PDA

View Full Version : Our 'Sleeper' Movie Favorites..

sq764
01-16-2005, 11:39 AM
In the last few days, I watched 2 very good 'low-hyped' movies on USA network.. THE SCORE with Deniro and Edward Norton was very good, very clever..

I also watched one of my favorite 'sleepers' in MIDNIGHT RUN.. Deniro and Charles Groden.. Sometimes I catch myself getting enthralled in a movie i have never heard about.

(Funny enough that is how I saw Shawshank for the first time... Glad I did)

ponyplayer
01-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm a big fan of Midnight Run.... :)

46zilzal
01-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Robbie Coltrane and Dan Akyroid about a anatomical specimen (head) in a jar at a medical school that picks horses

BetHorses!
01-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Plot Summary for
House of Games (1987)
A famous psychologist, Margaret Ford, decides to try to help one of her patients get out of a gambling debt. She visits the bar where Mike, to whom the debt is owed, runs poker games. He convinces her to help him in a game: her assignment is to look for "tells", or give-away body language. What seems easy to her becomes much more complex.

I highly recommend it. Definite Sleeper

kingfin66
01-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Just saw this recently. Stars Michael Caine, Robert Duvall and Haley Joe Osmont. It's about a child who goes to live with his two retired, bachelor uncles in rural Texas. The uncles are eccentric and want no part of raising a kid. Needless to say, the kids wins them over.

I had honestly never heard of this movie until my parents turned me on to it.

dav4463
01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Hardbodies...80's beach movie, all about partying

Sleepaway Camp...weird slasher movie with a sick ending

The Uninvited....very old, great ghost story

The Lady in White...more contemporary classic ghost story

The Red Violin...outstanding movie, Samuel L. Jackson in a very different role, recorded in five different languages, so don't forget to turn on the subtitles.

The Haunted...Aidan Quinn, classic supernatural tale (must be in ghostly mood today !)

witchdoctor
01-17-2005, 10:38 PM
My kids got me to watch Second Hand Lions. The other "kids" movie that I really liked was Holes.

Zaf
01-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Leonard (Guy Pearce) is an insurance investigator whose memory has been damaged following a head injury he sustained after intervening on his wife's murder. His quality of life has been severely hampered after this event, and he can now only live a comprehendable life by tattooing notes on himself and taking pictures of things with a Polaroid camera. The movie is told in forward flashes of events that are to come that compensate for his unreliable memory, during which he has liaisons with various complex characters.

This was a great film.

ZAFONIC

Zaf
01-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Remake of La Femme Nikita. For some reason I really liked this one. Maybe it was because of Bridget Fonda ;) Harvey Keitel is great as "Victor The Cleaner"

A gang of armed drug-addicts break into a chemist shop to try and steal drugs to fuel their habit. However, the police arrive too fast and all addicts but one are killed. She, Maggie, is sentenced to death by lethal injection for killing a police officer, but she wakes up after the execution to find that she has been spared in order to train her as a government assassin. After a dramatic transformation, she is allowed to leave and start a new life for herself, on the condition that she always be on call for the government. However, she begins to discover that there is more to life than she previously thought and soon begins to wish she could escape from her obligation. But the government isn't so easy to evade...

I also liked Jean Reno in The Professional and Jean Reno played the role of The Cleaner in La Femme Nikita.

ZAFONIC

sq764
01-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Anyone ever see 'Heat' with Al Pacino?? I watched that one night at like 2 am.. Long movie, but very good.

One other I saw that I have NEVER heard anyone else see was Grand Canyon.. I think Steve Martin and a few other big actors were in it.. Excellent movie, a little odd and low key, but fantastic flick..

cj
01-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Bourne Identity - at least it used to be a sleeper, but I always loved that movie

The Score - Edward Norton plays a great role

American History X - Great story, and no feel good ending

The Longshot - This is a racing board, and Tim Conway is hilarious!

It Happens Every Spring - Old, old movie about a guy who invents a substance that repels wood, so he takes to the mound

ceejay
01-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Grosse Point Blank. John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Dan Aykroyd. Music by Joe Strummer (RIP).

shanta
01-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm a big fan of Midnight Run.... :)

Me too :)

Richie

Tom
01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Arsnec and Old Lace - Cary Grant...hilarious comedy.

Richard
01-19-2005, 07:13 PM
A good sleeper movie that comes to mind is "Eddie And The Cruisers".It did'nt do that well at the box office but was very popular on HBO.Good movie,overall.

Tom
01-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Manhunter.....it was the original version of Red Dragon, made long before the Hanibal Lector rage statred with Silence of the Lambs. It was, I think, truer to the book, and really well written and acted. I like it better than the Red dragon. It is on late at night every so often.

Valuist
01-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Very Bad Things, a dark comedy with Christian Slater and Cameron Diaz.

I guess it didn't do better among the mainstream because it was considered too twisted.

chickenhead
01-19-2005, 08:27 PM
A few that come to mind that I highly highly recommend:

Ghost Dog --
Jim jarmusch directed, Forrest Whittaker is modern day Samuri living in the old ways, in service to a local mobster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165798/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj 0wfHE9Z2hvc3QgZG9nfGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=1;ft=18; fm=1

Days of Heaven --
Hauntingly beautiful, Terrence Malick directed, depression era, Richard Gere and Sam Shepard.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077405/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj 0wfHE9ZGF5cyBvZiBoZWF2ZW58aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=1;ft =10

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead --
Tom Stoppard directed, Tim Roth and Gary Oldman in one of the funniest movies I have ever seen..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100519/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj 0wfHE9cm9zZW5jcmFudHp8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=1;ft=20; fm=1

toetoe
01-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Zafonic,
Another Jean Reno movie is "Big Blue" or "The Big Blue," about two guys that try to set the record for underwater diving (redundant?). They have a car on a vertical rail that goes WAY down into the ocean. Very weird and beautiful.

Observer
01-19-2005, 10:28 PM
I absolutely love Ed Norton .. so talented!!

The first movie I ever say him in .. Primal Fear .. with Richard Gere .. I knew then the guy was an awesome actor .. but yes .. he was so clever in The Score .. I love the scene where he first meets DeNiro on the street .. makes me laugh like crazy .. he's just so good at being so versatile and here he's doing it in one movie.

I also liked him in 25th Hour .. and in that movie .. I have to say .. I love the way the background music is incorporated in various scenes .. like in the playground scene when he meets his eventual girlfriend .. so perfectly done .. and of course American History X deserves a mention too .. another top notch performance.

And how could I forget Rounders??? Oh my gosh .. "Worm" .. the guy you love to hate!

betchatoo
01-19-2005, 11:38 PM
"My Favorite Year," with Peter O'Toole
"The Last Starfighter," with Robert Preston
"SOB," with Julie Andrews

Zaf
01-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Zafonic,
Another Jean Reno movie is "Big Blue" or "The Big Blue," about two guys that try to set the record for underwater diving (redundant?). They have a car on a vertical rail that goes WAY down into the ocean. Very weird and beautiful.

Sounds cool, I'll have to check it out. I see its directed by Luc Besson from La Femme Nikita fame.

Wierd , I saw the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou recently , that was a little wierd :p

ZAFONIC