PDA

View Full Version : Bald eagles and cayotes in boston

lamboguy
01-23-2023, 05:21 AM
lately, I have been seeing a few bald eagles hanging out in a park that i go to with my dog. last night i saw a pack of coyotes on my street.

this seems to be something new to my area, until recently i had only seen red-tailed hawks. so now i have to figure out how to dodge those 2 things because my 14-pound dog is a prime candidate for breakfast, dinner, or lunch for these things.

Inner Dirt
01-23-2023, 02:16 PM
It seems coyotes have become more brazen these days. I saw a lot of them when I lived in California, in the suburbs and deserts. I strangely haven't seen one in the woods of Central Va in a dozen years. I would get some pepper spray for the coyotes, but even in a pack I think they would find you too big to mess with. I think the dog is a little big for even a bald eagle. I would keep him on a leash unless in a fenced yard. I saw a hawk once trying to get away with a jack rabbit, as much as he tried he could not get enough height
to clear the fence on the side of the highway, finally gave up and the rabbit ran off.

davew
01-23-2023, 03:19 PM
The bald eagles I have seen grab their live prey and try to take them back to their nest. I have seen them grab rabbits, chickens and ducks that sometimes wiggle free in flight. They will land and munch on larger already dead animals.

Your 14 pound dog is safe from bald eagles unless he is already dead or if they are extremely hungry and desparate. I am sure there are enough rats to keep them busy.

Inner Dirt
01-23-2023, 03:36 PM
Bald eagles also like fish, is there a pond or lake in that park with fish in it?

Inner Dirt
01-23-2023, 03:44 PM
The bald eagles I have seen grab their live prey and try to take them back to their nest. I have seen them grab rabbits, chickens and ducks that sometimes wiggle free in flight. They will land and munch on larger already dead animals.

Your 14 pound dog is safe from bald eagles unless he is already dead or if they are extremely hungry and desparate. I am sure there are enough rats to keep them busy.

Where do you find rats? I swear I have never seen one outside of a pet store or someone keeping them as pets. I have seen mice everywhere, one is currently living in my SUV, not sure how long he can last in there and I think he isn't the first one. I live in the woods, but I think they are in the trash bags I transport to the dump in there. My cat catches and kills a lot of them.
I have even had mice climb in my boots while I was in them while cutting firewood.

zico20
01-23-2023, 03:45 PM

I have seen videos of bald eagles taking full grown coyotes.

Inner Dirt
01-23-2023, 03:52 PM
I have seen videos of bald eagles taking full grown coyotes.

You sure that isn't fake? I think they can only take flight with a max of around their own weight, even the smallest full grown coyote will double the weight of a bald eagle.

xtb
01-23-2023, 03:52 PM
Where do you find rats? I swear I have never seen one outside of a pet store or someone keeping them as pets.

You've never been to DC then.

Inner Dirt
01-23-2023, 04:26 PM
You've never been to DC then.

DC is 75-80 miles north. I did the summer tourist thing for a few days hitting all the museums and a couple bars about 10 years ago, other than that I stay away. Not sure if you are talking about rodents.

lamboguy
01-23-2023, 04:28 PM
https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2023/01/18/bald-eagle-and-coyote-battle-over-deer-carcass-in-montana/

lamboguy
01-23-2023, 05:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsB-wC24XGc

plainolebill
01-23-2023, 05:53 PM
Around here Bald Eagles kill lambs, they don't carry them off they eat them in the field.

Inner Dirt
01-23-2023, 06:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsB-wC24XGc

I don't know how much of that is accurate as once a source crosses the line and fakes something I don't trust anything it produces. The best example is eagle vs shark. I am sure all of us are aware what a great white shark looks like. First it shows an eagle like it is close to a great white, which even a newborn would dwarf it. Then it shows some eagles feeding off a beached shark, then an eagle carrying away a shark. I am not saying an eagle can't kill something bigger than it, but the video implies it flies away with objects that are way bigger than it, that is false.

Jeff P
01-23-2023, 08:35 PM
I don't know how much of that is accurate as once a source crosses the line and fakes something I don't trust anything it produces. The best example is eagle vs shark. I am sure all of us are aware what a great white shark looks like. First it shows an eagle like it is close to a great white, which even a newborn would dwarf it. Then it shows some eagles feeding off a beached shark, then an eagle carrying away a shark. I am not saying an eagle can't kill something bigger than it, but the video implies it flies away with objects that are way bigger than it, that is false.

Eagles are formidable and absolutely do prey on animals larger than most of us would think.

But I agree with your point about the authors of the video crossing a line.

A little after the 17:00 mark the narrator starts talking about an eagle attacking a leopard.

Amazingly, during this segment, the video clearly shows footage of a cheetah running.

see the bottom of this post for clickable thumbnails of a cheetah running taken from the video posted above

compare to the clickable thumbnail of the leopard taken from the Cheetah gets too close to a leopard video below

There's really no mistaking the two.

Seems like the creator/producer of a nature video should know the difference.

Cheetah gets too close to a leopard:
https://youtu.be/dg0_HAm-w3g

How to tell the difference between the two:
https://youtu.be/RK_YZyk8bjY

-jp

Inner Dirt
01-23-2023, 08:51 PM
Another thing I notice is they would show eagles attacking much larger prey and then flying off with similar prey that was much smaller, like looking like it was getting the better of a full sized fox then flying off with a kitten. That crap is misleading at best, I don't understand the point.

xtb
01-23-2023, 09:45 PM
DC is 75-80 miles north. I did the summer tourist thing for a few days hitting all the museums and a couple bars about 10 years ago, other than that I stay away. Not sure if you are talking about rodents.

Not rodents, it was a joke.

JustRalph
01-23-2023, 10:21 PM
Coyotes everywhere in Texas.

2 nights ago my dogs were going crazy while a pack were killing something just a few yards behind my back fence. It was a terrible thing to hear.

Last night they were yapping like crazy again. My dogs are on high alert

davew
01-23-2023, 11:01 PM
I remember watching a bald eagle munching on a dead calf and 15 feet away was a barn cat just sitting looking at the eagle. The eagle would glance over at the cat every few minutes. It did not seem either were afraid of the other.