PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse passes over Norm Chow??

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Norm Chow (USC's offensive coordinator) just got through faceraping 0u's defense all night long in the Orange Bowl. So who does Syracuse (reportedly, per espn radio) hire???

The Defensive co-ordinator for 0u, Bo Pellini..That's who... The one that Chow abused last nite and hung up 55 points on his vaunted Oklahoma D.

I understand that successful coordinators don't always translate to excellent HC's but I found this hire to be amazing. Last nite 0u was outcoached badly, yet 'Cuse takes the lesser of the two coaches.

It ain't what ya know, it's who ya know apparently.

cj
01-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Its tough to say who will make a good head coach and in what situation. How many people thought Pete Carrol was a good hire at USC originally? Not many of the experts that I can recall. Bill Parcells was supposed to transform Dallas, hasn't happened. Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, same deal. I know the OU assistant hasn't done much in Kansas, but then again, its Kansas. Mike Stoops did so so in Arizona, so the jury is still out on that one.

Wasn't it just last year Auburn was trying to run their coach out of town?

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I think Mike Stoops at Arizona is going to be awesome. I know a lot of 0u fans and grads here, most think he was the sharper of the 3 Stoops brothers, and Bob is pretty sharp. The 3rd Stoops brother is at AZ w/ Mike. Also, Arizona is recruiting the hell out of Texas, beating UT, A&M out of some quality kids.

It'lll take him time at Zona, but he'll have something similar to present day 0u eventually, imho.

0u people also thought that Leach was the better offensive coach that Stoops had at 0u. Mangino (KU) is going to have a hard time when CU, Mizzou and Nebraska (and KSU?? are they dead yet?) get their wheels back on. Mangino's got one foot in the grave right now w/o knowing it.

I drew a HEAVY sigh when Greg Robinson was passed over @ 'CUSE. He made all the diff for TEXAS this year. We had no attitude at all till he came in last spring and woke our D's ass up. I imagine he'll be in line at UCLA when Dorrel finally disgusts the people out there to the point of dumping him....Wyoming beat UCLA in a bowl game??? He's gotta go.

toetoe
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
cj,
you're not supposed to notice that M.L. has not immediately transformed the Bangholes. He's a person of color. Which reminds me .. when will we get a coach that's a person of gender ?

ElKabong
01-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Well screw me....Cuse took another look at Pellini's gameplan vs USC and said "no thanks, we've seen his bag." So who does Syracuse hire (again, per espn)??

They take Greg Robinson....Dammit!!!! The guy was most responsible for TEXAS improvement this season. W/o him TEXAS won't be as stout in '05 for damn sure. Too late to hire a DCO of equal quality, and there are damn few of em to begin with. CJ, my optimism for next Oct vs 0u just took a hit. Losing Dick Tomey (took the SJSU head coach position) was recoverable, but not Robinson.

Syracuse got a good one. Good luck, Greg....I'll be a fan from afar. Robinson is hard not to like w/ that style of defense.

Prediction....Once the UCLA job opens up, he's gone. He's a west coaster (was a grad asst with Pete Carroll @ Pacific U) and with the talent base in so cal he'd be awesome.

Valuist
01-11-2005, 04:31 PM
I actually think the Bengals have improved. I rode them in 2003 and they had a real nice ATS run, and actually were in playoff contention. This year they started out poorly as Carson Palmer went thru growing pains but I believe they are on the improve.