PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Avatars

Dick Schmidt
04-01-2002, 05:34 PM
To those using avatars,

Avatars - those cute little pictures that appear under your name each time you post. PA started this and it has caught on.

I have no problem with most of them, but I find that those that are anamated are very distracting. The little kid getting bucked off, Homer rising from the depths or andicap's newsboy are cute for a few seconds, then become distracting. I find myself scrolling by them just to get them off the screen. Does this bother anyone else, or is it just grumpy guys like me?

Dick

ranchwest
04-01-2002, 05:57 PM
They move?

Just kidding.

GR1@HTR
04-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Dick,

I think you should show more love and affection towards your fellow members.

anotherdave
04-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Just was reading this thread and my 3 year old son came up and said "Cool because the mouse is jumping up". There's one vote in favour.

AD

kitts
04-01-2002, 07:57 PM
I get to agree with Dick here, those cutesy little pictures are great to watch. However, they are distracting too where they can encourage a quick scroll just to pass the picture. However, I am learning to be a grumpy old man, also.

cj
04-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Not to try to steal any glory, but I believe I was the first with a moving Avatar. I have, however, seen the sinfullness of my ways, and have changed to a "static" avatar. They were definitely getting on my nerves!!!

Repented sinner,
CJ

Lefty
04-01-2002, 09:12 PM
As long as they don't bite they don't bother me.

Observer
04-01-2002, 09:29 PM
Obviously since I have one of the "annoying" avatars, I don't mind them. I find most of them funny. I love the new Homer one, and the little white pony galloping, and the mouse, and ... oh yeah, I also like these funny faces too!

:p

GameTheory
04-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Yeah,

The animated ones bug me too -- the one with the "Extra Extra" paper boy makes it downright difficult to read the post at all.

There is an option you can set to turn them all off, however, so you can always use that...

PaceAdvantage
04-01-2002, 11:41 PM
Yes GameTheory, you stole my thunder. There IS an option to turn off the displaying of ALL Avatars if you wish...Click on the PROFILE button at the top of the page, then click EDIT OPTIONS. I believe there is a little radio button in that section that will turn off all avatars if you don't wish to see them....

==PA

charleslanger
04-02-2002, 02:47 AM
kinda surprised no x-rated ones popped up, no pun intended...

Dick Schmidt
04-02-2002, 05:47 AM
PA,

Excellent. I have always believed that option switches were the way to go. Those that like them can see them, those who are grumpy and/or surly can turn them off.

Thanks.

Dick

karlskorner
04-02-2002, 08:11 AM
Animated avatars look like an invitation to:

"Come play in my sandbox"

Tom
04-02-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by charleslanger
kinda surprised no x-rated ones popped up, no pun intended...

I do have one of BART Simpson that is , ah, well, surprising to say the least. But I wouldn't even put that one on Yahoo!
~G~

:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: