PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Downs, Sunday Jan 23

rrbauer
01-23-2005, 08:51 AM
OK, I know that all you boys up in the Northeast and Midwest are having withdrawal pains with your racing cancelled two days in a row and no football until after 3 today. So, to show you that I'm with you in spirit, I'm going to take a long, close look at Tampa today and post my thoughts. And, to get in the mood I went out earlier and got the Sunday NY Times....$5 here! Check back a little before noon (first post is 12:30) and I should have a few goodies.

Melman and the harness guys are welcome, too....cuz there ain't no buggies with snow tires!

keilan
01-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey Rich,

A few of us should be kicking around the WR playing GP and SA. Pop in for a brew :)

melman
01-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey Richard nice to hear from you and how did the weather treat you down in Tennessee?? We have about 10 inches and nice and cold and windy. You are correct as usual in that it looks like no harness racing today as they are using the buggies to clear the streets. LOL Pompano and CalEx were open last night and I guess CalEx for today. Another good job with your capping the other day at Tampa shame you missed that pic4 but made up for it with plenty of other nice hits. Have two e-mail addys for you which is the correct one?? the one ending in yahoo or the global?? May have to pass along a few harness bombs for you so that you can enjoy the "real racing" LOL If you do stop in the WR today be careful this Keilan fella has Molson and beef on the menu. :D

rrbauer
01-23-2005, 11:50 AM
About an inch or so of snow here, Mel. Use yahoo email.

TAMPA BAY DOWNS
JAN 23
(Don’t place a lot of weight on the order in which I mention the contenders…I just kind of ramble. If I really like something I will say so!)

R1 - 1/16M F&M MC7500
Two of these exit the same MC12500 heat at Calder on Dec 30. Both are dropping and both have tactical speed. The early speed, however, will come from JUST GLORIOUS, a stretch-out sprinter. She figures to hit the wall around the 3/8 pole. JOYOUS BRIDE should be picking up the running about then, with TRULY A SAINT close and saving ground. The danger will be SIGNAL CANYON another stretch-out runner who gets Castanon and goes for a trainer who can win with this move. I’ll use the last three mentioned in my doubles.

R2 - 1/16M F&M C5000 (NW1 in last 6 months)
Some of these haven’t won one in the last couple years! There’s no real speed here, but I’m guessing that ANGIE AND PAM will make the early running. Top rider T. D. Houghton takes the call. She’s the closest thing to a “conditions” horse with a win last June and she drops. COOL KITTY moved forward in her last. She was a failure as an Asmussen claim in Chicago and he dropped her like a hot potato. She does have some back efforts that would work well here and she drops for this. RESTLESS LUCK will probably be wide from the outside draw. What caught my eye was her last race where she ran above her conditions and just missed. Cronk is having a decent meet and a little move forward today would have her posing for the cameraman. I’ll use all three in my doubles and P3's with extra on ‘LUCK.

R3 – 7f 3YO MC12500
Tough heat. PROUD TO BE ME was pinballed at the start in his last, yet made the lead. He had some problems with the far turn and gets a stronger rider today. I see him back in the lead here. I think that you’re “invited” to use RACER’S EDGE and GOTABEANUREYEV who exit the same heat and both drop. I’m not so sure. FAST FLIGHT also drops and exits a very strong heat. The winner came back in a strong allowance test yesterday and was a Nose and a Neck out of 3rd. The second and fourth place finishers came back yesterday in a straight MSW event and ran third and fourth. Also, Criollo uses his “go to” guy. The one that gives me a little worry is LION’S RETURN. A strong rider change and the outside draw should move him up. I’ll use PROUD because he could get brave on the lead with ‘FLIGHT and LION in my P3’s; and, I’ll let RACER and the Ballet guy beat me.

R4 – F&M 4+ MC12500
Ugh race! I don’t think any of the FTS can run. So you’re looking at UNWAVERING HONOUR getting a lollypop trip on the front end with KELLY’S TEA TIME (2nd Lasix) up close and trying to improve. These two in my P3’s are the extent of my risk.

R5 – 4+ C10000 (NW2)
B ONEFIFTY has a nice forward moving pattern but will probably be shuffled back. ATLANTIS RISING will be gunning for the lead and trying to get the extra 100 yards. ELDIXIE and BEST OF HONOR are the other contenders. ‘HONOR benefits from the post switch and drops for this. No strong opinion here.

R6 – 3YO C12500
ROSE FOURTEEN and AND THE EAGLES FLY look like the ding-dongers here. If one of them clears it could be curtains. However, I’m thinking speed duel here and looking for SHOULDACOULDAWOODA and AMERICANIZE two 3YO with forward-moving patterns to show up when it counts. They both have a win over the track. However, SHOULDA has a win over winners. I’ll work him up and down with the other three.

