PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News Editorial

Milleruszk
01-16-2005, 08:19 PM
The Sunday NY News, the largest NY daily newpaper has come out with an editorial demanding that NYRA be given the boot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/271623p-232638c.html

DerbyTrail
01-16-2005, 08:35 PM
The Sunday NY News, the largest NY daily newpaper has come out with an editorial demanding that NYRA be given the boot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/271623p-232638c.html

Gee.. How meaningful from a paper, (along with Newsday), that was recently caught padding (falsifying) their circulation figures to boost/maintain advertising rates...

JustRalph
01-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Ok...Derby........

Tell me what part of this snippet you disagree with?

"NYRA is a failed institution - corrupt, criminal, bankrupt, incompetent and a growing drain on the taxpayers. The state's racing industry has suffered under its stewardship and will fall only further as bettors, fairly, begin worrying that they're in the hands of Mafia capos. It's time for Gov. Pataki and the Legislature to put Aqueduct and Belmont, as well as Saratoga, under new management"

PaceAdvantage
01-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I disagree with every part of it. NYRA as a whole is certainly not corrupt. The corrupt part has been taken care of, prosecuted and given justice.

Criminal? Again, I refer to my first paragraph.

Bankrupt? Not the last time I looked. Maybe I missed something.

Incompetent? If putting on the best racing in the country year in and year out, and offering the lowest takeout in the country is incompetent, I'll take this kind of incompetency any day of the week.

Growing drain on the taxpayer? This from the paper that endorsed John Kerry for President!!?? :eek: :rolleyes: Ralph, from you, I'm shocked!

the little guy
01-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I disagree with every part of it. NYRA as a whole is certainly not corrupt. The corrupt part has been taken care of, prosecuted and given justice.

Criminal? Again, I refer to my first paragraph.

Bankrupt? Not the last time I looked. Maybe I missed something.

Incompetent? If putting on the best racing in the country year in and year out, and offering the lowest takeout in the country is incompetent, I'll take this kind of incompetency any day of the week.

Growing drain on the taxpayer? This from the paper that endorsed John Kerry for President!!?? :eek: :rolleyes: Ralph, from you, I'm shocked!That " editorial " is an amazingly irresponsible piece.

What's funny is that the Daily New's supposed racing department was gung-ho for the great regime of Kenny Noe, yet is shockingly silent now. I guess the sandwiches in the Press Box aren't as good as they used to be.

aaron
01-17-2005, 11:19 AM
I will continue to play NYRA races.With that said,the NYRA is not doing its job.
If anyone has been to Aqueduct they know what I'm talking about.The facility is a disgrace.The new betting machines are awful.You cannot play parlays.The tellers are incompetent.If you want to bet on a Friday when they have 2100 people in attendance you better get on line early.NYRA handling of its customers is disgraceful.They do not want people to come to the track, and for that they should be held accountable.

the little guy
01-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I will continue to play NYRA races.With that said,the NYRA is not doing its job.
If anyone has been to Aqueduct they know what I'm talking about.The facility is a disgrace.The new betting machines are awful.You cannot play parlays.The tellers are incompetent.If you want to bet on a Friday when they have 2100 people in attendance you better get on line early.NYRA handling of its customers is disgraceful.They do not want people to come to the track, and for that they should be held accountable.I am not going to dispute what you're saying. The new tote system has been horrible, and their handling of it was atrocious. However, they have installed new software and they are pretty much set up now like the previous machines. This is in no way a defense of the disaster of the last couple of months, I'm just trying to let you know the situation may be close to resolved. As for the parlays, I will mention this to them, and perhaps they can add that feature.

Bobby
01-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't see how people can take up for the NYRA. There always getting into trouble. Whether it's the mafia bosses, country-club memberships, weight issues, corrupt mutual tellers, the list goes on and on. It sounds pretty corrupt to me. If all this happens anywhere other than NYRA, I guarantee you a franchise gets taken away.

DerbyTrail
01-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't see how people can take up for the NYRA. There always getting into trouble. Whether it's the mafia bosses, country-club memberships, weight issues, corrupt mutual tellers, the list goes on and on. It sounds pretty corrupt to me. If all this happens anywhere other than NYRA, I guarantee you a franchise gets taken away.

