PDA

View Full Version : Worst Announcer

Pages : 1 [2]

EMD4ME
12-26-2016, 06:20 PM
i think you are correct actually ..... if that guy naturally that bad OMG :D

I've heard this guy before. He reminds me of the Belterra guy. Long drawn out and buying time to read his program mid race.

Totally useless and annoying.

Turf is better off going silent :lol: A la Kee back in the day.

johnhannibalsmith
12-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Hey come on at least Boudreu can translate words like no one else a la 'Exponentially' becoming an entirely new word altogether - 'Expotentiality'. :D

EMD4ME
12-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Hey come on at least Boudreu can translate words like no one else a la 'Exponentially' becoming an entirely new word altogether - 'Expotentiality'. :D

:lol: :lol: Yeah.....and I'm sure it takes him an 1/8 to get that Loooooonnng made up word out :bang: :lol: :lol:

If I were you, I'd wear earplugs!

upthecreek
12-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Whoever just called the 6th at Turf Paralyzed, should never be allowed to speak again.

He sounds like Battaglia was his mentor.

My ears hurt.....

Late backstretch, calls a few names, then says: the oders r a ways back.

Chee thanks :lol: :lol:

As horses are galloping out, he finally says So and So in front.... :bang:

WOW
Robert Fox was calling @ Tup I didnt here it today He calls Quarter Horse races @ Ruidoso

thaskalos
12-27-2016, 06:58 AM
Robert Fox was calling @ Tup I didnt here it today He calls Quarter Horse races @ Ruidoso

Then, let it be said that Robert Fox Jr. is the worst announcer to ever call a thoroughbred race. And Vince Francia, the general manager at Turf Paradise...might be the worst track general manager in the game. And that's quite an accomplishment. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/robert-fox-jr-named-new-announcer-at-turf-paradise/

MonmouthParkJoe
12-27-2016, 07:07 AM
I would be curious to know who else applied for this thing. He was our announcer at Rillito last year, and if we get our winter meet he will be there again.

thaskalos
12-27-2016, 07:19 AM
I would be curious to know who else applied for this thing. He was our announcer at Rillito last year, and if we get our winter meet he will be there again.

This is easily the worst race announcer that I have ever heard in my 36 years of playing this game. Doesn't he know that you have to have at least a TRACE of announcing skill before you can try to effectively infuse "color commentary" into a race-call? This man can't even describe what's unfolding in front of him...and he presumes to add moronic pre-selected phrases into his announcing...which don't even fit the scenario unfolding before him?

I never thought that a race-call could actually be PAINFUL...but I was wrong.

EMD4ME
12-27-2016, 08:03 AM
Then, let it be said that Robert Fox Jr. is the worst announcer to ever call a thoroughbred race. And Vince Francia, the general manager at Turf Paradise...might be the worst track general manager in the game. And that's quite an accomplishment. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/robert-fox-jr-named-new-announcer-at-turf-paradise/

Were these other 16 individuals alive at the time of consideration?

EMD4ME
12-27-2016, 08:04 AM

By the time he says something the race will be over !!! :lol:

Peter Berry
12-27-2016, 09:34 AM

That was not Fox calling yesterday. I believe it was a jockey agent filling in.

johnhannibalsmith
12-27-2016, 09:49 AM
That was not Fox calling yesterday. I believe it was a jockey agent filling in.

This is correct. It was John Boudreu. He's been the 'backup' for a while now. But it gets worse because Francia is the 'backup backup'. He's not nearly as gregarious as Boudreu. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2016, 10:45 AM
I never thought that a race-call could actually be PAINFUL...but I was wrong.I take it you've never listened to the calls at Charles Town over the years?

NTamm1215
12-27-2016, 11:23 AM
I take it you've never listened to the calls at Charles Town over the years?

Do you really think the new announcer is that bad? He's a HUGE improvement over his predecessor in my opinion.

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Do you really think the new announcer is that bad? He's a HUGE improvement over his predecessor in my opinion.I was talking about the predecessor...that's why I said "over the years."

EMD4ME
12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Do you really think the new announcer is that bad? He's a HUGE improvement over his predecessor in my opinion.

I agree....

And I'd take his predecessor over this TUP back up :lol:

thaskalos
12-27-2016, 12:22 PM

This guy was worse. But, if he was a jockey agent...then I understand. :)

HuggingTheRail
12-27-2016, 12:51 PM
About 15 years ago, our local harness track had a contest where they would choose about 10 people, each of whom would get to announce a "qualifier" race over the PA system (pa as in public address, not pace advantage - although that would be cool)

I was one of the lucky ones to win the opportunity, but had to pass as the day they arranged it for was the day after my wedding...

