PDA

View Full Version : Migliore: Irad Ortiz’s ‘Unnecessary’ Jockeying Took Credit Away From Life Is Good

Andy Asaro
08-08-2022, 05:14 PM
Excerpt:

Ortiz looked over his left shoulder at about the eighth pole nearing the finish and saw Happy Saver a couple lengths back on the rail, then opted to guide Life Is Good over to cross in front of that rival. John Velazquez adjusted course to the outside of Life Is Good, and Ortiz allowed Life Is Good to drift out for the remainder of the stretch run as he rolled to the wire two lengths clear of Happy Saver.

“I'm not a fan of this move,” Migliore said on the NYRA broadcast after the race. “I think Irad is a tremendously talented rider, but sometimes he just gets carried away.

https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/1556750491119325184

Andy Asaro
08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/1556753683290869760

Andy Asaro
08-08-2022, 05:54 PM
https://twitter.com/Plenilune1973/status/1556760330767929344

cj
08-08-2022, 07:35 PM
Since the 30 day suspension, Ortiz has been untouchable in New York. Nothing has changed with his riding, but now he seemingly gets a free pass. The stewards issued a stern ruling but are not willing to go any further.

Andy Asaro
08-08-2022, 07:37 PM
Since the 30 day suspension, Ortiz has been untouchable in New York. Nothing has changed with his riding, but now he seemingly gets a free pass. The stewards issued a stern ruling but are not willing to go any further.

I'll say it. The only way they let a guy get away with this is if they're betting on him in those situations.

the little guy
08-08-2022, 07:39 PM
I'll say it. The only way they let a guy get away with this is if they're betting on him in those situations.

I'll say it.....this is beyond idiotic.

Andy Asaro
08-08-2022, 07:41 PM
I'll say it.....this is beyond idiotic.

I say the same thing about umpires and refs who repeatedly blow calls. Good chance they're gambling.

the little guy
08-08-2022, 07:46 PM
I say the same thing about umpires and refs who repeatedly blow calls. Good chance they're gambling.

Yes, Andy, that's stupid too. Not as dumb as the prior statement but it's not brilliant.

I don't know why they allow Irad to act with relative impunity either, but it's 100% not because they are gambling on the races. Unlike you, I know them.

westernmassbob
08-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Happy Saver almost lost a placing because of the lane switch in the stretch. Almost being the key word here. I think everyone’s opinions would have changed if Happy Saver finished 3rd.

Andy Asaro
08-08-2022, 07:48 PM
Yes, Andy, that's stupid too. Not as dumb as the prior statement but it's not brilliant.

I don't know why they allow Irad to act with relative impunity either, but it's 100% not because they are gambling on the races. Unlike you, I know them.

Gambling on his mounts in those cases is the most likely explanation

cj
08-08-2022, 07:53 PM

No way I'm buying into stewards betting in New York. They have too much to lose. I'd say the same about umpires or referees on the highest stage too. If I thought they bet I wouldn't be playing.

That said, if they are betting Irad's mounts, they are taking a bath at Saratoga. :)

Jeff P
08-08-2022, 08:25 PM
Clearly, 30 days failed to deliver the message.

I say the stewards should call Irad in for a meeting and go over video from take your pick/any number of his rides, and then afterwards, calmly tell him:

"Herding is dangerous. Unless we act you are eventually going to get someone killed. Effective immediately you are hereby suspended 90 days."

Imo, the stewards need to cowboy-up.

Otherwise, looking the other way WILL eventually get someone killed.

-jp

v j stauffer
08-08-2022, 08:27 PM

C'mon ANDY you've been in the trenches. There's ZERO chance the Stewards are involved at the windows. ZERO!

Andy Asaro
08-08-2022, 08:30 PM
C'mon ANDY you've been in the trenches. There's ZERO chance the Stewards are involved at the windows. ZERO!

Well, one of the NYRA made men can go ask why they let him get away with his dangerous riding and put everyone's mind at ease.

Maximillion
08-08-2022, 08:47 PM
You could tie a 100 pound sack on this horse...and he again feels the need to inject himself into the situation.

