PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Summer Meet Ends With ZERO catastrophic injuries, Wagering Increases

Andy Asaro
09-12-2022, 07:22 AM
https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/1569284796630847490

Excerpt:

Spurred by strong support from horsemen and women from California and around the country, Del Mar set new records for average daily handle and field size during its 83rd summer season that concluded Sunday, Sept. 11.

The San Diego County track also continued its exemplary safety record for the fourth consecutive year. Del Mar reported no catastrophic injuries among its 2,688 starters in its 294 races during the 31-day season.

Average daily handle for the 31-day summer race meet was a record $18.69 million, an increase of 1.5% from last year's $18.41 million, the previous record. Total wagering for the meet increased to $579.24 million, compared to the $570.78 million wagered during the 2021 summer session.

On-track business increased over 2021. Average daily wagering of $1.52 million represented 4.8% growth over last year's $1.45 million. Total attendance of 278,702 resulted in a gain of 16.1% from 2021's total of 240,030.

https://twitter.com/DelMarRacing/status/1569153507353309184

Andy Asaro
09-12-2022, 07:39 AM
My take is that the 2 year old two turn turf racing made a HUGE difference in the meet. 2 Year old two turn turf racing was rare in previous years and I have a feeling that the 2 year olds who raced on the turf will be sounder in the long run for running on one of the best turf courses in the Country. Great job by David Jerkens for carding those races. It was outstanding. I still think Del Mar needs to run more races out of the chute.

The biggest downside once again were the Stewards. They made one call on Saturday that was so bad it's hard to believe they made it. They left Mike Smith up even though he cut off a horse that only lost by a half length. Then yesterday they take a horse down in a HUGE field on the turf for minor bumping. And on top of that THEY TAKE FOREVER to make their calls. This is unacceptable and there has to be a change at the CHRB. The Track Executives and the TOC MUST step up.

ronsmac
09-12-2022, 10:16 AM
9.1 horses per race was fantastic. I remember Del Mar hitting 8.8 a couple of times but this was beyond expectations. A great meeting from beginning to end.

Andy Asaro
09-12-2022, 11:28 AM
https://twitter.com/Quigleys_Corner/status/1569347118544093184

cj
09-12-2022, 11:35 AM
As many have said, a dirt course can be as safe as a synthetic course.

dilanesp
09-12-2022, 11:36 AM
I'm glad you led with the zero fatalities- California has done a great job of cutting horse deaths, something that really could have killed the sport here given the amount of support for animal rights.

And yes, field sizes were great, racing was competitive, and Flightline was awesome.

The only problem was attendance. A Del Mar summer meet with empty grandstands and infields is foreboding for the long-term interest in the sport in California.

the little guy
09-12-2022, 11:41 AM
It still would be nice if the CA tracks publicly reported their actual handle numbers, and didn't add in simucast dollars bet on other tracks both at the host track and simulcast outlets, thus double counting and inflating their numbers.

classhandicapper
09-12-2022, 11:42 AM
That on track attendance figure was surprising and encouraging.

Andy Asaro
09-12-2022, 11:48 AM
It still would be nice if the CA tracks publicly reported their actual handle numbers, and didn't add in simucast dollars bet on other tracks both at the host track and simulcast outlets, thus double counting and inflating their numbers.

Right. They should break it down. Handle on a tracks product is what's most important.

Handle is also a little misleading, especially the last several years. It's possible that handle is up and revenue is down depending on where the bets come from.

dilanesp
09-12-2022, 11:58 AM
That on track attendance figure was surprising and encouraging.

Not really. The increase is from a pandemic trough, plus they ran more dates this year (they reported total, not average per day!).

If you actually went to the track this season, it was pretty empty. Very sad for a place that thrives on a big crowd of young people enjoying the races in the sunshine.

ronsmac
09-12-2022, 12:06 PM
Not really. The increase is from a pandemic trough, plus they ran more dates this year (they reported total, not average per day!).

If you actually went to the track this season, it was pretty empty. Very sad for a place that thrives on a big crowd of young people enjoying the races in the sunshine.I thought they ran 31 days last year also? I’ll have to double check.

dilanesp
09-12-2022, 12:18 PM
I thought they ran 31 days last year also? I’ll have to double check.

You are right. They ended later this year, but also started later. Still, it was a pandemic trough.

elhelmete
09-12-2022, 12:27 PM
You are right. They ended later this year, but also started later. Still, it was a pandemic trough.

