PDA

View Full Version : MS Access Question

BillW
01-20-2005, 02:13 AM
I seem to remember that Access can be used as a front end client app. for a more robust database. Is this true? If so do they support a standard ODBC interface (i.e. can they interface to other than a MS Server?)?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

hurrikane
01-20-2005, 08:21 AM
my experience has been it is very clunky. (is that a word?)

you can of course interface though vb or anouther language. It doesn't like anythign that is not windows.

The work i have done with mysql I found it is going to be easier to dump access.

why do you want to use it for a front end?

BillW
01-20-2005, 12:43 PM
my experience has been it is very clunky. (is that a word?)

you can of course interface though vb or anouther language. It doesn't like anythign that is not windows.

The work i have done with mysql I found it is going to be easier to dump access.

why do you want to use it for a front end?

I researching this for a friend. I want to try to set him up using a database on Windows that is not a nightmare (size restrictions, unstability, high maintenance requirements etc.). I'm familiar with a lot of servers (I use postgreSQL here - on Linux). But I'm looking for a reasonable client for him to use with minimal programming effort (none would be nice as I don't use Windows and am not in a good position to support it). postgreSQL will serve standard ODBC/JDBC interfaces.

I'm open for any recommendations! How are you using mySQL and what do you use as a frontend?

Bill

hurrikane
01-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Bill,
you can use the odbc connection and link to the tables in access. File>>get external data>>link tables

like I say...it's a little clunky.

I assume you have the drivers for the odbc connection or at least can get them

BillW
01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Bill,
you can use the odbc connection and link to the tables in access. File>>get external data>>link tables

like I say...it's a little clunky.

I assume you have the drivers for the odbc connection or at least can get them

I believe so, but still in the research mode so assuming this is the path pursued, I won't know if the driver is functional till I get to implementation.

Thanks for the input and help - I'll probably be screaming for more help as time goes on :).

Bill

DJofSD
01-20-2005, 09:02 PM
I believe you can front-end an Access data base by using the Jet engine.

Here's an old link: http://www.microsoft.com/accessdev/articles/JETWP.HTM

DJofSD