PDA

View Full Version : John Imbriale

Pages : [1] 2

Brisk Urging
07-20-2022, 01:07 PM
Having tough time at Saratoga.Getting killed on twitter

jimmyb
07-20-2022, 01:12 PM
Back in the day some were tough on Jesus Christ for consorting with prostitutes.

I enjoy Johns calls.

Elkchester Road
07-20-2022, 01:57 PM
Back in the day some were tough on Jesus Christ for consorting with prostitutes.

I enjoy Johns calls.

John Imbriale :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Twitter :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:
Poisonous as all Hell.

lamboguy
07-20-2022, 02:24 PM

Poisonous as all Hell.Imbriale is my favorite announcer and Twitter is my least favorite platform

Robert Fischer
07-20-2022, 02:24 PM

Poisonous as all Hell.

:ThmbUp:
Imbriale is fine and seems like a class act.

Twitter? - A lot of good horseplayers, but the topic is seldom genuine horseplaying discussion. Have an urge to start a thread or two here to scratch that itch.

Bustin Stones
07-20-2022, 02:29 PM
John's fine. I think the problem with both Collmus and John is that they followed Durkin.

Tom
07-20-2022, 03:25 PM
Johnny I,
He's they guy!

Twitter, twitter,
A virtusal........

KirisClown
07-20-2022, 03:28 PM
Imbriale does a solid job all year, I've always enjoyed his calls going back to the mid 90s. He's also an extremely nice guy.

Twitter is absolute garbage.

judehaz
07-20-2022, 05:45 PM
I pay a lot of attention to track announcers and it's truly a big reason why I choose to follow certain tracks. In my estimation, Johnny I has definitely evolved since taking over full time, getting more confident in his calls, building more rhythm, really representing the brand of NYRA and adding his own unique take.

That being said, I am huge fan of Larry and am sad we don't get to hear him more. I wish he and NYRA could have gotten a deal done. I think his voice and cadence is great. On the subject of voice, I actually also really like John Lies, for whom I think people have mixed opinions.

Tom Durkin was a fantastic personality and being at his call of the 2009 Woodward is one of the best live sports moments I've ever been at, even if he did call her "Rachel Alexander" a few times. :) Rachel did, indeed, raise the rafters at the Spa that day.

VeryOldMan
07-20-2022, 06:24 PM

Poisonous as all Hell.

+1

Seems like track announcing can be a pretty thankless job - people rarely go online to say "X called a great card today!" but sure feel free to rag on the announcers. Twitter provides a megaphone for the biggest loudmouths.

Parkview_Pirate
07-21-2022, 09:11 AM
John's fine. I think the problem with both Collmus and John is that they followed Durkin.

A fair point. Big shoes to fill. Durkin is one of the top 5 race callers of all time, IMHO.

But while I also like John Imbriale and think he's one of the best current callers, I don't miss Collmus at all. Not saying that's a popular opinion, just mine. I do not much care for the "yellers", which includes Collmus, Mark Johnson (formerly of CD), Vic Stauffer and others. I do think both Collmus and Stauffer deliver a professional call and updates before and after the race, however.

I prefer more of the laid back delivery of the likes of Marshall Cassidy, Greg Miles (another top 5), Darren Flindell (formerly of HK, now in Aus), and Paul Allen.

An exception would be Phil Georgeff, who was often quite animated. As my buddy at Fairmount Park once said, "Phil can call a $4,000 claimer and make it sound like a Grade 1 event". Spinning out of the turn, indeed.

Brisk Urging
07-21-2022, 09:34 AM
Imbriale imo has been average so far..

Bustin Stones
07-21-2022, 03:24 PM
This seems like a good place to put in a good word for Larry Lederman. He used to call them at Freehold. His race calling was a separate part of the entertainment. We need more of his kind.

judehaz
07-21-2022, 04:53 PM
This seems like a good place to put in a good word for Larry Lederman. He used to call them at Freehold. His race calling was a separate part of the entertainment. We need more of his kind.

Larry is still around from time to time. He got past a very serious health scare and fills in at times. I've heard him at Freehold, The Big M, and I think Parx within the last few years.

dilanesp
07-21-2022, 05:43 PM
I think NYRA's employment of Imbriale proves my point about race-callers, which is even if fans enjoy listening to them, they aren't really important to the product. I assume NYRA's moving from Collmus to Imbriale made sense for them financially, and that's all that matters.

Having said that, Collmus may be the best I've ever heard.

And the other thing about this is you can be sentimental about particular voices. For instance, I understand some people don't really like Vic (including one person in this thread), but I associate his voice with Hollywood Park, wafting over what was often sadly a fairly empty grandstand after the last race and rattling off all the legendary horses who had raced there as part of his sign-offs. And I miss that, as I miss Hollywood Park.

craigbraddick
07-21-2022, 07:06 PM
This thread alone just goes to show how some people prefer certain styles of calling over another.

There are two or three well known racecallers I will never understand the attraction of and two or three racecallers I would happily listen to all day.

That said I have found Twitter to be quite useful for race calling feedback when I have requested it. Try and put the needs of the horseplayer first, give them high quality race calls and just hope they like your style. Cannot do much more than that!

BMustang
07-21-2022, 07:20 PM
John has been the second stinger in New York for so long that the fans are thinking Ladies Day at Aqueduct rather than prime time at the Spa. His calls are very generic and have little personality and no story line to them. I made the trip to Saratoga during Durkin's final season, just for the purpose of being there to here him call the races his last year. He did set the bar high, and will always be the guy by whom all other race-callers in New York, and maybe Florida, are compared.
Imbriale is not who I want to hear at Saratoga. Poor John was unable to incorporate running through the "Summer Shower" under the ensuing rainbow on Thursday.
Maybe one day a week, but not as the main guy. Certainly New York racing can do better.

the little guy
07-21-2022, 08:54 PM
To each their own, but I find it very sad that some of you don't see bigger pictures and can't appreciate John Imbriale, who may not be Tom Durkin, but he's way at the top of announcers in the game.

John is a friend, and about as good a co-worker as you could imagine having, so, yes, this nonsense annoys me. It also doesn't make it right. I for one will always be happy that John Imbriale, who gave his all to NY racing for the better part of 40 years, got a chance to have the big seat, which he richly deserved, for a reasonable period of time.

We do things wrong sometimes. This was not one of those times.

dilanesp
07-21-2022, 09:18 PM
To each their own, but I find it very sad that some of you don't see bigger pictures and can't appreciate John Imbriale, who may not be Tom Durkin, but he's way at the top of announcers in the game.

John is a friend, and about as good a co-worker as you could imagine having, so, yes, this nonsense annoys me. It also doesn't make it right. I for one will always be happy that John Imbriale, who gave his all to NY racing for the better part of 40 years, got a chance to have the big seat, which he richly deserved, for a reasonable period of time.

We do things wrong sometimes. This was not one of those times.

I don't have a problem with NYRA's decision whatsoever. They are saving lots of money and almost nobody goes to the track to hear the announcer. And if he is a nice guy so much the better!

But I suspect many race fans disagree that he is way at the top of announcers in the game.

the little guy
07-21-2022, 09:24 PM
I don't have a problem with NYRA's decision whatsoever. They are saving lots of money and almost nobody goes to the track to hear the announcer. And if he is a nice guy so much the better!

But I suspect many race fans disagree that he is way at the top of announcers in the game.

You have no idea whether or not NYRA is saving money. You are repeating internet BS coming from people that know ZERO about the situation.

It's amazing the stuff people repeat, as though it's fact, on the internet and how little it has to do with reality.

dilanesp
07-21-2022, 10:21 PM
You have no idea whether or not NYRA is saving money. You are repeating internet BS coming from people that know ZERO about the situation.

It's amazing the stuff people repeat, as though it's fact, on the internet and how little it has to do with reality.

If you want to tell us Collmus' salary and Imbriale's, you are welcome to. If they are equal, I will happily apologize to you.

On the other hand, if you don't want to tell us that, then you really have no basis to call "BS". Especially since it's perfectly obvious that:

1. NYRA did not want to pay the salary Collmus' stature commanded; and
2. Imbriale's market value is far less than Collmus, i.e., if your employer really did offer the same money to both of them, they are incompetent at business.

ranchwest
07-21-2022, 10:24 PM
I am thankful that we get to hear variety across the continent.

The best call I ever heard was by Tim Conway. He didn't convey squat about the race, but it was the funniest call I ever heard. Even the crustiest of race track veterans were rolling with laughter. Not something I want to hear every day, but give me something worth listening to.

I love some of the classic lines. One of my favorites was "and they're not going to catch him today."

dilanesp
07-21-2022, 10:26 PM
I am thankful that we get to hear variety across the continent.

The best call I ever heard was by Tim Conway. He didn't convey squat about the race, but it was the funniest call I ever heard. Even the crustiest of race track veterans were rolling with laughter. Not something I want to hear every day, but give me something worth listening to.

I love some of the classic lines. One of my favorites was "and they're not going to catch him today."

Frank Miramahdi's calls where he imitated all the other announcers were classics. He's now way up the ladder and at the point where he has to call the races seriously, but it would be fun for a minor track somewhere to hire him for a day so he could do one again.

ranchwest
07-21-2022, 10:30 PM
Frank Miramahdi's calls where he imitated all the other announcers were classics. He's now way up the ladder and at the point where he has to call the races seriously, but it would be fun for a minor track somewhere to hire him for a day so he could do one again.

That was probably great.

the little guy
07-21-2022, 11:15 PM
If you want to tell us Collmus' salary and Imbriale's, you are welcome to. If they are equal, I will happily apologize to you.

On the other hand, if you don't want to tell us that, then you really have no basis to call "BS". Especially since it's perfectly obvious that:

1. NYRA did not want to pay the salary Collmus' stature commanded; and
2. Imbriale's market value is far less than Collmus, i.e., if your employer really did offer the same money to both of them, they are incompetent at business.

You don't know what you're talking about. I get it, you play the authority here without facts all the time and think that's OK. You'll never change. I'm the idiot that keeps expecting you to get better.

What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Steve 'StatMan'
07-21-2022, 11:24 PM
You don't know what you're talking about. I get it, you play the authority here without facts all the time and think that's OK. You'll never change. I'm the idiot that keeps expecting you to get better.

A good start!

BarchCapper
07-21-2022, 11:52 PM
Give me Imbriale for as long as he wants to do the job. Some of his delivery evokes memories of Marshall Cassidy for me, and that's my highest praise. Trevor Denman's probably the only other announcer I've enjoyed hearing call a race as much as Cassidy.

As noted earlier in this thread, to each their own. It was that odd moment of maturity when I suddenly realized that my thinking had moved on so that not everyone has to agree with me that something is "the best", and I don't have to agree with somebody else's choice either. That "adult moment" probably came a little bit later to me than it should have!

iamt
07-22-2022, 12:03 AM

Didn't Frank stop the imitations when he missed a serious fall in one of the races he was doing at the time. An unfortunate event, but one time when the race isn't about the caller

dilanesp
07-22-2022, 01:44 AM
Didn't Frank stop the imitations when he missed a serious fall in one of the races he was doing at the time. An unfortunate event, but one time when the race isn't about the caller

That happened at one of the California fairs and he did at least one more after that. But it's certainly possible that this was a factor in him stopping. I would assume top tracks like Monmouth and Santa Anita don't want him messing around anyway.

dilanesp
07-22-2022, 01:45 AM

You have the facts. I'm waiting for you to actually tell us the two salaries. You must know them. If you don't reveal them, why should anyone here believe you when you say my statements are BS?

Come on Andy, tell us what you know! Educate us!

geroge.burns99
07-22-2022, 06:29 AM
I was also shocked to hear John I make the calls at Saratoga...

He is way from being a top caller , why do you think that he's been at NY all these years...because no one wants him...

NY always wants a top race caller ......

until now.....

I'm glad twitter is bashing him

NYRA should be ashamed!!

Brisk Urging
07-22-2022, 06:38 AM
Larry calls races for NBC of course it was a money isssue

the little guy
07-22-2022, 08:51 AM
You have the facts. I'm waiting for you to actually tell us the two salaries. You must know them. If you don't reveal them, why should anyone here believe you when you say my statements are BS?

Come on Andy, tell us what you know! Educate us!

Yes, that's what employees do, give out private information on internet message boards.

Let me get right on that.

You're such a great lawyer.

Bustin Stones
07-22-2022, 10:21 AM
While you're giving our info that will get you canned, could you also give out picks on bad horses intentionally and then laugh about it on air? That would be great. Thanks.

dilanesp
07-22-2022, 12:26 PM
Yes, that's what employees do, give out private information on internet message boards.

Let me get right on that.

You're such a great lawyer.

I obviously know you can't. My point is, since you can't , you shouldn't be accusing people making obvious points about their salaries of being full of it.

You really shouldn't make public statements, at all when you can't provide any details. Nobody believes you when you do.

the little guy
07-22-2022, 10:10 PM
I obviously know you can't. My point is, since you can't , you shouldn't be accusing people making obvious points about their salaries of being full of it.