No trough.

dilanesp
09-12-2022, 12:45 PM
No trough.

They averaged over 13,000 in 2019, the last non-pandemic year, and under 9,000 this year. Yes, they were up from the trough last year, but that's still a historically terrible number for Del Mar.

Andy Asaro
09-12-2022, 01:22 PM
They averaged over 13,000 in 2019, the last non-pandemic year, and under 9,000 this year. Yes, they were up from the trough last year, but that's still a historically terrible number for Del Mar.

They aren't pushing attendance and there are no concerts. I don't know why but they seem to like a smaller crowd

elhelmete
09-12-2022, 01:25 PM

Handle had no trough.

dilanesp
09-12-2022, 01:35 PM
They aren't pushing attendance and there are no concerts. I don't know why but they seem to like a smaller crowd

The track really loses its ambience with small crowds. Large sections (such as the infield and the area west of the grandstand) are just closed off entirely.

Contrast this with Saratoga, where NYRA does everything it can to generate attendance and gets big crowds.

elhelmete
09-12-2022, 01:38 PM

I've always thought the same and have been a bit baffled myself. All I can think of is maybe they're super sensitive to operating costs and running the plant with fewer people works for them. I can attest that year over year I feel like the food and bev has steadily declined.

Andy Asaro
09-12-2022, 01:41 PM
I've always thought the same and have been a bit baffled myself. All I can think of is maybe they're super sensitive to operating costs and running the plant with fewer people works for them. I can attest that year over year I feel like the food and bev has steadily declined.

They're stuck with Premiere Foods cuz they're on State owned land. Del Mar used to be a attendance driven drunk fest but I think a lot of regulars like it with less people and less drinking/puking.

dilanesp
09-12-2022, 01:46 PM
They're stuck with Premiere Foods cuz they're on State owned land. Del Mar used to be a attendance driven drunk fest but I think a lot of regulars like it with less people and less drinking/puking.

Well, the drunks will always have the Running of the Outhouses in the Preakness infield to look forward to every year!

Tom
09-12-2022, 04:29 PM

The TVG guys do. Simon commented he liked getting out of the parking lot in 5 minutes and Todd was tickled pink he could hit the Men's room and make it back to the set in commercial time. :lol:

But as a player, I could not care less about handle or attendence.
I'm not playing on track, so I have my own bathroom and don't need to drive home.

GMB@BP
09-12-2022, 06:21 PM

it was putrid to say the least, and very expensive. I can deal with expensive but not if its crap.

westernmassbob
09-12-2022, 10:02 PM

I agree and it’s like how Saratoga manipulated the daily attendance figures ….they don’t need to but they did. The fact of the matter is both tracks were highly successful even though Toga did not have zero fatalities that number came in at 10.

BarchCapper
09-12-2022, 11:47 PM
I agree and it’s like how Saratoga manipulated the daily attendance figures ….they don’t need to but they did. The fact of the matter is both tracks were highly successful even though Toga did not have zero fatalities that number came in at 10.

In the interest of an apples to apples comparison based on the report at Del Mar being zero deaths from starters (racing deaths vs. training deaths): NYS Gaming Commission database lists Saratoga Equine Deaths-Racing with 3. Del Mar still better racing wise, but they had at least 3 training deaths. Also Del Mar is a 31-day season, NYRA Saratoga 40.

classhandicapper
09-13-2022, 08:52 AM

I’m in such a non pandemic mode when it comes to outdoor racing I completely forgot that in CA some people are probably still reluctant to be active even outdoors. Now that I think about it, in CA some people are probably still wearing masks while home alone and diving alone.

Andy Asaro
09-13-2022, 09:50 AM
I’m in such a non pandemic mode when it comes to outdoor racing I completely forgot that in CA some people are probably still reluctant to be active even outdoors. Now that I think about it, in CA some people are probably still wearing masks while home alone and diving alone.

Since everything went online for seats the people who want to go need to plan instead of going spontaneously. I won't go unless I have great seats.

Redboard
09-13-2022, 10:36 AM
I only played Saratoga this year, and the last 10 years or so. The storyline has always been that while Del Mar is a nicer track to visit, Saratoga always has the best wagering. Field size can be deceiving, and not always indicative of the quality of the betting.

