PDA

View Full Version : GP Opener

horsemaven
01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
The 2005 Gulfstream meet got off to a rocky start this afternoon. The first race was declared a "no contest" with all wagers refunded when the starting gate could not be removed from the track in time. I did not bet the race because I want to get a feel for the new surface. However, I feel sorry for those who wagered on #6 Rahyvinsky and # 4 Strike Three because both horses had pulled away from the field on the turn and were threatening to run 1-2 to the wire.

Mike

cj
01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Anyone heard of this happening before?

IRISHLADSTABLE
01-03-2005, 01:21 PM
CJ,
I seen lots of things happen at the track over the years, but never this

Jimmy

cj
01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Will the 2d race EVER go off? I'm sure McSchell can explain this apparently poor beginning to the meet, so I'll wait to hear from him! :eek:

cj
01-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Now they've cancelled the last race 3 hours ahead of time, this is getting comical! Ever heard of speeding up time between races? I've seen it work, so I know it can be done. Frankie, Frankie, Frankie....

cj
01-03-2005, 01:53 PM
3d race update:

Its been post time for 5 minutes now, and the screen has just went away from watching horses jog around to show the exacta matrix!

Going from comical to sad :rolleyes:

levinmpa
01-03-2005, 02:13 PM
I saw this happen at Golden Gate in the 80's. I remember it happened twice in the same week. Once on the turf course and once on the main track. Announcer John Gibson was yelling "pull up riders, pull up". When they turned for home, the gate was sitting right where it was when they left. A little while after that management put up warning lights on each of the poles around track in case of a future problem.

breakage
01-03-2005, 02:46 PM
The tents around that circus seem appropriate now. j/k Frankie :o

Steve 'StatMan'
01-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Regarding the starting gate, I've heard of a couple incidents, one at Turfway Park in the mud, either the gate was stuck in the mud, or an axle broke and they couldn't move it out of the way. Perhaps in another instance elsewhere the tractor had a problem and they couldn't pull the gate away. It is that outside risk every time a 2-turn race is run.

The Hawk
01-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Rahyinsky was stopping on the lead even before all the others were pulled up. He then went back in front and was the only horse ridden out to the wire, as his rider apparently didn't realize what was happening. If that race had been run in it's entirety he would have been well off the board. Not sure about Strike Three, though.

Pace Cap'n
01-03-2005, 04:29 PM
To file for the future...

What jockey won the first race at the "new" Gulfstream?

Gary Bain...

cj
01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
If Vic apologizes one more time, I'm gonna puke.

Valuist
01-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Saw something similar at Ellis a few years back. A rider was thrown at the start of the race but the race continued on. I remember being alive in the P3 to two horses who were drawing away. Just before the 1/8th pole, the riders stood up. WTF was going on? Same thing: no contest. But it still sounds bizarre at GP. I'm glad I didn't head over to the OTB at lunch.

Steve- did you ever hear of an incident at Arlington years ago where Georgeff had to call the horses to run single file thru the stretch because the starting gate truck was stalled? I've heard about it from the old timers.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Steve- did you ever hear of an incident at Arlington years ago where Georgeff had to call the horses to run single file thru the stretch because the starting gate truck was stalled? I've heard about it from the old timers.

Wow - No, I hadn't. Wish our season hadn't just ended, so I could ask some of the people I know.

I do remember one at Hawthorne when Georgeoff was warning the riders finishing down the stretch to go wide to avoid the spill that had happened in first turn, horses and riders were still down on the turf course (which is pretty narrow).

Tom
01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
This happened at FL years ago. The race was 1m70 and as the horses rounded the clubhouse thurn, the ole tractor motor died. Couldn't budge the thing.
Outriders went off UP the stretch waving off the horses as they rounded the final turn. It was the only race I didn't lose that day! :D

JackS
01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
It's Murphy's Law guys. If anything can possibly go wrong, it will eventually go wrong.
Ever wonder why 10,000 vehicles can safely cross a RR track but the only thing that will stall on the tracks is a gasoline tanker truck or a school bus?

betovernetcapper
01-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Rahyinsky was clearly backing up and wouldn't have hit the board, but then the other riders pulled up and he finished several lengths in front. I wonder how this "win" has affected Rahyinsky-anyone think it might be a confidence builder?

karlskorner
01-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Brand new John Deere Tractor refused to go into reverse, Stewards decided to cancel 1st race at 3/8th pole, rather than have bad things happen, gate was removed in time, but race was cancelled. A delay in getting Jocks silks to the temporary Jocks quarters in the 2nd wasted too much time and Stewards decided to cancel 10th race before running into darkness.