A couple of weeks later, I was at the track, and asked a contact if they would do the contest again as I had missed my chance. His reply "NO WAY" :lol:

jballscalls
12-27-2016, 05:04 PM

I had applied for the position and I know they called my two references. One reference told me it was between me and one other person (not the person who eventually got the job).

One thing I've learned about announcer rumors is they're almost always wrong. I was once sent a text congratulating me on getting Presque Isle job from someone who worked at Presque Isle LOL

And as far as 16 guys applying for that position, it's important to remember those wintertime jobs are very coveted cause there's so many fewer tracks going in wintertime.

EMD4ME
12-27-2016, 05:33 PM
I had applied for the position and I know they called my two references. One reference told me it was between me and one other person (not the person who eventually got the job).

One thing I've learned about announcer rumors is they're almost always wrong. I was once sent a text congratulating me on getting Presque Isle job from someone who worked at Presque Isle LOL

And as far as 16 guys applying for that position, it's important to remember those wintertime jobs are very coveted cause there's so many fewer tracks going in wintertime.

Portland Meadows and I still miss you!!!!

MonmouthParkJoe
12-28-2016, 06:51 AM

The turf position I get because of the reason you stated and they run a longer meet. The Rillito thing is kind of a filler since we are lucky if we run 12 days this year that were approved, but it will only happen if we get a five year lease extension. That vote is set to take place in early January, then it will leave us with a couple weeks to scramble and find someone.

Hell if we dont get anyone I might try it. If you want to hear someone really bad, stay tuned haha

no breathalyzer
12-28-2016, 07:48 AM

yes.. not that bad

Inner Dirt
12-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Why don't you guys post a video of the bad calls? Even though he is an all time great Trevor Denman was out of his element at Fairplex calling his first couple of quarter horse races during the fair meet years ago.

Dahoss9698
12-28-2016, 12:35 PM
I went back last night and watched the 1994 Travers only instead of listening to Durkin's call, I listened to Dave Johnson's call from the ESPN telecast.

I think anyone wondering if a call makes a difference should watch the two calls of this race and see what you think.

johnhannibalsmith
12-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Why don't you guys post a video of the bad calls? ...

I wish I could do that with TuP R8 12/26 on behalf of those guys - at least the last three-eighths of a mile. "...looks like the winner from here! But maybe not!" It's done so seamlessly and to perfection it is practically catch-phrase material. Yeah okay so its bad but the whole race call even through the gallop out just makes me cackle almost non-stop its so, uh, colorful. :lol:

ReplayRandall
12-28-2016, 01:03 PM
I wish I could do that with TuP R8 12/26 on behalf of those guys - at least the last three-eighths of a mile. "...looks like the winner from here! But maybe not!" It's done so seamlessly and to perfection it is practically catch-phrase material. Yeah okay so its bad but the whole race call even through the gallop out just makes me cackle almost non-stop its so, uh, colorful. :lol:
I honestly could call a better race...:faint:

http://www.turfparadise.com/race-replays--live-video.html

Inner Dirt
12-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Guy sounds like maybe he takes a 2 shots of Jack Daniels before every race, so maybe that is how he sounds after 1/5 of whiskey since it was race 8. He sounds like a loud obnoxious drunk. Is he the regular or a fill in?

HuggingTheRail
12-28-2016, 03:07 PM

It would have been better in braille....

upthecreek
12-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Guy sounds like maybe he takes a 2 shots of Jack Daniels before every race, so maybe that is how he sounds after 1/5 of whiskey since it was race 8. He sounds like a loud obnoxious drunk. Is he the regular or a fill in?
Apparently the "regular" backup announcer Robert Fox is usually calling @ Tup

Marshall Bennett
12-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Is Richard Grunder still hurting ears at Tampa Bay? I haven't watched in quite some time?

EMD4ME
12-28-2016, 08:17 PM
I just listened to race 8 on Dec 26 and all I can say is WOW.....

Simply WOW....

Can you imagine if this guy called races when all we had was audio tape??? :bang: :bang: :bang: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a reason to quit betting :lol:

Inner Dirt
12-28-2016, 08:44 PM
I just listened to race 8 on Dec 26 and all I can say is WOW.....

Simply WOW....

Can you imagine if this guy called races when all we had was audio tape??? :bang: :bang: :bang: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a reason to quit betting :lol:

I remember the audio race "recreations" in the old school Las Vegas sports books in the early 80's some were quite brutal. After hearing the call they would immediately post the prices on the erase board. I wonder what they were making the calls from?