ScottJ
09-13-2022, 11:03 AM
I've always thought the same and have been a bit baffled myself. All I can think of is maybe they're super sensitive to operating costs and running the plant with fewer people works for them. I can attest that year over year I feel like the food and bev has steadily declined.Despite being an East Coast Saratoga summer on-track player, I was on the West Coast in the San Diego area during early August. On Sunday, August 7th, I was at the Del Mar races - the adventure was documented in a trip report on this board. There were several observations that are worth making outside of the trip report.

First, the concessions are far below the quality and range that you would find at Saratoga. Now, my Sunday crowd was less than 10,000 people which might be driving a vicious cycle : less selection -> less people -> less selection -> less people and so forth. As the Southern California racing place to be, this was somewhat surprising and very different from my midweek recollections dating back 20 years when last in attendance.

Second, the in-person wagering crowd at Del Mar was much less savvy than the average summer client at Saratoga. Wagering windows were slower than any racetrack I have seen; in some ways, the variable wagering amounts (20 cent options, 50 cent options, $1 options and so forth) had me wishing for the old days with windows pegged for specific tickets at specific values. My guess is that the live handle could have seen impacts of 5% with the number of gamblers shut out at the off. In parallel, the tellers were slow in turning over transactions. At one point, I started using my NYRA Bets account to avoid the lines and aggravation.

Third, there is little attempt to teach hadicapping as the Racing Form is a separate purchase from a pocket program which includes dozens of tracks that the live audience will never watch. Del Mar needs to focus on their own product and stop with the overload of small track wagering options.

Fourth, try to find a "help me" booth anywhere at Del Mar. How do I get seats, how do I buy a box, how do I make a bet?

In closing, was I glad that I attended in person? Absolutely. However it is not nearly the same experience of Saratoga - in fact, the two are simply not comparable.

dilanesp
09-13-2022, 01:37 PM

70,000 people were packed into SoFi Sunday for the Raiders-Chargers. I wouldn't overstate this issue.

horsefan2019
09-13-2022, 03:42 PM
From what I heard Del Mar isn't pushing attendance because they want the fans that show up to have a great experience. If you pack as many people in and they don't come back you lose a customer for life. So they will take less fans coming into the place but have them keep coming back as repeat customers.

cj
09-13-2022, 04:11 PM
70,000 people were packed into SoFi Sunday for the Raiders-Chargers. I wouldn't overstate this issue.

Yeah but that was mostly Raiders fans. They are a different breed. ;)

Cuffdaddy
09-13-2022, 04:40 PM

Comparing the heart of Los Angeles for the NFL and San Diego for horse racing is not a good comparison.

dilanesp
09-13-2022, 05:29 PM
Comparing the heart of Los Angeles for the NFL and San Diego for horse racing is not a good comparison.

The Padres have had a bunch of sellouts this year.

GMB@BP
09-13-2022, 08:39 PM
From what I heard Del Mar isn't pushing attendance because they want the fans that show up to have a great experience. If you pack as many people in and they don't come back you lose a customer for life. So they will take less fans coming into the place but have them keep coming back as repeat customers.

there was also no distinction between the clubhouse and the GA section this year.

Cuffdaddy
09-13-2022, 11:28 PM
The Padres have had a bunch of sellouts this year.

The MLB, another sport with a huge following compared to Horse Racing.

dilanesp
09-14-2022, 12:59 AM
The MLB, another sport with a huge following compared to Horse Racing.

There was a time not all that long ago when Del Mar's average attendance exceeded the Padres, especially if you didn't count the no-shows (this is deep in the weeds but MLB used to announce actual attendance but now announces tickets sold).

Del Mar, in other words, HAD a huge following. It has lost it. These attendance numbers are bad news for the sport in California.

classhandicapper
09-14-2022, 09:29 AM
Del Mar, in other words, HAD a huge following. It has lost it. These attendance numbers are bad news for the sport in California.

I love CA racing when it's being done right. I thought DMR had a terrific meet. Part of me hopes the sport recovers fully there and does very well. But the more analytical part of me thinks the politics are too hostile for that to happen. The long term prognosis is not good.

Cuffdaddy
09-14-2022, 10:15 AM
There was a time not all that long ago when Del Mar's average attendance exceeded the Padres, especially if you didn't count the no-shows (this is deep in the weeds but MLB used to announce actual attendance but now announces tickets sold).