You really shouldn't make public statements, at all when you can't provide any details. Nobody believes you when you do.

I can tell people you're full of it. Much better than them believing you when you're pretty much always wrong.

Don't worry, you're hardly the only one here.

JustRalph
07-22-2022, 10:19 PM
I think NYRA's employment of Imbriale proves my point about race-callers, which is even if fans enjoy listening to them, they aren't really important to the product. I assume NYRA's moving from Collmus to Imbriale made sense for them financially, and that's all that matters.

Having said that, Collmus may be the best I've ever heard.

And the other thing about this is you can be sentimental about particular voices. For instance, I understand some people don't really like Vic (including one person in this thread), but I associate his voice with Hollywood Park, wafting over what was often sadly a fairly empty grandstand after the last race and rattling off all the legendary horses who had raced there as part of his sign-offs. And I miss that, as I miss Hollywood Park.

Ditto. Some of the last memories of my departed dad were playing Hollywood park almost every card for a couple of years together. He was living with me after a lung cancer diagnosis. He was the one who told me about TVG right after he moved in. It was TVG’s first year.

I also remember Vic calling some of my greatest scores at Hollywood. Some fun it was…….

Sheffwed
07-23-2022, 06:52 AM
Johnny I is fine for Aqueduct, but that's about it

Really not cutting it

other recent great announcers include Dan Loiselle at Woodbine (very badly missed), Peter Berry at Mountaineer, and nice to hear Trevor at Del Mar yesterday, he sounds like he's not well, too bad, but that voice

the recent rise of Colonial handle can at least be partly attributed to the great job their announcing team is doing to be sure

I love Jess and Jason at Colonial, that's always a must watch start to finish, if announcers are important, there's a great example - they make TVG completely non relevant while they are on the air (much as the great Mark Patterson of course also does at the Mountain), and perhaps this is the future of horse racing TV, individual channels per track livestreamed

and the production at ASD has helped their turnover, regardless of the quality of the racing being unbelievably laughable

NYRA Live does a nice job to be sure, always appreciated - it's easy to laugh at Andy's silly picks (like that no chance Joseph O'Brien horse in the 1st at Saratoga yesterday, no way that horse would have the necessary speed to compete) but is that really useful "expertise" one has to ask or just a distraction - you don't get that at Colonial or the Mountain

geroge.burns99
07-23-2022, 07:02 AM
I have a question....

If John I is the goto guy now...

Who's backing him up?????

Bustin Stones
07-23-2022, 07:06 AM
I have a question....

I think it's Anthony Stabile.

geroge.burns99
07-23-2022, 07:48 AM
I think it's Anthony Stabile.

never heard him....any good?

Bustin Stones
07-23-2022, 08:22 AM
NYRA has the best horses, jockeys and trainers in America. You need an audio feed for this?

BarchCapper
07-23-2022, 08:29 AM
I have a question....

This past winter, with the race days at Parx not conflicting, Chris Griffin filled in a few times.

Parkview_Pirate
07-23-2022, 08:35 AM
NYRA has the best horses, jockeys and trainers in America. You need an audio feed for this?

Fair question. I was living in Lexington back in the days when Keeneland had no announcer. Mixed feelings on the topic. It was easy to get shut out if you weren't paying attention. It was easy to miss the start of the race if you were busy handicapping the next. It required being close to a TV, or up on the roof with binoculars to get a decent view going down the backstretch. A lot of fans missed out on exactly what was going on, unless they were a regular (yeah, I know, they were mostly Kentucky fans, but not all were up to speed on what's what in the sport of racing). A horse making a sharp close out of the pack wasn't always recognized by the crowd until they passed the finish line.

OTH, I liked the quiet, and the how the buzz of the crowd would pick up during the race, and not be drowned out by a yeller.

Keeneland has a great announcer now (Kurt Becker), and I don't think you'd find much support to go back to the "good old days". Not sure how that would play out at NYRA, but I'd guess the resistance would be there.

geroge.burns99
07-23-2022, 08:45 AM

Didn't fair well in Football , nor will in horse racing..

Need a "good" announcer.....not just an announcer

They actually make watching a race enjoyable....

But some try , like making you think a horse flying down the stretch

is gonna catch the leader and he losses by 4 lengths

:rolleyes:

ScottJ
07-23-2022, 09:32 AM
NYRA Live does a nice job to be sure, always appreciated - it's easy to laugh at Andy's silly picks (like that no chance Joseph O'Brien horse in the 1st at Saratoga yesterday, no way that horse would have the necessary speed to compete) but is that really useful "expertise" one has to ask or just a distraction - you don't get that at Colonial or the MountainLet's take a look at yesterday's Early Pick-5 (July 22nd).

The prices were $24.80, $40.60, $13.80, $19.20, and $21.00 for a $104,000.00 Pick-5. The first four races were in Andy's top-3 along with one on top.

As if that was not solid enough for you, he hands out the second place bomb in the nightcap.

Looking at these races just based on "how many were listed on top" completely misses the point.

the little guy
07-23-2022, 10:07 AM
NYRA Live does a nice job to be sure, always appreciated - it's easy to laugh at Andy's silly picks (like that no chance Joseph O'Brien horse in the 1st at Saratoga yesterday, no way that horse would have the necessary speed to compete) but is that really useful "expertise" one has to ask or just a distraction - you don't get that at Colonial or the Mountain

So telling people that a Euro that ran twice as a 2YO lost to one Group winner and another multiple Group winner is "silly"....after the race of course?

It's a good thing I care enough about the customers to give silly info like that.

I also picked the 11:1 winner second, but hey, don't let that get in the way of being a jerk.

dilanesp
07-23-2022, 10:08 AM
I can tell people you're full of it. Much better than them believing you when you're pretty much always wrong.

Don't worry, you're hardly the only one here.

Literally numerous people in this thread are calling BS on you on this.

Your loyalty to your friend is admirable. But you look terrible when you swear that he commands the same sort of money as the top announcer in the country, when it is obvious to everyone that he doesn't. We all know not to take you seriously on this.

the little guy
07-23-2022, 10:12 AM
Literally numerous people in this thread are calling BS on you on this.

But they all know better than me. I work at NYRA, know exactly what went down, but they know better than me.

I hope when you work as a lawyer you have a better defense for your clients.

Parkview_Pirate
07-23-2022, 10:23 AM

I'm hardly a card-carrying member in the Andy Serling fan club, but for you to bother to expend your second lifetime "contribution" to the forum with such a petty swipe really does say something about you.

And the word that comes to mind is "classless".

Sheffwed
07-23-2022, 10:35 AM
but there seems to be way more aligned insights coming from people like Patterson and the wonderful team at Colonial

here at NYRA we get opinions, which it feels like half the time are way off the mark

everyone's entitled to an opinion but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way

not sure what's "classless" about that

and I just discovered this site, sorry about that, thanks for the nice welcome

Bustin Stones
07-23-2022, 11:03 AM
The point isn't whether announcing adds value. It's about when and where it makes a business case for paying more for something better. You could have Kissinger in his monotone calling NYRA races. People wouldn't use that to switch over to CD or Tampa because the quality of the NYRA racing product insures the crowd will follow the racing. If you want to complain that the announcing at Mahoning Valley drives people away (example only), that might be a business case for spending more.

Robert Fischer
07-23-2022, 11:19 AM
imbriale (sp?) seems fine. Maybe he's making gaffes and losing professionalism, but I've never heard that. I also am not someone listening and judging to most calls. I maybe bet one NYRA race a day, and 50/50 chance that I hear hear the live call.

have no idea of the salary situation. The way the situation was framed in the media leads to the assumption that Collumus(sp?) wanted more/better and couldn't reach that. I don't actually know the factual situation.

I actually think it's neat that there exists a collmus(sp?) fanboy who also strongly 'reprsents' mountaineer/colonial to the extent of taking shots at the NYRA analysts. Interesting and novel.

therussmeister
07-23-2022, 07:12 PM
This past winter, with the race days at Parx not conflicting, Chris Griffin filled in a few times.

And sometimes Anthony Stabile.

cj
07-23-2022, 07:22 PM
And sometimes Anthony Stabile.

If Stabile filled in, it was very rarely. I know he did in prior years but that was cut way back if he called at all.

ScottJ
07-23-2022, 07:43 PM
If Stabile filled in, it was very rarely. I know he did in prior years but that was cut way back if he called at all.

[1] Anthony has called at Aqueduct during the past two winters and selected other spots. He has done well in that capacity.

[2] For those who cannot get enough of the Tom Durkin salary debate, the Times Union reported in 2014 that he received $440,000 for calling 100 days of NYRA action that year.

[3] For those who cannot get enough of the Larry Collmus salary debate, he was reported to receive in excess of $200,000 per year when joining NYRA. It was reported that the salary dispute during his contract renewal process was a core issue in resigning. He wanted numbers greater than $400,000 according to media sources however I do not have independent confirmation of that. If there were more issues behind the scenes, so be it.

[4] For those who cannot get enough of the John Imbriale salary debate, the 2020 lawsuit filed by Luis Granderson against NYRA cited the announcer's salary was in excess of $200,000 per year.

Why mention these figures? Well, firstly, none of them matter. These are all fine announcers who were paid (or not) at the equilibrium point of supply and demand.

Second, none of the salaries are indicative of rankings of these fine folks as much as people would like to draw that conclusion.

NYRA is blessed to have John Imbriale - not just for his announcing skills, but all of the roles he has filled in 30+ years with the organization. NYRA also has the ability to tap Anthony, Frank Mirahmadi, or Chris Griffin as needed and they are all fine. I would welcome Travis Stone to this lineup in a heartbeat. Name one other organization in the country that can claim this prestige.

geroge.burns99
07-23-2022, 08:26 PM
[1] Anthony has called at Aqueduct during the past two winters and selected other spots. He has done well in that capacity.

[2] For those who cannot get enough of the Tom Durkin salary debate, the Times Union reported in 2014 that he received $440,000 for calling 100 days of NYRA action that year.

[3] For those who cannot get enough of the Larry Collmus salary debate, he was reported to receive in excess of $200,000 per year when joining NYRA. It was reported that the salary dispute during his contract renewal process was a core issue in resigning. He wanted numbers greater than $400,000 according to media sources however I do not have independent confirmation of that. If there were more issues behind the scenes, so be it.

[4] For those who cannot get enough of the John Imbriale salary debate, the 2020 lawsuit filed by Luis Granderson against NYRA cited the announcer's salary was in excess of $200,000 per year.

Why mention these figures? Well, firstly, none of them matter. These are all fine announcers who were paid (or not) at the equilibrium point of supply and demand.

Second, none of the salaries are indicative of rankings of these fine folks as much as people would like to draw that conclusion.

NYRA is blessed to have John Imbriale - not just for his announcing skills, but all of the roles he has filled in 30+ years with the organization. NYRA also has the ability to tap Anthony, Frank Mirahmadi, or Chris Griffin as needed and they are all fine. I would welcome Travis Stone to this lineup in a heartbeat. Name one other organization in the country that can claim this prestige.

Are you his agent?

$w1fT
07-23-2022, 10:32 PM
The point isn't whether announcing adds value. It's about when and where it makes a business case for paying more for something better. You could have Kissinger in his monotone calling NYRA races. People wouldn't use that to switch over to CD or Tampa because the quality of the NYRA racing product insures the crowd will follow the racing. If you want to complain that the announcing at Mahoning Valley drives people away (example only), that might be a business case for spending more.

Man you seem to just accept anything. The best meet should have the best announcer. Period.

therussmeister
07-24-2022, 02:33 AM

I suspect he is a last minute substitute when there's not enough time for Chris Griffin to come in from Philadelphia.

geroge.burns99
07-24-2022, 06:01 AM
NYRA needs someone like Howie Rose .....

Wait for it ......3:26

Please don't tell me about the no-hitter that wasn't a no-hitter...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5FZI4NhBY

ScottJ
07-24-2022, 09:38 AM
Are you his agent?Obviously not, though I do want to point out one other very important business issue that has nothing to do with salaries.

This thread has discussed the importance of the "Voice of NYRA" and with their heavy investment(s) in the daily broadcasts (America's Day at the Races, Saratoga Live), you can easily argue that the "Voice" must be uniquely identified with the NYRA brand.

Which brings me back to the Collmus debate - not as an announcer, but as a business decision. If NYRA's goal was to have that uniquely identifiable voice, Collmus could not continue to be the "Voice of the Triple Crown", the "Voice of NBC", and so forth. If NYRA brand is tied to these broadcasts, one cannot have Collmus announcing the Derby, Preakness, or even Breeder's Cup at the expense of and in competition with your own product.

cj
07-24-2022, 10:59 AM
Which brings me back to the Collmus debate - not as an announcer, but as a business decision. If NYRA's goal was to have that uniquely identifiable voice, Collmus could not continue to be the "Voice of the Triple Crown", the "Voice of NBC", and so forth. If NYRA brand is tied to these broadcasts, one cannot have Collmus announcing the Derby, Preakness, or even Breeder's Cup at the expense of and in competition with your own product.