I used to listen to Bill Garr's call of the feature race at Santa Anita on KIEV 870 back in the early 80's. He would make every race sound like a blanket driving finish, then when I would clip the chart out of the paper the next day and see the first 3 finishers were spaced a couple lengths apart.

Peter Berry
12-28-2016, 10:36 PM
I remember the audio race "recreations" in the old school Las Vegas sports books in the early 80's some were quite brutal. After hearing the call they would immediately post the prices on the erase board. I wonder what they were making the calls from?

I used to listen to Bill Garr's call of the feature race at Santa Anita on KIEV 870 back in the early 80's. He would make every race sound like a blanket driving finish, then when I would clip the chart out of the paper the next day and see the first 3 finishers were spaced a couple lengths apart.
Bill Garr was a comic genius.

EasyGoer89
12-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Is Richard Grunder still hurting ears at Tampa Bay? I haven't watched in quite some time?

We need to resurrect the 'Tampa announcer' thread. :D

Inner Dirt
12-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Anybody remember Chris Kotulak? Has he turned up anywhere lately?

ebcorde
12-29-2016, 12:41 AM

he;s been at Remington their season ended 2-3 weeks ago.

cj
12-29-2016, 11:08 AM

Chris does the Remington in house handicapping and on air spots between races. He also is a regular on TVG during the Remington meets. He is also the back up announcer when Dale Day can't make it, usually on OU game days.

PaceAdvantage
12-29-2016, 02:23 PM
I went back last night and watched the 1994 Travers only instead of listening to Durkin's call, I listened to Dave Johnson's call from the ESPN telecast.

I think anyone wondering if a call makes a difference should watch the two calls of this race and see what you think.And some people dare to question why you're allowed to remain on this board.

Anyone who goes back to watch the 1994 Travers is permanently AOK in my book. :ThmbUp:

NorCalGreg
12-29-2016, 06:56 PM
That IS some pretty thorough research, there :ThmbUp:

Valuist
12-29-2016, 07:23 PM
A thread started by SQ makes an appearance. That's a blast from the distant past.

Grits
12-29-2016, 08:28 PM
We need to resurrect the 'Tampa announcer' thread. :D

Yeah, why don't you give it a try? This one originated in 2005. In 2010, five years out with post #201 (on Grunder) you brought it back after figuring its numerous pages of slamming callers in the dirt wasn't enough. Now, in 2016, six years out, we can thank your brother for raising it from the catacombs yet again. (There's no way he found this alone, he wouldn't go to the trouble.)

You two must talk on the phone every night into the wee hours of the morning. Or, maybe you text one another your laments, conspiracies and advice on where to dig for dirt. :faint:

EMD4ME
12-29-2016, 08:29 PM
Yeah, why don't you give it a try? This one originated in 2005. In 2010, five years out with post #201 (on Grunder) you brought it back after figuring its numerous pages of slamming callers in the dirt wasn't enough. Now, in 2016, six years out, we can thank your brother for raising it from the catacombs yet again. (There's no way he found this alone, he wouldn't go to the trouble.)

You two must talk on the phone every night into the wee hours of the morning. Or, maybe you text one another your laments, conspiracies and advice on where to dig for dirt. :faint:

Excuse me? I beg your pardon.

Grits
12-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Excuse me? I beg your pardon.

Emd, you wouldn't trouble yourself to look up threads this old. You simply would not. Replays and all, that take much of your time? It's not your m.o. You had help on this one. :lol:

EMD4ME
12-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Emd, you wouldn't trouble yourself to look up threads this old. You simply would not. Replays and all, that take much of your time? It's not your m.o. You had help on this one. :lol:

Quite frankly, I made a small wager on the 6th at Turf Paradise as my track, that I spent 4 days capping, cancelled after the 4th race :( .

My eardrums screamed to me, please EMD4ME, shut this off but like (I should've said AKIN as I also don't like the word "LIKE") an accident scene, I kept watching and listening.

Being that it was Dec 26th and I was home, I had no one to turn to and say: DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT DISASTER!?

I turned to the only place I know of besides a live human and I searched the 1st thing that came to mind: WORST ANNOUNCER :lol:

I was surprised the threads were still open! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I picked one and Voila.

I assure you, Easygoer89 and I don't have eachother's phone numbers. People lumped us together as we speak from the other side of the tennis court. (Shameless PLUS CJ ;) ) Nothing more, nothing less.

I am not the type to come on here and sniper shot someone for speaking a faux pas (unlike others ;) ). I understand where you're coming from and being a lady of class, I begged your pardon, sincerely and respectfully.

With all that said :blush: :D , Happy Holidays to you as well!