Prior to ADW's they certainly did, it was much different times. I agree that horse racing had done very little to change their mindset to draw more crowds. The concert series at Del Mar was a good draw.

The Padres moved to downtown and have lots of draw for all fans with many resteraunts, bars, and entertainment within walking distance of the stadium.

Just feel it is a bad comparison to use attendance numbers from the NFL and MLB to prove that racing is dead in California.

dilanesp
09-14-2022, 10:19 AM
Prior to ADW's they certainly did, it was much different times.

Del Mar's attendance is way down even from numbers it put up in the internet wagering era.

Cuffdaddy
09-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Del Mar's attendance is way down even from numbers it put up in the internet wagering era.

Just not buying you pointing to attendance to make a point that California racing is dead or close to death. You used the NFL and MLB numbers to bolster your point, why not include World Cup Soccer attendance numbers as well.

Wagering dollars are huge, attendance will not be the reason or barometer for the demise of racing in So Cal.

dilanesp
09-14-2022, 12:07 PM
Just not buying you pointing to attendance to make a point that California racing is dead or close to death. You used the NFL and MLB numbers to bolster your point, why not include World Cup Soccer attendance numbers as well.

Wagering dollars are huge, attendance will not be the reason or barometer for the demise of racing in So Cal.

Del Mar is specifically an attendance driven track. Why race at Del Mar rather than, say, holding the races in a low population, low rent area? The answer is because Del Mar is a facility designed to draw live attendance. It's a vacation track, like Oaklawn, Monmouth, or especially Saratoga (the track that it gets compared to most).

And drawing live attendance to facilities like Del Mar is important because these tend to be new fans. Del Mar crowds always were skewed towards the young. Lots of young women having a good time drinking margaritas and wearing summer dresses.

If Del Mar is unable to draw live attendance anymore, that is extremely bad for the future of California racing because it means that we are unable to attract people to come to the races anymore, even at what may be the most beautiful racetrack in America.

Cuffdaddy
09-14-2022, 12:38 PM
If Del Mar is unable to draw live attendance anymore, that is extremely bad for the future of California racing because it means that we are unable to attract people to come to the races anymore, even at what may be the most beautiful racetrack in America.[/QUOTE]

They stopped the big concert draw coming off Covid restrictions. That is a huge factor when you are looking at the last 3 seasons, those events draw the young crowds and it spilled over to regular days. Marketing is a gigantic factor and there is way more to do here during those summer months of perfect beach weather.

Been attending the So Cal circuit since the late 70's. Short term attendance numbers are not telling any story.

AndyC
09-14-2022, 12:41 PM
Del Mar is specifically an attendance driven track. Why race at Del Mar rather than, say, holding the races in a low population, low rent area? The answer is because Del Mar is a facility designed to draw live attendance. It's a vacation track, like Oaklawn, Monmouth, or especially Saratoga (the track that it gets compared to most).

And drawing live attendance to facilities like Del Mar is important because these tend to be new fans. Del Mar crowds always were skewed towards the young. Lots of young women having a good time drinking margaritas and wearing summer dresses.

If Del Mar is unable to draw live attendance anymore, that is extremely bad for the future of California racing because it means that we are unable to attract people to come to the races anymore, even at what may be the most beautiful racetrack in America.

Agreed. It's an inconvenient truth about CA racing.

Andy Asaro
09-14-2022, 01:56 PM
Agreed. It's an inconvenient truth about CA racing.

It's not that they're unable to get bodies there. They don't want to spend the marketing money to do it. Like I said previously they are content with 10k or so on weekends

Al Gobbi
09-14-2022, 04:36 PM
I love CA racing when it's being done right. I thought DMR had a terrific meet. Part of me hopes the sport recovers fully there and does very well. But the more analytical part of me thinks the politics are too hostile for that to happen. The long term prognosis is not good.

I am not sure California racing can survive lone term unless some drastic changes occur, even for the satisfaction of political/animal rights groups.

The product in Northern California (including the fairs) is abysmal now, Los Al racing stinks and Santa Anita races for too long now.

GMB@BP
09-14-2022, 10:38 PM

some people just want to see only the negative, that was a great meet. Been a long time since the fields were that good.

westernmassbob
09-15-2022, 04:34 AM
some people just want to see only the negative, that was a great meet. Been a long time since the fields were that good.