I think a new North American track record for the 1 mile turf was set in the 9th at 1:31.41, I will have to check it out, left after the 7th having reached my goal for the day.

Tom
01-03-2005, 09:36 PM
From BRIS Free Charts: GP R9:
================================================== =======
Off Time: 5:06 Start: 12 went. Good for all. Track: Firm Weather: 77o
Fractions: :224, :444, 1:073, 1:312 (:22.91, :44.80, 1:07.76, 1:31.41)
================================================== =======

betovernetcapper
01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Absurdly fast fractions set by Tacirring making his 1st start in almost a year-still very fast final time compared to the only other turf event. Interesting race.

Lasix1
01-04-2005, 12:43 AM
GP Race 1 today reminded me of other weirdness I've seen at race tracks. A few years ago in a 6f maiden race at Remington Park the #1 horse wheeled as the gates opened and began a furious sprint for the finish line going the wrong way. Track announcer Jim Byers began screaming for the riders to exercise caution because of the loose horse, but the race wasn't stopped. The miscreant continued his backward rush for the finish line until an alert outrider finally chased him off the track just before the field turned for home, averting what could have been a tragic confrontation at the wire. As the race was declared official, a friend from Taiwan asked seriously why they didn't "just shoot him." I was then forced into a lengthy explanation of cultural differences, animal rights, humane treatment, etc. Everytime we get together now we recall this story with laughter.

ElKabong
01-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Frankie always wanted a Racino in Florida...Today it was 'Delta Downs East'.

I fully expect next week to have moving objects popup somewhere down the stretch. You know, cardboard cutouts of Lee Chang or Frank Stronach shoot up from the ground, making jocks maneuver around.....Kinda like a tricked up Putt-Putt course..... :p

Steve 'StatMan'
01-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Here's the link to DRF's story on GP's Opening Day. Curiously, no mention of the new record on the turf course.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/61800.html

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Lets hope the unbiased NY Legislature (yeah right) takes note.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-04-2005, 01:41 AM
For one day, at least, it's like they didn't race at GP, but at a new track, with the Track Code of FUD - for F'd Up and Downs! :D

Steve 'StatMan'
01-04-2005, 02:48 AM
OK, I'll be nice - maybe FUD stands for Florida - Under Development ;)

Bobby
01-04-2005, 10:06 AM
i just think Magna is a joke. Wonder how much longer they can go on without making $. I mean they have a new world record on first day. previously set by Elusive Quality (smarty's dad), and a bunch of idiots watching the races from tents. Drf said lots of people were leaving after 2nd race, so I guess not too dumb. Then a new tractor want get into gear????

garyoz
01-04-2005, 01:35 PM
How about this issue of rocks on the track? Does not sound good for horses or riders.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-gulfstream04jan04,0,6376648.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

Incidently www.equidaily.com did good job of covering opening day through its links to real newspapers, much more critical than the DRF. The DRF has to at least be political in covering racing. Don't expect real journalism they have to promote the sport in order to sell PP's.

46zilzal
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
GP has traditionally been a speedster's paradise......Still that way???

garyoz
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Way too soon to have any opinion on track bias.

CryingForTheHorses
01-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Will the 2d race EVER go off? I'm sure McSchell can explain this apparently poor beginning to the meet, so I'll wait to hear from him! :eek:

Geeze Im had to sit and think about this one,Just adds more fuel to the fire for you Stronach bashers.Im a little shocked myself! Give the guy a break! If you really want to blame anyone, Blame JOHN DEERE..It was a new tractor,Maybe get a lifetime free tractor for all this mess, In all reality they were very concerned for the safty of the riders and horses as darkness hits us around 6pm,Im sure that was a big factor in the cancellation.MEC is trying to give you a good product,

CryingForTheHorses
01-04-2005, 09:29 PM
i just think Magna is a joke. Wonder how much longer they can go on without making $. I mean they have a new world record on first day. previously set by Elusive Quality (smarty's dad), and a bunch of idiots watching the races from tents. Drf said lots of people were leaving after 2nd race, so I guess not too dumb. Then a new tractor want get into gear????