Peter Berry
12-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Finding a last-second, back-up announcer is rarely easy. On two occasions, Mountaineer has been forced to run several races in silence.

Grits
12-29-2016, 09:05 PM
EMD, I swear, you've got more drama in you. :lol: People don't scream at me, nor do my eardrums scream at me. But, if yours do, I feel for ya.

I, somehow, for some odd reason, just tire of seeing folks get beat in the ground here. Folks that work as hard at their job as you do at your own. Like you, they get outta the bed, they try their best. Like you, they don't get outta bed proclaiming "well, let me see what I can screw up today." Whether it's a race call or a track condition or anything else.

By the way, I'd put NYRA's track super up against any other, anywhere, any time.

And, of course. Best wishes for good health and prosperity to you, your mom and your dad in the coming New Year. :)

EMD4ME
12-29-2016, 09:08 PM
EMD, I swear, you've got more drama in you. :lol: People don't scream at me, nor do my eardrums scream at me. But, if yours do, I feel for ya.

I, somehow, for some odd reason, just tire of seeing folks get beat in the ground here. Folks that work as hard at their job as you do at your own. Like you, they get outta the bed, they try their best. Like you, they don't get outta bed proclaiming "well, let me see what I can screw up today." Whether it's a race call or a track condition or anything else.

By the way, I'd put NYRA's track super up against any other, anywhere, any time.

And, of course. Best wishes for good health and prosperity to you, your mom and your dad in the coming New Year. :)

I hear you. I do feel bad.....

Thank you. Hope 2017 is a healthy one for all here :ThmbUp:

SuperPickle
12-30-2016, 12:53 AM
Here's the million dollar question. While I don't know the exact amount I can certainly ballpark it.

How much do the posters think being the fill in announcer at a track of Turf Paradise's stature pays?

I'm dying to see the guesses.

HuggingTheRail
12-30-2016, 02:00 AM
Here's the million dollar question. While I don't know the exact amount I can certainly ballpark it.

How much do the posters think being the fill in announcer at a track of Turf Paradise's stature pays?

I'm dying to see the guesses.

Well, if already an employee = "other duties as assigned"

if not an employee = a bag of popcorn, a free racing form, and a free Turf Paradise 1996 calendar...

EMD4ME
12-30-2016, 06:47 AM
I'm with Huggingtherail. Probably has other duties and it sounds like he enjoys filling in with his artistic tone. If he wasn't an employee , I'd venture a guess of $200 for the day.

rastajenk
12-30-2016, 08:53 AM
I just listened to the TuP race, and I'll just say that I have heard worse many, many times. It sounded like the guy was going for a little Roger Huston at the end.

Hambletonian
12-30-2016, 09:28 AM
My favorite bad announcer was a guy at the Brown County Fair in SD twenty years back who had a great voice but may have been a bit color blind. The silks, well they were the standard fair silks, #1 is red, 2 is white,etc, but they had been lovingly used, probably for a hundred years, and were a little less than bright. This poor guy had a great voice, but white vs yellow, red vs orange, blue vs green, he could not get it right all weekend. Good thing it was a half miler so you could see for yourself, but it was a little distracting to say the least.

RobertCalifornia
05-31-2017, 05:39 AM
I cringe hearing the West Virginian hillbilly accent of the track announcer at Presque Isle. They're probably crazy like a fox making people escape into the casino. It is so bad, dont know if it's just me that hurts hearing thick southern accents and an accent like that.

judd
05-31-2017, 05:52 AM
Hey RXB, you made me laugh with your last post. When I first heard Roger Houston I thought he was very entertaining, but he gets old REAL fast. Now I think he's kinda pathethic and I wish he'd just call a race every once in a while like he wasn't hyped up on coke and caffeine. As for the "...and there they are!" announcer, I, too, am always left scratching my head as to what just transpired in a race when he calls it, and the announcer at Penn National always uses the word "then" in his calls. Like: "It's two lengths, then, to Mr. So and So."

Announcers on the bottom tier just make you appreciate the good ones even more. I was watching the Big A today and marveled at the way Tom Durkin can make short fields in the dead of winter seem interesting. ;)

he wears 5 rings on each hand--looks hideous:liar:

RobertCalifornia
05-31-2017, 06:46 AM
he wears 5 rings on each hand--looks hideous:liar:

Rich man's brass knuckles ?

