PDA

View Full Version : Is Sam Houston Struggling?

sq764
01-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I see they are now going to Fri, Sat, Sun racing only for this month?

I would be interested to know the handle of a Sun night vs a Wed or Thurs night..

ElKabong
01-03-2005, 05:59 PM
SQ, they did the same thing last season also.

sq764
01-03-2005, 09:20 PM
SQ, they did the same thing last season also.
Wonder why..

I look forward to Thurs night Sam... Not Sun night sam.. :-)

ElKabong
01-04-2005, 01:20 AM
I asked Purple power last year and I can't recall all the reasons he gave. It was more than just lack of horses, but I honestly can't recall.

Their daily avg handle went down last season, so that doesn't help. If PP can chime in, he'd have your answer.

PurplePower
01-16-2005, 10:26 PM
I asked Purple power last year and I can't recall all the reasons he gave. It was more than just lack of horses, but I honestly can't recall.

Their daily avg handle went down last season, so that doesn't help. If PP can chime in, he'd have your answer.
Last year we did not go to Sunday racing until February (after Super Bowl). This year, management decided we would race on Sunday in January. Track and horsemen agreed to race fewer days so as to maintain full fields and keep purses up. We generally handle more on Sunday than Wednesday because we get a good handle from Los Alamitos on Sunday. We will go to Thursday through Sunday racing in February. Most interesting to me was that we will only race 3-day weekends during Quarter Horse season except for July 4 Monday and Labor Day Monday. Govenor has said VLT's are not viable alternative this year. That sound you hear may be the building of gallows on which Horse Racing in Texas will be "hung" as the "bad boy" it is protrayed to be by the anti-gambling crowd in Texas.

shanta
01-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Purple Power,
I think the racing has been very good this whole meet due in large part to what you said about wanting to keep field sizes up. My hats off to all you folks at SHRP!

Richie :)

Zaf
01-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I like the big fields also ! I am happy with the product this year.

ZAFONIC

ElKabong
01-16-2005, 11:53 PM
PP, come to think of it, you're right. Sunday racing didn't come along till after the SB last season.

I still think Shammy's best hope to gain new fans, while holding onto their current fanbase, is for the track to feature Purple Power in a role much like Mark Whatsizname at MNR on simulcasts. Get a knowledgeable female co host ala Nancy Mcmichael along with Purple power and let them do their thing.

It'd be a hit. Purple Power has an ability to communicate handicapping theories and valuable racing info to both experts and novices in a manner few (if any) can. HOU needs to utilize him to succeed, and why a Delta Downs or some other $lot$ racino hasn't snapped him up, I'll never understand. He's a great ambassador for the sport.