Have the remaining races in a bit.

rrbauer
01-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey Keith, I'll try and catch you later in the WR.

(Got a winner home in the 1st here's the balance)

R7 – 1 1/6M (T) F&M C16000
I don’t think any of these can beat both RUSTIC KITTEN and MYFAVORITESOLDIER. So take your pick.

R8 – TIZ A DANCER was one upset miss in her last and has the pp-line to show for it. Amends today and she lays over this field. DIABLOSANGELEYES exits the same heat as ‘DANCER and was 2nd at 99-1. I believe that effort is the real deal, but the rail at this distance is tricky. WORLDLY PLEASURE goes for Scace who is having a dynamite meet and she loves this distance. Use ‘em or lose ‘em!

R9 – MSW 3YO Fillies
Kirk Ziadie is so hot right now that they hired a guy to follow him around with a fire extinguisher. It’s R LADY JOY and something else. I’ll try a couple firsters: FENCEIT from Charlie Williams’ barn with some nice works up at Thistledown and QUESTION ANSWERED from a novice barn but who has been working over at the Nelson Jones’ farm and has a half in 48 flat breezing. And look who owns her….one of the Jones’ boys!

R10 – 1M (T) Alw NW1-MCS or NW2L
QUITE THE GUY tried turfing and two-turning in one gulp last time and the effort wasn’t that bad. Ronnie Allen is having a great meet. The ones with the best turf credentials are LORD CHARLES and HUP TWO. I have no strong opinion, but with some big NFL games today, HUP TWO has some appeal!

Let’s go. Let’s hit ‘em a lick!

rrbauer
01-23-2005, 01:05 PM
R1 - 1/16M F&M MC7500
Two of these exit the same MC12500 heat at Calder on Dec 30. Both are dropping and both have tactical speed. The early speed, however, will come from JUST GLORIOUS, a stretch-out sprinter. She figures to hit the wall around the 3/8 pole. JOYOUS BRIDE should be picking up the running about then, with TRULY A SAINT close and saving ground. The danger will be SIGNAL CANYON another stretch-out runner who gets Castanon and goes for a trainer who can win with this move. I’ll use the last three mentioned in my doubles.

Race: 1
1st 3 TRULY A SAINT 10.20 4.80 3.80
2nd 9 ZINGA ZING 6.40 5.20
3rd 1 BROWN BEAUTY 10.40

R2 - 1/16M F&M C5000 (NW1 in last 6 months)
Some of these haven’t won one in the last couple years! There’s no real speed here, but I’m guessing that ANGIE AND PAM will make the early running. Top rider T. D. Houghton takes the call. She’s the closest thing to a “conditions” horse with a win last June and she drops. COOL KITTY moved forward in her last. She was a failure as an Asmussen claim in Chicago and he dropped her like a hot potato. She does have some back efforts that would work well here and she drops for this. RESTLESS LUCK will probably be wide from the outside draw. What caught my eye was her last race where she ran above her conditions and just missed. Cronk is having a decent meet and a little move forward today would have her posing for the cameraman. I’ll use all three in my doubles and P3's with extra on ‘LUCK.

Race: 2
1st 8 RESTLESS LUCK 5.60 3.40 2.40
2nd 4 WEST CORK TOUR 6.20 3.60
3rd 6 ANGIE AND PAM 3.00
4th 2 COOL KITTY
$2 D/Double 3/8 32.20

Looks like a FTS (#6) is being bet in R3....Not one of Linda Rice's strong suits however.

Let's get this P3 home with the double in our pockets.

rrbauer
01-23-2005, 02:02 PM
P3 died!

R3 – 7f 3YO MC12500
Tough heat. PROUD TO BE ME was pinballed at the start in his last, yet made the lead. He had some problems with the far turn and gets a stronger rider today. I see him back in the lead here. I think that you’re “invited” to use RACER’S EDGE and GOTABEANUREYEV who exit the same heat and both drop. I’m not so sure. FAST FLIGHT also drops and exits a very strong heat. The winner came back in a strong allowance test yesterday and was a Nose and a Neck out of 3rd. The second and fourth place finishers came back yesterday in a straight MSW event and ran third and fourth. Also, Criollo uses his “go to” guy. The one that gives me a little worry is LION’S RETURN. A strong rider change and the outside draw should move him up. I’ll use PROUD because he could get brave on the lead with ‘FLIGHT and LION in my P3’s; and, I’ll let RACER and the Ballet guy beat me.

