PDA

View Full Version : It is not who you bet, it is how you bet

FortuneHunter
01-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Ok, let’s try this discussion a different way ……….

NDJ wrote “Long time no hear--- Have you or your partner heard anything from Eldo or Phantom? They just disappeared from sight after closing the Yahoo board.”

NDJ, no we (ITM and myself) have not seen either of these two characters since the demise of the “Horse Players United” yahoo board.

Peopleplayer was last seen by me running a message board somewhere out there, but it was too hard to navigate too.

Canuck (Steve) pops in and posts a hello on our board a couple times a year.

I know these names, PeoplePlayer, Canuck, ITM, FortuneHunter, PA, Larry, and the infamous Frank, who brought it all crashing down are relics of the past, which brings up good and bad feelings.

For those of you that missed it, they were the early days of horse racing message boards. It was like the Wild West, including the Pace Advantage Board. It also reminded me a little of shock radio, the same kind of appeal. I can tell you this, there were a lot of us who could not wait to wake up in the morning, or come home from work, and see what was posted on the board and fire another salvo over the bow. The anonymous nature and the lack of accountability made for some fascinating reading, nothing to do with horse racing mind you.

For those of you out there that remember, hello, how are you?, make a post.

As for me and ITM (a.k.a TruForm) we have our own board where we are continuing to work handicapping methods based on databases. Trying to make a “Bazooka” out of a “BB Gun”.

But back to the point, which is turning a profit playing races.

It is a general conception that 5% of the horseplayers make a sustained profit betting horses. I think this audience does much better maybe 20% of all readers of the post make a profit. So, 8 out of 10 readers should be interested in this discussion.

Question #1: Do you believe this statement is true?

A profit of 5% on your wagered amount (handle) is considered acceptable by whales (large players)

Question #2: Would you accept 10% profit on your wagers?

Here is a statement made by Peopleplayer about 5 years ago and he would fight to the death about it:

You cannot make money with any handicapping system that does not show a profit on a flat $2 Win bet.

Question #3: Do you believe this statement is true?

So here is the theory for discussion:

The handicapping method itself is irrelevant. So use your own, at least it is yours. What is relevant is knowing the following statistics about your handicapping/wagering method over a one or two meets:

Win Frequency

Average Payoff or average odds

ROI Return On Investment for reference, we use an ROI = $1.00 as breakeven

Losing Streak yes the dreaded losing streak, you have them, I have them, Everybody has them

Here is a real example:
Oaklawn Park 2002, 2003, 2004 Meets
Races: Route Dirt
Selection Method: Top S/P figure
Races Played: 622
Races Won: 158
Entries Played per Race: 1
Win Frequency: 24.5%
Avg Payoff Odds: $2.71
ROI: $0.94 where $1.00 is breakeven

Ok, the numbers are not brilliant, but remember the picks are computer generated and every (98%) route race at OP is played. Time spent handicapping: none

Question #4: Do you think the above statistics on a computer selection program for a flat $2 win bet are reasonable and/or average?

We are modeling a modified progressive wagering scheme where:

We set up a modest profit target of $20 per racecard (keeps the debt from growing too fast)
Entries Played per Race & Avg Payoff Odds dictate the debt divisor and subsequent wager
Losing Streak Management i.e When and how much loss to take by reseting the profit target

Win Frequency Statistic is used to evaluate the Losing Streak potential

ROI is a figure of merit on the quality of the selection system.

Question #5: Do you think an average selection system can be made into a profit maker with the correct wagering strategy?

The key is knowing your selection/wagering statistics. It can be done by hand but it takes a tremendous amount of work to do it, plus a long time. That is why your daddy didn’t do it. But with a computer and a database can do in second what it took you to do by hand in a month.
It is a new day and age, if you want to realistically compete for mutuel pool profit in the long haul with your competition, you need the computer and you need to take advantage of the wagering opportunities the Internet presents.

This isn’t about a summer day at Saratoga with friends and family in the backyard at the picnic table, with a beer and a cappy butt sub from Roma’s, studying the DRF, going to Siro’s for the seminar, checking out Azeri in the paddock to see if D. Wayne could get the heart and the courage the fire of a champion to re-ignite (he did), spending an hour handicapping a grade 1. It is what keeps me alive.

This is about taking advantage of technology and opportunity in 2005, to reap the harvest of hundreds of mutual pools out there at your fingertips. Grinding it out everyday in Feburary at the Big A, FG, GP, Tampa, OP, SHRP for $50 day everday untill you bankroll enough for $200 profit everyday.

I thank 8 of 10 of you for putting your money in the game.

I respectfully expect 8 out of 10 of you to answer to post in this thread, I think you should.

