loyalty is rare to come by in this sport unfortunately, but there are a few agents that do honor their calls and this goes for trainers as well. Many a trainer will give you the excuse that the owner does not want the rider but I'll be damn there are many gype outfits that don't mind that rider galloping their horse in the morning. It's a cut throat game but this is the way it is and I'm certain it will be that way in the future.

Best regards,
Joe

CryingForTheHorses
01-27-2005, 07:34 PM
This is very true Joe! Where you can have more then 1 rider named on a horse!. When you have a place where the rider MUST be named at entry and may only be named on 1 horse. Places like Calder you will get Castro named on 4 of the 7 horse field,Thats the time a agent can spin you as another trainer with a better horse goes in the race at the last moment.If you know you have the best horse in the race you dont worry, The agent MUST have TRUST in THAT trainer no matter who goes in the race. I will say this..I have never been spun a the draw.ALL these agents want to ride my horses when I run