PDA

View Full Version : Magna's Horse Wizard

garyoz
01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/62120.html

I believe this article can be accessed without registration at the DRF. Beyer's article is further evidence that Magna is clueless.

Suff
01-21-2005, 03:39 PM

I believe this article can be accessed without registration at the DRF. Beyer's article is further evidence that Magna is clueless.

No.. I had to reanswer the questions because I am not at Home and this computer had never been to DRF.com before. Registration Required

garyoz
01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Sorry, somehow I thought the Beyer articles had special status with free access. I think they used to when he wrote for the Post. Guess the cookie on my pc was completely transparent (as it should be). I know how anti-DRF alot of you guys are. Personally, I'm only anti-Magna. :)

ratpack
01-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Well I agree with Beyers article in a couple of respects.

Most tracks do ignore their best customers and should provide more money to make the simulcast player more access to private betting and TV terminals.

They have installed a Horse Wizard at Santa Anita and I also agree a horseplayer will want no part of it.

I am one who thinks that while Manga has pissed off lots of people with his Xpress bet, HRTV and who gets its signal, it is very interested in having Horse Racings appeal broaded to the masses. Any horse player should welcome this attempt and be glad new players are entering into betting pool.

I think Horse Wizards main problem, like Beyer said is that is marketed to the Mythical Horse player. I also think Magna should market the Horse wizard concept more to private groups than just have it sit there and hope people will use.

I heard one guy at a siminar at Santa Anita who was a regular horseplayer say that he went to SA with a group from his work. He said we all had a good time, the food was great, the weather was great and 75% of the people made no bets.

Maybe something like the Wizard will get some people interested in Betting on horses, MAYBE.

Bobby
01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
It's still free.

Oaklawn has something like that, but don't sound as bad. The thing about Oaklawn's machines are that they really are SLOT MACHINES disguised as parimutual devices. You bet just like a real slot, the same way and the same amounts, but when you finally win u win less than you would at a real slot. IT's a win-win situation for the track!! They just added 60 machines for the live meet. Everybody knows their slots. Biggest ripoff ever

they even have tournaments and stuff. They also give away big-ticket items, and find time to play cards too. Can u believe it? Arkansas is a parimutual only state

garyoz
01-21-2005, 06:15 PM
My problem with Magna is Stronach's strong arm tactics. Take for example this article from the Globe and Mail (no registration required)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050120/MIFOLO20/TPBusiness/Canadian

I am completely sympathetic with the shareholders complaining about how Magna International is run. If you take a company public you have a fidicuiary responsbility to maximize shareholder value, not to run as your personal fiefdom. True, before they bought MI stock, the shareholders should realize that each share the Stronach insiders own has 500 votes (a separate class of common stock) to 1 vote for the common stock shareholder, but that should not effect the goal of shareholder maximization. With related party transactions between Magna International and Magna Entertainment resulting in MI shareholders subsidizing ME. This reminds me of the Rigas family at Adelphia Cable.

The fact that Magna has put NY Senate Majority Leader Bruno's son on its lobbyist payroll is also typical of Stronach's heavy handed methods.

In terms of these Laurel terminals, I wonder if they did any market research, or if this is just another half-cocked idea, like the acquisition of Great Lakes Downs and Portland Meadows.

I still watch HRTV and bet Magna tracks. You can dislike management philosophies and practices and still hold your nose and do business with them. I've been playing those tracks before Magna owned them, and I'll probably be playing them after Magna blows up.

Brian Flewwelling
01-22-2005, 01:02 AM

i signed up again, answered the questions and get a damn syntax error from their db when i try to sign in.

don't you just luv DRF

brian