No way that had anything to do with it. Wouldn't you want your track announcer calling the biggest races on the national stage?

dilanesp
07-24-2022, 11:31 AM
No way that had anything to do with it. Wouldn't you want your track announcer calling the biggest races on the national stage?

This. Indeed, NYRA's first famous announcer, Fred Capposella, did network TV telecasts of the TC for many years, and NYRA deliberately hired Chic Anderson, Tom Durkin, and Larry Collmus when they already had high profile network gigs.

What's different is that current NYRA management decided they no longer want to pay the salary that an a-list announcer commands, so they parted ways with Collmus and elevated their backup announcer instead, and saved about $200,000 a year.

the little guy
07-24-2022, 06:49 PM
What's different is that current NYRA management decided they no longer want to pay the salary that an a-list announcer commands, so they parted ways with Collmus and elevated their backup announcer instead, and saved about $200,000 a year.

For the two or three of you that might still listen to this poster, there is ZERO truth to this.

JustRalph
07-24-2022, 08:21 PM
This. Indeed, NYRA's first famous announcer, Fred Capposella, did network TV telecasts of the TC for many years, and NYRA deliberately hired Chic Anderson, Tom Durkin, and Larry Collmus when they already had high profile network gigs.

200k? You really think they were 200k apart?

the little guy
07-24-2022, 10:05 PM
200k? You really think they were 200k apart?

He just makes shit up. He has no clue.

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2022, 10:36 PM
But you look terrible when you swear that he commands the same sort of money as the top announcer in the country,That never happened. Don't let that stop you though.

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2022, 10:37 PM
but there seems to be way more aligned insights coming from people like Patterson and the wonderful team at Colonial

here at NYRA we get opinions, which it feels like half the time are way off the mark

everyone's entitled to an opinion but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way

and I just discovered this site, sorry about that, thanks for the nice welcomeHow much is mountainman and CNL paying you?

mountainman
07-25-2022, 12:37 AM
How much is mountainman and CNL paying you?

You know me better. I do not take hidden shots at people. That's beneath me.

I want no part of this nonsense. None of it.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2022, 05:57 AM
You know me better. I do not take hidden shots at people. That's beneath me.

I want no part of this nonsense. None of it.Lighten up my dude. It was a joke.

Surely being in the public eye as long as you have, I would have thought your skin was a tad thicker.

Sheffwed
07-25-2022, 09:09 AM
How much is mountainman and CNL paying you?

Colonial handle is way up for a good reason, and Mark is a national treasure but carry on

the little guy
07-25-2022, 09:57 AM
Colonial handle is way up for a good reason, and Mark is a national treasure but carry on

Quite a resume in seven posts.

Do I have to tell Jessica you're using her to try to disparage me?

Sheffwed
07-25-2022, 10:16 AM
Quite a resume in seven posts.

Do I have to tell Jessica you're using her to try to disparage me?

just found this place, what do I know

the little guy
07-25-2022, 10:34 AM
just found this place, what do I know

You know how to lie...but thanks for the laugh

Sheffwed
07-25-2022, 10:36 AM
You know how to lie...but thanks for the laugh

yes I just found this place

and while you are oddly entertaining,
I don't understand how you remain on the air

mountainman
07-25-2022, 10:37 AM

I do appreciate your support, but Serling is a good analyst and highly regarded.
And I cringe when respected pros get pounded. It could so easily be me in the next thread.

Good luck to you, sir.

Sheffwed
07-25-2022, 10:40 AM
I do appreciate your support, but Serling is a good analyst and highly regarded.
And I cringe when respected pros get pounded. It could so easily be me in the next thread.

Good luck to you, sir.

thanks Mark, I like Andy actually, but why is he giving me a hard time?

if I want a hard time, I'll go to the old 2nd Avenue Deli

now excuse me I have to go bet the last race at Greyville

mountainman
07-25-2022, 10:59 AM
Surely being in the public eye as long as you have, I would have thought your skin was a tad thicker.

A work in progress. lol..

dilanesp
07-25-2022, 11:04 AM
That never happened. Don't let that stop you though.

That's exactly what Andy claims in this thread, contrary, as another poster said, to extensive reporting that Andy refuses to provide any facts to refute. Which is why nobody believes him. (Calling Imbriale a top announcer just makes him look even less credible.)

The only explanation that makes sense is that Andy can't stand anyone disparaging his friend, and the circumstances of his friend's elevation (which involved NYRA deliberately downgrading its announcer to save money), are embarrassing to him. So he pretends the story is false based on "inside information " he refuses to disclose.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2022, 11:11 AM
That's exactly what Andy claims in this thread, contrary, as another poster said, to extensive reporting that Andy refuses to provide any facts to refute. Which is why nobody believes him. (Calling Imbriale a top announcer just makes him look even less credible.)

The only explanation that makes sense is that Andy can't stand anyone disparaging his friend, and the circumstances of his friend's elevation (which involved NYRA deliberately downgrading its announcer to save money), are embarrassing to him. So he pretends the story is false based on "inside information " he refuses to disclose.You said he swore. He never swore on anything. You're a lawyer. You should be better then this.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2022, 11:13 AM
thanks Mark, I like Andy actually, but why is he giving me a hard time? You like Andy so much in fact, you can't understand why he remains on the air.

Here's a hint. He's the best of the best at what he does. Always has been.

Not a slight against anyone else. Somebody has to be the best though...and that's Andy.

the little guy
07-25-2022, 11:25 AM
You said he swore. He never swore on anything. You're a lawyer. You should be better then this.

Nobody believes me?

I think we can all agree MANY more people believe me than Dilanesp.

ubercapper
07-25-2022, 12:43 PM
This thread has confirmed one thing. Andy - you have the thickest skin of anyone I know. Well, maybe it's a tie with The Big A. I admire that.

I recently got blocked on Twitter by an owner for making the slightest comment explaining why something he wrote about HISA was factually incorrect and I stewed about it for a day. :)

Big K
07-25-2022, 05:58 PM
Imbriale and Andy Serling are two of the biggest of many great things about NY racing.

jimmyb
07-25-2022, 07:13 PM
Andy is superb at breaking down a race and articulating it in such a way that anyone can understand. JK, Maggie, Acacia, MIgs do a splendid job at NYRA. If you're a racing fan, Americas Day at the Races and talking horses IMO are must see.

Vic at Oaklawn, Mark at the Mountain, TVG, message boards ... as horse players we are blessed in this day and age.

foregoforever
07-25-2022, 07:53 PM
Calling Imbriale a top announcer just makes him look even less credible.

OK, I get it. You're a Collmus fan, and so you assume there was something sinister in his replacement. And you're generally quick to blame NYRA for many things, and you and Andy never agree on anything.

But trashing Imbriale is ridiculous. He's done a great job since taking over the top spot. He's always been a solid caller in the technical sense, but he's really stepped it up in the big races with excellent stretch calls. His voice conveys excitement without shouting, and he can throw in a bit of wit on occasion. I listen to him every race day, and I never get tired of hearing him. He truly is the "voice of NY racing".

He may not be your favorite, but describing him as a "backup" is just wrong, and he deserves better after 40-some years at NYRA.

dilanesp
07-26-2022, 10:48 AM
You like Andy so much in fact, you can't understand why he remains on the air.

Here's a hint. He's the best of the best at what he does. Always has been.

Not a slight against anyone else. Somebody has to be the best though...and that's Andy.

I have never disparaged Andy's talent both as a racing personality and an on-air handicapper. Indeed, I wish I were half the handicapper he is.

Where he strays is when he goes into "defend NYRA" mode in public fora about stuff he can't talk about.

dilanesp
07-26-2022, 10:51 AM
OK, I get it. You're a Collmus fan, and so you assume there was something sinister in his replacement. And you're generally quick to blame NYRA for many things, and you and Andy never agree on anything.

But trashing Imbriale is ridiculous. He's done a great job since taking over the top spot. He's always been a solid caller in the technical sense, but he's really stepped it up in the big races with excellent stretch calls. His voice conveys excitement without shouting, and he can throw in a bit of wit on occasion. I listen to him every race day, and I never get tired of hearing him. He truly is the "voice of NY racing".

He may not be your favorite, but describing him as a "backup" is just wrong, and he deserves better after 40-some years at NYRA.

He's not a top announcer. That's just reality.

Look, I was NOT a Durkin fan. But I would NEVER say he wasn't the top announcer in the country. How could I? He announced the Breeders' Cup and TC for decades, plus had the NYRA job, which is the biggest on-track job.

"40 years at NYRA" is actually confirmation that he was basically a career backup who got elevated.

At any rate, as stated earlier in the thread (and NOT by me), the circumstances of Imbriale's elevation were well reported, and Andy is simply dissembling about the whole thing because he can't stand that the real story got reported.

the little guy
07-26-2022, 10:57 AM
At any rate, as stated earlier in the thread (and NOT by me), the circumstances of Imbriale's elevation were well reported, and Andy is simply dissembling about the whole thing because he can't stand that the real story got reported.

I guess the people that say lawyers lie are correct.

Since these supposed circumstances you endlessly claim were "well reported" please find the ones that back up the cost cutting allegations, etc, and post them here.

Since I actually know for a fact what happened, I know you can't find a credible source to back this up.

The ball is in your court esquire.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2022, 12:10 PM
Other than some snowstorm or act of god, Stabile should never announce a race, but this Imbriale guy is fucking fine.

Why are you guys whining and picking on Imbriale?? wtf?

are you caught up in some Collmus drama topic? Talk about a freakin horse on Wednesday you clowns.

Talk about the the 1m chute or the bar or something.

you got silks and saddle numbers and imbriale does a decent enough job in a NY accent wtf more do u need

weirdos

who is a horse you like on Wednesdays' card??

cj
07-26-2022, 12:34 PM
Other than some snowstorm or act of god, Stabile should never announce a race, but this Imbriale guy is *$%^ fine.

are you caught up in some Collmus drama topic? Talk about a freakin horse on Wednesday you clowns.

you got silks and saddle numbers and imbriale does a decent enough job in a NY accent wtf more do u need

weirdos

Whoa, simmer down a little man. Even NYPD Blue didn't allow the f-bomb.

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2022, 12:39 PM
Other than some snowstorm or act of god, Stabile should never announce a race, but this Imbriale guy is fucking fine.

weirdos

who is a horse you like on Wednesdays' card??https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/68917545.jpg

Millpond68
07-26-2022, 02:27 PM
He is one of the few announcers I do not hit the mute button on.

Pigpen
07-26-2022, 03:01 PM
Enjoy hearing Johnny I call the races. Liked him filling in when I was going to the OTB in the 90s

geroge.burns99
07-26-2022, 03:37 PM

weirdos

Not picking on John I personally

IT fu$%ing NYRA going cheap ....

They could have waited till Belmont to use John again....

But NO...they had to do this with the best racing season in New York ...Saratoga

:rant:

mountainman
07-26-2022, 04:17 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/68917545.jpg

Love that dude..by far my fave GOT character. Here's a thought, while he professed to fillow the "god of many faces", i suspect he WAS the god of many faces.

Inner Dirt
07-26-2022, 05:22 PM
Big fan of Imbriale, but haven't heard him in a while, last time probably when Aqueduct still had the winter meet on the Inner Dirt track. I will go listen to some Saratoga calls to check on him.

Jack950
07-26-2022, 05:55 PM
I pay a lot of attention to track announcers and it's truly a big reason why I choose to follow certain tracks. In my estimation, Johnny I has definitely evolved since taking over full time, getting more confident in his calls, building more rhythm, really representing the brand of NYRA and adding his own unique take.

That being said, I am huge fan of Larry and am sad we don't get to hear him more. I wish he and NYRA could have gotten a deal done. I think his voice and cadence is great. On the subject of voice, I actually also really like John Lies, for whom I think people have mixed opinions.

Tom Durkin was a fantastic personality and being at his call of the 2009 Woodward is one of the best live sports moments I've ever been at, even if he did call her "Rachel Alexander" a few times. :) Rachel did, indeed, raise the rafters at the Spa that day.

I also like Lies calls great low key delivery.

CaptainObvious
07-26-2022, 08:14 PM
I also like Lies calls great low key delivery.

If Lies was any more low key, rigor mortis would set in.

Inner Dirt
07-26-2022, 08:22 PM
Just watched Saturday's replays, Imbriale seems fine to me.

Johnny V
07-27-2022, 08:55 AM
I like him also. Good race caller IMO. I don't need all the drama. just the facts, ma'am.

dilanesp
07-27-2022, 10:19 AM
If Lies was any more low key, rigor mortis would set in.

Lies would make a great golf announcer!

(Having said that, he does a lot of racetrack TV feeds when he isn't calling races, and he's very good at that.)

Brisk Urging
07-27-2022, 10:26 AM
Just watched Saturday's replays, Imbriale seems fine to me.
HUh??

Have you watch since day 1?

v j stauffer
07-27-2022, 11:55 AM
HUh??

IMO John Imbriale is a very good announcer and well placed as the voice of NYRA.

It takes a certain "type" of race call to describe races the world is watching, and he possess that talent.

