PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Winners

JimG
04-03-2002, 07:54 PM
For the calendar year 2001, how did you come out at the horse races with your gambling (excluding costs of forms, downloads, gas etc.)?

JimG
04-04-2002, 07:29 AM
..so far 8/12 are winners in 2001???...only 66%

...come on...nobody had to identify themselves....let's all vote and see what the real percentages of winners last year on this board were!

...my Dad used to say he never met a gambler that loses...now I'm beginning to see why.

Jim

JimG
04-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks to all that voted. 66% on this board won last year. It's tough being among the 34% but I could have sworn there were more people in the boat with me<g>

Jim

Tom
04-08-2002, 05:00 PM
I wish I hadn't kept records. I figure I worked at this game for about $.03 and hour last year. And most of that effort was in the record keeping!
~G~

cj
04-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Couldn't agree more Tom, in an earlier post I think I mentioned I could make a better second income working at McDonald's if you calculated the hourly wage, with much less stress!

CJ

anotherdave
04-08-2002, 05:54 PM
Ah, but it is good stress.

AD

cj
04-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, or we probably wouldn't be doing this! I love it!!!

CJ

CamptownRaces.com
04-08-2002, 06:06 PM
I have to say that I spend 5 to 6 hours a day just figuring out my sports, (NBA, NHL, MLB, and NFL once it comes back around), and then maybe an hour on the ponies about 3 to 4 days a week.

I make More off of Winning with & Selling my sports selections than I do from anything else...

The Ponies however returned enough last year for me to feel real good about the wagers that I made.

Adding it up I made a great hourly last year off of the ponies...

Charles

cj
04-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Charles,

Please don't take this wrong. I don't bet sports, but I've never understood the part of selling selections. Much like horse racing, if they are that good, why not just bet them with your own money? Maybe I've been handicapping on my own too long, but if the guy from "Early Edition" tried to sell me his newspaper with the next day's results charts, I'd be skeptical, so maybe its just me!

CJ

Dick Schmidt
04-08-2002, 06:26 PM
CJ,

The HUGE difference between selling sports picks and horse picks is that when you sell sports picks, you don't hurt your own prices. I suppose you could be influential enough to move the lines, but that is very doubtful, especially since 90%+ of all sports bets are illegal. Horses are very different. Four or five guys betting with you can really change your odds at a small or medium or small track, a dozen can do it at a large track. I've seen a seminar group absolutely crush a horse that should have paid double digits. That's why I never bet anyone else's picks at the track; if they knew enough to pick horses, they would know enough to keep their mouths shut.

Dick

cj
04-08-2002, 06:31 PM
Makes sense to me Dick. Like I said, I don't bet sports, except on the annual trip I make to Vegas, but I guess it would be hard to move the line much there.

Thanks,
CJ

CamptownRaces.com
04-08-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Charles,

Please don't take this wrong. I don't bet sports, but I've never understood the part of selling selections. Much like horse racing, if they are that good, why not just bet them with your own money? Maybe I've been handicapping on my own too long, but if the guy from "Early Edition" tried to sell me his newspaper with the next day's results charts, I'd be skeptical, so maybe its just me!

CJ

I never could, and still don't really know why anybody does pay me to see who I say will win in sports...

Don't get me wrong, my "Documented percentages through procappers.com show that I know my stuff on people sports...

I'm looking to close the NHL season above 61% winners.
College hoops i finished the season picking 57% winners after the spread. and so on and so on...

The fact that people do pay me 30 - 40 & even 50 to see my opinions about who'll win still blows me away...

They either have too much money and not enough time to do the capping, or they just need somebody to blame when they lose...

You got me!!

The fact is though, on most days I make more selling then I do betting.

I'm being brought into the BIGGEST and BEST (traffic wise) pro league that there is the beginning of next month.

That's when I'll surely make more selling than I do betting...

Charles

PS
If they'll pay for it...sell it to them...

cj
04-08-2002, 07:34 PM
I don't blame you a bit Charles, and good luck! Lot safer selling, too, I imagine, though that could dry up if you weren't winning, so I guess you have to stay on top of your game.

CJ

Tom
04-08-2002, 10:47 PM
I decided to actually go to the simulcasting Sunday. I got my form, spent hours handicapping, printing out HTR reports, checking the charts for biases, and what not. I got there early, had lunch, got a good seat near the betting machine, and was fully prepared to make a fortune. I wrote down all the late scratches, and got ready to make my last minute adjustments.
And after a couple of minutes it hit me.... I had handicapped SATURDAY'S races! Talk about dollars per hour in this game!
Yikes! (Oh, I went 9 for 16 in the pickin' department, 2 horses per race).

Bruddah
04-09-2002, 04:57 AM
Last year, I got so wrapped up in handicapping a Saturday card at my local track, that I forgot it was Thursday. I got very little sleep that night and couldn't wait to get to the track the next morning. When I arrived at the track and opened my program, I felt as if I were in the Twilight Zone. I promise you, I could hear the theme song in the background and started looking for Rod Serling. ha ha lol!

I went back home and went to bed. I had one of my best handicapping days ever, on Saturday. Just another senior moment in the life of a capper. hee hee lol!

OH Bruddah!!