MJC922
08-08-2022, 08:52 PM
It's a good point. The first strike right-handed was fine imo, he was plenty far out into the track to move inward a bit to throw some kickback. That's exactly what I'd have wanted done but I don't understand the multiple heavy left reining after that, it's too much and then throwing body weight off center to cross all the way over into the path is a real pet peeve of mine. If it's my horse I don't want to see anything like that done throwing weight around.

Al Gobbi
08-08-2022, 08:52 PM

and he got to serve that 30 day suspension basically at the most quite part of the racing calendar

I’ll add this - if Irad was doing this in late 90’s-early 2000’s SoCal there is no way guys like Nakatani, Pedroza or PVal would’ve put up with his repeated antics

1st time lasix
08-08-2022, 08:54 PM
In this instance… he was not DQed because the jock didn’t cost any horse a placing. Do I acknowledge that Irad looked in and then in the final stages “attempt to intimidate “… of course. But really…… to even suggest in passing that the stewards were corrupt or potentially influenced by wagering is so far fetched. IMO A frickin crazy conspiracy theory which is absolutely ludicrous. Shame on those who spout this nonsense

HorsemenHeist
08-08-2022, 09:05 PM
Every trainer should want Irad riding their horse, he actually tries to win. And that counts a lot in a country that is filled with jockeys not giving their best effort.

RunDustyRun
08-08-2022, 09:10 PM
If his name was Paco Lopez he would be suspended for six months...NYRA will not suspend their golden boy...and by the way Saez is the best jock at the meet...

RunDustyRun
08-08-2022, 09:16 PM
And before you criticize me PA...I'm up big big on the meet so I'm no disgruntled better...and fyi I've never researched the religion of any talking head and I can't believe others would..TLG has probably win me some money this meet but he is a crank!

$w1fT
08-08-2022, 10:17 PM
Every trainer should want Irad riding their horse, he actually tries to win. And that counts a lot in a country that is filled with jockeys not giving their best effort.

I’ve seen plenty times when the Ortiz bros give no try efforts. Never on a Pletcher or Chad horse though…

Track Phantom
08-08-2022, 11:33 PM
When did this abrupt intimidation riding become a thing? I don't remember this from the '80's and '90's and, in fact, I saw a couple of older races recently and noticed how straight the riders were keeping their horses.

Actually, I believe the first time I really noticed it was Kent Desormeaux in the Belmont on Real Quiet.

the little guy
08-09-2022, 12:02 AM
If his name was Paco Lopez he would be suspended for six months...NYRA will not suspend their golden boy...and by the way Saez is the best jock at the meet...

NYRA doesn't suspend riders. Why is this so confusing to people?

Cuffdaddy
08-09-2022, 12:02 AM
When did this abrupt intimidation riding become a thing? I don't remember this from the '80's and '90's and, in fact, I saw a couple of older races recently and noticed how straight the riders were keeping their horses.

Actually, I believe the first time I really noticed it was Kent Desormeaux in the Belmont on Real Quiet.

Have you ever seen Pat Valenzuela.

Someday Silent
08-09-2022, 12:22 AM
It's a good point. The first strike right-handed was fine imo, he was plenty far out into the track to move inward a bit to throw some kickback. That's exactly what I'd have wanted done but I don't understand the multiple heavy left reining after that, it's too much and then throwing body weight off center to cross all the way over into the path is a real pet peeve of mine. If it's my horse I don't want to see anything like that done throwing weight around.

It only makes sense if Johnny V got two free punches on Irad's nose afterwards.

burnsy
08-09-2022, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=Track Phantom;2822886]When did this abrupt intimidation riding become a thing? I don't remember this from the '80's and '90's and, in fact, I saw a couple of older races recently and noticed how straight the riders were keeping their horses.

