PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a closer?

thoroughbred
01-15-2005, 11:47 PM
One of the questions that comes up from time to time is how to tell if a horse is a closer. I get into this discussion since the CompuTrak "Friction" concept determines that a horse is a closer, independently of any of the other horses in the race.

But the question that comes up is, aside from that approach, how does one determine that a horse is a closer? In other words, when we see for example, that a horse, at the various calls, went from being far behind to being close to the winner, or even being the winner, how do we know that the horse was inherentlly a closer and that it really was not that the leading horse was slowing down making it appear that the horse was a closer?

This question comes up in the conext of being able to compare what the "Friction" value is telling us, vs. what can be determined about closing by other means.

I've been hard pressed to answer this. Any insight into the question would be appreciated.

Do we have to look at many races to see if there is a pattern, or is there a better way, and can whatever method that is used be quantified in some way? The quantification question is important for a meaningful comparison.

Thanks.

Show Me the Wire
01-16-2005, 12:41 AM
thoroughbred:

Feet per second!

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

46zilzal
01-16-2005, 03:06 AM
thoroughbred:
Feet per second!

also Energy distribution and deceleration rates above 95% (Median energy 66%)

DJofSD
01-16-2005, 08:40 PM
To quote Doc: "A closer is a horse that decelerates less quickly than the others."

DJofSD

thoroughbred
01-17-2005, 03:07 AM
To quote Doc: "A closer is a horse that decelerates less quickly than the others."

DJofSD

DJofSD,
You are, of course, correct. But since "friction" is a measure of deceleration, and it is quantitative, this brings us full circle to my original question as to an alternative quantitative way to measure it for comparison purposes. What technique do you use to measure deceleration?

DJofSD
01-17-2005, 11:05 AM
I use some of the Sartin Advance programs and derive my own measurements from the values computed by those programs.

Resistance has too much of a mechanical connotation. Ultimately, what you need to measure or estimate is the rate of lactic acid build up and the horse's heart/lung capacity.

DJofSD

Valuist
01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
It depends on the race and the likely pace scenario. A speed horse that's been routing could very well be a closer when it turns back to a sprint.