Yup seems like everything is judged by the negative these days. The meet was solid. BTW sandwiches were cheaper at Del Mar then Saratoga this year.

$w1fT
09-15-2022, 08:10 AM
Yup seems like everything is judged by the negative these days. The meet was solid. BTW sandwiches were cheaper at Del Mar then Saratoga this year.

I gotta give it to you. You’re pretty good.

classhandicapper
09-15-2022, 08:13 AM

I'm used to negative people. I also post on a NY Knicks forum. :lol:

Sheffwed
09-15-2022, 11:50 AM
Baffert makes California tracks unbettable

Del Mar is a wonderful place, and deserves better, hence it's great they had an excellent meet regardless

But California racing, stewards, etc. needs a major overhaul in general

AndyC
09-15-2022, 02:22 PM
It's not that they're unable to get bodies there. They don't want to spend the marketing money to do it. Like I said previously they are content with 10k or so on weekends

They shouldn't have to spend marketing money to do it. It used to be the place to be. It is not too high on the list anymore.

Dilanesp, a few years back, pointed out that DM was making money from their live audience. The DM financials backed him up. It would seem foolish not to increase revenues and profits by increasing attendance.

Andy Asaro
09-15-2022, 02:33 PM
They shouldn't have to spend marketing money to do it. It used to be the place to be. It is not too high on the list anymore.

Dilanesp, a few years back, pointed out that DM was making money from their live audience. The DM financials backed him up. It would seem foolish not to increase revenues and profits by increasing attendance.

They spent tons on marketing to get the people there with TV ads running constantly. They stopped doing that in 2019. Craig Dado retired after last years meet partly because they weren't gonna put the money into marketing like they had in the past.

Cuffdaddy
09-15-2022, 03:47 PM
They spent tons on marketing to get the people there with TV ads running constantly. They stopped doing that in 2019. Craig Dado retired after last years meet partly because they weren't gonna put the money into marketing like they had in the past.

This exactly, it is why I pointed out in a prior post about residing locally and I would be a recipient of all the marketing.

Al Gobbi
09-15-2022, 04:47 PM
Del Mar overpaid purses despite the increase in wagering this summer

https://www.drf.com/news/california-horse-racing-board-sets-2023-racing-dates-southern-california

Andy Asaro
09-15-2022, 05:58 PM
Del Mar overpaid purses despite the increase in wagering this summer

https://www.drf.com/news/california-horse-racing-board-sets-2023-racing-dates-southern-california

Handle up but revenue down?

This is why going by handle doesn't work anymore. If a big chunk of the handle was from highly rebated players then this is what happens

https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/1570531808806318080

AndyC
09-15-2022, 06:23 PM

Is there a point in having a racetrack with dwindling attendance at probably the greatest location anywhere? If just they want to have studio racing maybe they ought to build a track in Ramona.

Andy Asaro
09-15-2022, 06:26 PM
Is there a point in having a racetrack with dwindling attendance at probably the greatest location anywhere? If just they want to have studio racing maybe they ought to build a track in Ramona.

What they're doing doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Cuffdaddy
09-15-2022, 06:51 PM

In Ramona attendance would be virually zero. Attendance was up from 2021, we had more than 2 years of most severe Covid lockdowns and PETA eyes prior to that. It all combined to kill the joy of the fickle CA crowd with way more choices of outdoor activities versus anywhere else in the US.

Yes, CA racing is struggling but just looking at Del Mar attendance numbers and blaming Trevor Denman is short sighted.

AndyC
09-15-2022, 07:37 PM
In Ramona attendance would be virually zero. Attendance was up from 2021, we had more than 2 years of most severe Covid lockdowns and PETA eyes prior to that. It all combined to kill the joy of the fickle CA crowd with way more choices of outdoor activities versus anywhere else in the US.

Yes, CA racing is struggling but just looking at Del Mar attendance numbers and blaming Trevor Denman is short sighted.

So basically just a slight drop in attendance in Ramona but a huge savings in overhead. Obviously I'm joking, but what's the point of having a big fancy grandstand in a prime location when you don't utilize it?

Lately I have heard nobody use Covid as an excuse not to go somewhere. I agree that people in CA are choosing other activities. If you have to beg or bribe someone to come see your product there really isn't too much demand for it.

Cuffdaddy
09-15-2022, 07:51 PM
So basically just a slight drop in attendance in Ramona but a huge savings in overhead. Obviously I'm joking, but what's the point of having a big fancy grandstand in a prime location when you don't utilize it?