Im wondering if you did bet any races at Gulfstream on opening day?...If you did then the "joke" is playing into your own hand!

cj
01-04-2005, 10:26 PM
MEC is trying to give you a good product,

I'm hoping for a good product myself, but the opener didn't inspire much confidence. Very amateurish...

PaceAdvantage
01-05-2005, 01:13 AM
MEC is trying to give you a good product,
NYRA's been giving a great product for years.

MEC has been in the business quite some time and owns a number of tracks. You'd think a good product would be easy to come by, especially at Gulfstream Park. Oh well.....

And people think MEC deserves the NYRA franchise??? :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Tom
01-05-2005, 05:43 PM
MEC wants to give a good product?
Like the one they have at SA? How long have they owned that track?
Slots not on the horizon there, MEC abandons the plant.
Good product at GP?
Yup-that is why they withheld the signal last year. Good business strategy.
Franky want ot make money. End of story. Nothing wrong with that, but don't go around telling everyone you are looking out for them when you are not.
NYRA alreadygives a good product...why is Franky trying to grab it up? He owns l=plenty of track right now that are putting out TERRIBLE products.
Do you get free stall space or something for touting him :rolleyes: :eek: :D

BillW
01-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Why did GP schedule a 10th race tomorrow? If they couldn't fit it in on Monday do they think the sun setting 2 minutes later is going to help?

breakage
01-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Why did GP schedule a 10th race tomorrow? If they couldn't fit it in on Monday do they think the sun setting 2 minutes later is going to help?
It was cancelled on Monday because their opening act (race 1) flopped and then they couldn't find the custumes (silks) for act 2 (race 2). Bring on the clowns!!!

The Hawk
01-05-2005, 09:05 PM
With this kind of mismanagement, all they need are a couple of indictments and three or four statebred races a day and Gulfstream could pass for NYRA!

PaceAdvantage
01-06-2005, 03:16 AM
Funny thing about NYRA.....

I'm curious...have any other tracks in country ever had a teller commit some sort of fraud against the IRS?

If they had, I wonder if the simple act of arresting the teller or tellers and prosecuting them, along with any managers who permitted the crimes to occur would have been ample justice. Or, would the entire organization have to be indicted, and many, many, MANY innocent employees made to suffer because of a couple of mutuel clerks and a bad manager.

Hmmmmm......yup....that sounds fair, doesn't it?

Where are all the liberals now? Where is andicap? I believe he favored the way NYRA has been beaten down on trumped up politically inspired (from many different ends of the spectrum) charges.

Don't get me started again.....oh wait....you already have! :mad:

Lasix1
01-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Underneath the latest posts about the problems of GP Race 1 on the Board are a series of four ads for John Deere tractors. Didn't I read that it was a new John Deere that wouldn't go into gear that caused all the problems?

andicap
01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
PA,
Here I am.

I never endorsed MEC to get the NYRA franchise. So to bring me into this discussion is a little silly. I'm not a Magna apologist in the same way that I am not a NYRA apologist like yourself. To say NYRA's product is great is simply an overstatement as "Hawk" referred to above. Saratoga is great. So are some Belmont cards. How many days have we had to sit through lousy New York bred maidens and cheap claimers or a NW1 with 5 horses? NYRA puts on a good product and runs a decent operation, but let's not overstate the matter. And to once again excuse the NYRA wrongdoing as just a political vendetta is merely embarking on some political witch-hunting of your own. You bring your own anti-Spitzer bias to the argument instead of debating on the merits. Deflection, deflection, deflection.

MEC screwed up at GP on opening day. To give them a pass by saying it's early ignores the old saying, "You only one chance to make a first impression."

Unless they get their act together real fast I would be real reluctant to give them the NYRA franchise considering GP is supposed to be their showcase track, the crown jewel that makes everyone forget about Pimlico and the other fiascos.

But two wrongs don't make a right -- three wrongs for that matter if you bring CDSN into the NYRA franchise arena. They don't put a lot of money into their tracks either -- outside of Churchill Downs -- as Hollywood Park attendees will tell you.