As an aside. Both Larry Collmus and Tom Durkin have told me the positioning of the announcer's booth at Saratoga is extraordinarily difficult.

I've never been in it myself. But I hear there are points on the clubhouse turn that are blocked from view out the windows.

And the booth is very very low compared to others making it extremely difficult to see outside horses when stacked up around the far turn. And depth perception is tough when horses rally on the outside through the stretch.

I experienced something like that at Gulfstream when the new grandstand was being built. We were all, me, Stewards, Placing, Pan camera very close to the outside rail and less than 30 feet off the ground. Nightmare!

When John man's the mic NYRA sounds like NYRA.

As a fan that's all I can ask for.

I think he's doing an EXCELLENT job!

dilanesp
07-27-2022, 12:21 PM
I believe the stuff about the positioning of the announcer's booth at Saratoga. You can look up from the grandstand and see that it is too low and has obstructed views.

Inner Dirt
07-27-2022, 01:28 PM
HUh??

Only watched one card, Saratoga has never been kind to my wallet, also with my cell internet during peak hours videos take forever to load, it seemed lowering the resolution didn't work as they stayed at HD. I just watched to get an opinion on John Imbriale 2022, I figured since I believe he is no longer a spring chicken his skills could have declined, I think he is still fine.

I do think what track announcers a person likes is just sometimes a personal preference. I always liked Alan Buchdahl, yet he never seemed to get any long term work, I first heard him as the back up at Santa Anita in the late 70's early 80's.

Brisk Urging
07-27-2022, 01:44 PM
Only watched one card, Saratoga has never been kind to my wallet, also with my cell internet during peak hours videos take forever to load, it seemed lowering the resolution didn't work as they stayed at HD. I just watched to get an opinion on John Imbriale 2022, I figured since I believe he is no longer a spring chicken his skills could have declined, I think he is still fine.

I do think what track announcers a person likes is just sometimes a personal preference. I always liked Alan Buchdahl, yet he never seemed to get any long term work, I first heard him as the back up at Santa Anita in the late 70's early 80's.

Travis Stone should be calling this meet.

dilanesp
07-27-2022, 03:01 PM

As I recall, Buchdahl was the announcer at Oak Tree and started very, very young in the mid-1970's. He also backed up Harry Henson at Hollywood Park. At the time, SA and Hollywood very much saw themselves as competitors, and around Fall 1982, Hollywood Park fired Henson and offered the job to Buchdahl, who then worked the 1982 Oak Tree season while Oak Tree looked for a new announcer. They found what they were looking for in a young announcer from South Africa named Trevor Denman, who came in to work the 1983 Oak Tree meeting and the rest was history.

But Marje Everett (the owner of Hollywood Park at the time), I guess, decided she didn't like Buchdahl so well and replaced him with Jim Byers. After that, Buchdahl has worked on and off as a racecaller but never on as big a stage as he had at Oak Tree and Hollywood Park (he called several of John Henry's races, for instance, and Landaluce's last two starts).

FWIW, I remember Santa Anita featured Buchdahl on the interview program it used to run on KDOC-56 locally sometime in the late 1980's, and he said he actually found day-to-day race calling something of a grind, though he missed calling the really big races. So maybe that has something to do with him not having a long-term gig as a racecaller- you really have to love the day to day grind.

Inner Dirt
07-27-2022, 03:23 PM
As I recall, Buchdahl was the announcer at Oak Tree and started very, very young in the mid-1970's. He also backed up Harry Henson at Hollywood Park. At the time, SA and Hollywood very much saw themselves as competitors, and around Fall 1982, Hollywood Park fired Henson and offered the job to Buchdahl, who then worked the 1982 Oak Tree season while Oak Tree looked for a new announcer. They found what they were looking for in a young announcer from South Africa named Trevor Denman, who came in to work the 1983 Oak Tree meeting and the rest was history.

But Marje Everett (the owner of Hollywood Park at the time), I guess, decided she didn't like Buchdahl so well and replaced him with Jim Byers. After that, Buchdahl has worked on and off as a racecaller but never on as big a stage as he had at Oak Tree and Hollywood Park (he called several of John Henry's races, for instance, and Landaluce's last two starts).

FWIW, I remember Santa Anita featured Buchdahl on the interview program it used to run on KDOC-56 locally sometime in the late 1980's, and he said he actually found day-to-day race calling something of a grind, though he missed calling the really big races. So maybe that has something to do with him not having a long-term gig as a racecaller- you really have to love the day to day grind.

Thanks, your memory is better than mine, I remember Alan as more of a back up at Santa Anita, which I first went to in 1979. Do you remember the other callers at that time before Denman came to SA? I did not know Henson was fired by Hollywood Park, I thought he retired. I remember KDOC, mostly for the replays. From 1979-1983 I lived in Hemet out of range of KDOC, but I had an old 1950's radio that could pick up 870am KIEV and listened to Bill Garr. Oh, the memories.

dilanesp
07-27-2022, 05:25 PM
Thanks, your memory is better than mine, I remember Alan as more of a back up at Santa Anita, which I first went to in 1979. Do you remember the other callers at that time before Denman came to SA? I did not know Henson was fired by Hollywood Park, I thought he retired. I remember KDOC, mostly for the replays. From 1979-1983 I lived in Hemet out of range of KDOC, but I had an old 1950's radio that could pick up 870am KIEV and listened to Bill Garr. Oh, the memories.

Other announcers back then were Terry Gilligan (Joe Hernandez's backup, who became the Santa Anita and Oak Tree announcer pre-Buchdahl, and later the Los Al announcer), Chic Anderson (hired by Santa Anita after they let Gilligan go; he didn't really gel here and eventually left for NYRA), Dave Johnson (picked up by Santa Anita in 1978 after Anderson left for NY; left after 1984 winter season and was replaced by Trevor), and Jim Byers (who backed up Johnson and then was hired as the Hollywood Park announcer after Buchdahl; also called Los Al harness).

Inner Dirt
07-27-2022, 07:06 PM
Other announcers back then were Terry Gilligan (Joe Hernandez's backup, who became the Santa Anita and Oak Tree announcer pre-Buchdahl, and later the Los Al announcer), Chic Anderson (hired by Santa Anita after they let Gilligan go; he didn't really gel here and eventually left for NYRA), Dave Johnson (picked up by Santa Anita in 1978 after Anderson left for NY; left after 1984 winter season and was replaced by Trevor), and Jim Byers (who backed up Johnson and then was hired as the Hollywood Park announcer after Buchdahl; also called Los Al harness).

Thanks, I thought I remember Dave Johnson at SA, but I did some brief research and could not find any evidence of that, figured I wasn't recalling things correctly. I thought Joe Alto called Los Al harness.

dilanesp
07-27-2022, 07:51 PM
Thanks, I thought I remember Dave Johnson at SA, but I did some brief research and could not find any evidence of that, figured I wasn't recalling things correctly. I thought Joe Alto called Los Al harness.

Dave Johnson's greatest moment at Santa Anita:

https://youtu.be/fZ9G_dA5KcU

Inner Dirt
07-27-2022, 09:24 PM
Every time I hear Dave Johnson's voice for that era I hear Spectacular Bid and Flying Paster. As a rat on a budget then I always bet on Paster and lost.

CheckMark
07-27-2022, 09:36 PM
Travis Stone should be calling this meet.

Would be kind of weird hearing his voice doing Saratoga imo but good choice no doubt

v j stauffer
07-27-2022, 11:26 PM

HOLLYWOOD PARK DID NOT FIRE HARRY HENSON

dilanesp
07-28-2022, 02:29 AM
HOLLYWOOD PARK DID NOT FIRE HARRY HENSON

Yes, Vic, Marje Everett definitely did fire Henson, at least in the sense that he was "involuntarily retired". At the time, my family was quite friendly with Jim Healy, who had his radio show on KLAC (at the time) and who was close to Everett, so we heard the full story. Everett got it in her head that the track needed a "fresh voice", and basically forced him out after the 1982 summer meet. It may have been announced as a retirement, but Everett had told him he had to go. He still wanted to call races and he kept working at Del Mar in 1982 and 1983. He was apparently extremely pissed at Everett about this.

(BTW, this wasn't the first conflict between Everett and Henson: Everett also had significant disputes with Henson when her father was running the tracks in Chicago. This is talked about in Phil Georgeff's biography, because Everett's dispute with Henson in Chicago led to Georgeff getting the job at Arlington Park.)

When RD Hubbard later took over the track, he hated Marje Everett too (he had waged a years long proxy fight to force her out because he thought she was running the track into the ground). One of the things he did to poke Marje in the eye was naming a race after Harry Henson, which is how we got the Harry Henson Stakes which you called a number of renewals of.

So yes, Harry was, shall we say, let go by Hollywood Park after calling the races there for 24 years and attaining iconic status.

v j stauffer
07-28-2022, 11:33 AM
Yes, Vic, Marje Everett definitely did fire Henson, at least in the sense that he was "involuntarily retired". At the time, my family was quite friendly with Jim Healy, who had his radio show on KLAC (at the time) and who was close to Everett, so we heard the full story. Everett got it in her head that the track needed a "fresh voice", and basically forced him out after the 1982 summer meet. It may have been announced as a retirement, but Everett had told him he had to go. He still wanted to call races and he kept working at Del Mar in 1982 and 1983. He was apparently extremely pissed at Everett about this.

(BTW, this wasn't the first conflict between Everett and Henson: Everett also had significant disputes with Henson when her father was running the tracks in Chicago. This is talked about in Phil Georgeff's biography, because Everett's dispute with Henson in Chicago led to Georgeff getting the job at Arlington Park.)

When RD Hubbard later took over the track, he hated Marje Everett too (he had waged a years long proxy fight to force her out because he thought she was running the track into the ground). One of the things he did to poke Marje in the eye was naming a race after Harry Henson, which is how we got the Harry Henson Stakes which you called a number of renewals of.

So yes, Harry was, shall we say, let go by Hollywood Park after calling the races there for 24 years and attaining iconic status.

Starting in 1985 I would drive back and forth across the Country to various jobs. I always made it a point, even if it was well out of my way, to go through El Paso so I could visit Harry. Without his help I may have never made it as an announcer.

He never made it sound as though he had been forced out. I do know his eyesight was badly failing. He hated sounding lost, especially for races run at dusk. The lighting at HP was terrible then and frankly never got any better.

I loved everything about Friday night racing there except for the lights. Especially when they ran on the turf. Every silk looked brown when they were running into the far turn.

I know Jim Healy and Marge were very close. But I'm sure you'll agree Healy never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I'll NEVER concede that Harry was fired.

dilanesp
07-28-2022, 11:46 AM
Starting in 1985 I would drive back and forth across the Country to various jobs. I always made it a point, even if it was well out of my way, to go through El Paso so I could visit Harry. Without his help I may have never made it as an announcer.

He never made it sound as though he had been forced out. I do know his eyesight was badly failing. He hated sounding lost, especially for races run at dusk. The lighting at HP was terrible then and frankly never got any better.

I loved everything about Friday night racing there except for the lights. Especially when they ran on the turf. Every silk looked brown when they were running into the far turn.

I know Jim Healy and Marge were very close. But I'm sure you'll agree Healy never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I'll NEVER concede that Harry was fired.

One thing I agree with you on here was Hollywood Park's lighting. I never understood it- horses running in and out of the darkness. Compared to most tracks that run at night, it was just awful. Badly designed.

$w1fT
07-28-2022, 03:11 PM
Race 4 Thursday Saratoga. John didn’t see the 3 passing the 6 until he went by.

Inner Dirt
07-28-2022, 03:18 PM
Jim Healy, I though he was about as funny as a heart attack. Of course my opinion was in the minority as he was on the air for a long time.

Parkview_Pirate
07-29-2022, 10:57 PM

and I just discovered this site, sorry about that, thanks for the nice welcome

Well, allow me to spell out the meaning of classless for you. I searched the Internet wide and far, and do NOT see any Sheffwed public picks available for post race critique. I could not not find any other pinhead claiming they had found the one way, the truth and the light by following the picks of the public handicappers from Colonial.

The fact you can't differentiate opinion from bullshit from juvenile and petty whining just confirms that your lack of class, ergo classless.

How 'bout some value add to the conversation? All we've seen from you is a swipe (and a petty one at that) about a Euro that didn't run as previous efforts indicated. Well, that's quite a deep and insightful analysis. (/sarc) Can you come back to us on Breeder's Cup weekend with those fine talents on Breeder's Cup weekend and tell us which ones will run, and which ones won't?

And don't think the newbie card buys you a pass - if you're a Richard-head, it's not hard to figure out.

And your welcome. As in, welcome to the site, nitwit.

Sheffwed
07-30-2022, 08:23 AM
Well, allow me to spell out the meaning of classless for you. I searched the Internet wide and far, and do NOT see any Sheffwed public picks available for post race critique. I could not not find any other pinhead claiming they had found the one way, the truth and the light by following the picks of the public handicappers from Colonial.

The fact you can't differentiate opinion from bullshit from juvenile and petty whining just confirms that your lack of class, ergo classless.