Explain how NYRA is supposed to stop betting coup/juicing incidents like this alleged Martin/Rocket incident?

Obviously you've never worked for a corporation of any kind because corporations include things like country club memberships in their compensation packages to executives. There is nothing wrong, unethical, illegal, or unusual about it. Racing is a pari-mutuel, entertainment industry... This type of enterprise has a tendency to entertain clients and associates and such at places like golf clubs. I guarantee you EVERY SINGLE EXCEUTIVE OF CHURCHILL IS A MEMBER OF THE AUDUBON CLUB OR HURSTBORNE IN LOUISVILLE AS PART OF THEIR COMPENSATION...

Weight issues? What weight issues? You don't even KNOW what is up with the scales situation... If Mario and Braulio let some jocks ride overweight, big deal.. No one cares. If the trainers and owners don't have a complaint, why should anyone else?

And if you think a dozen corrupt clerks at the windows is somehow limited to NY, you're an ostrich.

And there's not going to be any "taking away" of the franchise... NYRA IS THE FRANCHISE. They own the tracks.. They pay the property taxes and maintain the facilities. THEY ARE THE FRANCHISE. And the pathetic, greedy politicians in this state aren't going to get their hands on any more than the tens of millions they already line their pockets with from the New York Racing Association every year...

The majority of people out there have no clue what has gone on around here for decades and decades... The politicians and their families have been sucking off the NYRA tit forever. They've taken MORE AND MORE and are never satiated..

You're looking for corruption? Come to G-D Albany and you'll see corruption that makes any NYRA misdeeds look like chicken scratch. What a joke. And the public, who really has no idea of the truths involved, just gullibly lap up the lurid headlines.

I'm so f-ing tired of this. No wonder Barry couldn't take it anymore...

the little guy
01-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Explain how NYRA is supposed to stop betting coup/juicing incidents like this alleged Martin/Rocket incident?

Obviously you've never worked for a corporation of any kind because corporations include things like country club memberships in their compensation packages to executives. There is nothing wrong, unethical, illegal, or unusual about it. Racing is a pari-mutuel, entertainment industry... This type of enterprise has a tendency to entertain clients and associates and such at places like golf clubs. I guarantee you EVERY SINGLE EXCEUTIVE OF CHURCHILL IS A MEMBER OF THE AUDUBON CLUB OR HURSTBORNE IN LOUISVILLE AS PART OF THEIR COMPENSATION...

Weight issues? What weight issues? You don't even KNOW what is up with the scales situation... If Mario and Braulio let some jocks ride overweight, big deal.. No one cares. If the trainers and owners don't have a complaint, why should anyone else?

And if you think a dozen corrupt clerks at the windows is somehow limited to NY, you're an ostrich.

And there's not going to be any "taking away" of the franchise... NYRA IS THE FRANCHISE. They own the tracks.. They pay the property taxes and maintain the facilities. THEY ARE THE FRANCHISE. And the pathetic, greedy politicians in this state aren't going to get their hands on any more than the tens of millions they already line their pockets with from the New York Racing Association every year...

The majority of people out there have no clue what has gone on around here for decades and decades... The politicians and their families have been sucking off the NYRA tit forever. They've taken MORE AND MORE and are never satiated..

You're looking for corruption? Come to G-D Albany and you'll see corruption that makes any NYRA misdeeds look like chicken scratch. What a joke. And the public, who really has no idea of the truths involved, just gullibly lap up the lurid headlines.

I'm so f-ing tired of this. No wonder Barry couldn't take it anymore...Maybe you have to be a Saratogian to get it. ;)

aaron
01-17-2005, 01:25 PM
The reprogramming of the new tote machines at NYRA are marginally better at best.They do not have tiny tim machines for their NYRA ONE account holders to use.It is now harder for me to bet on a Friday in the winter than it was to bet on Belmont Day or Breeders Cup day.If anyone thinks these machines are on par with the old ones,they haven't used the new ones yet.What is NYRA'S excuse for having 4 mutual tellers open on the entire 3rd floor.For this,they charge you clubhouse admission.
NYRA makes changes where none are needed.Where changes are needed NYRA doesn't act.They do not treat their cutomers with dignity or respect.This is evident in the way they run their business.Why do tellers shut down when simulcast races are going off ? Why was "LITTLE GUY" fired whan he gave a decent analysis?Why was Paul Cornman let go years ago? Why isn't Harvey Pack ever given the proper recognition for all he did for New York
racing ? This is just the tip of the iceberg.It seems to me NYRA is run by the "Good Old Boy" network.They take care of themselves and may the public be damned.

