PDA

View Full Version : Media players for computers

trying2win
01-10-2005, 06:42 PM
I was just curious...

1. What's everyone's favorite media player(s) and version number (if that info is available)?

2. I'm assuming most media players are free, so where can you download your favorite media player(s) from?

3. What do you like about each media player? (Things like... plays mp3 files, video files, radio stations etc...or has superb audio and/or video quality etc).

4. Have you ever tried some media players in the past that you didn't like. Why? Were they too intrusive about the information they gathered...or you weren't happy with the functionality of the player...or it took up too much disk space etc.

5. How many different media players will show live horse racing videos?

Thanks,

T2W

trying2win
01-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, I'm basically using three media players these days:

1. Windows Media Player v 10 (downloaded from www.microsoft.com/downloads )

--- COMMENTS: I don't really like using the Windows Media Player v 10, because it's too intrusive.
--- When you're copying songs from one of your CD's to your computer for instance, things will pop-up on your computer screen reminding you about copyrighted material...blah..blah...blah.
--- Or something will pop-up on your screen saying something like "We noticed you're using v 9 of WMP...please switch to v 10 of WMP, because it has more added features etc."
--- The main reason I have WMP on my computer, is because a lot of horse racing videos require it.

2. Real Media Player Alternative v 1.29 (downloaded from www.majorgeeks.com)

--- COMMENTS: I prefer using this product, because it appears to be less intrusive than the Real Media Player.
--- This alternative is only about half the size of the regular Real Player. It saves disk space on your hard drive.
--- Several file types I use, only work on the Real Media Player. If that's the case, these file types should work just fine on this alternative.

3. Quintessential Media Player v 4.51 (downloaded from www.quinnware.com )

--- COMMENTS: I like using this player for things like mp3 music files, or old time radio shows etc.
--- It doesn't appear to be snoopy like the Windows Media Player seems to be.
--- I like the sound it produces when playing music on my computer.

I know there are lots of other media players out there. I've had a few problems with ones like Win Amp, for example, so I removed it from my computer.

T2W

JustRalph
01-11-2005, 12:56 AM
the stuff you don't like about media 10 can me turned off.

trying2win
01-11-2005, 01:12 AM
the stuff you don't like about media 10 can me turned off.

Ralph,

That's good. What things in WMP v 10 can be turned off? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks,

T2W

Drew
12-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Ralph,

How do shut off those things.

You can PM me or reply if you can help...

Thanks,

Drew

JustRalph
12-03-2005, 08:14 PM
open media player. go to the tools menu, options..........privacy....which is probably what you are looking for. You can set several options from the "options" menu

michiken
12-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Got to chime in for open source here:

Totem
Xine
Kaffeine
XMMS
mplayer
Video Lan Client (VLC)

Google them.