PDA

View Full Version : HTR OR TVG

BIG HIT
01-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi guy's any you like one over other.? As far as i can see htr carry the cheaper trk's where tvg dozen't.How one's service over other

Memogram
01-04-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a related question to HRTV/TVG. My friend has both and I have been over to his house the last few weeks to watch, wager. I cannot stand either (for a number of reasons). My question is, is there a way to get the direct feeds from certain tracks (such as Aqueduct, Santa Anita) over the internet and put those up on a big screen tv?

If so, is the quality decent?

Thanks

ceejay
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
As far as i can see htr carry the cheaper trk's where tvg dozen't. Not really in the winter meets, where HRTV carries GP and SA.

TriSuper
01-04-2005, 04:16 PM
You can connect a laptop or desktop computer to a TV if you have a video card with a "video-out" jack on the PC. You can find the cables theat you will need at any store that sells audio/video equipment. The quality depends on your video card and what resolution the card is able to display.

I personally prefer HRTV and I do get both TVG and HRTV on DishNetwork. I find the TVG folks ramble about nothing a lot of the time where the HRTV folks ramble but they are usually rambling about racing. One thing for TVG is, the actual video and Sound seem alot brighter and louder than HRTV.

trisuper
My blog:

http://racingreport.blogspot.com/

Memogram
01-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have the same complaint about TVG as you do, they never shut up!

QuarterCrack
01-04-2005, 07:20 PM
TVG has Priscilla. Nuff said! :)

Valuist
01-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I would have to agree with some of the above comments: for picture quality, I'd say TVG. For spoken words, I'd take HRTV. At least they don't talk down to the viewers. TVG seems to think they invented handicapping, and that all viewers are following along with the hosts selections.

Buddha
01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure exactly where to look into info, but a buddy of mine who owns a bar said they got some sort of satellite that is from roberts communications network or something, that shows live feeds to the tracks. I think he said it is like $100 a month or so, and I would assume you have to have some sort of satellite reciever for just their network.

BillW
01-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I think it's the same feed as the tracks get (it is a dish service). Every once in a while I see the boilerplate advertisement on an idle channel at HOU. I'll make a note next time I'm up at HOU.

JustRalph
01-05-2005, 12:38 AM
TVG has Priscilla. Nuff said! :)
Have you ever seen her up close?

Tee
01-05-2005, 12:41 AM
If I just had HRTV to make the comparison!! :) :)

BillW
01-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Have you ever seen her up close?
Yea if we're basing it on the babes, Joanne Jones has it all over Prisilla.

superfecta
01-05-2005, 12:56 AM
tvg is much easier to understand in how they display info on the races.They used to be even better but for some reason they got an enhanced scroll that is bigger but gives less info.HRTV is awful as far as structure (no real program info,they jump around to tracks to fill time and it can be frustrating to get only certain races on a card)And the odds display is bad, one set on one side for a race and another set on the other side for another race.Don't know for which race tho,it could be for the track showing or the track with the next post,or a featured track.
I really was excited when I got HRTV,till I watched it.Glad i didn't try to wager from the display,I can imagine how many people have bet on a horse with odds from another track.
As for P Ho,she still is better than the scarecrows on HRTV.

Valuist
01-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I don't know why TVG changed their scroll. The one they had previously was very good. The current one doesn't even give Pic 3 payoffs.

JimG
01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure exactly where to look into info, but a buddy of mine who owns a bar said they got some sort of satellite that is from roberts communications network or something, that shows live feeds to the tracks. I think he said it is like $100 a month or so, and I would assume you have to have some sort of satellite reciever for just their network.

www.rtn.tv

Speed Figure
01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Have you ever seen her up close?I've seen her up close many times and she looks good in person. Joanne Jones, wears far to much makeup.

Milleruszk
01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=TriSuper]
I personally prefer HRTV and I do get both TVG and HRTV on DishNetwork. I find the TVG folks ramble about nothing a lot of the time where the HRTV folks ramble but they are usually rambling about racing. One thing for TVG is, the actual video and Sound seem alot brighter and louder than HRTV

I noticed the same thing.........the sound is much louder on TVG than HRTV. I thought that it was my Dish.

If the inane banter by the hosts on these channels drives you nuts..........Hit the mute button!! I don't let them bother me. LOL I'm happy to be able to see the races in my home! That is the important thing.

Buddha
01-05-2005, 12:59 PM
www.rtn.tv

for a serious at home player, i think that is very affordable, and it should include most tracks, unlike the cdsn blockouts on hrtv and the mec blockouts on tvg

edit: after looking at the schedule, i dont see any cdsn tracks. hmmm.

BillW
01-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Buddha,

If you check their schedule, they are quite a bit short of full coverage on the tb's. AQU and TP are missing today for instance. :rolleyes: It looks like a MEC owned operation.

Bill

Buddha
01-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I see that. Unless there are more than one satellite owned services like that, it appeared that everything that they got at the track they could get. I will have to see what kind they actually have the next time that I talk to him.

cj
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Its Magna, its even on their web site somewhere. This game is tough enough without coughing up 1200 bucks a year just to watch video, especially when it can be had for free if you really want it with minimal effort.

garyoz
01-05-2005, 08:12 PM
RTN was the forerunner to HRTV. I got the RTN service the first two years it was offered (1999-2000), then got frustrated with it. I had terrible satellite interference problems with it. I wouldn't get the signal for hours at a time. My techs said it was terrestrial interference, but I never had trouble with DirecTV or DISH. It was also difficult to point (it uses a wierd satellite). I had to have 3 different installation companies in to finally point it. Signal strength never got above a scale of 54 and 70 was considered the minimal acceptable installation. The dish is also larger than the DirecTV and DISH network dishes (I believe 36 inches, I still have it). I would be careful before getting involved.

I think HRTV and TVG in combination are more than adequate. I mute them and stream NYRA on my computer, listening to the track feed except for calls of races which I listen to on the TV. Sometimes I listen to TVG and use them as a contrary indicator, especially Mr. B. He seems affable enough, but is a chalk eater who seems to use a Ainsle based methodology out of the 1960's. I do like Frank and Alex Solis and even Simon Bray.

Horseplayers are always quick complain. I remember how happy I was back in 1993, when Autotote's phone service began taking out of state customers. I was living in NYC at the time, and it meant I wouldn't have to go across the river to bet the Meadowlands. It was terrific--I could bet on the phone and then watch the replay show at Midnight. I was very happy with that arrangement compared to the altenrative. That was only 11 years ago.

Now I can sit at my desk watch tracks on two channels, & get streaming video of the track feeds and bet any track I want on a broadband Internet connection and bet via the Internet. I have two TV's with different converters so I watch HRTV and TVG simultaneously. Seems to me on the video side we have a pretty good deal, and it will only get better with technology.

Now, if they could just do something about the takeout and the use of drugs, the game might have a chance.