PDA

View Full Version : The BCS is a Fraud

Bobby
01-04-2005, 03:47 PM
After having 3 teams that legitimately could say they should be in the championship game, all the BCS is going to do after this season is look for a replacement poll for the AP and maybe get a committee together to decide who plays in the championship game. What a F ing joke. How's a committee to decide iF USC should play Auburn or if Oklahoma should play Auburn and so forth?

Valuist
01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm all in favor of a playoff myself but I do think they got the two correct teams, maybe by accident, if nothing else. Auburn's non-conf. schedule is a joke. Maybe some year they'll figure it out that the popularity of the sport would skyrocket with a tournament like the Final 4. But the greedy presidents of the major conferences apparently haven't figured that out yet.

46zilzal
01-04-2005, 09:32 PM
USC is looking every bit the champ in the 2nd quarter

46zilzal
01-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Leinert, the SECOND Heisman trophy winner to play at Matre Dei high school, Santa Ana, California

Speed Figure
01-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Talk about a A$$ kicking! Big party in "South Central" 2nite. :D

Tee
01-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Anytime OU gets an A$$ whoopin - I'm happy :)

nebraska.gif

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 01:43 AM
You and me both, Tee. You and me both.

cj
01-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Tee and Elk,

That's the spirit, if you can't do it yourself, hope someone else can! Especially UT, OU owns them.

ps...I'm no OU fan

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 03:47 AM
cj,

Nice try bub. It's still a great ass kicking that I thoroughly enjoyed. As Tommie Frazier said to Warren Sapp in the orange bowl, "it ain't where I've been fat boy. It's where I wind up".

Sums this bowl season up nicely (for me).

Btw, you're a maryland fan, right? I was at the 1978 Sun Bowl when TEXAS shut out the terps 42-0. I know you'll reply "that was 26 years ago". Well, Yes it was. We're still waiting for you boys to get back to the level of play where we can repeat the whipping. :cool:

55-19.

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 04:02 AM
I'm all in favor of a playoff myself but I do think they got the two correct teams, maybe by accident, if nothing else. Auburn's non-conf. schedule is a joke. Maybe some year they'll figure it out that the popularity of the sport would skyrocket with a tournament like the Final 4. But the greedy presidents of the major conferences apparently haven't figured that out yet.

Valuist,

It's so difficult to determine "who's best " until they play. Only way to decide is a playoff. I still have no real clue as to just HOW GOOD Utah is. I know they're good, but till they play a legit top 5 team there's no way of telling. I thot that 0u was overrated (they always regress after late October) but still thought they would handle USC...Glad I was wrong...But I wasn't real impressed w/ USC after the UCLA game either.

Gotta have a playoff....

Personally I'd give Auburn a pass on that soft OOC b/c of the (normally) toughness of the SEC. Turns out this season that conf mighta been down afterall, but if a team runs thru that conference undefeated it's normally hard to deny they belonged.

The system stinks, all around. Not just for the MNC game, but all the bcs bowls as well. A playoff is needed but they're stuck in this piss poor model til about 2010 or so (when the recently signed FOX contract is up).

cj
01-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Elk,

Maryland is a basketball school. Let me know when you hang up a banner! :D Little bit of a down year in football, but they still aren't bad. Terps were in the Orange Bowl 3 years ago, then crushed Tennessee and West Virginia in bowl games the next two years.

Be honest now, would you rather have played and lost in the Championship game, or won the Rose Bowl?

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 07:46 AM
cj,

Answer to your last question..., I'd rather not get embarrassed and have my ass handed to me on national tevee in something called a "championship game". At least show up. 0u couldn't even do that much.

Have to hand it to Bobbie Stoops tho. He's not called Mr Spetember and October for nothing. He is rather awesome... until the last week of October every year.

As for us, we've been in the Final Four since Maryland last went. We were looking foreward to playing the Terps, but I guess you guys couldn't make it ;)

Fwiw, Stoops has suddenly become the media's whipping boy down here, supplanting Mack suddenly. As odd as it may sound, it's probably best to win the Rose Bowl, and in the way we won, rather than get slaughtered and exposed in the MNC game last nite....Poor Bobbie Stoops is getting ripped. Already the "I'd like to apologize to all OKLAHOMA fans" line is getting run over and over. (mack's old line to TEXAS fans).

