PDA

View Full Version : Will you still bet NY racing?

Doc
01-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I was wondering if, in light of what's happened in NY racing the last few days, it will stop you - or make you cut back - betting on Aqueduct this winter. Personally, it won't stop me, because I usually focus on Philly Park shippers when they run there anyway.

NoDayJob
01-15-2005, 02:26 PM
:D I will confine all my N.Y. betting to cock fights and roach races from now on. :D

NDJ

Pace Cap'n
01-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Just did.

If you go to bet the chickens, it's all about the trainer. Got's to know your trainers.

WINMANWIN
01-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I was wondering if, in light of what's happened in NY racing the last few days, it will stop you - or make you cut back - betting on Aqueduct this winter. Personally, it won't stop me, because I usually focus on Philly Park shippers when they run there anyway.

Doc, Playing Philly park on a regular basis should aware you to the fact that
games are played everywhere, in T-BRED RACING,STANDARD BRED, DOG ETC :D Today AT Aqueduct the hunch players made some cash playing the LUKAS STEED NAMED " THIEVERY '' WHO WON AND PAID $50.00 :o

garyoz
01-15-2005, 02:45 PM
The question should be will you continue betting on horseracing. It is the same everywhere. Any trainer winning more than 20% with a reasonable number of starters should be suspect. Personally, I am a degenerate.

Tom
01-15-2005, 03:06 PM
I will still play NYRA, but I still won't play GP!
I can put up with the mob, but Franky is another story! :D

Pace Cap'n
01-15-2005, 03:37 PM
:D I will confine all my N.Y. betting to cock fights and roach races from now on. :D

NDJ

Got to thinking some more about the cock fights. For many years I lived in Tulsa, just 15 miles from the largest cock-fighting arena in the U.S. I knew a few people in the business and used to stop by sometimes.

You talk about some wagering. Folks that wouldn't touch a horse race with the ol' 10-foot pole would bet 10-20 thousand dollars with a nod of the head. No bookies, no one holding the money, and I never heard of anyone getting stiffed.

I didn't bet much and never won when I did, and eventually got disgusted with the barbaric nature of the game. The last bet I made was on a gray that we ended up naming ".22 Rifle" When they turned 'em loose, he flew up in the rafters and the only way they could get him down was with a .22 rifle.

NoDayJob
01-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Got to thinking some more about the cock fights.

A couple of friends from Sacramento and Galt, CA raise them. Most of their money comes from the sale of birds. However, they do make large bets on them from time to time. I have made a few bucks betting on their birds in past years. The trouble is the local gendarmes raid the events when someone tips them off.

NDJ

Suff
01-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I was wondering if, in light of what's happened in NY racing the last few days, it will stop you - or make you cut back -

All things considered it may be a good time to be on the sidelines. And not primarily due to the indictments... But more because of a change in Track Superentendents and a change at the scales.

Until the new guy works his agenda onto the track, and until we see how a tighter scale effects the Jockey colony... as a Bettor it may be wise to stop or cutback.

garyoz
01-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Excellent points, and if some trainers stop or cut back on using their "magic" (and it sure can't just be milkshakes) form could tail off rapidly for some horses. For years the speed figure guys such as Thorograph have noted that horses don't bounce as often or as far as they used to from tops. For sure trainers have always been a key handicapping, but the last several years alot of handicapping is just that handicapping trainers. Who knows, we may get a level playing field again and that includes off-shore pools dumps at the last second.

Lasix1
01-15-2005, 09:14 PM
It wasn't just hunch players who collected on Thievery in Aqueduct's 4th. Players of Craig's pace numbers will note that he was #1 on his last race performance figure. They also nailed Scrappy T in the 8th off the same last race PF as well as a couple of smaller hits. Good day at the 'duct.

DerbyTrail
01-15-2005, 09:25 PM
All things considered it may be a good time to be on the sidelines. And not primarily due to the indictments... But more because of a change in Track Superentendents and a change at the scales.

Until the new guy works his agenda onto the track, and until we see how a tighter scale effects the Jockey colony... as a Bettor it may be wise to stop or cutback.

What kind of nonsense are you spouting? What do you think goes on "at the scales"? JOCKS SHOW UP OVERWEIGHT EVERY DAY... NO ONE CARES. IT ISN'T IMPORTANT ANYMORE. It's not 1954 and they aren't running any 2 mile JCGC's...

Retired jockeys are clerks of scales all over the country FOR A REASON... How do you think Walter Blum got to be an official in Florida? Why do you think they put ex-jocks in the job? It's because they know what it's like to make weight every day. NO ONE CARES ABOUT WEIGHT. Handicaps are on the verge of being done away with in this country or haven't you noticed?

And what do you think the new track super is going to be doing? What agenda does a track super have except to provide the best surfaces possible?

Unbelievable...

kingfin66
01-16-2005, 12:59 AM
Personally, I am a degenerate.

Me too, garyoz, me too!