SG4
03-25-2018, 09:53 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I thought the announcer at Tampa Bay deserved a special shout out for his call in today's 4th race where he failed to mention the name of either of the top 2 finishers over the course of the final half mile of the race. The winner he confused for another horse, and the runner up was just flat out ignored all stretch long, despite being the favorite & the late leader until nipped late. That might have a 16 over a 1 seed brand of rarity to it.

dilanesp
03-25-2018, 10:51 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I thought the announcer at Tampa Bay deserved a special shout out for his call in today's 4th race where he failed to mention the name of either of the top 2 finishers over the course of the final half mile of the race. The winner he confused for another horse, and the runner up was just flat out ignored all stretch long, despite being the favorite & the late leader until nipped late. That might have a 16 over a 1 seed brand of rarity to it.

I will tell you something I know from other forms of public speaking: few things are as difficult as catching an error on the fly and correcting it. If I am arguing a case and call someone Johnson instead of Jackson, chances are fairly high I repeat that mistake throughout the argument.

So once an announcer switches two horses, it is really easy to take that all the way to the wire. Chic Anderson even did it in the 1975 Derby

thaskalos
03-26-2018, 12:19 AM
Grunder's race-call is a cacophony even when he gets the horses right. :ThmbDown:

davew
03-26-2018, 12:21 AM
The guy that does ?Spanish? at AQU is hard for me to understand

although he might be doing a good job

Parkview_Pirate
03-26-2018, 12:54 AM

:D

I don't know about that - Grunder's mishaps are pretty frequent. Sounds more like a 12 seed knocking off a 4 seed.

Far be it for me to be critical though, he does a much, much better job than I could ever hope to...

Elliott Sidewater
03-26-2018, 08:09 PM
IMO, Ed Burgart,the Los Alamitos QH guy, is the worst announcer in American racing. Not only is his voice artficially low, it is a droning monotone that might break safety glass. In addition, he is an obnoxiouxs know it all who holds bettors, the paying customers, in low regard. Last year, not five seconds after the horses crossed the finish line, Ed was announcing how much money show bettors had lost on a 1-5 shot who was off the board. If I ran the place, I would have fired him on the spot and had him escorted off the grounds. I read he's retiring in June, so good riddance.

thaskalos
03-26-2018, 08:59 PM
IMO, Ed Burgart,the Los Alamitos QH guy, is the worst announcer in American racing. Not only is his voice artficially low, it is a droning monotone that might break safety glass. In addition, he is an obnoxiouxs know it all who holds bettors, the paying customers, in low regard. Last year, not five seconds after the horses crossed the finish line, Ed was announcing how much money show bettors had lost on a 1-5 shot who was off the board. If I ran the place, I would have fired him on the spot and had him escorted off the grounds. I read he's retiring in June, so good riddance.

I can stand a "droning monotone", when I am exposed to it 10 seconds at a time. :)

Afleet
03-26-2018, 09:14 PM
thought this was a top notch call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDDxE1r_saQ

dilanesp
03-27-2018, 12:20 PM
I can stand a "droning monotone", when I am exposed to it 10 seconds at a time. :)

Burgart's calls don't get stronger as the race gets longer?

Inner Dirt
03-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Wow, I haven't bet Los Alamitos since I left California 7 years ago and I used to love the guy. He seemed to be pretty good at covering all the contenders in such a short period of time. When I heard other QH race calls at other tracks they seemed to pale in comparison to Ed. I think calling a Quarter Horse race must be very difficult compared to other type races as the horses never really separate or go around the track in single file. Back in his prime at the mixed Fairplex LA County Fair Meet meet Trevor Denman had to call on average two QH races and one mule sprint a day, he was absolutely terrible.

I think a lot of dislike and like for race callers boils down to personal preference. I could not stand Luke Kruytbosch and neither could my group of Hollywood Park betting friends, we were all shocked when he got the job at Churchill Downs. Obviously my group was in the minority or Luke would have never got the CD job.

wisconsin
03-28-2018, 09:35 PM
I could not stand Luke Kruytbosch and neither could my group of Hollywood Park betting friends, we were all shocked when he got the job at Churchill Downs. Obviously my group was in the minority or Luke would have never got the CD job.

2nd that.

You like some announcers, hate others, and the rest you could take them or leave them. Things were different before simulcasting. Most people liked, or were at least used the "home" guy.

Elliott Sidewater
03-29-2018, 04:11 AM
That's true. Familiarity, like overexposure, can breed contempt. It's partly the whole package at today's Los Al that is annoying, not just the announcer. The endless parade of 5 horse fields and 2-5 favorites and the seemingly random cancellation of show betting all add up to a bad thing that comes wrapped in a big package. Los Al wants to be big league, but they don't have enough horses on the grounds to run 25 races a week. It's an embarrassment. On the other hand, let's not rush to exonerate the know it all announcer..........he's no Tom Durkin.

thaskalos
03-29-2018, 04:20 AM
That's true. Familiarity, like overexposure, can breed contempt. It's partly the whole package at today's Los Al that is annoying, not just the announcer. The endless parade of 5 horse fields and 2-5 favorites and the seemingly random cancellation of show betting all add up to a bad thing that comes wrapped in a big package. Los Al wants to be big league, but they don't have enough horses on the grounds to run 25 races a week. It's an embarrassment. On the other hand, let's not rush to exonerate the know it all announcer..........he's no Tom Durkin.

