PDA

View Full Version : HISA watchdog site launched

Al Gobbi
07-06-2022, 05:59 PM
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today (July 6), Animal Wellness Action, the Animal Wellness Foundation, and the Center for a Humane Economy launched a new website designed to serve as a key element of a larger watchdog campaign over implementation of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority (HISA).

The goal of the site is to ensure the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act is properly enforced and implemented. The site was made public this morning at: www.HISAWatchdog.org.

The groups, whose leaders have worked for the past seven years to stamp out race-day doping in the sport, announced the launch of their watchdog site on the heels of the Act’s July 1, 2022, effective date. Two of the groups’ leaders, Marty Irby and Wayne Pacelle have previously testified before Congress in support of anti-doping legislation and worked to enact the Act signed into law in December of 2020.

https://harnesslink.com/usa/watchdog-site-for-horseracing-integrity-and-safety-authority/

rastajenk
07-06-2022, 06:37 PM
There is no satisfying the progressive agenda, in this or any other realm or institution. This is the beginning of the end.

Redboard
07-08-2022, 07:03 PM
It might help. I always believed in the saying that image is everything. This is another way of saying, "whoever has the most popular narrative, wins."
I listen a lot to sports talk radio. Usually on the Audacy ap, which is a dumb phone ap that broadcasts sports talk stations from around the country.One of the most popular "stations" they play is CBS sports talk. They almost never talk horse racing except during the triple crown. Usually when the kentucky derby(KD) is happening several of the hosts (it's 24/7 so there are many hosts) talk racing and sometimes have a guest. For the first time ever , this year two of the hosts responded to a caller who wanted to talk KD with a line "sorry I'm an animal lover I dont want to talk horse racing. Bob Baffert killed 72 horses....yada yada yada"

Maybe HISA will bring the narrative " Well that was before HISA., HISA fixed everything. " I know it's all BS but image is everything.

the little guy
07-08-2022, 07:34 PM
There is no satisfying the progressive agenda, in this or any other realm or institution. This is the beginning of the end.

The politics on this board are problematic when they make their way into the horse racing discussions....especially these days.

You likely say progressives because it suits your political leanings when in reality they are fringe organizations. They exist on both sides, and they are probably to crux of the problem....right or left.

GMB@BP
07-11-2022, 10:49 PM
The politics on this board are problematic when they make their way into the horse racing discussions....especially these days.

You likely say progressives because it suits your political leanings when in reality they are fringe organizations. They exist on both sides, and they are probably to crux of the problem....right or left.

agree...its the fringes that seem to get all the attention.

Parkview_Pirate
07-12-2022, 12:28 AM
The takeaway, IMHO, is that politics is a part of racing, and it's less about any particular viewpoint and more about the money and corruption.

Yeah, it's not about right or left, it's about criminal behavior. And "the fringe" groups squawking about animal rights are definitely fringe. But that's a distraction.

Look past the smoke and the curtain. It's about the money.

Bustin Stones
07-12-2022, 07:06 AM
HiSA is all about repairing horse racing's image which is so important for the sport to survive and thrive. There's no more corruption in racing than any other activity simply because so many are on the lookout.
The entire Damon Runyon/noir/LUCK mythology has shamed racing fans and done much to discourage an image of clean fun.
There's no more danger of gambling sickness in racing than slot machines or poker.
Horses are treated like prized heavyweight champs.
The folks employed in the industry are some of the finest caring people you'll ever meet.
HISA is all about erasing the image of corruption and animal abuse.

rastajenk
07-12-2022, 07:27 AM
HISA is all about erasing the image of corruption and animal abuse.Well then it's a huge waste of resources because a new federal agency is not going to change anyone's attitude toward horse racing. At what point in the future will anyone be able to say, "See, racing isn't as corrupt and abusive as it used to be, because of HISA." Ain't gonna happen.

And no, there are not fringe groups "on both sides." Yes, the fringiest are the loudest, but I do not know of any conservative, anti-progressive, and/or reactionary groups that are on the fringe...unless you can label the HBPA's, the HHA's, and various racing commissions the fringe. And me. Maybe I'm out there. :D But a lone voice is not a group. ;)

classhandicapper
07-12-2022, 08:56 AM
Fringe organizations don't matter much in the grand scheme of things....unless of course they have some power. A lot of them do. Reasonable people know what the image problems are. They can be addressed and fixed without letting the "enemy" in the door, giving them a voice, or even worse, adding to their credibility.

the little guy
07-12-2022, 09:42 AM
Well then it's a huge waste of resources because a new federal agency is not going to change anyone's attitude toward horse racing. At what point in the future will anyone be able to say, "See, racing isn't as corrupt and abusive as it used to be, because of HISA." Ain't gonna happen.

