PDA

View Full Version : Last week of Saratoga....is anyone getting depressed ?

westernmassbob
08-30-2022, 07:23 PM
I know there is so much to do and see around Saratoga but it always gets depressing when track season comes to a close. I feel like Saratoga Springs life revolves around the track. Without it there would be no life in that city. Which leads me to this question , how come the season is so short ? I feel as though the last week of June going into Labor Day seems more fitting. Anyway I should be making a final visit this week. Hope to see some of you all at the track.

lamboguy
08-30-2022, 10:52 PM
how can anyone be depressed? we have Belmont at Aqueduct to look forward to!

Tom
08-31-2022, 09:05 AM
Yes, Welcome BAQ~! :rolleyes:

BarchCapper
08-31-2022, 09:25 AM
Yes, Welcome BAQ~! :rolleyes:

Too bad trainer Mary Cotter is retired. :D

ScottJ
08-31-2022, 10:05 AM
I know there is so much to do and see around Saratoga but it always gets depressing when track season comes to a close. I feel like Saratoga Springs life revolves around the track. Without it there would be no life in that city. Which leads me to this question , how come the season is so short ? I feel as though the last week of June going into Labor Day seems more fitting. Anyway I should be making a final visit this week. Hope to see some of you all at the track.To me, the end of the Saratoga Summer is synonymous with Labor Day : that last day, that last race, that last stretch drive, that last flash of the toteboard, that lump in your throat as you pass along Union Avenue knowing school is back, but the playground is closed. Always leaves me melancholy wondering what happened since screaming "They're off at Saratoga!" either in-person or at my television set.

But to be special, it has to have an end - a very definitive end. Here's the date, here's the time - after that, you wait until next year.

Let me give you something uplifting about the season's ending. If you have read The Saratoga Special, you know that the last article of each edition goes to Sean Clancy and his "Cup of Coffee" column. If you go back over the many years of those columns, every one captures the heart and soul of these eight weeks. Sometimes, as with this year, so much more.

However, my personal favorite comes from the closing edition of the 2018 paper. Sean wrote, "So over the next 10 1/2 months (please don’t open July 4), sure, the days will feel so long, but remember, the years will feel so short. See you in a lot of long days and a very short year."

Enjoy the final six days of 2022 and see you in a very short year!

westernmassbob
08-31-2022, 10:34 AM
To me, the end of the Saratoga Summer is synonymous with Labor Day : that last day, that last race, that last stretch drive, that last flash of the toteboard, that lump in your throat as you pass along Union Avenue knowing school is back, but the playground is closed. Always leaves me melancholy wondering what happened since screaming "They're off at Saratoga!" either in-person or at my television set.

But to be special, it has to have an end - a very definitive end. Here's the date, here's the time - after that, you wait until next year.

Let me give you something uplifting about the season's ending. If you have read The Saratoga Special, you know that the last article of each edition goes to Sean Clancy and his "Cup of Coffee" column. If you go back over the many years of those columns, every one captures the heart and soul of these eight weeks. Sometimes, as with this year, so much more.

However, my personal favorite comes from the closing edition of the 2018 paper. Sean wrote, "So over the next 10 1/2 months (please don’t open July 4), sure, the days will feel so long, but remember, the years will feel so short. See you in a lot of long days and a very short year."

I like this very much. Thanks for the response. I agree very much when you say for something to be special it must have an end. Labor Day is the absolute best ending day for a myriad of reasons. It’s the start date that could be a bit earlier. Heck July 4th week would probably be huge for the racetrack. Independence Day to Labor Day at one of the greatest tracks and places in the country...now that makes sense.

jj.
08-31-2022, 03:10 PM
I love Saratoga also. Never been there but hear it's beautiful. One of these years I will get there. Travers Day was fantastic! I believe Saratoga is one of the oldest racetracks in the United States.

Brass Hat
08-31-2022, 05:36 PM
Listening to Byk Friday morning talking about how much he enjoys watching the replays of prior Travers shown on the track the morning of the Travers. Well, they did for years; this year they decided to play moldy oldies instead. Nice tradition down the drain to cater to non-racing fans who attend Travers day.

