PDA

View Full Version : Now this should be a good race

JustRalph
10-05-2022, 11:35 PM
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/263746/turf-mile-field-of-12-loaded-with-six-grade-1-winners

Field of 12-6 grade one winners

GMB@BP
10-05-2022, 11:52 PM
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/263746/turf-mile-field-of-12-loaded-with-six-grade-1-winners

Field of 12-6 grade one winners

thats good cause the grade 1 first lady on turf is the exact opposite.

the little guy
10-06-2022, 08:22 AM

Always something to complain about.

GMB@BP
10-06-2022, 10:40 AM
Always something to complain about.

it was a statement more than a complaint.

the little guy
10-06-2022, 10:45 AM
it was a statement more than a complaint.

No, it's a ridiculous whine Greg. The first response to someone pointing out an incredibly interesting race is, essentially, yeah but it's counterpart sucks. I can get as negative as anyone but this is beyond the pale.

classhandicapper
10-06-2022, 11:34 AM

Small and/or uncompetitive dirt stakes have been a problem in NY and CA for awhile, but when one guy has so many of the best turf horses in a category and can control how the race is run because he has half the field we have a new problem on grass. That's happened a few times. I can't think of a solution. At the least the right horses are in there at the top.

Tom
10-06-2022, 12:21 PM
They have too many of those stakes.
Most are nothing but go have a beer breaks.
Stakes used to be special, nowadays they are participation trophies for owners.

GMB@BP
10-06-2022, 01:57 PM
No, it's a ridiculous whine Greg. The first response to someone pointing out an incredibly interesting race is, essentially, yeah but it's counterpart sucks. I can get as negative as anyone but this is beyond the pale.

I will go flog myself to account for my sin.

GMB@BP
10-06-2022, 01:58 PM
Small and/or uncompetitive dirt stakes have been a problem in NY and CA for awhile, but when one guy has so many of the best turf horses in a category and can control how the race is run because he has half the field we have a new problem on grass. That's happened a few times. I can't think of a solution. At the least the right horses are in there at the top.

too many horses consolidated into too few barns. (yes andy that is a whine)!

the little guy
10-06-2022, 02:37 PM
They have too many of those stakes.
Most are nothing but go have a beer breaks.
Stakes used to be special, nowadays they are participation trophies for owners.

But they don't in the First Lady division. There are three Grade 1 races restricted to Fillies and Mares at one mile on turf all year....the Just a Game, this race, and the Matriarch. People can complain all they want about Chad Brown but of course he has an advantage if nobody runs against him. As it turns out, this year he has an embarrassment of riches in that division. But, people allowing themselves to be scared off only makes it easier for his horses.

jocko699
10-06-2022, 02:42 PM
I will go flog myself to account for my sin.

Doesn't the Bible say you shouldn't do that? :pound::pound::pound:

Tom
10-06-2022, 02:55 PM
But they don't in the First Lady division. There are three Grade 1 races restricted to Fillies and Mares at one mile on turf all year....the Just a Game, this race, and the Matriarch. People can complain all they want about Chad Brown but of course he has an advantage if nobody runs against him. As it turns out, this year he has an embarrassment of riches in that division. But, people allowing themselves to be scared off only makes it easier for his horses.

I was replying to Classhandicapper's comment, "Small and/or uncompetitive dirt stakes have been a problem in NY and CA for awhile,"

I don't care about turf stakes, I seldom play them. About the onlt timeI do is if I see "the other" Chad Brown has a logical horse at good odds. I don't bother even looking at most turf races.

VeryOldMan
10-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Doesn't the Bible say you shouldn't do that? :pound::pound::pound:

Well played Onan :)

the little guy
10-06-2022, 02:58 PM
I was replying to Classhandicapper's comment, "Small and/or uncompetitive dirt stakes have been a problem in NY and CA for awhile,"

I don't care about turf stakes, I seldom play them. About the onlt timeI do is if I see "the other" Chad Brown has a logical horse at good odds. I don't bother even looking at most turf races.

Gotcha. I don't read his posts:-)

There are too many dirt opportunities. I agree.

JustRalph
10-06-2022, 05:12 PM

I know you used to play them. Hell, you and JimG taught me how to play em about 20 years ago. :ThmbUp:

This race got my wife and I actually talking how we could work out me spending a few days at Keeneland like I used to do.

PhantomOnTour
10-06-2022, 05:51 PM
Noticed that Baby Yoda is entered in an Alw race tomorrow rather than the Gr2-Vosburgh, which came up pretty weak this year.