Reminds me of Jimmy Breslin's book on the 1962 Mets. "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?"

CryingForTheHorses
01-06-2005, 07:32 PM
You guys are soooo funny, Makes me laugh when I read these posts, Talk about a henhouse...who the hell even mentioned the NYRA, PA you just love NYRA so much its on your brain!,Dont know why you are comparing these 2 tracks as the tread is about GP opening day,I can sense your total glee in the GP first day flaws, I also geta big kick out of your followers, I look at things this way...SH-T happens

karlskorner
01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
From T. Times

AQUEDUCT CARD DELAYED BY ERROR WITH MUTUAL TERMINALS

A commications error between the mutuel system and the mutual terminals at Aqudect resulted in a ten-minute delay in post for the sixth race on it's Thursady card and prevented patrons from placingt bets from just before the fifth race and until before the day's seventh race.

Patrons at all other outlets were able to wager without interruption.

As a result of the inconvenience to on-track customers NYRA will offer clubhouse admission on Friday while programs for Thursdays races can be exchanged for a current program any day during the next two weeks.

END

It appears that even the NYRA can have problems.

andicap
01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
From T. Times

AQUEDUCT CARD DELAYED BY ERROR WITH MUTUAL TERMINALS

A commications error between the mutuel system and the mutual terminals at Aqudect resulted in a ten-minute delay in post for the sixth race on it's Thursady card and prevented patrons from placingt bets from just before the fifth race and until before the day's seventh race.

Patrons at all other outlets were able to wager without interruption.

As a result of the inconvenience to on-track customers NYRA will offer clubhouse admission on Friday while programs for Thursdays races can be exchanged for a current program any day during the next two weeks.

END

It appears that even the NYRA can have problems.

Not the Great NYRA.

Tom, I have nothing against MEC, but I think people believe your do-no-wrong attitude toward Stronach is the same as PA's is toward NYRA.

I like what Stronach is trying to accomplish -- turning tracks into full-blown enertainment centers ....but people wonder (or at least I do) that he is overextended and is trying to do too much. Certainly, PA is right in that Stronach's stockholders think so.

Further, MEC has no full-time PR person. They had a low-level manager but fired her a year or two ago and never replaced her. That killed the company big-time when it pulled its signal and was never fully able to articulate its reasons for doing so. It sounded to the public like a pure anti-competitive move, but we never really heard the arguments about revenues from incoming signals and all of that.
MEC's refusal to hire a full-time communications executive shows its disdain for the public because -- to my mind -- it shows the company holds public relations in very low regard. Jim McAlpine and others may be fine people but they can't do PR and run the company at the same time.
NYRA has always had a full PR dept. and gets its point of view out to the public very well. That was the problem when Kenny Noe ran things -- he was so arrogant he could care less what people wrote and said.
Bill Nader, the SVP there, is extremely PR minded and incredibly available to the media.

Suff
01-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Its hard to feel bad for a Guy worth Billions and spends 100's of millions like I spend Dollars... But I do. I like Stronach and I feel bad that he got off to a bad start down there. I like florida racing and love gulfstream park and If I am up and walking around it is 100% I'm going down to see the finished product in 2006.

There's a guy Blogging from Gulfstream this year if your interested in following a Gulfstream Blog.

http://racingreport.blogspot.com/

andicap
01-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Is this someone we know? He links to CJ's pacefigures site, but not here.

I see CJ's fame is growing.

Suff
01-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I He links to CJ's pacefigures site,.

I don't know him at all..... I just started reading his stuff about a week ago. I didn't realize he linked to CJ until you pointed it out to me. Thats a neat little curve ball though.... Raises my curiousity as well.

cj
01-07-2005, 07:00 PM
The guy asked me a while back if he could link to my site, hadn't thought much of it since. He seems like a nice guy, certainly couldn't hurt!

cj
01-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Is this someone we know? He links to CJ's pacefigures site, but not here.

I think it is Parlay_Pete from here.

Maybe its the $59 winners on top like the last at Aqu yesterday! ;) :cool:

karlskorner
01-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Mondays 1 mile run on the turf at GP in world record time of 1:31.41 has been verified. The certificate of authenticty came from the firm of Calvin, Giordano @ Associates which confirmed the distance of the race, Teleview Racing Patrol Inc., the company responsible for the timing of all GP races, has reconfirmed the time of the race. Toby Callet and Richie "the beard" hand timed for Equibase.

