PDA

View Full Version : RTN

Cutter14
07-25-2022, 08:26 PM
Can people give me a review of RTN-thinking of dumping TVG-when I do watch it I mute it

Dave Schwartz
07-25-2022, 08:59 PM
I love it.

Gave up my DishNet subscription with 5 TVs (at $135 per month) for 3 tracks with great resolution for like $15 per month.

Support is superb.

wisconsin
07-25-2022, 09:14 PM
I love it.

Gave up my DishNet subscription with 5 TVs (at $135 per month) for 3 tracks with great resolution for like $15 per month.

Support is superb.

What is the set-up? Do you still need a dish and who owns said dish?

Rollingpk3
07-25-2022, 09:59 PM

just stick a $35 roku streaming stick into an hdmi input snd you are good to go

Rollingpk3
07-25-2022, 10:03 PM
Can people give me a review of RTN-thinking of dumping TVG-when I do watch it I mute it

great product. all of the live track feeds in hd ( if available) and access to the full replay library. A steal for the price.

BarchCapper
07-25-2022, 10:16 PM
RTN is no contest the absolute best money I have spent over the course of my lifetime on horse racing. In addition to all the replay availability, the ability to switch to whatever track you want with a couple of clicks, and to be able to watch that track's races in (almost) real time with no tape delay and no commercials (except a track's in house commercials, which won't come during a post parade or a race) is true horseplayer heaven!

Dave Schwartz
07-25-2022, 10:17 PM

No.

It's just your browser.
So, I let go of Dish.
(We used it only for racing.)

wisconsin
07-26-2022, 08:18 AM
No.

It's just your browser.
So, I let go of Dish.
(We used it only for racing.)

Nice. Thanks for the info. Already have the Roku stick so it sounds easy peasy.

SharpCat
07-31-2022, 09:41 AM
For any of you guys that have RTN and Twinspires is the video quality better on RTN? Is there less delay on RTN?

classhandicapper
07-31-2022, 09:45 AM
Is it easy to cast RTN you your TV?

spiketoo
07-31-2022, 10:19 AM
For any of you guys that have RTN and Twinspires is the video quality better on RTN? Is there less delay on RTN?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but RTN is the main disseminator for most if not all track feeds. Except for places like NYRA that may use their own feeds, all the ADWs get their track feeds from RTN.

The feed is the same but the actual delays you will see from the ADW is their delay and not RTNs. As always, YMMV.

foregoforever
07-31-2022, 10:45 AM

Very easy, although it might depend on which browser you're using. I use Chrome on Android tablets/phones and Vivaldi on my PC, and both are easy and work well.

The only annoyance is that RTN times out the video after two hours due to "inactivity". If you're viewing full-screen, there's no warning and no way to avoid it. So you have to un-cast, un-fullscreen, refresh, re-fullscreen and re-cast. That's very annoying, especially on a tablet or phone, since the full-screen and cast buttons are small.

RTN is a great product and well worth the cost, but it can be a pain to use.

QuarterCrack
07-31-2022, 12:09 PM
RTN is great, you can watch it on you mobile device or computer/tablet, and I also watch it via their Roku app which allows you to watch it on your TV. The quality is great, most tracks are in full HD. I definitely recommend it.

ronsmac
07-31-2022, 03:02 PM
Joyce was unbearable yesterday.

CheckMark
07-31-2022, 03:18 PM
just stick a $35 Roku streaming stick into an HDMI input and you are good to go

I second that this is what I do for watching streams not just for horse racing I do it for sports and also movies too which is a big help

foregoforever
07-31-2022, 03:51 PM
The Fox Sports Day at the Races feed is on RTN as well. You don't have to constantly flip back and forth between FS2 and FS1. They also filter out those obnoxious Fox Sports Talk show ads.

BarchCapper
07-31-2022, 08:57 PM

If you have a Roku, there's an app available.

If you have an Amazon Fire Stick, there's an app available.

If you have a Roku or Amazon Fire-based SmartTV, there's an app available.

The only thing that times out my RTN on the TVs via the device/TV apps (re: another poster's comment about 2 hours) is when the track's signal that I have it on stops transmitting for the day.

No reason to cast from laptop to TV unless you don't want to spend the extra $40 one time only.

cj
07-31-2022, 09:34 PM
If you have a Roku, there's an app available.

If you have an Amazon Fire Stick, there's an app available.

If you have a Roku or Amazon Fire-based SmartTV, there's an app available.

The only thing that times out my RTN on the TVs via the device/TV apps (re: another poster's comment about 2 hours) is when the track's signal that I have it on stops transmitting for the day.