the little guy
01-17-2005, 01:41 PM
The reprogramming of the new tote machines at NYRA are marginally better at best.They do not have tiny tim machines for their NYRA ONE account holders to use.It is now harder for me to bet on a Friday in the winter than it was to bet on Belmont Day or Breeders Cup day.If anyone thinks these machines are on par with the old ones,they haven't used the new ones yet.What is NYRA'S excuse for having 4 mutual tellers open on the entire 3rd floor.For this,they charge you clubhouse admission.
NYRA makes changes where none are needed.Where changes are needed NYRA doesn't act.They do not treat their cutomers with dignity or respect.This is evident in the way they run their business.Why do tellers shut down when simulcast races are going off ? Why was "LITTLE GUY" fired whan he gave a decent analysis?Why was Paul Cornman let go years ago? Why isn't Harvey Pack ever given the proper recognition for all he did for New York
racing ? This is just the tip of the iceberg.It seems to me NYRA is run by the "Good Old Boy" network.They take care of themselves and may the public be damned.First of all I do not want to dispute many of your charges, but I wish you would go see Kathy Marino in Customer Service and talk to her, as she really tries to do whatever she can to help. I know they are way behind on doing things for their customers, but if you've never talked to Kathy you are at the very least doing yourself a disservice.

I'm sorry to hear what you say about the machines. I haven't been there a lot, and I know the previous set up was completely untenable, but Steve Crist and I met with Bill Nader and the Tote company and worked through the changes with them. Both of us felt they had altered things very well, and while I haven't been there to make sure all the changes had been implemented, I had reason to be optomistic. If you can tell me specific problems with the machines I would be happy to pass them along to Bill Nader.

Just for the record, by the way, Paul Cornman quit. I would say it was over frustration with the " Kenny Noe Regime ", and I understand his feelings, but he did quit. And, I agree with you, it was a sad day for NY horseplayers, as he did a very terrific job.

JimL
01-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Aaron, You speak of Paul Cornman in your post. I knew him when I lived in Ny. He was claiming alot of horses at that time. He was one astute handicapper. Do you know what he is doing now? Jim L

aaron
01-17-2005, 02:00 PM
I have been in touch with Kathy Marino.The customer service people are not the problem.They are in an impossiable position.They are paid by an organization that has no clue,so when they receive your complaints and frustrations,what are they to do?Protect their jobs,or side with the customer?
By the way,Andy, I think we've spoken at the track on several occasions and I respect your opinion.
I also know that in case of illegal substances NYRA is trying,but like everything else done at NYRA no one wants to step up to the plate and take responsiability.
As for the scruntiny of NYRA officials,just because other companies have not complied with laws and regulations,that doesn't give NYRA the right.They are a non-profit agency and they can't even accomplish breaking even.
As long as politicians and patronage are involved it will be very hard to improve the product.

DerbyTrail
01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Just for the record, by the way, Paul Cornman quit. I would say it was over frustration with the " Kenny Noe Regime ", and I understand his feelings, but he did quit. And, I agree with you, it was a sad day for NY horseplayers, as he did a very terrific job.

Didn't Paul's departure have a little to do with Steve's takeover of DRF? Not the closest of friends those two, I believe...

the little guy
01-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Didn't Paul's departure have a little to do with Steve's takeover of DRF? Not the closest of friends those two, I believe...Absolutely nothing to do with it. Steve was still at NYRA ( it was May 1996 ) and years from taking over the form.

aaron
01-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Paul Cornman is currently living in Las Vegas.I spoke to him when he was at Belmont before going to Saratoga

JustRalph
01-17-2005, 06:20 PM
This from the paper that endorsed John Kerry for President!!?? :eek: :rolleyes: Ralph, from you, I'm shocked!

What? I am not allowed to stir the pot a little? needs a little more spice;)