Lately I have heard nobody use Covid as an excuse not to go somewhere. I agree that people in CA are choosing other activities. If you have to beg or bribe someone to come see your product there really isn't too much demand for it.

I realize you were joking about Ramona, would you suggest they tear down the grandstand over attendance the last few seasons with Covid lockdowns. I should of been more clear, I was not referring to the public when I mentioned Covid but rather the thinking from a marketing standpoint when Covid protocol can change overnight.

Marketing is not begging, when a pro team has a bobblehead night or a big promotion the attendance numbers skyrocket.

You are right that Del Mar is in a beautiful location, cannot get much better but I think focusing on attendance as a reason for more despair about the state of CA racing is misguided. CA racing would be in the same place even if attendance jumped due to savy marketing.

molson721
09-15-2022, 08:55 PM

Can I interest you in a bridge in San Francisco I own? I will sell it to you very cheap .:confused::lol:

westernmassbob
09-15-2022, 08:56 PM
What they're doing doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

It behoves a track to grab as much attendance and on track wagering as possible. They get the full take out percentage and no sharing. Ironically not many people understand this. When dog racing and jai alai lost attendance through the years their profit eroded quickly. They never had the stretch of simulcasting and online betting like the horses. Not really a countrywide popularity either. I think relying on off track wagering is a deadly game and it has shut down several tracks. The main revenue stream should always be on track…it may not bring in as much money but it should be the first priority.

ronsmac
09-15-2022, 09:05 PM
The Santa Anita winter-spring meet was dreadful and had a reported handle increase of 2%. The Del Mar summer meet was one of the best California has seen in years and only had a reported handle increase of just over 1%. That seems like a terrible sign.

Andy Asaro
09-16-2022, 07:06 AM
Later in his executive director's report, Chaney remarked that betting handle in the state was down 7% during the month of August. This came despite an increase in field size during a successful Del Mar summer racing season in which no horses died during racing over the nine-week meet.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/263220/chrb-mandates-ctt-tracks-reach-agreement-by-october via @BloodHorse

GMB@BP
09-16-2022, 08:57 AM
Later in his executive director's report, Chaney remarked that betting handle in the state was down 7% during the month of August. This came despite an increase in field size during a successful Del Mar summer racing season in which no horses died during racing over the nine-week meet.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/263220/chrb-mandates-ctt-tracks-reach-agreement-by-october via @BloodHorse

yet people question why TVG would get rebranded as a Racebook betting channel.

Sheffwed
09-16-2022, 09:25 AM
At the same time, record wagering increases at tracks like Colonial Downs, Saratoga, Kentucky Downs

The opportunity is there if the environment is appealing as per the above and most of all, when the wagering opportunity is sensible enough if not very appealing

I have all the time in the world for interesting turf racing with large fields

California racing however is the opposite of appealing - given the stewards history but most of all it is clear that the trainers are few and suspected by most to be very problemental, and of course it is also apparent that they and their owners are deeply enmeshed in the system as well

So I'll watch Del Mar, maybe, and when I see a horse at a price that looks good in the paddock, I'll consider a wager

Santa Anita? Pass completely

California racing's future?

horsefan2019
09-16-2022, 12:56 PM
yet people question why TVG would get rebranded as a Racebook betting channel.

If you look at the promo of them promoting the channel renaming to Fanduel there is a montage of race tracks closing, Hollywood Park, Arlington Park, Bay Meadows, Calder Racecourse......its not a surprise they are searching for a life raft in case the industry keeps contracting.

Andy Asaro
09-16-2022, 01:15 PM
At the same time, record wagering increases at tracks like Colonial Downs, Saratoga, Kentucky Downs

The opportunity is there if the environment is appealing as per the above and most of all, when the wagering opportunity is sensible enough if not very appealing

I have all the time in the world for interesting turf racing with large fields

California racing however is the opposite of appealing - given the stewards history but most of all it is clear that the trainers are few and suspected by most to be very problemental, and of course it is also apparent that they and their owners are deeply enmeshed in the system as well

So I'll watch Del Mar, maybe, and when I see a horse at a price that looks good in the paddock, I'll consider a wager

Santa Anita? Pass completely

California racing's future?

Del Mar had bigger field size than ever. Whether or not they stay is another story