No reason to cast from laptop to TV unless you don't want to spend the extra $40 one time only.

The upside to casting to the TV is the website has better functionality than the app. The multicast is nice if you are playing several signals, and replay searching is much easier and faster.

BarchCapper
08-01-2022, 08:56 AM
The upside to casting to the TV is the website has better functionality than the app. The multicast is nice if you are playing several signals, and replay searching is much easier and faster.

Good to know! I will freely admit I may have used the website exactly once. Your info just means it's even MORE of a value than I had thought.

The only downside for me with RTN is they don't have agreements with Racing TVi for the UK/Irish tracks (the UK tracks available on RTN are through the TellyTrack South African broadcast), or Equidia for the French tracks.

HorsemenHeist
08-01-2022, 08:57 AM
Joyce was unbearable everyday.

There, fixed it for you. Can't wait for TVG's re-brand when he'll either be shown the door or forced to cover Chinese pickleball

BarchCapper
08-01-2022, 10:04 AM
There, fixed it for you. Can't wait for TVG's re-brand when he'll either be shown the door or forced to cover Chinese pickleball

I enjoy Mike Joyce. It was always a pleasure when he came to Oaklawn to cover the races. Very easy to talk to, insightful about the industry, and a lot of fun. There are other racing personalities who are much more standoffish in person.

HorsemenHeist
08-02-2022, 07:49 AM
I enjoy Mike Joyce. It was always a pleasure when he came to Oaklawn to cover the races. Very easy to talk to, insightful about the industry, and a lot of fun. There are other racing personalities who are much more standoffish in person.

He is clearly a nepotism hire and a Baffert ass kisser, like most on the network.

This softball interview with Adan Farias "good to see you back at the races" after being banned from Los Al for years for doping and laundering money for the drug cartel was disgusting

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/1553168719492198400

In case you need a refresher on this trainer's history

https://www.ocregister.com/2013/06/23/how-los-alamitos-horse-trainer-got-mixed-up-with-zetas-drug-cartel/

Guy should be out of horse racing yet the insightful about the industry Joyce thinks he has a place and that it is a good thing that he is training horses in a state that's supposedly trying to clean up the sport.

the little guy
08-02-2022, 08:25 AM

Mike is a great guy. Extremely funny as well.

BarchCapper
08-02-2022, 08:56 AM
insightful about the industry Joyce

I will simply say that off camera he was not the "all is wonderful" mouthpiece that the TVG people are more or less required to be on camera. He's not in a journalist/news role on TVG - none of them are. They are PR spokespeople. There will be insights from some of them, but only ones with a positive spin. I don't expect a lot more than fluff on TVG, and I'm hardly ever disappointed. Since I don't need to hear a lot of fluff - I consume my racing TV content via RTN instead (to return it to the subject of the thread).

We know it's not just TVG. Was watching another track yesterday afternoon (on RTN - two thread points now:) ) and the announcer was talking about his selection in a race, trained by someone who'd taken a hiatus from training for about 5 years, had recently come back and was doing well (20% winners). I wasn't paying close attention but overheard that the trainer had spent time as a "motivational speaker and preacher" during his hiatus. I'm a pastor, so of course I find the horse trainer/preacher connection interesting and look the guy up - maybe he's got an interesting story, maybe a guy I'd like to follow, even meet.

Well, the most recent news items that came up in my search were from 2016, and included a mug shot of him after being arrested and accused of some missing money and some missing horses. As with the CJ McMahon attempted murder arrest in La. from early 2021 - there's no news of any outcome from the charges that I can find. So all I can do is surmise the nature of this trainer's hiatus. But that was not going to come from the track announcer - and I don't expect it to. It's my "business" to be in favor of the repentant being given another chance, so I don't know enough to judge the trainer's situation any further. The track mouthpiece was just handling the PR points.

KidCruz
08-03-2022, 02:01 AM
I love it.

Support is superb.

Hold on a second, "support is superb??"

I use the product and surely recognize its value but "support is superb" is as ludicrous a statement as I have seen on here. The guy that handles "support" for Roberts is renown for being one of the absolute worst people in the industry to deal with and that is saying something. Rude, unhelpful and condescending and I've heard this from dozens of people.

Please, no one switch to RTN for support because you will get none.

Dave Schwartz
08-03-2022, 07:39 AM

I use the product and surely recognize its value but "support is superb" is as ludicrous a statement as I have seen on here. The guy that handles "support" for Roberts is renown for being one of the absolute worst people in the industry to deal with and that is saying something. Rude, unhelpful and condescending and I've heard this from dozens of people.