Is it a lasix thing?

cj
10-06-2022, 06:33 PM
Noticed that Baby Yoda is entered in an Alw race tomorrow rather than the Gr2-Vosburgh, which came up pretty weak this year.

Is it a lasix thing?

Pretty weak? That might be the understatement of the year. I've seen better sprint stakes at Parx or Delaware on a weekday.

GMB@BP
10-06-2022, 06:47 PM
Pretty weak? That might be the understatement of the year. I've seen better sprint stakes at Parx or Delaware on a weekday.

a lot of speed signed up so I can see why it might not have been the best spot.

PhantomOnTour
10-06-2022, 06:53 PM

Yeah, I hear ya'...just trying to be diplomatic :)

Seriously though, Yoda would be a major contender in that field. He's obviously race fit, being entered a day before. It's gotta be that he runs much better on lasix.

Tom
10-06-2022, 07:01 PM
I know you used to play them. Hell, you and JimG taught me how to play em about 20 years ago. :ThmbUp:

This race got my wife and I actually talking how we could work out me spending a few days at Keeneland like I used to do.

I used to love turf races.
But they are not "special" sanymore.
Nowadays, any garbage that they pull together can run on the grass.
And turf sprints.......I'd rather sit through the race and give my self paper cuts with the program! :eek:

And now these stupid marathons.......trolley car have more pace.

I see a decent turf race, with quality horses, I might play, but in my book. I don't very many good races anywhere.

20 years ago, I didn't have a lot of options. Today, I can find good dirt races with my eyes closed.

classhandicapper
10-07-2022, 08:46 AM

I assume there are politics involved in such things. Plus you don’t want to make a rushed decision to lower the grade just because it came up weak for a few years. That could be random and turn around. But some of these formerly great NY dirt stakes races seem to be declining rapidly. A larger percentage of the best dirt horses seem to be shifting to trainers outside NY. That’s at least one reason. Now there are issues on turf also. I’m at the point where when I start my handicapping for the weekend, I start with tracks like CD, KEE, OP, FG etc.. and take a quick look at NY last.

The Phoenix came up a little better.

classhandicapper
10-07-2022, 08:55 AM

Figuring out the pace and its impact in those races is a bigger challenge than on dirt, but guessing which Chad is going to go and which two are going take back and make sure the other is loose is a new wrinkle.

PalaceOfFortLarned
10-07-2022, 12:01 PM
Excellent field.

Ivar won this race 2 years ago, and a foreign born horse has won 7 times since 1999. 7 of the 16 entrants this year are foreigners.

:3: Order of Australia will be ridden by Christophe Soumillon.

Trainer Paulo Lobo has won the last 2 renditions with 2 different horses and has 2 entered in previous winner of this race :6:Ivar and :16: Greyes Creek.

Tom
10-07-2022, 12:08 PM
And tonight, on WWE Smackdown, Irad v Christophe in a no holds barred main event!

PalaceOfFortLarned
10-07-2022, 12:13 PM
And tonight, on WWE Smackdown, Irad v Christophe in a no holds barred main event!

Will this be the matchup of "The People's Elbow" vs "The Herding Hurricane"

VeryOldMan
10-07-2022, 01:22 PM

Hey, how is this Vosburgh not close to the past? Look at 1974 - Forego won the Vosburgh carrying 131 pounds defeating a field of 12 in 1:21 3/5. Three weeks later he won the Jockey Club Gold Cup . . . at 2 miles.

These horses are totally in that class :)

rastajenk
10-07-2022, 02:24 PM
I don't think they could beat him if they ran as a relay team. :p

Tom
10-07-2022, 03:50 PM

Irad the Impaler v The Belgian Bouncer in a "falls" count anywhere match! :eek:

PhantomOnTour
10-07-2022, 03:56 PM
What about Sonny 'Lean On Me' Leon?
He needs to be in the starting gate - give The Leaner some love

Tom
10-07-2022, 04:07 PM
What about Sonny 'Lean On Me' Leon?
He needs to be in the starting gate - give The Leaner some love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrlhn1H1EWw

JustRalph
10-07-2022, 05:57 PM

Nice…….:lol:

affirmedny
10-09-2022, 03:37 PM

Is it a lasix thing?

might be that the Vosburgh was switched to 7f last year making it not a great prep for the 6f BC sprint.

GMB@BP
10-09-2022, 04:22 PM
might be that the Vosburgh was switched to 7f last year making it not a great prep for the 6f BC sprint.

I remember when it was 7f for a long time.