PDA

View Full Version : Martin Luther King Cancellation

Figman
01-17-2005, 01:41 PM
No Mountaineer on Monday night - nasty weather & track conditions.

the little guy
01-17-2005, 01:46 PM
No Mountaineer on Monday night - nasty weather & track conditions.If NYRA ran the joint they would be blaming it on racism!

DerbyTrail
01-17-2005, 02:34 PM
If NYRA ran the joint they would be blaming it on racism!

ROTF.. Line of the Week!

Andy, is that you?

the little guy
01-17-2005, 02:51 PM
ROTF.. Line of the Week!

Andy, is that you?Yeah.

The question is, who are you?

Buddha
01-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Yea, I just went to work at the track, and found out that they had cancelled. Got to love bosses who don't tell you that racing is cancelled and you dont have to come to work. It is outright nasty out. Only about 12 degrees and windy, and going to get in the single digits tonight.

The Hawk
01-17-2005, 07:13 PM
If NYRA ran the joint they would be blaming it on racism!

If NYRA ran the joint they would have run two races first, to maximize aggravation for their fans. Then they would have cancelled.

PaceAdvantage
01-17-2005, 08:11 PM
How come you had nothing to say when Gulfstream cancelled after rain the other day? I believe that they only ran 2 or 3 races. Or how about a little criticism of Mountaineer today? They are running a winter meet after all....shouldn't they be able to handle ALL weather situations?

Or how about Santa Anita, with its cancellation (first one in 6 years, if I recall). Why no criticism there? Shouldn't they be adept at handling monsoon and mudslides by now?

You see what I'm getting at here?

The Hawk
01-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I always had problems with the old surface at Gulfstream, since I've twice been down there in the last few years and they've cancelled, once due to a sinkhole (!) and last year when it rained like hell overnight. It looks like this track is no better, and you're right, they don't deserve a pass. Then again, I'm not saying that Gulfstream is the best-run racetrack in the country.

According to the stats you presented from JFK airport, this area received 1 1/2 inches of rain in a week last week, when the "all-weather" track was unable to handle it. Mountaineer cancelled due to the cold tonight, in advance of the first race. I have no problems with NYRA when they cancel due to the cold. I'm of the opinion they shouldn't even race from November until March. But since they are racing, 1 1/2" of rain in a week is no reason for a racetrack to cancel unless there's something amiss with the surface.

The situation in California is a silly example, and I know you're only half-serious, but it's a good illustration. They cancelled a day of racing after getting record rains, which prompted a deadly mudslide. It's a far cry from 1 1/2 inches in a week.

toetoe
01-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Little guy, I take it by "they" you don't mean NYRA themselves. "They" as in "They said it couldn't be done?" Many people out there are crying racism as the boy cried wolf, but if you're engaging in hypothetical "woulda coulda shoulda" you should change your monicker to "small small man." If you're just kidding, uh ... so am I.

the little guy
01-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Little guy, I take it by "they" you don't mean NYRA themselves. "They" as in "They said it couldn't be done?" Many people out there are crying racism as the boy cried wolf, but if you're engaging in hypothetical "woulda coulda shoulda" you should change your monicker to "small small man." If you're just kidding, uh ... so am I.Of course I'm kidding around. Geez.

Zaf
01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Jarrod,

If you hear any news about Tuesday Night's Card, please let us know. I don't want to spend my time capping it if they are going to cancel it anyway.

Thanks,

ZAFONIC

Buddha
01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Will try to keep informed. I think it is supposed to be a little warmer tonight, but I dont know. Forecast is calling for about 13 degrees for the low and 10-15 mph winds.