PDA

View Full Version : Playing DVD in computer questions.

trying2win
12-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Can someone enlighten me on playing DVD's in your computer? More specifically...

1. If you don't have a slot for playing DVD's in your computer (I only have a slot for playing CD's on mine), can the CD slot be amended by a computer technician to play DVD's as well?

or...

2. Do you have to buy a new computer with a special DVD slot?

or...

3. If one just has a CD slot, is the best advice "forget about adding a DVD slot to your old computer and just buy a separate DVD player"?

Thanks,

T2W

Dave Schwartz
12-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Just replace the CD-ROM with a DVD player or even a DVD-CDR combo.

They are cheap now. (Less than $60 I'd guess and a little for installation if you don't feel up to doing it yourself.)

Dave Schwartz

trying2win
12-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the tip. Your estimated cost sounds quite reasonable. I'll have to check it out with some computer repair shops.

T2W

trying2win
12-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Another few questions. Let's say you have a DVD player installed on your computer. Don't you have to have software to run the DVD player then? How do you know which is the best software to use. Is the best DVD software found by downloading some different brands on the internet on a trial basis, to see if any of them are worth purchasing? Is any of the free, DVD software offered on the internet any good? Or is it... beware!...the free DVD software is loaded with spyware or ???

I appreciate any advice someone can give me.

T2W

JustRalph
12-31-2004, 11:22 PM
When you buy the DVD drive..........it will come with Software.

for $99 bucks you can get a DVD burner drive. It will burn DVD's as well as allow you to watch movies..............

Great for Data Backup too..........they hold 4 Gigs.....of data..........

trying2win
12-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Ralph,

Thanks for the info.

T2W

Tom
12-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Related question....DRF Handicapping Expos...is there a way to skip past all those $#$^(*$^!@#$ commercials and jump right into the actual prgrams, which is what I paid for. Pretty chincy, putting commercials on something you pay for if you ask me.

BillW
12-31-2004, 11:58 PM
Pretty chincy, putting commercials on something you pay for if you ask me.
Kinda sounds like cable TV doesn't it. :eek:

Tom
01-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Uh, yeah.
Happy New Year, Bill!
(I am toasting you and pouring champagne down my throat as I post this) :D