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0iFI7aLsQY[/https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0iFI7aLsQY
You gotta be kidding me. Irad rides old school. That’s the way it was done by many of the top jocks back then . The thing is back then most times nobody said or did anything about it. And before my time jocks were known to take a swipe at opposing riders if no one was looking. It’s just the opposite of what you’re saying . Now, they actually face more discipline. This video is the 1980 Preakness. Codex takes Genuine Risk out to get a hot dog on the turn. Herding was a way of life back then . When you’re at the top of any sport ….. many will push the limits. Being over competitive is usually the sign of the drive you need to be on top. The rules are way more enforced these days IMO. Yeah, he intimidated Saturday but he was never really near Happy Saver either. He was not along side , he had room to work with. Of course people don’t like it . But there’s a lot at stake and that SOB refuses to lose. People think these guys get to the top being nice? Yeah ok. :rolleyes:

rastajenk
08-09-2022, 07:58 AM
I think they called it 'race riding' back in the day. :p

burnsy
08-09-2022, 08:09 AM
I think they called it 'race riding' back in the day. :p

Exactly. No one can tell me that enforcement has decreased. That’s just the dumbest thing you could write in here. The race riding is way less severe or common these days. Because they will go after the rider now. As they probably should for safety sake . But to say that kind of riding is more prevalent today? You’re outta you f’in mind!

I saw an interview with Angel and Jacinto. They asked what they thought about that ride. Jacinto said if things were switched around he would of tried to do the same thing that Angel did to Genuine Risk.

geroge.burns99
08-09-2022, 09:31 AM
Clearly, 30 days failed to deliver the message.

I say the stewards should call Irad in for a meeting and go over video from take your pick/any number of his rides, and then afterwards, calmly tell him:

"Herding is dangerous. Unless we act you are eventually going to get someone killed. Effective immediately you are hereby suspended 90 days."

Imo, the stewards need to cowboy-up.

Otherwise, looking the other way WILL eventually get someone killed.

-jp

1ST Infraction....30 days..

2ND Infraction....90 days

3RD Infraction.....180 days...

Should send the message

classhandicapper
08-09-2022, 10:26 AM
I think it's on the riders to decide where the line is between the type of race riding that has existed for decades and when it's dangerous behavior that puts someone at risk. It's not just about herding. Riders also try to make it tight along the rail, try to box horses in tight, drift on the turns, purposely come in/out at the start etc... I'm not sure what recourse the riders have, but there must be someone that can do something if there are multiple complaints about the same rider. If they aren't complaining, it's tougher to do something because that means they all want to race ride at times and will only complain about very specific rides. Right or wrong, as far as I could tell, Velasquez was OK with Ortiz's ride because he was well clear. Who is going to do something when the other rider doesn't even complain (as least publicly).

burnsy
08-09-2022, 10:45 AM
And all this crap about Irad. He’s just the best rider right now, by a margin. Forget about the Whitney. Watch the 10 th on Sunday. 1 Digital Software. A 50 k claiming race on the turf. It’s a textbook ride , nothing spectacular but he just rates that horse perfectly and in the process outrides some of the other top jocks. That horse wins for fun like he outclassed the field which looking at that horse. Well , he’s not that much better. I don’t know if there’s a stat for the margin of winning. But the guy probably wins more races by open lengths than anyone. There’s also a thing called “envy” when you have the talent.

geroge.burns99
08-09-2022, 10:55 AM
And all this crap about Irad. He’s just the best rider right now, by a margin. Forget about the Whitney. Watch the 10 th on Sunday. 1 Digital Software. A 50 k claiming race on the turf. It’s a textbook ride , nothing spectacular but he just rates that horse perfectly and in the process outrides some of the other top jocks. That horse wins for fun like he outclassed the field which looking at that horse. Well , he’s not that much better. I don’t know if there’s a stat for the margin of winning. But the guy probably wins more races by open lengths than anyone. There’s also a thing called “envy” when you have the talent.

Jockeys need to be keen on pace and position....

Thou he was 5/2 , him winning wasn't a surprise....

The ride was.....being on the rail and in 6th position ...he judged the pace was fast(47.3) ....he tipped out to not get boxed and the rest was history...

Do yo how many time Carmouche gets caught on the rail with the best horse??