Pa, you have done a great job with your (sponsored) board. The best on the net. Sorry for my indescrection.

FortuneHunter, going back to the abyss

cj
01-22-2005, 10:39 AM
We are modeling a modified progressive wagering scheme where:

Run, run as fast as you can...

RunningWild
01-22-2005, 11:30 AM
CJ.

Gee I see your board is a pay for Info also hmm Different people on this Board have different rules?

cj
01-22-2005, 11:32 AM
CJ.

Gee I see your board is a pay for Info also hmm Different people on this Board have different rules?

My site, not board, is hardly pay for info, you might look again. I don't recall blatantly advertising either, but what do I know.

And on another note, I"ve never said a word about his first post, an advertisement. I was referring to the "progressive" word. That is why you should run. If you are a winner, you don't need to bet this way. If you are a loser, you will still lose, and probably more.

RunningWild
01-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Greg.

As for me I run the system at AQU. 5 days a week. I have for 6years now.. Aqu / Aqu inner/ Bel. / Saratoga./ And I do ok

I see you will sell the Program For $100 ?

also Iwill not post to this Thread again . I don't wish to get into a food Fight Good Luck and may the Horse be with you as Harvey Pack used to say..

cj
01-22-2005, 11:55 AM
See ya around, glad your first 2 posts on the board could be so helpful to us all.

Tom
01-22-2005, 12:27 PM
He's baaaaack! :D

Make sure your seat belts are fastened and your tray tables are in the upright and locked postion. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

:D :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

ElKabong
01-22-2005, 12:52 PM
"Running wild", huh? LOL. Glad to see you (i think...)

This guy ITM has been banned from more boards than frankguru and his clones. Quite an accomplishment. I sent him a note on his board a year ago I wanted to meet him face to face in Houston but he declined. That woulda been a kick for me. You know, getting to see some real handicapping genius at work, up close and personal..... :rolleyes:

FortuneHunter, RunningWild,....I've never swam by cjm's site for more than 30 seconds b/c it doesn't interest me, but he never openly advertised his site here like you did yesterday. I'd imagine he caught the majority of interest in his figs, however small or large it may be, from his picking horses in the appropriate forum here where you can place your picks/ bets. Perhaps you should follow that "model" yourself.

You guys have tried that a few times before and it didn't pan out so well as I recall.

It seems clear that your site has very few posts and you're trying to drum up new suckers for business. Rotsa ruck to you both.

toetoe
01-22-2005, 01:03 PM
That little procedure, the indescrection? Sounds extremely painful, but I guess it had to be done. Check out my site for an idea of what you can expect to experience as an F.T.G.
HORSE SASS.SCAM (Don't say it too fast.)

Tom
01-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Fortune Hunter and Truform run a decent site. Their product is good, and they do a lot of research and offer a lot of reports. They are players, and in that respect, I respect thier work.
That they have a "fun"side" is something you can say about most of us. :eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
01-22-2005, 02:10 PM
This guy ITM has been banned from more boards than frankguru and his clones. Quite an accomplishment.

That "frankguru" wouldn't by chance also go by Rembrandt, and John Frank, would he?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

RunningWild
01-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Thank you Tom -We try

cj
01-22-2005, 03:01 PM
...also Iwill not post to this Thread again...

Liar, liar, pants on fire, ROFLMAO!

FortuneHunter
01-22-2005, 03:37 PM
I asked 4 specific questions to generate a discussion.

We are running a free an open forum on our board where will post the computer selections for the Oaklawn Money Experiment the night before and the computer generated wagers and results the night after. There is no cost to anybody to watch the progress, good or bad. Hell, you don't even have to register. We have no sponsors and no pop-ups.

Maybe we will blow our bankroll ($2000) in the opening 2 weeks of the meet or maybe will make a few hundred bucks. But one thing is for certain, we will lay our work on the line and answer all questions.

CJ, maybe you are running, running fast in the wrong direction?

If you are right, then we will go down in flames, don't you want to see that happen first hand?

Below is a link direct to the thread that will document our progress at Oaklawn, listing the selections, the rules of play, the wagers, and the bankroll, every racing day.

Oaklawn Money System (http://www.handicappers-datamine.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9533)

There is no cost, no registration, no advertisments, no pop-ups, no sponsors.

You can bookmark it and watch the progress, or not.

Now, back to the 4 questions .........

cj
01-22-2005, 03:43 PM
No, I don't want to watch, I am smart enough to know that any system based on progression is doomed eventually. Short run results don't mean much, because they always look good, until that long run out comes.

cj
01-22-2005, 03:48 PM
I will answer your questions (5, by the way), to be fair.

1) I have no idea, and don't really care. I'm only worried about one person making a profit.

