PDA

View Full Version : online banking

klynn52
01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
All: a little help please, i caught snatches of a local news show. They talked
about online scams. One methodology employed seems to record your keystrokes while online. Say for instance you are doing online banking, would your password and user id be subject to this type of flimflam? If so , what can you do about it?klynn

Pace Cap'n
01-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Was just recently reading about this topic on another forum. A few of the salient points were:

This is something that is more likely to happen if you logged on at a public location such as Kinko's or the library, where someone may have had the opportunity to install a program that monitors keystrokes in order to return and see what passwords the program harvested. The obvious solution here is to not enter any sensitive information at a public terminal.

It is possible for such a program to be installed on your computer, but not likely. Any decent firewall (or browser preferences) should prevent this from occurring.

Again, those were the opinions of the posters, from which I disclaim any responsiblity.

Personally, when I provide sensitive financial information on the net, I try to minimize my exposure with low-limit credit cards and keeping a bank account with a low balance for internet use. Of course, low bank balances come natural for me.

JustRalph
01-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Call your banking "online support" department