I don't know about that...:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrlkoBPT7k

Elliott Sidewater
03-29-2018, 07:08 AM
OK, Thask, touche. Here's my take; a Belmont Stakes that runs in 2:31:57 didn't deserve a better call:)

Inner Dirt
03-29-2018, 09:11 AM
I never liked Durkin and always enjoyed when his back up John Imbriale was in his place. I think a lot has to do with personal preference and if you hate the guy you will focus on picking out his mistakes. The guy you love might be doing just as good a job tactically as someone you don't like. Trevor Denman in his prime was brilliant, catching things that 95% of his peers would miss, yet I know guys that would mock his favorite phrases and hated him because of his accent. I also Didn't like Dave Johnson at Santa Anita in the late 70's early 80's and preferred Alan Buchdahl (not sure of the spelling) the back up.

wisconsin
03-29-2018, 09:40 AM
It's partly the whole package at today's Los Al that is annoying, not just the announcer.

I have no ties whatsoever with Los Al but my biggest pet peeve is the saddle cloths they use. There is NEVER a race where the fonts match on all of the horses. One of them is a particular saddle cloth with :5: which looks totally out of place some of the time.

For crying out loud, get a matching set.

Inner Dirt
03-29-2018, 10:11 AM
I have no ties whatsoever with Los Al but my biggest pet peeve is the saddle cloths they use. There is NEVER a race where the fonts match on all of the horses. One of them is a particular saddle cloth with :5: which looks totally out of place some of the time.

For crying out loud, get a matching set.

Los Al was the first track I ever went to when I was 14, back in 1975. I grew up in Southern California. I last went there probably in 2006 and I moved East in 2010. I probably have a nostalgic attachment to the place that makes me like it when others think it is a dump. There are a lot of areas of that track that stayed the same for the whole 30 years I visited, something I like that others don't.

wisconsin
03-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Los Al was the first track I ever went to when I was 14, back in 1975. I grew up in Southern California. I last went there probably in 2006 and I moved East in 2010. I probably have a nostalgic attachment to the place that makes me like it when others think it is a dump. There are a lot of areas of that track that stayed the same for the whole 30 years I visited, something I like that others don't.

I have been there, enjoyed it, would go back, not what I would call a dump.

Tom
03-31-2018, 05:03 PM
Grunder auditioned to be the voice for the Wonder Bible!

airford1
04-28-2018, 03:29 PM
2 race callers that shouldn't be calling races, The Clown at Belmont and the new guy at Parx. I say this because a very good caller Peter Berry is looking for a spot and he's head over heals better than these 2.

dilanesp
04-28-2018, 03:41 PM
2 race callers that shouldn't be calling races, The Clown at Belmont and the new guy at Parx. I say this because a very good caller Peter Berry is looking for a spot and he's head over heals better than these 2.

Larry Collmus, the Belmont/NYRA announcer, is one of the best in history.

airford1
04-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Larry Collmus, the Belmont/NYRA announcer, is one of the best in history.

He's following the footsteps of the last guy, I can hear him singing the DO- RA-Me Crap soon. The guy at Parx today will be a Mike Battaglia as soon as he gets the pause and forget like Vic has. Just say-N.

cj
04-28-2018, 06:26 PM
He's following the footsteps of the last guy, I can hear him singing the DO- RA-Me Crap soon. The guy at Parx today will be a Mike Battaglia as soon as he gets the pause and forget like Vic has. Just say-N.

Who is the guy at Parx?

Tom
04-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Not the usual guy.
Bring your son to work day?

dmerlin
04-28-2018, 06:48 PM
It was Mike Bozich the harness announcer at Harrahs Chester. He posted on twitter he was filling in for Keith Jones. He is a terrific harness announcer. Considering this is the first time to my knowledge he has ever called thoroughbreds, I thought he sounded ok.

cj
04-28-2018, 06:55 PM
It was Mike Bozich the harness announcer at Harrahs Chester. He posted on twitter he was filling in for Keith Jones. He is a terrific harness announcer. Considering this is the first time to my knowledge he has ever called thoroughbreds, I thought he sounded ok.

