PDA

View Full Version : Multistrats upgrade

Jaguar
04-03-2002, 10:58 AM
Passing thought, the 25 powerful algorithms("strategies") used in the late and un-lamented program, "Multistrats", frormed the kernel of a very powerful model maker.

Had "Multistrats" contained workout ratings as part of its matrix, and had the models been broken down with additional discrete categories(instead of lumping all sprints and routes into only 4 types, i.e., combining allowance and stakes sprints into one segment, for example) the program would have vaulted into the ranks of the elite handicapping methods of the time(1988-89) and would- even today, give Thorobrain, Horsesense, and Racecom a run fore their money.

The planned upgrade of Multistrats may never come to fruition, because Exco was unable to pay Dr. Sengbush, and because the Ohio Attorney General chased them out of business(Cindy Dulay-nee Pierson- covered this mess on her then website around 1991.)

If Multistrats is in the public domain, it would be great if someone would upgrade it. Even today, it's sprint ratings are excellent.

Jaguar

Lefty
04-03-2002, 01:01 PM
If it was copyrighted it wouldn't be in Public Domain this early.
I'm not fully up on the copyright law but in a written vehicle it takes about 50 yrs to be in Public Domain. It used to be 50 yrs I think and a chance to reup if you will another 50 but things have changed but not so much as to put something in Public Domain a short time span of 10-20 yrs.

GameTheory
04-03-2002, 06:39 PM
1991? There were no websites in 1991...

Jaguar
04-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Quite right, my memory was not so good late last night, Cindy
Pierson discussed this sad state of affairs in 1997 or so.

Dave Schwartz
04-04-2002, 12:28 AM
Lefty,

I believe it is actually 50 years after the author's death. (That's why I keep looking over my shoulder. <G>)

Dave

GameTheory
04-04-2002, 04:17 AM
It's longer now (or maybe it is shorter). Anyway, the rules changed sometime in the last decade or two. I believe it to be 75 years after the authors death. In any case, anything called "software" is too new to be in the public domain unless the owners of the copyright have placed it there. Lots of companies have done this with their commercial software that is old, abandoned, or whatever.

Maybe someone should make a concerted effort to contact the authors of these old programs and get them to make it open-source...

how2020
04-15-2002, 03:55 PM
I have made contact with the author of Multi-Strats and he is having personals problems at this time. If I can get him to agree on the rights and source code of the program I am willing to make a buy-out or partnership with him. So if anyone wants to help or support my progress please contact me. Thanks Howie
HowserLL@aol.com