PDA

View Full Version : Paul Allen @ Canterbury Park

westernmassbob
08-11-2022, 08:30 AM
This guy has a unique spirited call. He makes a lot of those races much more interesting then they probably are. Bravo. I would say in my top five of current race callers. I would love to hear him call at least once race at Saratoga.

wisconsin
08-11-2022, 09:10 AM
This guy has a unique spirited call. He makes a lot of those races much more interesting then they probably are. Bravo. I would say in my top five of current race callers. I would love to hear him call at least once race at Saratoga.

He is also the radio voice of the Minnesota Vikings. His banter during the race call is quite entertaining.

v j stauffer
08-11-2022, 11:10 AM
A self made man that has carved out an amazing niche for himself in the Twin Cities.

Glad to see his race calls are being well received.

PA = GOOD MAN!

tbwinner
08-11-2022, 12:11 PM
I am actually planning a day trip next Wednesday to CBY. I was there once for simulcasting but never saw a live card. I listened to his calls last night and was impressed, and a pretty full field card next Wednesday night !!

BarchCapper
08-11-2022, 12:43 PM
He is also the radio voice of the Minnesota Vikings. His banter during the race call is quite entertaining.

Radio voice of the Vikings and a 3 hour weekday morning program on sports radio provides a lot of opportunity for potential racing fans to "cross over" from other sports. I think that plays itself out nicely with the type of demographic Canterbury Park draws on a regular basis.

craigbraddick
08-11-2022, 05:27 PM
He is a very nice man as well as a fine race caller.

jameegray1
08-11-2022, 09:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXjjeFkVB-A&ab_channel=CanterburyPark

:pound::pound::pound:

westernmassbob
08-11-2022, 09:34 PM
I forgot to mention and if someone knows Paul can you please get this message back to him. I think there is a microphone with the technology built in to remove or reduce breathing noises. Just to be clear he is one of the best race callers I have heard but his mic picks up his breathing too much. Maybe Vic Stauffer knows what I’m talking about ?

cj
08-11-2022, 09:41 PM
I personally can't stand the schtick, but he seems to have a following so more power to him.

rgustafson
08-12-2022, 10:38 AM
I personally can't stand the schtick, but he seems to have a following so more power to him.

As a long time follower of Canterbury, I agree with Craig. It gets old when you hear it day after day.:):

cj
08-12-2022, 11:10 AM
As a long time follower of Canterbury, I agree with Craig. It gets old when you hear it day after day.:):

It probably has to do with me having to watch every replay there for a few years, I had to mute it after a while. :)

v j stauffer
08-12-2022, 11:57 AM
I forgot to mention and if someone knows Paul can you please get this message back to him. I think there is a microphone with the technology built in to remove or reduce breathing noises. Just to be clear he is one of the best race callers I have heard but his mic picks up his breathing too much. Maybe Vic Stauffer knows what I’m talking about ?

"Breathy" sounds and popping "P's" are the responsibility of a tracks sound engineer.

All announcers can do is wear the head set properly and try to enunciate well.

Which IMO Paul does very well.

craigbraddick
08-12-2022, 01:35 PM

I never said that about Paul Allen, lol!

v j stauffer
08-12-2022, 02:06 PM

C J, looks like you're gonna have to look into making a change! :pound:

craigbraddick
08-12-2022, 02:29 PM
C J, looks like you're gonna have to look into making a change! :pound:

Oscar Wilde had nothing on you, did he?

cj
08-12-2022, 05:24 PM

I'm claiming senior Craig status unless I find out you are older. If so, you can gladly have it. :)

craigbraddick
08-12-2022, 05:41 PM
I'm claiming senior Craig status unless I find out you are older. If so, you can gladly have it. :)

46 next week. Way I am feeling at the moment I do not to even claim Senior Craig status. You are welcome to it! :)

PalaceOfFortLarned
08-12-2022, 05:50 PM
46 next week. Way I am feeling at the moment I do not to even claim Senior Craig status. You are welcome to it! :)

I say we take it to the track.

A Craig Claiming race for $X at 60 yards on the Toga main track. :popcorn:

PPs from TFUS should be interesting.

craigbraddick
08-12-2022, 06:12 PM

My record will read something like PPPUUFFR/ the way the form is presented in the UK!

Will be going for a track time of 1.59.99 Over and Under wagering available through your sports wagerer of choice!

chenoa
08-12-2022, 06:45 PM
My record will read something like PPPUUFFR/ the way the form is presented in the UK!

Will be going for a track time of 1.59.99 Over and Under wagering available through your sports wagerer of choice!

Sounds as if it could be a real.............WHACKER (sorry Vic:D)!!!

cj
08-12-2022, 06:48 PM

Believe it or not I still run regularly and am pretty darn fast for a big guy. I wouldn't do that to a Craig.

MJC922
08-12-2022, 08:27 PM
Believe it or not I still run regularly and am pretty darn fast for a big guy. I wouldn't do that to a Craig.

Are you still playing tennis?

craigbraddick
08-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Sounds as if it could be a real.............WHACKER (sorry Vic:D)!!!

As Vic would say in never unfailingly insightful way: "Sharp Post." :)

cj
08-12-2022, 10:51 PM
Are you still playing tennis?

Yep, at least three times a week. Leagues on summer break right now but start again next month.

PalaceOfFortLarned
08-12-2022, 11:04 PM
Yep, at least three times a week. Leagues on summer break right now but start again next month.

https://youtu.be/CvtmxxyX0QQ

castaway01
08-17-2022, 10:33 AM

Is pickleball big out there? That's what everyone 40 and up is doing here.

cj
08-17-2022, 10:37 AM
Is pickleball big out there? That's what everyone 40 and up is doing here.

It is. I've played, and I don't want to seem like a jerk, but as a tennis player it is very easy to pick up and a lot of the avid pickleball players aren't very good.

I'm sure there are leagues and it could be a lot more fun playing with similar and better players skill wise, but playing recreationally at a few of the big places around my house there doesn't seem to be any sorting by levels and it gets boring really fast.