I can only speak of my own experience.

Over the last 6 years or so I've had maybe 5 calls to them. Twice I left messages and both times got a call back in minutes.

Always the help fixed the problem.

No idea why my experience is so different than yours.

BarchCapper
08-03-2022, 09:27 AM

I'll note that in my year plus of using RTN, I have never had an issue needing support. Again, I watch through the Roku app, so it likely might be something that comes up more for those using the website.

cj
08-03-2022, 09:32 AM
I've had two questions over the years and both were answered/fixed promptly.

horsefan2019
08-03-2022, 02:17 PM
He is clearly a nepotism hire and a Baffert ass kisser, like most on the network.

This softball interview with Adan Farias "good to see you back at the races" after being banned from Los Al for years for doping and laundering money for the drug cartel was disgusting

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/1553168719492198400

In case you need a refresher on this trainer's history

https://www.ocregister.com/2013/06/23/how-los-alamitos-horse-trainer-got-mixed-up-with-zetas-drug-cartel/

Guy should be out of horse racing yet the insightful about the industry Joyce thinks he has a place and that it is a good thing that he is training horses in a state that's supposedly trying to clean up the sport.

They aren't going to ask those questions because they are the TV channel of a gambling website. TVG is not a news organization, if any of those personalities were to act as journalists I would bet they would be looking for a new job.

jameegray1
08-03-2022, 03:26 PM

I email RTN support occasionally, usually when there is an issue with one of the more obscure streams. Without fail they get back to me within a couple of minutes.

JHK
08-06-2022, 01:52 PM
Love RTN but they need some changes.

The 2 hour "click here or we will send you back to the main menu" garbage needs to go.

And it's ridiculous not to be able to stream more than one race at a time unless you use their inferior "multicast" that won't let you have 4 tracks of screen equal size, then go full screen.

Other than that it is great, a true bargain at $15/month.

thespaah
08-06-2022, 09:05 PM
I love it.

Support is superb.

H Dave....If you remember, I assisted you with your Dish subscription and your configuration in the "war room"..Anyway, I decided to sub to the RTN on line version. I am pleased with it.
For 15 bucks a month it is well worth it.
If I want, I can run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV for a better experience.
I wish RTN had a mobile app.
RTN does hiccup on my phone though.
I'm planning giving RTN support a call to see if there are any tricks and tips.

thespaah
08-06-2022, 09:15 PM
just stick a $35 roku streaming stick into an hdmi input snd you are good to go

Hi former Dish tech and supervisor here.
To access RTN via satellite, In addition to RT, a Dish subscription to basic programming is required. Also, because RTN comes from an older satellite in another orbital slot( 118.7 degrees) and the " bird" transmits on a higher frequency, a much larger antenna is required. Its a .75 meter ( approx 32 inches wide by 20 inches in height) It is a pretty heavy piece of material and as such, I don't recommend a roof mount.
Anyway, I have the on line version and its great, All HD feeds. And the lag behind real time is minimal. In fact, its actually closer to real time than the satellite version.

thespaah
08-06-2022, 09:22 PM
I can't remember the last time I tuned into TVG.
IMO, they are too west coast centric.
Todd Schrup has this annoying man crush on "DWL- Marrrrr".
PLus, for whatever reason, TVG uses their own graphics in lieu of the track graphics. Why they do this...I have no clue. TVG takes down the running order from the screen at the top of the stretch. And they don't show the running order after the race has ended.

thespaah
08-06-2022, 09:24 PM
I went on the google play store on my phone( was at a friends house on Haskell Day.
I didn't find an app for RTN....I think I may be misunderstanding the process whereby one accesses RTN's app

thespaah
08-06-2022, 09:29 PM

The 2 hour "click here or we will send you back to the main menu" garbage needs to go.

And it's ridiculous not to be able to stream more than one race at a time unless you use their inferior "multicast" that won't let you have 4 tracks of screen equal size, then go full screen.

Other than that it is great, a true bargain at $15/month.I suspect it is a bandwidth issue.
Inactive receivers are 'kicked off' to reduce traffic form their servers.
To eliminate being timed out, simply click on something else and click right back to where you were.

cj
08-07-2022, 02:46 AM
I went on the google play store on my phone( was at a friends house on Haskell Day.
I didn't find an app for RTN....I think I may be misunderstanding the process whereby one accesses RTN's app

The app is for TV. On phones, tablets, laptop, etc., you go to the website.

SharpCat
08-07-2022, 04:54 AM

Other than that it is great, a true bargain at $15/month.