Sparse paddock analysis; a few races it sounded like Michelle Yu, spending time talking about horses's records, stuff you can find in the PP's, rather than physicality.

Were regaled by the Siena band on the screen though.

Not to mention the foolish jockey intros, feeding the belief into a lot of fans who don't follow racing closely that the jockeys are more important than the horses.

Did fix the problem of people leaving while horses are entering the track. Yelled at Ginny Reid to get off the horse path.

I understand the NYRA trying to cater to once a year fans, but some people there are more interested in information.

westernmassbob
08-31-2022, 07:59 PM
Listening to Byk Friday morning talking about how much he enjoys watching the replays of prior Travers shown on the track the morning of the Travers. Well, they did for years; this year they decided to play moldy oldies instead. Nice tradition down the drain to cater to non-racing fans who attend Travers day.

Sparse paddock analysis; a few races it sounded like Michelle Yu, spending time talking about horses's records, stuff you can find in the PP's, rather than physicality.

Were regaled by the Siena band on the screen though.

Not to mention the foolish jockey intros, feeding the belief into a lot of fans who don't follow racing closely that the jockeys are more important than the horses.

Did fix the problem of people leaving while horses are entering the track. Yelled at Ginny Reid to get off the horse path.

I understand the NYRA trying to cater to once a year fans, but some people there are more interested in information.

The live camera feed with the jockeys popping through like they were at the Super Bowl was the silliest thing I’ve ever seen NYRA do. The feed BTW was horrible constantly freezing etc. IDK about anyone else but it’s not a good first impression to charge $32.00 for a sandwich and soda obviously preying on the first time vacationers. Personally the gate fee I find quite reasonable in comparison to any other live event. Heck I’ve seen people pay 125 for a football game ticket and pay another 50 to park. I just wish NYRA would come up with a different plan in regards to concession costs.

cj
08-31-2022, 08:38 PM
The live camera feed with the jockeys popping through like they were at the Super Bowl was the silliest thing I’ve ever seen NYRA do. The feed BTW was horrible constantly freezing etc. IDK about anyone else but it’s not a good first impression to charge $32.00 for a sandwich and soda obviously preying on the first time vacationers. Personally the gate fee I find quite reasonable in comparison to any other live event. Heck I’ve seen people pay 125 for a football game ticket and pay another 50 to park. I just wish NYRA would come up with a different plan in regards to concession costs.

Did you know you can bring your own food and drink?

westernmassbob
08-31-2022, 08:48 PM
Did you know you can bring your own food and drink?

I’m surprised they don’t charge for that rust flavored spring water they have...at least that is free.

jahura2
08-31-2022, 10:56 PM
Last week of Saratoga....is anyone getting depressed ?

Unpopular opinion alert! Depressed? Good Grief I enjoy Saratoga as much as any bettor, I even had the chance to see the Travers in person the year Catholic Boy won, but come on its still just another betting opportunity in a landscape full of them. Sure I dont live there so I dont understand the historical allure, the city and area is beautiful but its still just another race meet.
Instead of getting depressed take a look at the full cards and juicy odds at Ky Downs starting tomorrow. Saturdays card has 2 500K races and 1 million dollar race all with full fields. After they close is BAQ, CD, Keeneland and Breeders Cup. No reason to be depressed..
Dont get me wrong I love betting Saratoga but the meet closing is not a reason to hang your head.

$w1fT
09-01-2022, 06:46 AM
I’m surprised they don’t charge for that rust flavored spring water they have...at least that is free.

You didn’t answer his question. Why complain about food and drink prices if there is a much better option available?

pandy
09-01-2022, 07:12 AM
It was a great meet this year in several ways. The usual muggy day downpours didn't happen, so very few races were off the turf. The turf racing was superb. There were a lot of overlays and usable longshot winners that weren't impossible to find. I had a great meeting, although I wish I could have been there, we had too many other things planned this year. Flavien Prat is about as good as it gets on turf.

westernmassbob
09-01-2022, 09:21 AM
You didn’t answer his question. Why complain about food and drink prices if there is a much better option available?