How 'bout some value add to the conversation? All we've seen from you is a swipe (and a petty one at that) about a Euro that didn't run as previous efforts indicated. Well, that's quite a deep and insightful analysis. (/sarc) Can you come back to us on Breeder's Cup weekend with those fine talents on Breeder's Cup weekend and tell us which ones will run, and which ones won't?

And don't think the newbie card buys you a pass - if you're a Richard-head, it's not hard to figure out.

And your welcome. As in, welcome to the site, nitwit.

yes, a European horse in a North American turf sprint is a lock...

and I've made quite a bit of money over the years on Europeans in longer turf races, including the Arlington Million

sure, I'll give you my free tips on longshot Europeans...

Inner Dirt
08-01-2022, 08:26 PM
I think being a race caller is a very difficult job. I think the booth at Fairplex Park was in a perfect spot at the top of the grandstands, yet Trevor Denman in his prime sounded horrible calling the quarter horse races because he was out of his element. He was the only racing celebrity I ever spoke to in close proximity, he was on a high speed bathroom run and we almost crashed into each other. I just said he was the greatest and he said, thank you sir, he went to the can and I went to the beer stand. I didn't know he was such a small man till I almost ran over him. I never researched his past, did he used to ride?

As for Hollywood Park, I started going there during the last couple years of Harry Henson, no one seemed a good fit for that place after Harry until Vic came along. Don't get a big head Vic, I give you a distant second to the legendary Harry Henson. You did beat out everyone else, even Luke Kruytbosch, that is saying something.

BarchCapper
08-01-2022, 08:29 PM
I think being a race caller is a very difficult job. I think the booth at Fairplex Park was in a perfect spot at the top of the grandstands, yet Trevor Denman in his prime sounded horrible calling the quarter horse races because he was out of his element. He was the only racing celebrity I ever spoke to in close proximity, he was on a high speed bathroom run and we almost crashed into each other. I just said he was the greatest and he said, thank you sir, he went to the can and I went to the beer stand. I didn't know he was such a small man till I almost ran over him. I never researched his past, did he used to ride?

From his Wikipedia page, for what it's worth:

"A part-time jockey and exercise rider, he started as a race caller in his native South Africa in 1971 at age 18."

craigbraddick
08-02-2022, 01:26 PM
So Harry Henson was way before my time in US racing. But from the few race calls I have heard of his, it would appear his calling style was "Name, margin, name, margin, name, margin. Essentially the verbal version of a chart call..

Listen to Peter O'Sullevan in the UK or Bert Bryant in Australia from the same era and they were streets ahead in description, phraseology, picking up horses making a move on far bigger tracks and often with far more horses.

As someone brought up overseas, what am I not understanding about Harry Henson was so great? Genuine question because clearly I was influenced by others in my formative years.

Inner Dirt
08-02-2022, 02:22 PM
Harry Henson's voice was a perfect fit for race calling. I always thought Trevor in his prime was unmatched in his skill, but for myself and my race going friends it took a while to get used to his accent. I think the sound of someone's voice makes a big difference in likability.

dilanesp
08-02-2022, 03:02 PM
So Harry Henson was way before my time in US racing. But from the few race calls I have heard of his, it would appear his calling style was "Name, margin, name, margin, name, margin. Essentially the verbal version of a chart call..

Listen to Peter O'Sullevan in the UK or Bert Bryant in Australia from the same era and they were streets ahead in description, phraseology, picking up horses making a move on far bigger tracks and often with far more horses.

As someone brought up overseas, what am I not understanding about Harry Henson was so great? Genuine question because clearly I was influenced by others in my formative years.

Henson had a distinctive voice and added a great deal of drama to big moves and stretch duels.

Having said that, he was a product of his time. Henson started in the 1940's, at a time when racecalling in the US was in its infancy and when most tracks wanted a straight call with no commentary. (Clem Mccarthy worked on the radio and had more freedom in his call.)

Denman and Durkin changed things in the 1980's , and as a result, announcers now have far more freedom. But judged by the standards of his time, Henson was very good.

craigbraddick
08-02-2022, 05:38 PM
That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

I have in my archive a very rare live radio broadcast of the 1934 Kentucky Derby that was transmitted live on the BBC National Program in the UK at Midnight on May 6, 1934 from the NBC feed. I think it is Clem McCarthy and he was surprisingly more descriptive in his call than I would associate with American race callers who I have heard from back in the day. Sadly, I am not allowed to put it online (one of the drawbacks of having access to a vast archive) but the NBC Radio Host sounds like a long lost cousin of Ted Kennedy and uses some "colorful words" when setting the scene!

BarchCapper
08-02-2022, 05:44 PM
Henson had a distinctive voice and added a great deal of drama to big moves and stretch duels.

Having said that, he was a product of his time. Henson started in the 1940's, at a time when racecalling in the US was in its infancy and when most tracks wanted a straight call with no commentary. (Clem Mccarthy worked on the radio and had more freedom in his call.)

Denman and Durkin changed things in the 1980's , and as a result, announcers now have far more freedom. But judged by the standards of his time, Henson was very good.

And for many of us who grew up in the “you only get your local track” age, the announcer you had when you fell in love with the sport is the best. You weren’t comparing them with 15-20 others every day, so your one announcer was what racing was supposed to sound like.

classhandicapper
08-02-2022, 06:13 PM
Track announcers have a ridiculously difficult job. I've been watching races for between 45 and 50 years and could never do their job. IMO John Imbriale does a fine job and has a good voice for the job too. I don't understand why this is such a long thread and I'm not going to read it to find out.

dilanesp
08-02-2022, 07:14 PM
That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

I have in my archive a very rare live radio broadcast of the 1934 Kentucky Derby that was transmitted live on the BBC National Program in the UK at Midnight on May 6, 1934 from the NBC feed. I think it is Clem McCarthy and he was surprisingly more descriptive in his call than I would associate with American race callers who I have heard from back in the day. Sadly, I am not allowed to put it online (one of the drawbacks of having access to a vast archive) but the NBC Radio Host sounds like a long lost cousin of Ted Kennedy and uses some "colorful words" when setting the scene!

They don't have 1934 here, but this page has a big sampling of old Derby calls, so you can hear what McCarthy sounded like.

http://www.lkyradio.com/WHASKentuckyDerby.htm

dilanesp
08-02-2022, 07:15 PM
And for many of us who grew up in the “you only get your local track” age, the announcer you had when you fell in love with the sport is the best. You weren’t comparing them with 15-20 others every day, so your one announcer was what racing was supposed to sound like.

Absolutely, whoever you heard when you first went to the track is often your favorite. I have a strong fondness for Dave Johnson, because I remember his voice booming "and down the stretch they come" out of the Santa Anita speakers when I was a kid.

Inner Dirt
08-02-2022, 07:16 PM
Bobby Doyle at Los Al was the first announcer I heard, my step dad liked the quarter horse races. Then much later heard Dave Johnson at Santa Anita, the third one was Henson at Hollywood Park. I don't recall who called them at the Pomona Fair back then.

dilanesp
08-02-2022, 07:46 PM
Bobby Doyle at Los Al was the first announcer I heard, my step dad liked the quarter horse races. Then much later heard Dave Johnson at Santa Anita, the third one was Henson at Hollywood Park. I don't recall who called them at the Pomona Fair back then.

Bobby Doyle! "They're running!"

Dick Riley called the Pomona Fair (and in fact, he used to announce all the CARF fairs except Ferndale). He was succeeded by Ralph Siraco, and then by Trevor, who called them until Fairplex's demise as a horse racing facility.

v j stauffer
08-03-2022, 12:57 PM

As for Hollywood Park, I started going there during the last couple years of Harry Henson, no one seemed a good fit for that place after Harry until Vic came along. Don't get a big head Vic, I give you a distant second to the legendary Harry Henson. You did beat out everyone else, even Luke Kruytbosch, that is saying something.

C'mon Dilan. You already know I have a big head.

Harry is also my all time favorite announcer. It was his calls at Del Mar that helped me fall in love with our game.

He was also extremely instrumental in helping me chase my dream of becoming a race caller.

When Harry was in his prime announcing was extremely different.

This was long before the advent of simulcasting and guys like Harry, Joe Hernandez and Chic Anderson were heard only over the on-track PA.

Harry could inspire passion with inflection, tone and intensity. I can assure you it never sounded like a chart was being called.

Many announcers back in those days were very hamstrung by management. They were told not to call any close finishes. Some even had to stop their call at the sixteenth pole.

When simulcasting became the rage Tom and Trevor changed race calling forever.

Now with 90% of the people who bet the race watching on TV they became more a combination of play by play and analyst than booming over a sound system.

BTW when speaking of iconic announcers. So sad to hear of the passing of Vin Scully. Like Harry with horse racing, it was Vin who helped me fall in love with baseball.

I grew up in Southern California listening to so many greats.

How's this for a roster....

VIN SCULLY
DICK ENBERG
CHICK HEARN
BOB MILLER

Even DICK LANE who called both wrestling and roller derby.

RIP VIN

v j stauffer
08-03-2022, 12:58 PM
Bobby Doyle! "They're running!"

Dick Riley called the Pomona Fair (and in fact, he used to announce all the CARF fairs except Ferndale). He was succeeded by Ralph Siraco, and then by Trevor, who called them until Fairplex's demise as a horse racing facility.

Yep Ferndale was the exclusive domain of the GREAT GUNNER FROINES.

Howdy Pardner!!

dilanesp
08-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Yep Ferndale was the exclusive domain of the GREAT GUNNER FROINES.

Howdy Pardner!!

You and I may be the only people here who actually heard Gunnar Friones call a race.... It was... something.

v j stauffer
08-03-2022, 01:20 PM
You and I may be the only people here who actually heard Gunnar Friones call a race.... It was... something.

An excellent way to describe his calls. SOMETHING INDEED.

craigbraddick
08-03-2022, 02:11 PM
An article on the aforementioned Gunnar Froines.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/6780046/gunnar-froines-horse-race-announcer/

When I am calling Ferndale in 2 weeks time, I wonder if i will be in the same position in the press box he is?

Craig

Karakorum Kabbage
08-05-2022, 05:46 PM
Imbriale dropped the ball in the 5th today at SAR when the longshot :9: experienced an extremely troubled trip and was eventually eased on the backstretch. Imbriale failed to notice or acknowledge that the :9: had been eased up and was out of the race.

The SAR live crew also failed to mention anything about the :9: after the fact.

Nobody gives a shit about 40-1 shots :D :p

geroge.burns99
08-05-2022, 06:30 PM
Some Race Callers can make a mistake look so smooth that most won't notice...

With this guy , you know when he screws up....he hesitates gets flustered, etc etc...

and then I shake my head when I think about this thread and all the supporters...

feelup1963
08-05-2022, 06:34 PM
LARRY COLLMUS IS SO VERY OVER RATED NOT BECAUSE YOU WAS LUCKY TO CALL TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS MAKES YOU A GOOD RACE CALLER!!! DURKIN WAS UNLUCKY IT DID NOT HAPPEN IN HIS RACE CALLING ERA

Inner Dirt
08-05-2022, 11:33 PM
I think anyone mentioning a little know race caller needs to dig up a link to one of their calls. Also do any of you SoCal racing encyclopedias like Vic and Dilan remember a trainer at Los Al that had the golden touch with 870 yard horses winning $20k claimers with horses he claimed for as little as $2k. They would start climbing the ladder after he claimed them and start descending quickly as soon as he lost them. I think it was sometime in the 80's. I don't recall his name, it was finally found he was giving the poor things heroin. I don't remember his name, nor where I read it. It had to be in the Herald Examiner, LA Times, OC Register or the Racing Form. I was pissed when the Herald went out of business.

Parkview_Pirate
08-06-2022, 02:18 AM
yes, a European horse in a North American turf sprint is a lock...

and I've made quite a bit of money over the years on Europeans in longer turf races, including the Arlington Million

sure, I'll give you my free tips on longshot Europeans...

Well, then post them Einstein. Better yet, post your NYRA card picks as Talking Horses wraps up, and let's see how you compare to Serling and the Big A across a card or two. Or at least the races with Euros.

Until then, you're just blowing hot air.

geroge.burns99
08-06-2022, 01:31 PM
Tell me if I'm wrong.....

Watch and " LISTEN " to stretch call of Race 2.......Sat 8/6

He called the 5 in front and the 4 was battling back but 4 was already 3 lengths in front...

Hes so f*&king bad.....:puke:

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2022, 01:34 PM
At least he knows how to spell George.

geroge.burns99
08-06-2022, 01:49 PM
At least he knows how to spell George.

thats a different part of the brain.....:headbanger:

geroge.burns99
08-06-2022, 01:50 PM
yes....I do have one.....

RunDustyRun
08-06-2022, 02:00 PM
He really is terrible...

Sheffwed
08-06-2022, 05:59 PM
He really is terrible...

Johnny I has been terrible today, blowing call after call, over his head

Meanwhile Peter Berry calls a great WV Derby, he just sits there and no one ever gives him any real respect, and of course there are others mentioned earlier in this thread

I don't get it

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2022, 06:16 PM
I don't get itI get it

craigbraddick
08-06-2022, 06:29 PM
I think Peter Berry gets a lot of respect in the industry. He was the first person to let me call a race in the USA back in 2008 and we still speak often more than once a week.