You need a "timer" in your head on when to do things

and some are better than others!!!

cj
08-09-2022, 11:11 AM

He is one of the best riders, not the best by a margin. This misconception is what causes him to get bet so heavily, too heavily. I'll say he has the best agent hands down.

bks
08-09-2022, 11:29 AM
I’ll add this - if Irad was doing this in late 90’s-early 2000’s SoCal there is no way guys like Nakatani, Pedroza or PVal would’ve put up with his repeated antics

Not to mention McCarron, Pincay, Desormeaux, Eddie D, Flores, Antley, and others. What a colony that was.

$w1fT
08-09-2022, 03:24 PM

He gets the cream of the crop from the top two NYRA barns. That horse was the cream of the crop in that race.

Al Gobbi
08-10-2022, 03:13 PM
after today's Race 3 incident at Saratoga, Irad can pretty much do whatever he wants at NYRA.

barbaro123
08-10-2022, 03:26 PM
Well, one of the NYRA made men can go ask why they let him get away with his dangerous riding and put everyone's mind at ease.

Did anyone just watch race #3 at Saratoga where Irad just took the field out from the gate: I could not believe how he came across the field out of the gate. Some horses had to steady, it cost some horses the ability to progress. the FSN guys were discussing his recklessness- again: Fortunately his horse got nipped at the wire by Con Man. He is going to cause a horrible incident before he is finally stopped. It will be very sad-- Apparently he does not care and nobody has the balls to get in his face and tell him to stop being reckless or they will take care of him. That is what he needs. He needs to be scared straight.

Andy Asaro
08-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Did anyone just watch race #3 at Saratoga where Irad just took the field out from the gate: I could not believe how he came across the field out of the gate. Some horses had to steady, it cost some horses the ability to progress. the FSN guys were discussing his recklessness- again: Fortunately his horse got nipped at the wire by Con Man. He is going to cause a horrible incident before he is finally stopped. It will be very sad-- Apparently he does not care and nobody has the balls to get in his face and tell him to stop being reckless or they will take care of him. That is what he needs. He needs to be scared straight.

If he is continuing his dangerous ways the other Jocks should contemplate refusing to ride in any race he's riding and the Jockeys Guild should support that. Never happen but it should

And I'll say it again someone besides Irad and the connections are benefitting from his reckless rides or it would stop. I trust nobody when it comes to gambling

https://twitter.com/jackkim36/status/1557442976959324160

Robert Fischer
08-11-2022, 09:13 AM
https://twitter.com/jason_kassa/status/1557711223315111941

Athletes in general, in today's world, have more sensitive treatment from coaches, as well as the agents, ownerships, and sponsorships.

but Irad, or anyone else does get spoken to behind the scenes. Irad is a 'made man' compared to a lot of fringe or outsider jockeys, but he's not at all so compared to the billionaires running the game. He does get spoken to.

For us fans it's fun to have villains. Something to talk about.

Tom
08-11-2022, 09:54 AM
This guy is a menace ands a looooong vacation.

90 days would be nice. 120 better.

But the stewards are clearly incompetent at best.

This track is minor league. I believe NYRA can rule him offf the grounds, is that correct? They need to come out of that effing tree house and start protecting their bettors. If they are able and don't, they are condoning this azzhole.
That is a slap in the face to their customers.

westernmassbob
08-11-2022, 09:57 AM
This incident took all the attention off the #1 horse who caused just as much trouble without the 9 horse being involved....well almost as much. Stewards usually don't make changes for infractions at gate break unless a horse falls down. That's the way it has always been. Why this is even a debate is ridiculous. Let us not forget Bayern in the BCC.

cj
08-11-2022, 10:01 AM
after today's Race 3 incident at Saratoga, Irad can pretty much do whatever he wants at NYRA.

It has been that way all year. It is almost like the stewards thought the 30 days (which was fake 30 anyway) would fix things, but since it hasn't they are basically giving up. They don't have the marbles to step it up to 60.

cj
08-11-2022, 10:04 AM
This incident took all the attention off the #1 horse who caused just as much trouble without the 9 horse being involved....well almost as much. Stewards usually don't make changes for infractions at gate break unless a horse falls down. That's the way it has always been. Why this is even a debate is ridiculous. Let us not forget Bayern in the BCC.

The 1 came out maybe 15% of the amount the 9 came in.

westernmassbob
08-11-2022, 10:32 AM
The 1 came out maybe 15% of the amount the 9 came in.