Of course I know you can bring food in...that wasn’t my point. There are a lot of first timers, vacationers that don’t have all the first hand knowledge of a regular. “ Hey honey looks like a pretty cool racetrack let’s go and check it out , oh wait let’s stop at the supermarket and buy a refrigerator of food before we go. Don’t worry I will lug it around all day as we enjoy the races”. Saratoga isn’t the first venue to be opportunistic when it comes to over pricing for concession food. I just wish one of these places would take a stand on it.

castaway01
09-01-2022, 10:03 AM
Of course I know you can bring food in...that wasn’t my point. There are a lot of first timers, vacationers that don’t have all the first hand knowledge of a regular. “ Hey honey looks like a pretty cool racetrack let’s go and check it out , oh wait let’s stop at the supermarket and buy a refrigerator of food before we go. Don’t worry I will lug it around all day as we enjoy the races”. Saratoga isn’t the first venue to be opportunistic when it comes to over pricing for concession food. I just wish one of these places would take a stand on it.

I guess you haven't attended a concert or sporting event anywhere in the country in the past two decades. Welcome to reality. To act like it's just Saratoga when it's literally any popular venue is par for your course, I realize.

It's pretty simple---if people are willing to pay the concession prices, the prices are not going to go down. "Take a stand" against what---making money?

elhelmete
09-01-2022, 10:06 AM
I guess you haven't attended a concert or sporting event anywhere in the country in the past two decades. Welcome to reality. To act like it's just Saratoga when it's literally any popular venue is par for your course, I realize.

Exactly, like it or not.

Maybe AA Baseball in East Blah Blah has the $3 beers. Enjoy.

alhattab
09-01-2022, 01:29 PM

Scott- Clancy wrote his usual “I will miss/won’t miss” column a little earlier this year. He had a barn fire on his property and had to return home for a few weeks before making it back for the Travers. In the 8/27 edition he limited to everything he missed during his absence.

GMB@BP
09-01-2022, 02:06 PM
are any of the horses who ran at saratoga running back before the breeders cup? Seemed like a trend the past few years. if not, that is the depressing part.

Tom
09-01-2022, 02:08 PM
Woodward Oct 1 ? That's usually a big stakes day preview for BC.

PalaceOfFortLarned
09-01-2022, 02:14 PM
Woodward Oct 1 ? That's usually a big stakes day preview for BC.

Life Is Good is supposed to be running in the Woodward.

I can only assume others he ran against in the Whitney like Happy Saver would take another swing at him?

https://www.horseracingnation.com/race/2022_Woodward#

JustRalph
09-01-2022, 03:35 PM
I just read that Doc Severinsen

Played his last show in Saratoga Springs last night. Now retired

95 yrs old.

Salute!

ScottJ
09-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Scott- Clancy wrote his usual “I will miss/won’t miss” column a little earlier this year. He had a barn fire on his property and had to return home for a few weeks before making it back for the Travers. In the 8/27 edition he limited to everything he missed during his absence.Agreed - been following the story, issue-by-issue. Had exchanged e-mails with Sean just days after his opening column for 2022, hardly knowing what was to come this summer season.

rastajenk
09-01-2022, 04:02 PM
95 yrs old.Salute!Holy cow. How many generations have come and aged since he was an everyday known name?

Boomer
09-01-2022, 04:06 PM

95 yrs old.

Salute!

Commander Cody played Siros after race party for many years. Likely the same age. I think they banned him after one highly intoxicated performance.

rastajenk
09-01-2022, 04:11 PM
And His Lost Planet Airmen??? :)

:ThmbUp:

Boomer
09-01-2022, 04:15 PM
And His Lost Planet Airmen??? :)

Yep....No better show for the after races party!

Tom
09-01-2022, 05:19 PM
Another short field, 7 horses entered, 3 scratches.
Too many races and race days.
I know, I'm in the minoriy, but they still can't fill races.

Michael
09-01-2022, 06:02 PM
Depressed? No way Jose...we got Kentucky Downs - > Aqu / Keeneland -> Breeders Cup - > Aqu November Turf racing. Kimosabe, your head is in the past and not into the future

the little guy
09-01-2022, 11:35 PM
are any of the horses who ran at saratoga running back before the breeders cup? Seemed like a trend the past few years. if not, that is the depressing part.