Peter and I have supported each other through some of life's challenges and indeed just last week he helped me with an aspect of race calling prep I needed urgent help with.

Because of the support and friendship I have had and continue to receive from Peter Berry, Ed Burgart Peter Aiello and John G. Dooley, I have rebuilt my career from ground zero to where I now call 175 plus days per year. I do not know them as well, but Michael Wrona and Robert Geller have always been there for advice as well

That said think my race calls now can compare well to any race caller in the US.

It has taken a lot of work in my part to get here but it would not have happened if it was not the gentlemen I mentioned above who believed in me when no-one else would and at a time when I had zero self belief.

I shall never be able to thank them enough.

Craig.

thespaah
08-06-2022, 06:36 PM

Progress.

Sheffwed
08-06-2022, 06:47 PM
I get it

you get it all right, you get John Imbriale calling races at America's primary meeting

Tom
08-06-2022, 06:56 PM
My 2 cents.

The video at Toga is worse than terrible.
I have never such bad production. The angles are amaturish at best.
I think Johnny I is calling good and we can't see what is really happening.

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2022, 07:06 PM
you get it all right, you get John Imbriale calling races at America's primary meetingUnless Tom Durkin is back calling races at NYRA in his prime, announcers don't mean much of anything to me...at all...period

Durkin was the best of the best IMO...haven't seen anyone else who could touch him with a ten foot pole...so...it doesn't really matter to me who is calling races at NYRA.

Johnny I, in my opinion, doesn't make or break anything for me. He's been with NYRA FOREVER...and I mean forever...so good for him...glad NYRA is giving him the chance to be the top dog at the top meet these past couple of seasons.

He deserves it for his loyalty all these years.

And again, IMO, he's good enough and doesn't deserve some of the comments in this thread.

Especially considering there is no Tom Durkin out there who could replace him.

Jeff P
08-06-2022, 07:09 PM
Tell me if I'm wrong.....

Watch and " LISTEN " to stretch call of Race 2.......Sat 8/6

He called the 5 in front and the 4 was battling back but 4 was already 3 lengths in front...

Hes so f*&king bad.....:puke:

I noticed that too.

That said --

Based on the calls of a lot of different announcers at a lot of different tracks over a lot of years - specifically while watching Roberts track video offered by ADWs:

I suspect the video part of the track signal and the soundtrack of the announcer's voice aren't always synchronized with each other.

Most of the time I notice this, it's because the announcer is already calling the name of the race winner as if he has already seen the horses cross the wire.

But the video part of the track signal is still showing the horses a little past the sixteenth pole.

And every once in a blue moon it's the other way around.

This is something I notice several times a week when watching Roberts track video delivered by ADWs.

Yet it's something I have never once noticed when attending the races live.

I noticed it today because I bet #5 MOSTLY HARMLESS (the horse John Imbriale called in front in the upper stretch) at a point in time when the video part of the Roberts track signal was clearly showing #4 SHE CAUGHT MY EYE as having already made the lead.

I suspect (but can't prove from 3000 miles away) that Roberts track video might be at fault here in today's SAR R2 as opposed to a blown call by the track announcer.

That said, anybody reading this post who was at Saratoga today and happened to catch the stretch run of today's R2 live:

YOU would know.

If that's the case, feel free to jump in and correct me.

-jp

thespaah
08-06-2022, 07:42 PM
You said he swore. He never swore on anything. You're a lawyer. You should be better then this.

It comes as no surprise dilanesp is an attorney, He certainly likes to argue

thespaah
08-06-2022, 07:53 PM
One of the aspects of this thread is those who are critiquing Imbiale have never been in the booth.
Race announcing is HARD.
I tried it.
Anyone who can 'forget' the previous race horse names in 20 minutes and use whichever memory by association technique that works for them, then be able to call a race to the public and be able to convey to the public the action on the track, to me is amazing.
I had ideas about getting into the race announcing business.
I cant do it without cheating with the program.
Yeah, I tried over and over to call races on my TV into a recording device....I can't do it without sounding like I forgot my own name.
I have broadcasting experience doing hockey and baseball.
Memorizing names uniform numbers and little snippets of info about the players is difficult...BUT...I'm calling the same players over the span of a 2.5 to 3 hours. Not anywhere from 2.5 minutes ( 12 F) down to 55 to 60 seconds (5f)
So anyone on here who is taking what I deem unjustified shots as John Imbriale is free to step up to the mic and have at it.

Tee
08-06-2022, 08:02 PM
Trevor Denman just called the wrong horse in the 6th @ Del Mar. :10: Airkita instead of :11: Smiling Molly throughout the race.

Somebody start a thread. 🙄

Brisk Urging
08-06-2022, 08:13 PM
Trevor Denman just called the wrong horse in the 6th @ Del Mar. :10: Airkita instead of :11: Smiling Molly throughout the race.

Somebody start a thread. 🙄

Denman all time great.Imbriale isnt.:rolleyes:

geroge.burns99
08-06-2022, 08:24 PM

Meanwhile Peter Berry calls a great WV Derby, he just sits there and no one ever gives him any real respect, and of course there are others mentioned earlier in this thread

I don't get it

:ThmbUp:

Tee
08-06-2022, 08:35 PM
Denman all time great.Imbriale isnt.:rolleyes:

So current ineptitude is okay because of past proficiency?

Brisk Urging
08-06-2022, 08:37 PM

Yes.

Over 30 years of equity..Did you JOhnny I today?

lex
08-06-2022, 08:47 PM
I noticed that too.

That said --

Based on the calls of a lot of different announcers at a lot of different tracks over a lot of years - specifically while watching Roberts track video offered by ADWs:

I suspect the video part of the track signal and the soundtrack of the announcer's voice aren't always synchronized with each other.

Most of the time I notice this, it's because the announcer is already calling the name of the race winner as if he has already seen the horses cross the wire.

But the video part of the track signal is still showing the horses a little past the sixteenth pole.

And every once in a blue moon it's the other way around.

This is something I notice several times a week when watching Roberts track video delivered by ADWs.

Yet it's something I have never once noticed when attending the races live.

I noticed it today because I bet #5 MOSTLY HARMLESS (the horse John Imbriale called in front in the upper stretch) at a point in time when the video part of the Roberts track signal was clearly showing #4 SHE CAUGHT MY EYE as having already made the lead.

I suspect (but can't prove from 3000 miles away) that Roberts track video might be at fault here in today's SAR R2 as opposed to a blown call by the track announcer.

That said, anybody reading this post who was at Saratoga today and happened to catch the stretch run of today's R2 live:

YOU would know.

If that's the case, feel free to jump in and correct me.

-jp

I was thinking this myself and I normally watch the Fox show. I started wondering if things weren't synched up because the chiclets were ahead of what I was seeing on the track and then the sound would sometimes go with the chiclets or be behind. Haven't watched closely in a few day though.

v j stauffer
08-06-2022, 09:41 PM

Making a mistake isn't ineptitude.

It's making a mistake.

All announcers make them.

v j stauffer
08-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Unless Tom Durkin is back calling races at NYRA in his prime, announcers don't mean much of anything to me...at all...period

Durkin was the best of the best IMO...haven't seen anyone else who could touch him with a ten foot pole...so...it doesn't really matter to me who is calling races at NYRA.

Johnny I, in my opinion, doesn't make or break anything for me. He's been with NYRA FOREVER...and I mean forever...so good for him...glad NYRA is giving him the chance to be the top dog at the top meet these past couple of seasons.

He deserves it for his loyalty all these years.

And again, IMO, he's good enough and doesn't deserve some of the comments in this thread.

Especially considering there is no Tom Durkin out there who could replace him.

SHARP POST

craigbraddick
08-06-2022, 11:06 PM
No matter how accomplished you are you are only ever as good as your last call.

I think many announcers do not realize they are in a customer service role. You owe it the horseplayers to give the best race call you possibly can each and every time.

PaceAdvantage
08-07-2022, 12:39 AM

I think many announcers do not realize they are in a customer service role. You owe it the horseplayers to give the best race call you possibly can each and every time.They all are...unfortunately, they are all also human.

Too bad some people in this thread (not you) aren't...:lol::lol::lol:

dilanesp
08-07-2022, 01:03 AM
That really wasn't a very good stretch call in a short field on national TV today in the Whitney.

End of the day it doesn't matter who calls the races, but there are probably 20 announcers who would have done a better job with this one.

Peter Berry
08-07-2022, 03:24 AM
That really wasn't a very good stretch call in a short field on national TV today in the Whitney.

End of the day it doesn't matter who calls the races, but there are probably 20 announcers who would have done a better job with this one.
I’ve never been in the announcer’s booth at Saratoga but I’ve heard it is quite unforgiving.

JustRalph
08-07-2022, 09:39 AM

What the heck was he supposed to say differently?

A much the best horse veered in a little, his stable-mate veered out but they were never that close. Not much to say if you ask me……

v j stauffer
08-07-2022, 03:39 PM

I think many announcers do not realize they are in a customer service role. You owe it the horseplayers to give the best race call you possibly can each and every time.

Boy is that some happy horseshit.

You're only as good as your last call?

Anyone that's ever done this job has botched a race call.

It's doesn't define who they are or their body of work.

I've NEVER once met an announcer, and I've met hundreds, that doesn't understand they work in a customer service capacity.

I've never met an announcer that doesn't try to do their VERY BEST on each and every race call.

v j stauffer
08-07-2022, 03:41 PM
I’ve never been in the announcer’s booth at Saratoga but I’ve heard it is quite unforgiving.

It's by far the toughest booth I've ever seen. Blind spot on the first turn.

Desperately low making it very hard to see when stacked up wide around the far turn.

Very close to the track making depth perception though the lane extremely difficult.

Jeff P
08-07-2022, 04:02 PM
Question for the track announcers out there or anyone more familiar with Saratoga than I am:

I visited Yavapai (now Arizona Downs) in 2009 and spent a couple of racecards with then track announcer Greg 'Boomer' Wry.

He was outfitted with a remote mic allowing him to call races from pretty much anywhere on the grounds.

Would this be possible at Saratoga if a track announcer were willing?

-jp

cj
08-07-2022, 04:04 PM
"The 1/4 went in 26 seconds, so it's a slow pace."

Johnny I during a 6.5f dirt race today.

v j stauffer
08-07-2022, 04:16 PM
Question for the track announcers out there or anyone more familiar with Saratoga than I am:

I visited Yavapai (now Arizona Downs) in 2009 and spent a couple of racecards with then track announcer Greg 'Boomer' Wry.

He was outfitted with a remote mic allowing him to call races from pretty much anywhere on the grounds.

-jp

A wireless mic could allow an announcer to go pretty much wherever they chose.

However there are lot's of reasons why staying in the booth is important.

Calls from the Stewards, Jocks Room, Publicity, Marketing.

A dry, windless workspace is also important.

Most tracks try their best to give the announcer a good vantage point.

Some others, photo finish, placing, Stewards do get dibs on being closer to the finish line than the caller.

I asked both Larry and Tom if they thought about asking for a better spot.

Both replied hey it's the SPA I'm just happy to be there. I certainly get that.

I will say the piling on Johnny I in this thread is hard to read.

I choose to rejoice in the great racing.

craigbraddick
08-07-2022, 04:55 PM
Boy is that some happy horseshit.

You're only as good as your last call?

Anyone that's ever done this job has botched a race call.

It's doesn't define who they are or their body of work.

I've NEVER once met an announcer, and I've met hundreds, that doesn't understand they work in a customer service capacity.

I've never met an announcer that doesn't try to do their VERY BEST on each and every race call.

Vic:

Sir Peter O'Sullevan told me that. His words have slightly more weight on the subject of race calling than yours do. When I say slightly, I am being polite. I mean immensely. You are famous for being the voice of Hollywood Park - he was famous for calling races for BBC Television from 1948-1997. Called every Royal Ascot for half a century, the Epsom Derby from 1954-1977, the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas from 1950-1970, the Cheltenham Gold Cup from 1955-1991, the Grand National from 1948 on Radio and then on Television from 1960-1997, the Arc from 1954-1985...I could continue, but I think I have made my point.

Everyone has indeed botched a race call. It goes with the job.

I never said it defines their body of work. But your statement is such a straw man, I am wondering if you will be the first racecaller at Lord Summerisle Downs opening next year off the coast of Scotland.

The number of racecallers you have met does not lend credence to your argument.

I have definitely met race callers who do not try their VERY BEST on each and every race call and have largely become bored with the job except on big race days when their game rises to the occasion.

mountainman
08-07-2022, 05:12 PM
Vic does so many things so very well that it is nearly incomprehensible. And calling IS his specialty.

mountainman
08-07-2022, 05:28 PM

-jp

Hi, jeff...dig me some boomer. Wrote a blurb for his book. Great dude.