And no, there are not fringe groups "on both sides." Yes, the fringiest are the loudest, but I do not know of any conservative, anti-progressive, and/or reactionary groups that are on the fringe...unless you can label the HBPA's, the HHA's, and various racing commissions the fringe. And me. Maybe I'm out there. :D But a lone voice is not a group. ;)

Politics don't belong here....but since you started it....if you don't see fringe groups on the right you're either in one and/or willfully blind.

rastajenk
07-12-2022, 10:16 AM
Who are the far-right groups, whatever that means, with regards to HISA and racing's image? I'm trying to keep it on topic, more or less.

classhandicapper
07-12-2022, 10:25 AM
agree...its the fringes that seem to get all the attention.

That's a media thing. :mad:

the little guy
07-12-2022, 12:38 PM
Who are the far-right groups, whatever that means, with regards to HISA and racing's image? I'm trying to keep it on topic, more or less.

So now it's about HISA only. I'm sure some of the many crazies on the right could have a tangential relationship at the very least. It's pretty clear from recent events that some of them are about taking away people's rights.

You took it off topic with your initial post in this thread.

rastajenk
07-12-2022, 12:53 PM
For me, it has always been about HISA only. I read the linked piece in the original post and responded.

the little guy
07-12-2022, 03:34 PM

I must have misread this. Not sure how that happened.

HorsemenHeist
07-13-2022, 07:24 AM
It's pretty clear from recent events that some of them are about taking away people's rights.

Which Constitutional rights are about to be taken away?

rastajenk
07-13-2022, 09:39 AM
Well, the right of individual states to conduct their regulatory oversight of racing as they see fit could be one, but you can't ask that question here, this is the Racing Room! :D

the little guy
07-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Which Constitutional rights are about to be taken away?

Given time I am sure there will be others but a pretty big one happened a few weeks ago. I'm sure it's being intelligently discussed in the off topic section. I don't go there but fortunately Rastajenk does and he also wanted to bring it here, despite it being against the rules.

classhandicapper
07-13-2022, 10:35 AM
I think we'd be better off discussing the risk reward of Covid vaccines for various age and health groups before discussing what the Constitution guarantees. :lol:

I'm skeptical any of this HISA stuff is going to work even though I agree with a lot of the intention. The road to hell..... and all.

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2022, 02:06 AM
I have been derelict in my duties lately...I apologize that politics outside the realm of racing politics has crept into this thread.

rastajenk
07-17-2022, 04:38 AM
You shouldn't apologize for anything. Nothing has happened here that should offend anyone's tender sensibilities.

Going forward, how can the role of HISA be discussed in a vacuum, when it's a purely political creature?

And when posters comment on something like PETA protesting in front of Santa Anita, are those comments political?

Just wondering...how best to behave. :cool:

the little guy
07-17-2022, 06:26 AM
You shouldn't apologize for anything. Nothing has happened here that should offend anyone's tender sensibilities.

Going forward, how can the role of HISA be discussed in a vacuum, when it's a purely political creature?

And when posters comment on something like PETA protesting in front of Santa Anita, are those comments political?

Just wondering...how best to behave. :cool:

Nothing like being wrong and refusing to admit it. Then again, that's your politics.

rastajenk
07-29-2022, 08:23 AM
There hasn't been any guidance or protocols regarding discussing HISA, so maybe it's all right to let Ohio HBPA president Dave Basler speak for me. This Paulick Report piece is spot-on in every detail, and completely non-political, except maybe when he questions the legality of a private entity being handed regulatory powers. ;)

https://paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/basler-major-concern-over-hisa-permeates-the-industry/https://paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/basler-major-concern-over-hisa-permeates-the-industry/

I like the part where he questions Tom Rooney's assertion that elevating stakeholders over shareholders is going to be good for the game. And that kind of gets back to the original post here about watchdog groups whose aims may not be in alignment with many racing fans on this board.

dilanesp
07-29-2022, 06:24 PM
Well, the right of individual states to conduct their regulatory oversight of racing as they see fit could be one, but you can't ask that question here, this is the Racing Room! :D

Whether or not the state has a right to conduct regulatory oversight of racing (which is a strange way of stating what is a dubious proposition to begin with), there's no right of any state to accept bets from another state's bettors or to transmit their signal to another state free of congressional regulation. Once you start crossing state lines, even under the 1787 interpretation of the Constitution, the federal government can preempt state law.

Al Gobbi
07-29-2022, 08:57 PM
Whether or not the state has a right to conduct regulatory oversight of racing (which is a strange way of stating what is a dubious proposition to begin with), there's no right of any state to accept bets from another state's bettors or to transmit their signal to another state free of congressional regulation. Once you start crossing state lines, even under the 1787 interpretation of the Constitution, the federal government can preempt state law.

I guess some people forgot the The Interstate Horse Racing Act of 1978 was passed by the federal government which paved the way for off-track betting nationally

Suff
07-31-2022, 10:35 AM
This morning;

Shoe Rule Revised as of 7/29 HISA shoe rule has been revised for Dirt sufaces on hind legs full outer rims and toe grabs up to 4mm in height will be allowed.

All other provisions of rule 2276 will begin 8/26