99% of them are.

I know you stopped following racing Greg, but most horseplayers realize there is racing far beyond the handful of horses pointing to the BC.

the little guy
09-01-2022, 11:37 PM

One race out of 11.

We handled over $15 million today. Somehow, we overcame this tragedy.

The glass actually isn't 90% empty, Tom....it's 90% full.

westernmassbob
09-02-2022, 07:40 AM

IDK. Less entries means less money bet and less of a take. Does anyone believe NYRA does this intentionally? Of course they don’t and kudos to NYRA for providing great field sizes this meet. They have far exceeded my expectations. Of course the great weather has played a key role in keeping scratches to a minimum. I wonder if this is a record year in regards to less off the turf races and scratches ? It seems to be a record year for everything else.

ScottJ
09-02-2022, 08:56 AM
One race out of 11.

The glass actually isn't 90% empty, Tom....it's 90% full.Two true stories from this Saratoga meet to amuse the crowd.

First, on August 26th, we had the three-horse West Point Stakes where I had both Bank It and Jerry the Nipper. Somelikeithotbrown ran over my late Pick-5 ticket ($641.75).

As with every horse player, small fields are "easy" targets, right?

Well, Invaluable (followed by Melting Snow) both ran over my late Pick-4 ($279.00) as I had both Short Summer Dress (perhaps one of the worst runs this meet) and Rossa Veloce.

Would I want a diet of these small fields? Absolutely not. Even in these situations the racing has been competitive and still provides enough headscratching to keep me humble.

As we head into Day 37 today, the running handle tally now stands at ~$776M.

the little guy
09-02-2022, 10:00 AM
As we head into Day 37 today, the running handle tally now stands at ~$776M.

$778

Robert Fischer
09-02-2022, 12:45 PM
no been tripping all the maidens for the future

JustRalph
09-02-2022, 02:03 PM
$778

Does that equate to about 200 million for the track/NYRA?

Just wondering if my math is right?

GMB@BP
09-02-2022, 02:15 PM
99% of them are.

I know you stopped following racing Greg, but most horseplayers realize there is racing far beyond the handful of horses pointing to the BC.

yea the day to day horses dont really catch my attention, should have clarified.

the little guy
09-02-2022, 04:45 PM

On track? I think it's around 18% of total handle.

pandy
09-03-2022, 07:45 AM
One race out of 11.

The glass actually isn't 90% empty, Tom....it's 90% full.

I thought the meeting was fantastic, the best racing and the best meet of the year by far. And, by the way, great job on the NYRA live show.

westernmassbob
09-03-2022, 09:13 AM
I thought the meeting was fantastic, the best racing and the best meet of the year by far. And, by the way, great job on the NYRA live show.

I agree. Unfortunately there were a few blips along the way. There was the race that was declared a “ no contest “ back in July. Also the late surface switch on a race and changing it to an “all” leg for pick five 30 minutes after race was run.

Then some even uglier distractions. Two grooms arrested for cocaine possession on track and of course the Chad Brown scandal. Of course that court hearing was moved until after the meet...no surprise there.

All and all a great meeting though.

lamboguy
09-03-2022, 09:32 AM

after the admissions, concessions, and handle, Saratoga Race Course will probably net out somewhere in the vicinity of $15 million after payroll, purses and other expenses. since NYRA operates the 3 thoroughbred tracks, some of the expenses are proportioned amongst the 3. meaning that it's very hard to figure the exact number for 1 track.

the thing about the track is that it brings tremendous economical benefit to the region and the rest of the state. in the case of Saratoga Race Course, it also is a good leader for other tracks throughout the country as well as their local base.

lamboguy
09-03-2022, 09:37 AM
i don't have numbers for this, but the straight pools without the CAW in them after 2 minutes to post look bigger than they have ever been to me. they have had some gigantic pools this year.

the little guy
09-03-2022, 09:50 AM

Thanks Pandy

JustRalph
09-06-2022, 07:54 PM
On track? I think it's around 18% of total handle.

JustRalph
09-06-2022, 08:02 PM
the thing about the track is that it brings tremendous economical benefit to the region and the rest of the state. in the case of Saratoga Race Course, it also is a good leader for other tracks throughout the country as well as their local base.