Sounds reasonable. I doubt there is a big pool of short notice, standby announcers these days.

Pensacola Pete
04-28-2018, 07:52 PM
I must be the only one who doesn't like Larry Collmus. I keep waiting for him to show up in a red cardigan sweater and break out into a chorus of "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" .

cj
04-29-2018, 01:48 PM
I must be the only one who doesn't like Larry Collmus. I keep waiting for him to show up in a red cardigan sweater and break out into a chorus of "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" .

Well obviously the other guy that posted yesterday doesn't either. What does you comment have to do with actual announcing?

Pensacola Pete
04-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Well obviously the other guy that posted yesterday doesn't either. What does you comment have to do with actual announcing?

The sing song voice is annoying. It distracts from the presentation.

upthecreek
04-29-2018, 02:14 PM
https://twitter.com/Pick4win/status/990271212927488001

airford1
04-29-2018, 06:45 PM

Once again if we don't agree with others we are the target of hate. Your boy Larry is annoying and does sound like the Dork that New York loved, a bit of gayness no doubt. I can get the other guy a break, Mike Bozich but he did sound like Battaglia which is hard on your ears.

cj
04-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Once again if we don't agree with others we are the target of hate. Your boy Larry is annoying and does sound like the Dork that New York loved, a bit of gayness no doubt. I can get the other guy a break, Mike Bozich but he did sound like Battaglia which is hard on your ears.

Target of hate? What did I say wrong here? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I was asking about the sweater comment, that was all. I didn't see what that had to do with announcing. He explained it. Case closed for me.

But no, you have to come in and be a jerk, and even go beyond that. Thanks for showing your true colors.

chenoa
04-29-2018, 09:15 PM
I found Larry ok back in the Gulfstream and Monmouth days when he was calling. Ever since the "Wives" call gave him all this publicity I find his calls to be way too dramatic and over the top. There will ever only be one Tom Durkin, no need to pretend to sound like him. I would rather hear John Imbriale's voice over the speaker.

thaskalos
04-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Collmus missed his calling, IMO; He should be acting on a stage somewhere. The horses provide enough drama, Larry...they don't need any more help from you. :ThmbUp:

dilanesp
04-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Collmus missed his calling, IMO; He should be acting on a stage somewhere. The horses provide enough drama, Larry...they don't need any more help from you. :ThmbUp:

Funny, that was always part of my problem with Durkin.

thaskalos
04-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Funny, that was always part of my problem with Durkin.

I felt the same about Durkin too.

thaskalos
04-30-2018, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure who just announced the 2nd race at Parx...but that was the best race-call that I've heard in quite a while. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
04-30-2018, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure who just announced the 2nd race at Parx...but that was the best race-call that I've heard in quite a while. :ThmbUp:

Turns out the man's name is Mike Bozich...and I think he is GREAT! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

wisconsin
04-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Turns out the man's name is Mike Bozich...and I think he is GREAT! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Calls Harrah's harness races.

Tom
04-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Agree - he is very good.

Pensacola Pete
04-30-2018, 05:13 PM
I was asking about the sweater comment, that was all.

Fred "Mr." Rogers trademark on his show was a red cardigan sweater, although he did occasionally wear other colors or a suit, and of course "Won't You Be My Neighbor" was his theme song. That was the reference I was making.

Peter Berry
04-30-2018, 05:20 PM
While I greatly appreciate your holding me in such high regard - not to mention the free advertising - I must distance myself from your comments about Messrs. Collmus and Bozich.

castaway01
05-01-2018, 09:31 AM

Pretty impressive to complain you are a target of hate and also work in a shot at the guy's "gayness" in the same paragraph.

BrentT
05-02-2018, 01:50 AM
Battaglial is bad, I grew up around his races, drove me nutz.

On another note I like the New Yorker calling races in Chi Town and Nawlins. He’s one of my faves. He knows what’s going on and all the behind the scene stories.

wisconsin
05-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Battaglial is bad, I grew up around his races, drove me nutz.

On another note I like the New Yorker calling races in Chi Town and Nawlins. He’s one of my faves. He knows what’s going on and all the behind the scene stories.

If you like his constant use of buzzwords in maiden races. On Debut, in the whatever color cap, this firster, that first time starter, making his/her debut... just call the race.

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Funny, that was always part of my problem with Durkin.I can't believe you two (you and thask) are that anti-Durkin...

Just look at who we have today...nobody today even breaths the same air that Durkin did in his prime (and his prime lasted a very long while, so don't give me the bullshit about his blown Belmont call in his waning years...)

Durkin was and is the greatest racing announcer, certainly during my lifetime, and probably way beyond that.