Fair enough. My point though is the 1 horse was never brought up in all of this absurdity. The 9 horse effected 6-7 horses and the 1 horse 2-3. FACT. Tomatoe Tomato lets call the whole thing off. LOL

Boomer
08-11-2022, 10:39 AM
Last race....1/2 hour look by the stewards and they took down the first and second place horses. For minor infractions compared to the herding that goes on every race at the NYRA tracks.

westernmassbob
08-11-2022, 11:22 AM
Last race....1/2 hour look by the stewards and they took down the first and second place horses. For minor infractions compared to the herding that goes on every race at the NYRA tracks.

Wow that’s crazy because double DQ’s are very rare. I hit a very nice pick 4 at Los Al years ago because of a double DQ. That’s the last time I remember one happening.

Andy Asaro
08-22-2022, 07:13 AM
https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/1561672639420108802

https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/1561674470191816704

Andy Asaro
08-22-2022, 05:18 PM
https://twitter.com/PatCummingsTIF/status/1561824323131908096

https://twitter.com/PatCummingsTIF/status/1561824857024872448

BarchCapper
08-22-2022, 06:15 PM
https://twitter.com/PatCummingsTIF/status/1561824857024872448

For the sake of the fuller picture, the NYSGC steward that is said single point of contact for determining jockey fines and suspensions is Braulio Baeza, Jr., son of the HOF jockey. I did think it odd that his name wasn't mentioned at all (that I heard) during the discussion of this topic.

cj
08-22-2022, 10:22 PM
For the sake of the fuller picture, the NYSGC steward that is said single point of contact for determining jockey fines and suspensions is Braulio Baeza, Jr., son of the HOF jockey. I did think it odd that his name wasn't mentioned at all (that I heard) during the discussion of this topic.

He also, for some unknown reason, is the decision maker when it comes to mistimed races. He'd rather the public use bad hand-times than much more accurate video times. There are also times I've found races that were timed wrong but he won't allow them to be changed. Only in New York are stewards involved in this, and in this case it is the one steward.

Suff
08-24-2022, 11:51 PM
I could be a 🤡 and bust balls, but I don't care enough or know enough to even try.

https://i.ibb.co/bPTK9GM/Screenshot-20220824-234451.png (https://ibb.co/f2fxwTz)

Tom
08-25-2022, 09:42 AM
He also, for some unknown reason, is the decision maker when it comes to mistimed races. He'd rather the public use bad hand-times than much more accurate video times. There are also times I've found races that were timed wrong but he won't allow them to be changed. Only in New York are stewards involved in this, and in this case it is the one steward.

That is unbelievable!
A lousy state employee gets to make decisions like that????

I see only one reason he would do that, HAVING ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERTISE in the process, and that is he is acting in a dishonest manner. Yes, I am calling him crooked. This steward is disgrace.

Andy Asaro
08-25-2022, 10:41 AM
That is unbelievable!
A lousy state employee gets to make decisions like that????

I see only one reason he would do that, HAVING ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERTISE in the process, and that is he is acting in a dishonest manner. Yes, I am calling him crooked. This steward is disgrace.

Gotta be investigated. Big advantage knowing times are wrong

Tom
08-25-2022, 10:58 AM

AND knowing certain riders can do what they want and not worry.

cj
08-25-2022, 01:24 PM
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Report_Irad_Ortiz_Rosario_are_suspended_for_3_days _at_Saratoga_123

classhandicapper
08-25-2022, 06:17 PM

It's probably less of an advantage these days because there are sometimes multiple sources for the times of the races and a few of the leading figure makers time the races themselves if something looks off, but a cynical person could certainly suspect that things like mistimed races and private information on track maintenance could be used to one's advantage if it was available.

Tom
08-25-2022, 06:26 PM
It's probably less of an advantage these days because there are sometimes multiple sources for the times of the races and a few of the leading figure makers time the races themselves if something looks off, but a cynical person could certainly suspect that things like mistimed races and private information on track maintenance could be used to one's advantage if it was available.

So you are saying he is not crooked, just incompetent?