2) Of course 10% would be acceptable, anyone who says otherwise is out there.

3) I would say this used to be true, but not so anymore with rebates. If your rebate is higher than your loss, you can profit.

4) This is slightly better than the takeout, so not bad.

5) No, I don't think an AVERAGE selection system can be made to turn profits. Average in my book would be losing the track take.

FortuneHunter
01-22-2005, 03:57 PM
No, I don't want to watch, I am smart enough to know that any system based on progression is doomed eventually. Short run results don't mean much, because they always look good, until that long run out comes.

Question 5) You don't think a progressive system can be modified to mitigate the killer losing streak?

Question 6)You don't think that if you know your performance over several meets you can't figure out a way to skim the gravy off the mutuel pools?

Question 7) Why is a modified progressive system doomed to failure?

Question 8) Just becuase you don't know how to play a Fender Stratocaster or a Gibson Les Paul, does that make these instruments worthless?

Maybe you could answer the first 4 questions and the 4 above.

I really would like to know what you think.

I have to go shovel snow right now, probably the 1st time of many before Monday.

When I come back maybe you will have made some contribution to this thread? (You don't have to answer THIS question)

FH, running fast, but in the wrong direction?

FortuneHunter
01-22-2005, 04:00 PM
cj, thanks for the answers, it takes me so long to write my post, I sometimes miss the responses. Sorry I got behind you.

I left you some more questions, if you don't mind

FH

cj
01-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Okay, I'm a little confused, you asked 5, then started this one with 5, but I'll play.

5) No, every computer simulation ever run has proven that progression, no matter how modified, will be a loser in the long run for a losing system. Its also not the best way to bet a winning system.

6) I don't really understand the ?, you either have a winning strategy or losing stategy. Your past results can help you improve that strategy.

7) See #5

8) Of course not, I could sell them to someone else that could use them. Of course if I knew how to play them, I'd hang on to them.

ElKabong
01-22-2005, 07:50 PM
That "frankguru" wouldn't by chance also go by Rembrandt, and John Frank, would he?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Steve,

I'm not aware of those nicks, so I dunno. That dude had 40 something nicks working on yahoo at one time, so it wouldn't surprise.

I'lll send a pm tomorrow sometime on what little I knew about that whole mess. After awhile it really got boring to everyone but the few going back n forth. To me it eventually ruined the yahoo board unfortunately.

kenwoodallpromos
01-22-2005, 07:59 PM
yes
yes
no
no
would be tempted to bet too much.

toetoe
01-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Oh, you've been shoveling for quite a while ... compadre.

FortuneHunter
01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Okay, I'm a little confused, you asked 5, then started this one with 5, but I'll play.

5) No, every computer simulation ever run has proven that progression, no matter how modified, will be a loser in the long run for a losing system. Its also not the best way to bet a winning system.

6) I don't really understand the ?, you either have a winning strategy or losing stategy. Your past results can help you improve that strategy.

7) See #5

8) Of course not, I could sell them to someone else that could use them. Of course if I knew how to play them, I'd hang on to them.

cj,

#5) ".... every computer simulation ever run ....", Wow, you must be omnipotent. Now you have access to one more simulation, but maybe the outcome will be different this time? Maybe we are doing something different?

#6) I believe that knowing your past statistical performance can give you the key to make make a losing strategy into a winning strategy.

Oaklawn Week 1 is over, although it was only a 3 day week we managed to make a $60.60 profit on $298 bet for a ROI of $1.20 (where $1.00 is breakeven).

Here is the direct link to the "pdf" results report for week 1:

Oaklawn Week 1 Results (http://www.handicappers-datamine.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=30609)

kenwoodallpromos,

We learned this summer that you can't be tempted and you can not deviate.

Quit when you make your daily profit target. If you make your daily profit target after the first race, quit. You may miss some winners later in the day, but it has shown in other simulations that it yields a better ROI reloading and continuing play. I wish I could explain right now but I can't, I am working on it.

You want to keep your daily profit target to 1% of your bankroll

You want to keep your daily profit target between $20 and $100 to keep your handle down

If you want to invest more, we think you should play more than 1 track. You should set up a seperate bankroll and wagering tract for each Meet and play away.

The nice thing about this system is as soon as the previous race is official and you realize the payoff, then you can calculate the wager for the next raceand bet it. Then you can relax and enjoy the fresh air, read the paper. check out the ladies sunbathing in the backyard at the Spa.

The ML Odds or "off Odds" have no relevence. You know that statiscally your 5/2 horse will be there. When your bet and win the 6/5 horse, you reduce your debt and slow the handle. What really helps the profit line is to go a few races without a winner and then have a 9/2 horse win for you in the 8th race. Sweet.