JackS
01-08-2005, 10:24 AM
One of the So. Cal tracks was headed this way a few years ago. Management had it torn up and purposely slowed down.

Valuist
01-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I was just on Gulfstream Park's website and although quite large, I still couldn't find where today's scratches are located. It's after 11 am Hallandale time; you'd think they'd be up by now.

Tom
01-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Today's scratches at Gulfstream.....

Race 1, Race 4, and Race 7 :D :D :D

Suff
01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Today's scratches at Gulfstream.....

Race 1, Race 4, and Race 7 :D :D :D

when I look at thier races.. I scratch my head? Cards are weak.

Premier Florida meet is laboring hard.... I don't know how these guys are making money running for 8 grand and 10 grand all day...

breakage
01-08-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't know how these guys are making money running for 8 grand and 10 grand all day...
I think most of them go for the weather.

PaceAdvantage
01-08-2005, 03:26 PM
PA,
Here I am.

I never endorsed MEC to get the NYRA franchise. So to bring me into this discussion is a little silly. I'm not a Magna apologist in the same way that I am not a NYRA apologist like yourself.

Read my note again. IT has nothing to do with Magna. It has to do with the way NYRA has been treated in the legal arena. I believe I read where you were happy with how NYRA has been treated by Spitzer and crew. I believe you said that the punishment fit the crime.

I (and many others) vehemently disagree. Your hardline stance on NYRA doesn't do justice to your more liberal ideas in other areas.

I can't believe for a minute that you favor the potential fall of the entire NYRA organization over a couple of law breaking clerks and a manager who looked the other way. But I do believe you have posted in the past that you approve of the punishments dealt out by Spitzer and crew....indicting the entire organization, instead of just dealing with the individual law breakers.

Again, my post to you had nothing to do with MEC.

karlskorner
01-08-2005, 05:46 PM
On GP's home page, on the left under red MEC find racing, open, 6th down scratches.changes, posted about 10:30am, updated during the day.

karlskorner
01-08-2005, 06:15 PM
From the Saratogian (url won't wrap)

The New York Racing association has made $12M worth of operating cost reduction, but overall losses for '04 will top $10M according to CFO William Byrne. For '03 they lost $20M. How did they reduce the loss, they fired 200 people, all mid or low level personel, the big boys stayed on. Cuts were made in all departments including security, facilities and cleaning, the audit department was eliminated, notice the top brass is still there. $30M in 2 years, what will '05 bring ?

CryingForTheHorses
01-09-2005, 12:31 PM
From the Saratogian (url won't wrap)

The New York Racing association has made $12M worth of operating cost reduction, but overall losses for '04 will top $10M according to CFO William Byrne. For '03 they lost $20M. How did they reduce the loss, they fired 200 people, all mid or low level personel, the big boys stayed on. Cuts were made in all departments including security, facilities and cleaning, the audit department was eliminated, notice the top brass is still there. $30M in 2 years, what will '05 bring ?

PA I had to quote this as I wanted you to see the NYRA also LOSES money!..Looks like mega not MEC dollars!!
Ill bet NYRA has a lot of baggage, Im sure that's why the big guys didnt get fired, They would squeal on each other. Dont worry PA,Im sure 05 will be a brighter year!!

Suff
01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Those loss's include the 3 Million dollar fine... as well as all the operating expenses associatted with setting up the Independent Monitors. And those were and are Multi-million dollar expenses as well.

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2005, 03:46 AM
I wonder what those 200 fired people think of Elliot Spitzer?

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Hey McSchell, nobody beats MECA when it comes to losses:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=MECA&annual

To sum it up:

MECA MADE $13.4 Million in 2001
MECA LOST $14.3 Million in 2002
MECA LOST $105 Million (WOW) in 2003

What will they do in 2004? So far, excluding the final quarter of 2004, they are down ONLY 75 million this year.....

YIPEE!

karlskorner
01-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Don't do the crime, if you can't pay the fine.

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Don't worry Karl, everything is paid. All terms have been met.

karlskorner
01-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Read my post "New York's state of mind"