This I believe is more important than most people realize. Upstate New York is neglected in my opine by the State. My wife’s family still lives about an hour north of Saratoga and I have met some very fine hard working people in upstate New York. They carry on a tradition and lifestyle that goes all the way back to the founding of our country and even before.

Brass Hat
09-07-2022, 09:48 AM
We have sat in the same area of the track for 20 years now, have met great people "racetrack friends", some local, some who come from NJ, etc. a few weekends. Except for the bros, the people who follow racing are some of the best people we have met. I enjoy the racing, but talking to friends, security people, people you run into often there, is the best part of the Saratoga experience.

burnsy
09-11-2022, 06:34 PM
The older I get , the harder this hits me. Monday was probably the worst closing day to date. The weather was miserable, I mean , for a meet with practically perfect weather closing day was an absolute downer. This just about doubled the affect of melancholy. Summer is over! It really isn’t, I’ll golf for at least 6 or more weeks . Go camping and fishing next weekend and attend a few more SPAC concerts . But the ending of the meet signifies, “the end is near.” I’ll be rotating the shed , something I fucking dread. Lawn mower in back , snow blower In front in a couple months.

People talked about the people and friendships . Some of these people I won’t see again until opening day next year. At my age we are starting to lose some so it’s a blessing when we “meet again”. My group of “regulars” at the Paddock have a horse shoe nailed to a tree there. It’s for one of our departed friends. Opening day tradition is to go touch the tree when we first walk in ……… grateful for yet another year. All of this is much bigger and means much more than going to a race track . It’s a way of life . The give and take to live up here. Life moves on, it always does. But you’re damn sure , it’s a sad day indeed. Walk in there on Labor Day ….. one can almost feel It in the air.

The Arbiter
09-11-2022, 07:05 PM
Love Saratoga so much. I definitely get that sadness when it's over. Nothing like it.

westernmassbob
09-11-2022, 07:17 PM
The older I get , the harder this hits me. Monday was probably the worst closing day to date. The weather was miserable, I mean , for a meet with practically perfect weather closing day was an absolute downer. This just about doubled the affect of melancholy. Summer is over! It really isn’t, I’ll golf for at least 6 or more weeks . Go camping and fishing next weekend and attend a few more SPAC concerts . But the ending of the meet signifies, “the end is near.” I’ll be rotating the shed , something I fucking dread. Lawn mower in back , snow blower In front in a couple months.

People talked about the people and friendships . Some of these people I won’t see again until opening day next year. At my age we are starting to lose some so it’s a blessing when we “meet again”. My group of “regulars” at the Paddock have a horse shoe nailed to a tree there. It’s for one of our departed friends. Opening day tradition is to go touch the tree when we first walk in ……… grateful for yet another year. All of this is much bigger and means much more than going to a race track . It’s a way of life . The give and take to live up here. Life moves on, it always does. But you’re damn sure , it’s a sad day indeed. Walk in there on Labor Day ….. one can almost feel It in the air.

Thanks for this post Burnsy and sorry for the friend your group lost. I know a lot of horse players across the country and for those that have visited Saratoga they put it in its own category….all by itself.

BTW do you do much horse betting after Toga ? Visit any other tracks or mostly bet online etc ? I guess if you live close to that area you have Saratoga Harness otb but that place is like a morgue and depressing . Someone told me there use to be a place in Albany ? I will research that.

burnsy
09-11-2022, 08:00 PM
I continue to bet . But not every day like I do at Saratoga. I go to other tracks too. Mostly Gulfstream in the winter. The weather makes me want to get out of Dodge every February. I like Belmont too….. I wonder what they’re going to do to it? When I was a kid Saratoga was not going well . Now, it’s surpassed every other meet . The jockey colony , the Trainers and the quality of horses is crazy even though everyone is short on entrants.
Sometimes I walk around and eavesdrop on what people are saying. I overheard one guy during a perfect Summer Saratoga day , tip his beer and say, “ I think I died and went to heaven coming here today.”
The place in Albany is on 711 Central Avenue. Next to the Shop Rite. It’s a large OTB with a Sports Bar.
Clubhouse Race Book