PDA

View Full Version : Newsday: Mets reach Beltran deal

ceejay
01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
The Mets reached an agreement in principle this afternoon to sign star centerfielder Carlos Beltran for $119 million over seven years, making him their centerpiece player.

The Mets finalized the deal to obtain the five-tool free agent centerfielder this morning. Beltran is expected to take a physical examination on Monday with the actual signing to take place Tuesday. A press conference is also likely Tuesday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-beltran09,0,4218663.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Like the Pedro deal, I'll believe this when I see the press conference. I, for one, wouldn't spend $119 MM of my own money like this.

Secretariat
01-09-2005, 06:22 PM
No big surprise. Minjay worked under Bush when he owned the Texas Rangers. He's used to overspending.

cj
01-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Underlay, he's not worth this much...Shea is no Enron...

sq764
01-09-2005, 09:00 PM
I think this is a ton to pay for a guy who's had really one great half-season, nothing more.. This is more on potential than anything..

If it's anything like Mo Vaughn, then poor Beltran..

Pace Cap'n
01-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Those of us in the Kansas City area have known for several years what a great player Mr. Beltran is. He's the compelte package--hits for average, hits for power, outstanding in the field, speed to burn and a good arm. In addition, he loves the game and brings a great attitude to the clubhouse.

The Mets got a bargain. Now that he's in a major market with the attendant press coverage, he'll be heard from for years to come.

sq764
01-10-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't think it was a bargain by any means.. He has talent and potential, but let's face it, he's not a mega star worth this kind of money. He's hit 30 homeruns once in his career. Never had over 108 RBIs and he's hit .300 twice in 7 years.

Nice stats, but without the huge post season last year, he wouldn't be in such high demand.. He's a solid 25-30 homerun, 90-105 RBI guy who will hit .275-290-ish... But definitely not a team-changer IMO..

Valuist
01-10-2005, 11:56 AM
ESPN put up a graphic comparing Beltran's stats and age to Bobby Bonilla when he was signed as a free agent. They were almost identical. And we saw what happened to Bonilla. Even the Yankees said it was too much to pay.

bettheoverlay
01-10-2005, 03:33 PM
ESPN is reporting that Delgado may be on his way to the Mets as well. would make quite a lineup especially if Wright continues to develop and Reyes actually starts playing.

I don't really care what they pay these guys anymore. They're all overpaid.

sq764
01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
That's a ton of money to end up in 4th place again :-)

ceejay
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Even the Yankees said it was too much to pay.
But the Yanks would have had to pay and addiional $40MM in luxury tax acording to the Post. http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/37913.htm I have no idea about the Met's lux tax situation.

Valuist
01-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Speaking of the Yankees, it looks like the Big Unit is already running into trouble, err, a camera over there. Maybe they can change his nickname to the Big Tool.