Before halftime, Stoops and Peterson had a look on their faces that Southwest Airlines would love to run their commercial on..."Want to get away?".....Stoops had the same deer in headlights look he had last year vs LSU, KSU.

So, "no"....I wouldn't want the option of getting embarrased like that in front of the football world on championship nite, having to get abused by Auburn fans on 0u being a "fraud" team.....I'd rather win the Rose Bowl than what 0u went thru.

And I'm loving every moment of it. :cool:

cj
01-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Maybe if you guys could ever beat OU, you would get the chance to play in the Championship. I agree the BCS sucks and there should be a playoff, but you should at least have to win your conference to get invited.

In basketball, they used to play a game between the losers of the Final Four games. It was called a consolation game. Outside of Texas and Michigan, nobody really cared much about the Rose Bowl. I'd rather have my team have a shot at the title then play in one of the conso games, but that's just me. I don't care how bad they might lose.

If you want to talk embarrassing, THIS is embarrasing:
Oct 9, 2004 vs Texas W, 12-0
Oct 11, 2003 at No. 5 Texas W 65-13
Oct 12, 2002 No. 9 Texas W 35-24
Oct 6, 2001 at No. 5 Texas W 14-3
Oct 7, 2000 at No. 5 Texas W 63-14

Rationalize it any way you want, its ugly. 189-54.

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 10:54 AM
cj,

First you say you aren't an 0u fan, then you jump on their little hole filled chuckwagon (the one whose wheels flew off last nite). :)

Mack beat Stoopsie in their first meeting 38-28, Stoopsie has taken the last 5. Next season they have the biggest turnover in starters in Stoops tenure, plus he lost 3 asst's this morning (the rats are jumping ship, apparently). 'Cuse took Pellini and Sumlin, Okla State took Wyatt to be the OCO.

The shine is OFF stoopsie now. Next season w/b a test for him vs Texas since playing us early w/b more of a hinderance to him than Mack w/ all the new starters..

Hey, but you're a Maryland fan....Lets talk about that bowl game you didn't go to this season ;)...Since you boys went to the final four, TEXAS has (1) won a national championship in baseball in 2002, finished 2nd in the CWS in 2004, (2) went to the final four in basketball, (3) Finished in the top 4 in football this season. Maryland has done nothing that I know of.

cj
01-05-2005, 11:15 AM
See I struck a nerve, sorry, just friendly discussion.

Maryland has won a football championship, as well as basketball, and are reigning ACC champs in hoops, by far the best conference in the land. If you want to talk that non-sport college baseball, I could start bringing out track and soccer and lacrosse, but few care about those, just like baseball.

When it comes to college sports, there are two, then there are the rest.

And it all goes back to taking pride in seeing a team that has embarrassed yours five times in a row beaten by someone else. I mean in those scores down there, I see some 60s on the OU side.

If that is what makes you tick, good for you. I'd rather root for my team to do the job. Maybe you should go on QVC and order some Trojan gear.

ElKabong
01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
cj,

Dude, look at the emoticons, lol. Just smacking here. Someday our paths will likely cross at a track & I'll still be talking sheet to you about the 42-0 Sun Bowl.

Our hoops program had 4 or 5 wins over 0u's recently, no one made a big deal about it. These things go in cycles. In the 90s 0u (football) only beat us twice the entire decade, this stuff swings one way for awhile. From what I see of 0u I think their time is up.

Folks can say what they like. Our program has accomplished a LOT over the past few years. As for baseball, you know it's big down here on the collegiate level. We have 3 major sports in this conference. That's a fact.

#4 in the nation w/ a season ending Rose Bowl was very nice. Our hoops team is looking strong, the baseball team is a top 5 program. Stoops is losing assistants left and right...Life is good. :cool:

Later.

cj
01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I really am no OU fan, I just have a house there. I don't hate them like my wife does, but definitely not a fan.

I know baseball is big in the Big 12, probably bigger than basketball for a lot of people. Its similar to lacrosse in the East in that its very regional.

I hate Stoops' press conferences, I was hoping he took Spurrier's place a few years back.