I built a new pc specifically so I could stream several tracks at once. Previously had a 15in laptop and now have 32in 4k monitor. I wager on Twinspires and use their pop out video. It was a pain in the ass to resize the windows to try and fill my monitor. I came across a program called WindowGrid that resizes my windows automatically. Just drag the window into the grid, click the space bar and it resizes perfectly. When I want to watch a race I just go full screen on that window and when the race is over just minimize it back into the grid.

I did 10 tracks one time but the windows were too small for my liking. Our fixed wireless internet can't handle it and had to make this video using my mobile hotspot. Waiting to see if fiberoptic internet will be expanded in our subdivision as it literally is surrounding us. If it does come our way I'll buy a 2nd matching monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGEiixOWII8

thespaah
08-07-2022, 11:34 PM
I called them this morning.
First, the tech answered within one minute of hold time beginning.
Here's what I covered.
1. the time out feature is due to the use of bandwidth. The Rep said two hours is where the site will time out a user for inactivity.
2. On mobile devices, the time out can be as few at ten minutes. Again, this is to limit bandwidth use and reduce traffic from the RTN servers.
3. Some mobile devices have an issue when a user attempts to scroll down ONLY through the listings of available tracks. The site will auto refresh and require the user to log back onto the site. Scrolling UP does not affect status
BTW, the tech wasn't familiar with this issue and had me clear the browser history on my phone. That didn't work. SO the tech actually tried it on HIS phone. And lo and behold, the same thing happened.
When he attempted to scroll down, the page refreshed( the little circle spins around) and kicks the user off the site.
I played around with that screen and was able to scroll down by GENTLY touching the phone screen and slowly dragging downward.
One other issue I've noticed.
On my mobile device( phone) ..If I open another window in a browser OR click on an app, and then attempt to return to the window opened to RTN, it displays an error message. At this point, one must log back into RTN.
This is a pain in the hind quarters for sure.
BTW, NONE of these issues affect those using a windows based computer.
Don't know about Apple products.
Last item. The tech seemed to imply that google chrome users call into the tech support more often than firefox or microsoft edge users. Again, this pertains to mobile devices.
BTW, for those wishing to use the on line version and display on their TV, Roku or Amazon Firestick is required, There is NO WAY to cast RTN to a TV from a mobile device.

foregoforever
08-08-2022, 12:42 AM
BTW, for those wishing to use the on line version and display on their TV, Roku or Amazon Firestick is required, There is NO WAY to cast RTN to a TV from a mobile device.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I often cast from an Android tablet showing their video in Chrome to a Chromecast dongle connected to an HDMI port on my TV. There are 3 dots in the lower right corner of the Chrome player that launches the cast dialogue. It would be my preferred way of viewing were it not for the effing two-hour timeout.

The "inactivity timeout" is absurd. I'm not inactive. I'd just like to set up to watch the signal from my track of choice without having to go back and reset everything 3 or 4 times during the race card.

I also use a Roku, but there's a problem if you have more than one of them. Each time you switch between Rokus, you have to log in again, which is painful since Rokus don't have keyboards.

RTN is a great deal, but I've told their rep that I'd gladly pay twice the cost if they'd improve these technical issues and lose the timeout.

Dave Schwartz
08-08-2022, 02:42 AM
H Dave....If you remember, I assisted you with your Dish subscription and your configuration in the "war room"..Anyway, I decided to sub to the RTN on line version. I am pleased with it.
For 15 bucks a month it is well worth it.
If I want, I can run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV for a better experience.
I wish RTN had a mobile app.
RTN does hiccup on my phone though.
I'm planning giving RTN support a call to see if there are any tricks and tips.

I do recall that.

Back then I was playing more and had the gym in my garage, so the 5-TV setup was really cool, even if expensive. And it was still RTN via Dishnet.

But by comparison, what I get for $15 per month on my monitor (via HDMI, btw) is fantastic.

BarchCapper
08-08-2022, 01:42 PM
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but

I also use a Roku, but there's a problem if you have more than one of them. Each time you switch between Rokus, you have to log in again, which is painful since Rokus don't have keyboards.

I have the Roku app on my phone. It allows me to connect to my various Rokus and use the phone as a remote - which then allows me to type in things with a regular keyboard (on the phone).

MooseDog
08-11-2022, 11:49 AM
TVG takes down the running order from the screen at the top of the stretch. And they don't show the running order after the race has ended.

If the track broadcast is taking the track feed (i.e. top four runners) then it is the placing judge at the track taking down the order. This is standard practice, at least in California.

If the track broadcast is using Trakus or Equibase graphics (usually full order line) then the numbers will continue to the finish line.