Race: 3
1st 4 RACER'S EDGE 9.00 5.20 3.40
2nd 3 MONTREAL IRISH 26.60 10.20
3rd 12 GOTABEANUREYEV 3.80
4th 6 GENTLEMAN ISAAC

R4 – F&M 4+ MC12500
Ugh race! I don’t think any of the FTS can run. So you’re looking at UNWAVERING HONOUR getting a lollypop trip on the front end with KELLY’S TEA TIME (2nd Lasix) up close and trying to improve. These two in my P3’s are the extent of my risk.

Race: 4
1st 1 UNWAVERING HONOUR 6.00 4.00 2.80
2nd 10 PRINCESS ROSE 7.20 5.00
3rd 9 LOVEROFMYSOUL 6.00
4th 8 KELLY'S TEA TIME

'HONOUR got a nice ground-saving ride and squeezed up the rail for the win.

rrbauer
01-23-2005, 02:55 PM
R5 – 4+ C10000 (NW2)
B ONEFIFTY has a nice forward moving pattern but will probably be shuffled back. ATLANTIS RISING will be gunning for the lead and trying to get the extra 100 yards. ELDIXIE and BEST OF HONOR are the other contenders. ‘HONOR benefits from the post switch and drops for this. No strong opinion here.

Race: 5
1st 7 BEST OF HONOR 5.40 3.20 2.40
2nd 5 ELDIXIE 3.20 2.40
3rd 1 B ONEFIFTY 2.40

$2 Exacta 7-5 17.40
$2 Quinella 5-7 8.60
$2 Trifecta 7-5-1 41.20

R6 – 3YO C12500
ROSE FOURTEEN and AND THE EAGLES FLY look like the ding-dongers here. If one of them clears it could be curtains. However, I’m thinking speed duel here and looking for SHOULDACOULDAWOODA and AMERICANIZE two 3YO with forward-moving patterns to show up when it counts. They both have a win over the track. However, SHOULDA has a win over winners. I’ll work him up and down with the other three.

(ROSE FOURTEEN CLEARED!)
Race: 6
1st 3 ROSE FOURTEEN 11.00 6.40 3.60
2nd 5 AMERICANIZE 9.80 4.60
3rd 6 AND THE EAGLE FLYS 3.00
4th 1 SHOULDACOULDAWOODA
$2 Exacta 3-5 131.40
$2 Trifecta 3-5-6 553.00

rrbauer
01-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Late posting these...too busy celebrating the Eagles win.

R7 – 1 1/6M (T) F&M C16000
I don’t think any of these can beat both RUSTIC KITTEN and MYFAVORITESOLDIER. So take your pick.

Race: 7
1st 11 MISS COSTELLO 39.00 21.20 8.80
2nd 10 MS. WOLF 19.60 9.40
3rd 4 RUSTIC KITTEN 5.00

R8 – TIZ A DANCER was one upset miss in her last and has the pp-line to show for it. Amends today and she lays over this field. DIABLOSANGELEYES exits the same heat as ‘DANCER and was 2nd at 99-1. I believe that effort is the real deal, but the rail at this distance is tricky. WORLDLY PLEASURE goes for Scace who is having a dynamite meet and she loves this distance. Use ‘em or lose ‘em!

Race: 8
1st 1 DIABLOSANGELEYES 11.60 4.80 4.40
2nd 2 WORLDLY PLEASURE 3.60 3.20
3rd 3 IZTLA 8.40

$2 Exacta 1-2 36.60

R9 – MSW 3YO Fillies
Kirk Ziadie is so hot right now that they hired a guy to follow him around with a fire extinguisher. It’s R LADY JOY and something else. I’ll try a couple firsters: FENCEIT from Charlie Williams’ barn with some nice works up at Thistledown and QUESTION ANSWERED from a novice barn but who has been working over at the Nelson Jones’ farm and has a half in 48 flat breezing. And look who owns her….one of the Jones’ boys!

Race: 9
1st 7 PINING 20.20 5.00 3.80
2nd 5 R LADY JOY 2.60 2.40
3rd 11 CLASSY WITCH 4.20

R10 – 1M (T) Alw NW1-MCS or NW2L
QUITE THE GUY tried turfing and two-turning in one gulp last time and the effort wasn’t that bad. Ronnie Allen is having a great meet. The ones with the best turf credentials are LORD CHARLES and HUP TWO. I have no strong opinion, but with some big NFL games today, HUP TWO has some appeal!

Race: 10
1st 4 HABAYEB 7.80 4.20 3.40
2nd 7 QUITE THE GUY 8.20 4.60
3rd 9 LORD CHARLES 3.60

That's it. Not great but a few cashes.