Profesor
08-07-2022, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Sheffwed;2819591]yes I just found this place
I don't understand how you remain on the air[/QUOTE

That’s easy (connections)

PaceAdvantage
08-07-2022, 06:05 PM
That’s easy (connections)nice quote job, btw

jealousy is an ugly thing

v j stauffer
08-07-2022, 06:10 PM
Vic:

Sir Peter O'Sullevan told me that. His words have slightly more weight on the subject of race calling than yours do. When I say slightly, I am being polite. I mean immensely. You are famous for being the voice of Hollywood Park - he was famous for calling races for BBC Television from 1948-1997. Called every Royal Ascot for half a century, the Epsom Derby from 1954-1977, the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas from 1950-1970, the Cheltenham Gold Cup from 1955-1991, the Grand National from 1948 on Radio and then on Television from 1960-1997, the Arc from 1954-1985...I could continue, but I think I have made my point.

I never said it defines their body of work. But your statement is such a straw man, I am wondering if you will be the first racecaller at Lord Summerisle Downs opening next year off the coast of Scotland.

I have definitely met race callers who do not try their VERY BEST on each and every race call and have largely become bored with the job except on big race days when their game rises to the occasion.

Sounds Good

the little guy
08-07-2022, 06:43 PM
nice quote job, btw

jealousy is an ugly thing

I am never insulted by a poster that isn't even smart enough to quote posts properly.

v j stauffer
08-08-2022, 12:06 AM
Vic:

Did Sir Peter ever call the Humboldt County Marathon?

craigbraddick
08-08-2022, 11:25 AM
Did Sir Peter ever call the Humboldt County Marathon?

When you consider Telstar was launched in 1962, the first live televised race from the USA to Great Britain was the 1968 Washington DC International (Which Peter commentated on for the BBC as well as covering for the Daily Express) and he retired a long time before Ferndale sent their signal anywhere the answer would be "no." - wouldn't it?

However if he had called it, he would have done the same level of prep work as he did for all the races he called. How do I know this? Because I was with him when the BBC covered very ordinary racing mainly on weekdays.

Examples of both our prep work attached to show how in part he inspired me.

In his prime, I think he was better than anyone ever has been. Descriptive, accurate, knew when to use an economy of words, and knew when to turn it up, but never being a part of or a bigger part of the race itself.

None of this name, margin, name, margin, name, margin, name, margin etc, shout a bit near the finish, further wearing out the same cliches, and then mysteriously stopping the call 75 yards out as was the way in the US that prevailed for so long.

Read this: If you can think of a horse racing commentator who was so revered for so long and whose career at the very peak of the sport went on for so long, please point him out: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/voice-of-racing-peter-o-sullevan-passes-away-aged-97-1.2301095

dilanesp
08-08-2022, 11:57 AM
However if he had called it, he would have done the same level of prep work as he did for all the races he called. How do I know this? Because I was with him when the BBC covered very ordinary racing mainly on weekdays.

I remember when Trevor first started calling Fairplex and was applying his talents to some 4 furlong Appaloosa race and his editorializations ("she can WAIT NO MORE") sounded faintly ridiculous in the context. (Having said that, both him and Wrona turned out to be great at calling quarter horse races. Go figure.)

But I admire how all you guys prepare, and how you put so much work into a less than 2 minute call.

Brisk Urging
08-08-2022, 11:59 AM
How can Wrona not be calling races at a major circuit?

v j stauffer
08-08-2022, 12:13 PM
Vic:

I've always felt the brotherhood of race callers should stick together.

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

You've made some pretty damning accusations in this thread.

Accusing others of not having the same standard of professionalism as yourself and Sir Peter.

Care to name these colleagues?

I'm sure they'll appreciate the input from a man of your statue, ethic and skillset.

pat
08-08-2022, 12:47 PM
Johnny I in the sky is clear and precise in his race calls very good and deserved his position with NYRA.
Colmus is good at what he does.
Pete Aiello is the poet of storytelling throughout race sort of like Jack E Lee who was my favorite.

geroge.burns99
08-08-2022, 12:51 PM
Johnny I in the sky is clear and precise in his race calls very good and deserved his position with NYRA.
Colmus is good at what he does.
Pete Aiello is the poet of storytelling throughout race sort of like Jack E Lee who was my favorite.

Sure...and I bet you don't listen to him every racing day of the year like this New Yorker does.... that feels like NYRA pulled another swift one on us...

Brisk Urging
08-08-2022, 01:32 PM

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

Accusing others of not having the same standard of professionalism as yourself and Sir Peter.

I'm sure they'll appreciate the input from a man of your statue, ethic and skillset.

Vic speaking of which

Saying announcers should have each others backs.You tried to steal a job from Wrona back in the day.Wrona got hired to call the fairs and Vic wrote a letter trying to steal his job..

This isnt having each others back Vic:D

Peter Berry
08-08-2022, 01:41 PM
How can Wrona not be calling races at a major circuit?Prestidigitation. Ask Ritvo.

dilanesp
08-08-2022, 02:01 PM
How can Wrona not be calling races at a major circuit?

I love Wrona's work, but he's been in and out of a lot of jobs. He corrected me when I posted on this before- at least one of his major moves was to go work at another major racetrack.

But in general, when you see a lot of top level jobs on a resume, and the person is super-competent (as Wrona is), that indicates some reasons unrelated to one's competence for what is going on.

(Edited because of course you see lots of jobs on a resume as someone climbs the ladder.)

Brisk Urging
08-08-2022, 02:31 PM
Vic speaking of which

Saying announcers should have each others backs.You tried to steal a job from Wrona back in the day.Wrona got hired to call the fairs and Vic wrote a letter trying to steal his job..

Vic i need you to man up and reply to my post dont be a coward.

craigbraddick
08-08-2022, 03:18 PM

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

I did not accuse others - they told me themselves. They told me in confidence and in all but one of the cases it was many years ago and none of them were even American or call in America. Nothing damning about it at all - just the fact they were no longer interested in race calling as they used to be and they accepted that fact for themselves.

craigbraddick
08-08-2022, 03:38 PM
I remember when Trevor first started calling Fairplex and was applying his talents to some 4 furlong Appaloosa race and his editorializations ("she can WAIT NO MORE") sounded faintly ridiculous in the context. (Having said that, both him and Wrona turned out to be great at calling quarter horse races. Go figure.)

But I admire how all you guys prepare, and how you put so much work into a less than 2 minute call.

Thank you. I have seen some great callers who never color in the silks. It is all individual. I learned from guys who had to do pre race and post race stuff, often at times when there were still a lot of tech problems with live television - so it was often emphasized to me to have plenty on reserve in case something went wrong. 90% of it never gets used though!

Context is everything for sure. It is very different calling say a $3,200 Claimer over five furlongs for non winners of 3 lifetime than a six figure QH race over 250 yards than the 4 mile plus Virginia Gold Cup where they jump fences and go through a lake!

craigbraddick
08-08-2022, 03:54 PM
Vic i need you to man up and reply to my post dont be a coward.

I remember that and I also remember Wrona's response that involved explaining Vic was not one of 12 announcers chosen to be in some kind of book about race calling that was published maybe 15 years ago.

I also recall in 2011 there was a thread about Tom Durkin and I said something along the lines of that Tom was like the Arnold Palmer of race calling. You listen to him because it is great he is still there. Vic made this out to be an insult and castigated me on here.

What Vic did not know is at the time I was sharing an office with a gentlemen named Mike who Vic had known when Vic was the caller at Gulfstream Park. Mike knew Tom and that afternoon, I called Tom in the booth at Saratoga and told him what I said and he was not offended by it at all. And I have conversed with Tom many times since. In fact in 2018 he kindly made a brief appearance in a promotional video for me.

Vic: That was not the only time you criticized me on here in the past. The difference is this. Back then, I accepted being pushed around. But I learned to stand up for myself. Ever since I did, every single aspect of my life and career has got better. And although nothing in life lasts forever, I am so glad I learned that lesson and have people in my career who have been and still are so genuinely helpful.

v j stauffer
08-08-2022, 05:06 PM
Vic speaking of which

That NEVER happened. You are incorrect.

A new Fair Manager and Fair Board had been hired at Santa Rosa.

The announcer's job was re-opened for bidding. Those of us interested were told to write a letter explaining why we were best suited for the job.

elhelmete
08-08-2022, 05:09 PM
This thread is so off the rails I'm going back to re-read one of formula_2002's 41,000 posts just to clear my head. LOL

craigbraddick
08-08-2022, 05:14 PM
This thread is so off the rails I'm going back to re-read one of formula_2002's 41,000 posts just to clear my head. LOL

Probably best to read a few of them! :)

v j stauffer
08-08-2022, 05:16 PM
I remember that and I also remember Wrona's response that involved explaining Vic was not one of 12 announcers chosen to be in some kind of book about race calling that was published maybe 15 years ago.

I also recall in 2011 there was a thread about Tom Durkin and I said something along the lines of that Tom was like the Arnold Palmer of race calling. You listen to him because it is great he is still there. Vic made this out to be an insult and castigated me on here.

What Vic did not know is at the time I was sharing an office with a gentlemen named Mike who Vic had known when Vic was the caller at Gulfstream Park. Mike knew Tom and that afternoon, I called Tom in the booth at Saratoga and told him what I said and he was not offended by it at all. And I have conversed with Tom many times since. In fact in 2018 he kindly made a brief appearance in a promotional video for me.

Vic: That was not the only time you criticized me on here in the past. The difference is this. Back then, I accepted being pushed around. But I learned to stand up for myself. Ever since I did, every single aspect of my life and career has got better. And although nothing in life lasts forever, I am so glad I learned that lesson and have people in my career who have been and still are so genuinely helpful.

SOUNDS GOOD

PaceAdvantage
08-08-2022, 05:33 PM
This thread is so off the rails I'm going back to re-read one of formula_2002's 41,000 posts just to clear my head. LOL:pound: :ThmbUp:

MJC922
08-08-2022, 07:42 PM

Oh my, that went to the upper deck.

Where do I send a paypal donation?

Inner Dirt
08-10-2022, 02:57 PM

I don't get it

Peter Berry gets the utmost respect here, maybe you should do some research.

Inner Dirt
08-10-2022, 03:15 PM
I think Vic is being too nice, and I think he is a far better announcer than the guy he is arguing with, who seems to have an over inflated sense of self worth.

Brisk Urging
08-10-2022, 04:21 PM
Listen to the 4th...Wow Montauk........................................... ...................Mexican Wonderboy

ScottJ
08-10-2022, 04:46 PM
Listen to the 4th...Wow Montauk....Mexican WonderboyFor goodness sakes, Brisk, any chance you can throttle down the rhetoric? Seriously hossy, you are better than this.

SG4
08-10-2022, 11:51 PM
Did anyone notice Trevor completely call the wrong horse the winner in Del Mar's 7th last Sunday? He referred to him wrongly 3x in the stretch & never corrected himself. Bad mess up as one was a grey & other was brown, and he had it right the whole way until the stretch. Not that I'm looking to pile on Trevor, I'm just more confused that this egregious error went completely unmentioned from anything I saw while any Imbriale stutter-step is grounds for dismissal.

dilanesp
08-11-2022, 05:49 AM
Did anyone notice Trevor completely call the wrong horse the winner in Del Mar's 7th last Sunday? He referred to him wrongly 3x in the stretch & never corrected himself. Bad mess up as one was a grey & other was brown, and he had it right the whole way until the stretch. Not that I'm looking to pile on Trevor, I'm just more confused that this egregious error went completely unmentioned from anything I saw while any Imbriale stutter-step is grounds for dismissal.

Trevor is probably impossible to fire, but maybe he can be convinced to step down if he's making too many mistakes up there. One advantage Del Mar has is it's relationship with Collmus- they have a great announcer presumably ready to step in whenever Trevor steps down.

chenoa
08-11-2022, 09:37 PM
Another bad day for Trevor. Race 3 and 7 and 8.
He's had a tough meet, you would have hoped the hiccups would have been minimized by now, a few weeks in.
Could this be Trevor's last meet?

CaptainObvious
08-17-2022, 09:36 AM
Frank Mirahmadi will be in the booth the next two days at Toga. :ThmbUp:

castaway01
08-17-2022, 10:29 AM
That NEVER happened. You are incorrect.

A new Fair Manager and Fair Board had been hired at Santa Rosa.

The announcer's job was re-opened for bidding. Those of us interested were told to write a letter explaining why we were best suited for the job.

Vic is basically the Joe Buck of horse racing. Very talented but incredibly insecure. I wish we could find another sport where one of the top people in the field is bickering and fighting with randoms on the Internet. What a weird human being.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2022, 10:30 AM
bickering and fighting with randoms on the Internet.You write this as if it's a bad thing.

v j stauffer
08-17-2022, 11:11 AM
Vic is basically the Joe Buck of horse racing. Very talented but incredibly insecure. I wish we could find another sport where one of the top people in the field is bickering and fighting with randoms on the Internet. What a weird human being.

I stopped bickering and fighting long ago.

And it's been even longer since I called anybody weird or insecure.

However, if you feel the need to tell people what you think of me.