The key is knowing the statisics of your selection system. And that is where the computer/database fits perfect. Computer are stupid, but they store alot of information and do calculations real fast. Complex computer programs to selection a winner in a horserace is overkill. The outcome of a horserace is just not that predictable. I think a simple program based on a handful of principles does just as well. A program that does the mundane calculations you use in your handicapping is a good use of the computer.

I think most racing fans spend way too much trying to pick winners. Some people buy expensive programs that crunch numbers and spits 3 selections, some labor over the DRF for a 1/2 hour per race. They are trying to predict the unpredictiable event called a horse race.

Having a quality selection system is a key component to a mutuel pool profit system, but the wager system is just as important. But most people spend 1/2 hour handicapping and don't know how they are going to wager with 2 MTP.

What do you all think?

FH

Partsnut
01-24-2005, 12:18 AM
In my humble opinion: :D

It's not about how many winners you can pick.
It's all about the money. Naturally, you will need to know
what is winning at the track you are currently playing. This can easily be achieved with the use of a good database software.
I will not recommend any specific software because if I did, I'm sure
some moron would accuse me of giving a sales pitch.
The ones that complain the loudest are usually the biggest violaters.
Please see the following illustrations attached.

FortuneHunter
01-24-2005, 06:45 AM
In my humble opinion: :D

It's not about how many winners you can pick.
It's all about the money. Naturally, you will need to know
what is winning at the track you are currently playing. This can easily be achieved with the use of a good database software.
I will not recommend any specific software because if I did, I'm sure
some moron would accuse me of giving a sales pitch.
The ones that complain the loudest are usually the biggest violaters.
Please see the following illustrations attached.

I have 2 observations:

First is your Win% of 20% and Avg Odds of 6.5 to 1 for your illustration:
Those figs give you a ROI = $1.50 (where $1.00 is breakeven).
Here are my calculation for a flat $2 Win:
Number of races bet:500
Total amount wagered: $1000 wagered
Total races won: 100
Win Frequency: 20% (your number)
Avgerage Payoff: $15.00 (your number)
Total Amout Collected: $1500
ROI: 1500/1000 = $1.50

I think an ROI of $1.50 is not realistic. Shit man, I would quit my day job if I had a selection system that yielded an ROI of $1.50 over 500 races. Whales are happy with ROI of $1.05.

We are trying to turn an ROI of $0.90 which says you lose 10 cents on a dollar on a flat $2 win bet into a profit maker.

We think ROI is a figure that measures the quality of the selection system. I have never seen a documented system that can achieve ROI of $1.50 over 500 race sample. Does anybody know of one?

The whole root of this thread is this:

Can a computer selection system that loses money on a flat $2 Win bet be a profit maker by using the right wagering strategy and if so, by how much (i.e.ROI)

Second, a win frequency of 20% is too low for a modified progressive bet system. The losing streaks are too long. We think you need to be above 25% win frequency.

Let me know if I misunderstood your figures, FH

Partsnut
01-24-2005, 07:17 AM
The method that I use is as follows:

1 - I bet at 5-1 odds or better.
I used $ 15.00 as an average mutual in my analysis but for the
most part the payoffs are generally higher.

2 - In a 9 race card I will only play 1-4 races if they qualify.
They have to qualify by their odds and the race has to be what I consider to be playable. I pass the race if there are 2 or more first time starters.
I am very selective.

3 - I use a track profile from a computer program to
see what factors are winning and at a substantial Win and ROI percentage. The profiles are broken down by distance and track condition.
( I will be glad to tell you which program I use if you choose to email me.)

4 - My bet is generally $20.00 to win.

Last week at Aqueduct 3 winning races brought me in over $ 700.00.
Let's see what happens this week. :D

Valuist
01-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Steve-

Don't forget to add "Painting is Cool" along w/Rembrant and JF and the other monikers the guy has used on barntowire.com

Partsnut
01-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Steve-

Don't forget to add "Painting is Cool" along w/Rembrant and JF and the other monikers the guy has used on barntowire.com

I think this was posted to the wrong forum.
My name is not "Steve".

Please Clarify????

Exactaman
01-24-2005, 10:28 AM
what exactly is better about the race i bet more on that is going to make me win more.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Steve-

I think this was posted to the wrong forum.
My name is not "Steve".

Please Clarify????

Partsnut and others - Sorry if any confusion - Its not part of the main discussion, but a comment from the earlier posts in the thread (page 1) regarding people from old internet forums, and where they are/'who they' might be now.

Steve

betovernetcapper
02-17-2005, 09:31 PM
One $7 winner and $20 @ day profit seem reasonable,so how is this money management system working out?