affirmedny
08-01-2022, 03:25 PM
https://twitter.com/peterberry57/status/1554183971512193024

lamboguy
08-01-2022, 03:32 PM
this is going to be a real good race.

Someday Silent
08-01-2022, 10:50 PM
Solid group, better than the G3 designation.

the little guy
08-01-2022, 10:52 PM
Whatever your opinion of Lasix, it's a disgrace that the Graded Stakes committee has continued to offer Grades to races to tracks that allow Lasix to the detriment of those that don't. It's a ridiculous unfair advantage.

cj
08-01-2022, 11:16 PM
Whatever your opinion of Lasix, it's a disgrace that the Graded Stakes committee has continued to offer Grades to races to tracks that allow Lasix to the detriment of those that don't. It's a ridiculous unfair advantage.

It is ridiculous and makes zero sense.

Peter Berry
08-02-2022, 12:23 AM
Thank you for your thoughtful contribution.

Tom
08-02-2022, 09:20 AM
Well, they got more than 5 horses, so there's that.

the little guy
08-02-2022, 09:42 AM
Well, they got more than 5 horses, so there's that.

That's the point, Tom. The availability of big purse races where horses can use Lasix has given these races an advantage.

I'm not a big anti-lasix guy by any means, and think there are bigger issues, but this is a primary reason these races draw bigger fields. To be fair, Mountaineer can do whatever they want, I just thought initially that the Graded Stakes committee would rescind the grades if tracks chose to allow Lasix. Obviously, that did not happen.

Sheffwed
08-02-2022, 09:46 AM

wholeheartedly agreed

no graded stake should allow Lasix

lets also look at Lasix and the most financially successful racing jurisdictions in the world - they don't allow it all (HK and Japan for two examples)

we need more out of the box thinking

classhandicapper
08-02-2022, 10:12 AM
I agree with the sentiment expressed here. If you are going to move towards no Lasix, you have to do it consistently across all graded stakes.

I think in this case most of these horses probably would have passed on the Jim Dandy in favor of this spot anyway. There's only a 100K difference in the purse but a huge difference in the quality of the competition. If I had a 2nd tier horse, I'd be in this race too, Lasix or not. The Jim Dandy was a small field but it had the best of the division in it. The opportunities to avoid the best competition and how it impacts field size is another issue.

mountainman
08-02-2022, 11:13 AM
Tough positioning for a 3-year-old stakes. The derby- in fact, the entire card -turned out better than we expected. The Governor's, in particular, came up deep.

I dithered more than usual on the derby line, and just installed We the People as favorite.

From a handicapping perspective, lasix indeed muddies the waters. We the People stands 2 for 2 on bleeder meds, and Simplification will run first-time-lasix.

Someday Silent
08-03-2022, 10:30 PM
I'm interested about why the #7 isn't on Lasix, assuming that Lasix confers an advantage.

BarchCapper
08-03-2022, 10:49 PM
I'm interested about why the #7 isn't on Lasix, assuming that Lasix confers an advantage.

And the horse won at the same 1 1/8M distance the last time he WAS on Lasix!

PalaceOfFortLarned
08-06-2022, 11:11 AM
Nice field.

Been a :2: Simplification fan, but he just doesn't seem to be getting better. Getting some class relief here, but hard to play at likely low odds.

:3: Home Brew feels like the 'now' horse. Getting better each time out, and horses shipping from MTH have been running well. Should be a good bounce back race for :6: We The People. Intriguing race.

Tom
08-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Me the player likes We the People.
Hope to get a fistfull of Those the Dollars. :)