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Once again if we don't agree with others we are the target of hate. Your boy Larry is annoying and does sound like the Dork that New York loved, a bit of gayness no doubt. I can get the other guy a break, Mike Bozich but he did sound like Battaglia which is hard on your ears.Here's some hate for you...you win the asshole of the week award.

Congrats.

dilanesp
05-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I can't believe you two (you and thask) are that anti-Durkin...

Just look at who we have today...nobody today even breaths the same air that Durkin did in his prime (and his prime lasted a very long while, so don't give me the bullshit about his blown Belmont call in his waning years...)

Durkin was and is the greatest racing announcer, certainly during my lifetime, and probably way beyond that.

Personal taste. Durkin screamed, over-dramatized, used contrived expressions, and refused to do his job whenever a horse fell.

At any rate, right now we have Wrona and Collmus, who are both excellent. We still have Trevor at Del Mar, who has lost a step but in his prime was better than Durkin. So your statement about nobody breathing the same air is silly.

johnhannibalsmith
05-02-2018, 12:01 PM
... Durkin screamed, over-dramatized, used contrived expressions...We still have Trevor at Del Mar...

In other words, you can still get your fill.

Inner Dirt
05-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Personal taste. Durkin screamed, over-dramatized, used contrived expressions, and refused to do his job whenever a horse fell.

At any rate, right now we have Wrona and Collmus, who are both excellent. We still have Trevor at Del Mar, who has lost a step but in his prime was better than Durkin. So your statement about nobody breathing the same air is silly.

Agree 100%, a lot of it is personal taste, and nothing to do if the announcer is competent or not. The sound of someone's voice or the terms they use can either be music to one person's ears or nails on a chalkboard to another. Obviously if someone is employed at a major league venue for a long period of time he is doing a good job, whether myself or someone else doesn't like him, is irrelevant. My friends and my track going buddies could not stand Luke Kruytbosch, every time he said "Asked for speed" we wanted to throw something at the press box at Hollywood Park. We were all dumbfounded when he got the Churchill job. Obviously my group shared the minority opinion.

jk3521
05-02-2018, 12:39 PM
I know that he is well regarded, but I can't listen to John Dooley. He seems to me to be mumbling half of the time. I can't follow a race with him calling it, so I just silence the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOH7YxVGq2U

Also Imbriale is another that I turn the volume down on. Tom Durkin, in his prime ,was one of the greats. Whose job performance ,in any field of business, doesn't decline as they get older ? :(

thaskalos
05-02-2018, 01:50 PM
I can't believe you two (you and thask) are that anti-Durkin...

My feeling is that Durkin wouldn't have HALF his reputation if he called races for another circuit. There is a certain fanfare attached to NY-related racing that I just can't understand, or agree with. Even today, people say that the country's best racing runs in NY...while I consider NY's racing currently to be unworthy of even a token wager. People called Ramon Dominguez the best jockey EVER, and Durkin the best announcer ever...as if NY has a stranglehold on whatever is "best ever" in this game. Me...I prefer to give things a more careful look.

Yes...Durkin was great in his prime. But many posters here were still calling him "great" during his last couple years on the job...and that was a gross exaggeration. I'm not anti-Durkin...I just try to remain as objective as I can about these things.

dilanesp
05-02-2018, 04:31 PM
My feeling is that Durkin wouldn't have HALF his reputation if he called races for another circuit. There is a certain fanfare attached to NY-related racing that I just can't understand, or agree with. Even today, people say that the country's best racing runs in NY...while I consider NY's racing currently to be unworthy of even a token wager. People called Ramon Dominguez the best jockey EVER, and Durkin the best announcer ever...as if NY has a stranglehold on whatever is "best ever" in this game. Me...I prefer to give things a more careful look.

Yes...Durkin was great in his prime. But many posters here were still calling him "great" during his last couple years on the job...and that was a gross exaggeration. I'm not anti-Durkin...I just try to remain as objective as I can about these things.

The New York thing definitely exists. There was a time when NY was the absolute center of the racing universe. And a lot of turfwriters and fans back there really have never come to grips with changes in the sport.

Having said that, Durkin made his name calling the BC, even before NYRA

airford1
05-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Here's some hate for you...you win the asshole of the week award.

Congrats.

Thanks, coming from the top now that really means something. Durkin was not that good. Get over it I am.

sour grapes
05-05-2018, 06:38 AM
colmus thinks hes the story in these big races,yesterday in the oaks he made it sound like able tasman was gonna catch the frontrunners,i saw a wide tired horse clunck up for 4th.He really needs to tone it down.