Have at it.

westernmassbob
08-17-2022, 11:28 AM
I stopped bickering and fighting long ago.

And it's been even longer since I called anybody weird or insecure.

However, if you feel the need to tell people what you think of me.

Have at it.

Why would anyone think Vic is weird or insecure? He literally calls himself “ the goof on the roof “.

Anyway he makes my top 5 race callers of all time list. Always enjoyed his calls at HP and especially now at Oaklawn.

BTW How come we don’t ever hear Frank Mirahmadi doing is impressions throughout the races ? Is it because most of them would be unfamiliar to today’s audience ? His Marv Albert was spot on.

v j stauffer
08-17-2022, 11:39 AM
Why would anyone think Vic is weird or insecure? He literally calls himself “ the goof on the roof “.

Anyway he makes my top 5 race callers of all time list. Always enjoyed his calls at HP and especially now at Oaklawn.

BTW How come we don’t ever hear Frank Mirahmadi doing is impressions throughout the races ? Is it because most of them would be unfamiliar to today’s audience ? His Marv Albert was spot on.

Top 5 all time. That's rarified air Bob. Don't know if it's deserved. But thanks.

I don't THINK I'm weird or insecure. But I suppose it's possible. Tina would probably side with CASTAWAY.

There was a time when I was 1000% more confrontational on these forums. I did that because I thought it was fun to mix it up.

I quickly found out people take things MUCH MORE seriously than me and toned it down.

Now I try to be a voice of reason and explanation. 45 years into this wacky sport has taught me quite a bit and I love sharing those experiences.

FYI speaking of rating announcers. A Worldwide pool ranking announcers was recently released. I was voted the 2nd best announcer ever......

All the others tied for 1st!

ranchwest
08-17-2022, 12:21 PM
FYI speaking of rating announcers. A Worldwide pool ranking announcers was recently released. I was voted the 2nd best announcer ever......

All the others tied for 1st!

You had me going. I was wondering who the heck is better than Vic? In the end, I was just glad you didn't tell us that it was some guy yelling, "Here comes Markey!" :lol:

molson721
08-17-2022, 09:03 PM
Larry is still around from time to time. He got past a very serious health scare and fills in at times. I've heard him at Freehold, The Big M, and I think Parx within the last few years.

Is Larry still around? He was the only reason why I would bet Freehold.

I hope Larry is is still with us!

dilanesp
08-18-2022, 08:29 AM
You had me going. I was wondering who the heck is better than Vic? In the end, I was just glad you didn't tell us that it was some guy yelling, "Here comes Markey!" :lol:

In the 1970's, there was a TV Guide poll for best and worst sportscasters. Howard Cosell finished first in both polls.

Zydeco
08-18-2022, 06:04 PM
Sounds like Frank is calling Saratoga today. Watching online.

BarchCapper
08-18-2022, 08:54 PM

He's talked about that in some of his interviews - he's given up doing that almost entirely. I believe he said when he first got the Monmouth gig that one of the people involved in the hiring said something to the effect of the fans who were attending expect a nice straightforward call.

I've also heard him mention what you pointed out - the ones he's most known for are a little dated.

The Arbiter
08-19-2022, 12:02 AM
Frank Mirahmadi will be in the booth the next two days at Toga. :ThmbUp:

Ah, I had definitely heard him call before but didn't know the name. I think he's excellent.

dilanesp
08-19-2022, 08:38 AM
Ah, I had definitely heard him call before but didn't know the name. I think he's excellent.

I don't think he's as good as Collmus, but he's absolutely very good, and if NYRA thinks it should have a top announcer again, hiring Frank M would be a very good way to undo some of what they did when they unloaded Collmus to save money.

PaceAdvantage
08-19-2022, 09:13 AM
I don't think he's as good as Collmus, but he's absolutely very good, and if NYRA thinks it should have a top announcer again, hiring Frank M would be a very good way to undo some of what they did when they unloaded Collmus to save money.NYRA's been accused of LOTS of things by you and others over the years here.

BEING FRUGAL isn't one of them.

In fact, many times, it's been just the opposite, especially when it came to executive or big name compensation.

Why the sudden turnaround, do you think? I mean, assuming what you're saying is actually accurate.

dilanesp
08-19-2022, 09:23 AM
NYRA's been accused of LOTS of things by you and others over the years here.

BEING FRUGAL isn't one of them.

In fact, many times, it's been just the opposite, especially when it came to executive or big name compensation.

Why the sudden turnaround, do you think? I mean, assuming what you're saying is actually accurate.

PA, it's now been confirmed by 3 different people, all of whom have access to the story, that I am correct about what happened. I am EXTREMELY confident that this is what happened.

I have NO idea what the actual motives were for NYRA engaging in this particular bit of cost-cutting. Who ever does? Especially since it wasn't a ton of money as compared to NYRA's revenues. So I know what happened- but I do not know why and I suspect none of us ever will.

BarchCapper
08-19-2022, 10:09 AM
I don't think he's as good as Collmus, but he's absolutely very good, and if NYRA thinks it should have a top announcer again, hiring Frank M would be a very good way to undo some of what they did when they unloaded Collmus to save money.

As a West Coaster, you know that Santa Anita is his dream job. He's not going to leave there for as long as they'll have him. When NYRA gets to the point where they will need a new announcer (which I'm in no hurry for), they'll want one that is available to call all of the Wood Memorials, Belmonts, Traverses, and Cigar Miles. They wouldn't be looking for the part-time situation Miramahdi has with Monmouth.

Sheffwed
08-19-2022, 10:21 AM
As a West Coaster, you know that Santa Anita is his dream job. He's not going to leave there for as long as they'll have him. When NYRA gets to the point where they will need a new announcer (which I'm in no hurry for), they'll want one that is available to call all of the Wood Memorials, Belmonts, Traverses, and Cigar Miles. They wouldn't be looking for the part-time situation Miramahdi has with Monmouth.

Imbriale gets Aqueduct (which will be the next 9 months, ugh, really NYRA?), Frank M gets Saratoga & Santa Anita

simple

BarchCapper
08-19-2022, 10:32 AM
Imbriale gets Aqueduct (which will be the next 9 months, ugh, really NYRA?), Frank M gets Saratoga & Santa Anita

simple

Sadly, there is no way to cash in on a head to head friendly wager where I have the side that NYRA would NEVER hire an announcer to do only the Saratoga meet.

PaceAdvantage
08-19-2022, 10:46 AM
Why should NYRA settle for a part-timer anyway?

The premier circuit in the country can't find someone willing to work year-round?

Hilarious.

Tom Durkin wasn't a superstar when NYRA picked him up.

Find someone good...relatively young...and hungry.

BarchCapper
08-19-2022, 11:14 AM

The premier circuit in the country can't find someone willing to work year-round?

Hilarious.

Totally on board with first part and last part (when the time comes). I might quibble with Durkin not being a "superstar" by 1990 - he'd been the Breeders' Cup announcer from the beginning (1984), did all NBC announcing and if you don't want to call that "superstar", was a definite household name for anyone who remotely followed racing.

BarchCapper
08-19-2022, 11:21 AM
I heard different. I heard that Larry spoke disparagingly about someone at NYRA in a text message. And the receiver of that text violated Larry's trust...by sharing it.

The text was something like

"I hate that guy and I'd like to piss on his grave".

The text was taken out of context and NYRA legal/human resources were involved. I suppose from a CYA corporate view, it's menacingly threatening.

But honestly, you make friends with co workers and say what's on your mind . Ouch for Larry. Sucks.

Every time I see this Collmus/Imbriale thing revived, I keep hearing Randy Travis in my head:

I'm diggin' up bones, diggin' up bones
Exhuming things that's better left alone
I'm resurrecting memories of love that's dead and gone
Yeah tonight I'm sittin' alone diggin' up bones

:bang::bang::lol:

PaceAdvantage
08-19-2022, 11:34 AM
Totally on board with first part and last part (when the time comes). I might quibble with Durkin not being a "superstar" by 1990 - he'd been the Breeders' Cup announcer from the beginning (1984), did all NBC announcing and if you don't want to call that "superstar", was a definite household name for anyone who remotely followed racing.We can debate superstar status (in terms of racetrack announcers)...as the BC was still kind of in its infancy when Durkin joined NYRA in 1990. I didn't really get into racing until the very late 80s, so I'm probably wrong on that.

BarchCapper
08-19-2022, 12:07 PM
We can debate superstar status (in terms of racetrack announcers)...as the BC was still kind of in its infancy when Durkin joined NYRA in 1990. I didn't really get into racing until the very late 80s, so I'm probably wrong on that.

That makes sense, given when you started. My racing infancy was the early '80s, so just a little before yours.

Sadly, in looking it up, (and this surprised me) the highest rated Breeders' Cup telecast ever was the first one. Your comment about infancy had got me wondering, since I remembered it being a huge thing with a couple of years of promotion and build up before we finally got the first one. And then after all that groundwork to get sires/foals/horses nominated - a supplemental entry won the Classic!

dilanesp
08-19-2022, 04:37 PM
Totally on board with first part and last part (when the time comes). I might quibble with Durkin not being a "superstar" by 1990 - he'd been the Breeders' Cup announcer from the beginning (1984), did all NBC announcing and if you don't want to call that "superstar", was a definite household name for anyone who remotely followed racing.

Yeah, Durkin was a very big deal when NYRA hired him. The Breeders' Cup job obviously, but he also did Hialeah when that was still a big deal, Meadowlands harness when THAT was a still a big deal, and he was Dave Johnson's assistant on Meadowlands thoroughbred races as well. ABC and ESPN had both used him in addition to NBC. It was a splashy hire.

CaptainObvious
08-19-2022, 06:38 PM

Hilarious.

What’s “relatively young” in horse racing? 55?

dilanesp
08-19-2022, 06:41 PM
What’s “relatively young” in horse racing? 55?

Santa Anita hired Trevor when he was 31, Joe Hernandez when he was 25, and Alan Buchdahl when he was 21 or something. Hollywood Park hired Wrona the first time when he was 23. NYRA hired Dave Johnson at 30.

So there's an argument for getting 'em young.

chenoa
08-19-2022, 07:27 PM
TRAVIS STONE

Hilarious.

Suff
08-24-2022, 10:53 PM
HISA implementation in Colorado- from a boots on the ground view.

Also informative Steward talk had an inside baseball feel

Arkansas land baron.

https://betamericarn.libsyn.com/jason-beem-horse-racing-podcast-82422-guest-vic-stauffer?_ga=2.103029760.1059905117.1661079539-162209647.1581130721

https://i.ibb.co/z68DV1Q/Screenshot-20220824-224444.png (https://ibb.co/6XvL02r)

Karakorum Kabbage
09-04-2022, 10:12 AM
https://twitter.com/DRFGrening/status/1566427498921033729

$w1fT
09-04-2022, 10:35 AM
I guess all the naysayers were right

Karakorum Kabbage
09-04-2022, 11:07 AM
https://twitter.com/TheNYRA/status/1566430629566320640

Brisk Urging
09-04-2022, 11:32 AM
I guess all the naysayers were right

Saratoga graveyard for announcers.

elhelmete
09-04-2022, 11:35 AM
Guy has 30+ years doing what he loves.
The comments here are starting to sound like sour grapes from people who never pursued a dream.

CheckMark
09-04-2022, 11:37 AM
Chris Griffin at AQU
John Imbriale at BEL
Frank Mirahmadi at SAR

So now Parx and Monmouth Park need to find announcers for next year then if this goes official

Pretty sad that NYRA can't even find a full-timer to announce at all 3 of their tracks hell I minds well send them the Rachel A tape and see if they can hire me :pound:

This feels exactly like Grand River (where I work) where we have 3 different charters in the same week; 1 girl does Monday 1 guy does Wednesday+qualifers and the actual charter who used to do every day now only does Friday

:faint:

The Arbiter
09-04-2022, 11:40 AM
Excited to hear Frank Mirahmadi at Saratoga.

chenoa
09-04-2022, 11:45 AM
Cheap.
Cheaper.
Cheapest.

Pay TRAVIS STONE and give him the whole gig. Make this a non-issue for the next 15-20 years!!!

Chris Griffin at AQU
John Imbriale at BEL
Frank Mirahmadi at SAR

So now Parx and Monmouth Park need to find announcers for next year then if this goes official

Pretty sad that NYRA can't even find a full-timer to announce at all 3 of their tracks hell I minds well send them the Rachel A tape and see if they can hire me :pound:

This feels exactly like Grand River (where I work) where we have 3 different charters in the same week; 1 girl does Monday 1 guy does Wednesday+qualifers and the actual charter who used to do every day now only does Friday

alhattab
09-04-2022, 12:06 PM
Chris Griffin at AQU
John Imbriale at BEL
Frank Mirahmadi at SAR

Wouldn’t surprise me if Monmouth hired Griffin. He calls Monmouth before Mirahmadi arrives from California and would seem to be perfect fit calendar wise

Suff
09-04-2022, 12:11 PM
They don't even mention Colmuss.

elhelmete
09-04-2022, 12:13 PM
They don't even mention Colmuss.

I noticed that too.